Anyone doing Hypnobabies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 09-26-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my last pregnancy I started hypnobabies sometime in my second trimester. I practiced the self hypnosis techniques and got to a point where I'd listen to different tracks as I was sleeping at night (I'm now addicted to sleeping with my earbuds in my ears, though these days I'm listening to the news while I sleep).

One of the tracks, I can't recall the name, is about being healthy during your pregnancy. Prior to listening to this track, I had contracted early PUPPS - so annoying to have a rash on my chest and arms! But I found that when I was listening to this track, which included statements like "I have the perfect blood pressure" and "I have the right amount of iron" and such, the PUPPS disappeared. I didn't make the connection until I stopped listening at night to this track, and my PUPPS returned. After a couple of weeks I started listening to that track again (I had switched to the hypnosis tracks during that time) and the rashes went away.

My pregnancy with my older son, even though I was 5 years younger at the time, resulted in high blood pressure and lots of swelling which led to an induction (bleh). I realized that my last pregnancy, which was totally healthy despite my AMA, was at least in part due to listening to the hypnobabies tracks all night long for months.

And of course labor was way easier because I could put myself into a hypnotic state and lasted for many hours on pitocin before finally relenting to an epidural when I had not progressed much in 6 hours.

Of course, not wanting/expecting another child, I stupidly deleted the tracks from my iTunes and gave the discs and book to my doula because she worked so long during my labor. Now I have to look for a discounted set on ebay or craigslist - grr can't believe I have to pay for it again!

Is anyone else planning on doing hypnobabies?

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 47 Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I Hypnobabies! I did it with DS and attribute my awesome pg and short, easy homebirth mostly to my Hypnobabies study. After a couple losses, I've had a hard time starting the affirmations track before I'm more sure we won't have another first trimester loss. But, I'm really looking forward to starting that in the next week or two and then eventually doing the home study again and listening to the other tracks around the beginning of the third tri!

It really sucks that you got rid of your program and will have to get another. Is it possible to borrow it back from your doula (or at least have her let you put the tracks back on your iTunes)? If not, I would call Hypnobabies. I had reason to call a few times during DS's pg and I always got a call back, once from Kerry herself. They do offer the program at a discount when they have used copies available so at the very least maybe they can offer you that?

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#3 of 47 Old 09-26-2010, 02:51 PM

this is my first pg and my partner just bought me the hypnobabies home study a week or so ago... i haven't started the program other than reading through the introductions stuff... when is a good time to start? i'm just entering the 2nd tri and i'm thinking of starting soon. i'm really excited!!!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#4 of 47 Old 09-26-2010, 03:02 PM

I really think I will do hypnobabies. Nearly everyone I have read about that used it really liked it and attributed a great birth to it. I guess I need to get it ordered. I'm not really paying much attention to time and I'm nearly in the second trimester!

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#5 of 47 Old 09-26-2010, 03:11 PM

I really think I will do hypnobabies. Nearly everyone I have read about that used it really liked it and attributed a great birth to it. I guess I need to get it ordered. I'm not really paying much attention to time and I'm nearly in the second trimester!

namaste.gif

#6 of 47 Old 09-26-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
They do offer the program at a discount when they have used copies available so at the very least maybe they can offer you that?
I forgot about that - thanks! I'll look into it!

When I get it, I'll start the affirmations track early into the second trimester and begin the hypnosis tracks at the end of the second trimester or early into the third. The program periodically goes on sale for just over $100, so you ladies can keep a look out for it over the next few months.

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

#7 of 47 Old 09-26-2010, 06:31 PM

A friend of mine just birthed her third with Hypnobabies and loved it, I may see if she wants to sell hers.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#8 of 47 Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 PM

I am! I didn't with my first and had a very long labor (planned HB) which ended up in a C/S. I'm hoping the Hypnobabies will help things along this time and hopefully I will have a successful VBAC. I found the homestudy course on craigslist and I'm so excited to get started.

Tiffany partner to Charlie and Mama to DS Ciaran (1/08) and DS Finnian (4/11)
Adding a third in July!

#9 of 47 Old 09-26-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseoffred View Post
I am! I didn't with my first and had a very long labor (planned HB) which ended up in a C/S. I'm hoping the Hypnobabies will help things along this time and hopefully I will have a successful VBAC. I found the homestudy course on craigslist and I'm so excited to get started.
Ohhh I'm so jealous! I have an app on my phone for finding things on craigslist and hypnobabies still hasn't come up.

#10 of 47 Old 09-27-2010, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I see the course used on Ebay from time to time.
I'm going to try it this time around! I am really receptive to hypnosis and I am hopeful it will work well for me.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

#11 of 47 Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 AM

I did hypno the first 2 times but not specifically hypnobabies. I had a doula who was a hypnotherapist and we met several times and she did sessions with me and recorded them and I would listen to them on my own, too. The first time we met a bunch of times, the second not very much but she sent me cd's to listen to. This time- I called her when I found out I was pregnant and asked her to save the date. I want her there because she was there for the 1st 2. I like her, she has a voice like a narcotic and she helped a lot (esp. the 2nd time) but I'm not sure I will do any hypno sessions before this time. Still thinking about it.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#12 of 47 Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 PM

I used Hypnobirthing with my second birth and had an amazing experience with it. I'm planning in breaking out the CD again here in a few weeks once I'm solidly in the second trimester. Last time I only had the CD for about a month before going into labor. I'm intrigued to see what listening for most of the pregnancy will do!

I love the sound of the affirmations tracks. Hypnobirthing doesn't have that.. at least not the version I have. Well, there are affirmations in the one script you listen to at night, but not a whole recording of nothing but.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#13 of 47 Old 09-28-2010, 10:29 PM

How well does this work if you typically aren't receptive to hypnosis? I love the idea of hypnosis and I've tried it before and it really wasn't successful. (I admit that it was many years ago, however.) I really want to do something like this but hesitate to spend so much money if it might now work on me.
#14 of 47 Old 09-29-2010, 12:23 AM

i don't know if the hypnosis actually worked for me, but it did knock me out every single night. and i did end up having my husband whisper mantras to me through labor. that really helped. so did practicing relinquishing control. i think hypnobabies and prenatal yoga gave me a hell of a one-two punch for labor and let me go totally drug free in my homebirth, despite it being a bit of a hard labor.

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#15 of 47 Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayasmommy View Post
How well does this work if you typically aren't receptive to hypnosis? I love the idea of hypnosis and I've tried it before and it really wasn't successful. (I admit that it was many years ago, however.) I really want to do something like this but hesitate to spend so much money if it might now work on me.
Here is the answer Hypnobabies gives on their website. That was initially one of my concerns as well and I never felt like I was "hypnotized" during practice, but it all kicked in and worked during labor, so I would definitely recommend trying it if you are interested.

#16 of 47 Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM

I will and I am looking forward to it! I used it for my last birth, and I liked both the practise (gave me an excuse to lie down after dinner after a busy day chasing my toddler) and and the actual use during my lovely home birth.

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
#17 of 47 Old 10-02-2010, 09:55 PM

I used Hypnobabies with my last son and had a wonderful natural water birth! I can't wait to start on it again this time! It really helps during pregnancy too!

Tiffany, wife to Ian, mom to Kieron (4) and Callum (2). Baby Due Mid April, 2011!
#18 of 47 Old 10-23-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I'm reviving this old thread to add that I had my amnio the other day, and thought that if I could put myself into hypnosis and numb my uterus then I wouldn't need to purchase the hypnobabies program again. Well, it worked! I didn't feel a thing even though I haven't tried to hypnotize myself in 15 months. I'll purchase the positive affirmations track for 10 bucks off the website to keep healthy during my pregnancy, but I feel totally confident that I can get myself through labor without having to do all the practice sessions again. I love hypnobabies even more now than I did before!

#19 of 47 Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM

I found a used set on Ebay. It came with several extra CD's/MP3's.

Check out ebay!

namaste.gif

#20 of 47 Old 10-24-2010, 04:21 PM

I have been looking into Hypnobabies too - it seems to get better reviews than Hypnobirthing. I have a copy of the MP3's but I don't have the actual book. Does anyone know how I could get a copy of it? I did some Googling and apparently it has a lot of information so it seems like that would be useful.
#21 of 47 Old 10-24-2010, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I received the Hypnobabies course in the mail a couple days ago. There is a lot to it. I'm glad that I got it early so I can get started.

Ola, you might be able to purchase the book by itself via the hypnobabies company. It can't hurt to ask and see if they sell it.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

#22 of 47 Old 10-24-2010, 05:42 PM

I am also looking at the hypnobabies program. There's a Hypno-doula in town who teaches a Hypnobabies class and I was thinking about doing that. Have any of you taken the class? Was it worth the extra money? I have already had two easy homebirths so I think the class might be overkill for me, but just wonder if any of you have done it?

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#23 of 47 Old 10-24-2010, 06:46 PM

I just ran across a website that had a FAQ section that covers that, Ola. Near the bottom of that page is the number to call the Hypnobabies main office to order a workbook by itself.

#24 of 47 Old 10-24-2010, 08:28 PM

Although I didn't do hypnobabies I LOVE meditation for infertility, pregnancy, and birth. I just noticed hypnobabies has 2 cds just for twin pregnancies! I might have to get those (luckily they are sold separately!)

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#25 of 47 Old 10-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Wanted to pop in and mention that Hypnobabies is offering 20% off everything in their store except MP3s. You can get a code on either their Facebook page or Yahoo group (or PM me and I'll get one to you).

#26 of 47 Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post

Wanted to pop in and mention that Hypnobabies is offering 20% off everything in their store except MP3s. You can get a code on either their Facebook page or Yahoo group (or PM me and I'll get one to you).

Do you know if this is still going on?

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#27 of 47 Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 AM

It ended Nov. 5th. They usually have one every season (fall, winter, spring, summer), but sometimes they skip one. If you subscribe to the Yahoo or Facebook groups you can be updated when they do have another sale.

#28 of 47 Old 11-11-2010, 05:28 AM

After a lot of asking around, I found a friend who has the home study and is willing to lend it to me! I'm so excited! So I guess now I'm doing hypnobabies too. 

I have NO experience with hypnosis...I'm a little tentative, but I'm willing to throw myself into this. So I really really hope it pays off. 

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#29 of 47 Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 PM

I used the Hypnobirthing method by Marie Mongan - the book was OK but the CD's were the best. I loved, loved the concept of hypnobirth and it definitely worked for me. I had the smoothest pregnancy and a fairly smooth delivery, despite being a week late and being induced (blah) - I had determined I didn't want to be in labor for more than ten hours... I was admitted to the hospital at noon, no contractions until 5pm, and my DD was born at 10:03 on the nose! It was kind of amazing. And I'm a total skeptic generally. I am going to look into Hypnobabies, at least for some MP3's to play on my laptop at night... totally worth it. Anything that gets you meditating on the positive is great in my book, especially when pregnant!

-Erin

DD 3/19/07 and EDD 4/26/11

#30 of 47 Old 11-14-2010, 12:23 PM

Yesterday I had a session with a hypnotist and it was awesome! I had won a free session with her back in the spring (she does labor hypnosis and also EFT) and just got around to cashing it in. She was trained using the same program as Kerry (Hypnobabies founder) so she isn't an official Hypnobabies teacher, but she teaches pretty much the same techniques and uses the same terminology. The session was so relaxing and I felt like it was better than just listening to the CDs because I could give her feedback and tell her about specific things I wanted to focus on during the relaxation/hypnosis session. She told me I'm welcome to come to any of her hypnosis for birth classes during the rest of my pregnancy, free of charge. I'm definitely planning to take her up on that!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page