Headache relief? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-09-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Normally, I don't get headaches in pregnancy--so I am not sure what is going on--but I've been getting a bunch lately. I don't want to keep taking tylenol--it also doesn't always help. What do you do for headaches, and is anyone else getting them? They feel like migraines, so I guess it's hormonal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 10-09-2010, 06:07 PM

Me, too!! I've had a really awful headache that's just cropped about 1.5 weeks ago and it doesn't really go away. I thought it was stress related, but now that my stressful event is over, they're still present although not as bad. I was thinking about booking a massage because I think it's related to tension in my back and neck. Tylenol did not help.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#3 of 17 Old 10-09-2010, 08:30 PM

I figured out how to avoid headaches in the evening - don't watch TV laying down. I was doing that a lot and got a headache every time. 20 min after sitting up, it's gone. So, I'm trying not to lay down to watch tv anymore. That and drinking enough water.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 17 Old 10-09-2010, 10:02 PM

I don't usually get headaches at all, but now that I'm pregnant I have been getting them more often--nothing unbearable, but I've taken Tylenol and am also looking for solutions. I've tried this MigraStick stuff--it's essentially lavender and peppermint oils you roll onto your forehead. I don't know that it does a ton for the headache but the rolling feels good and the smell is super relaxing.

Also, what about a damp, hot mask across the eyes? That helps my husband with his sinus headaches. Don't know if it's the same thing.

GumshoeGirl--I got a massage yesterday and it was absolutely amazing. I get major tension knots in my neck and shoulders, too (it keeps me up at night sometimes) and he worked them all out. Suddenly I could think more clearly, I had 10X the energy...I am definitely hitting up people for massage gift certificates for Christmas and my birthday, since I can't afford to pay for them very often on my own.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#5 of 17 Old 10-09-2010, 11:39 PM

I have been dealing with this. Headaches lasting longer than 24hrs, still there when the tylenol wears off, etc.

I don't know anything else to do besides upping my water, relaxing, etc. I noticed the same thing about sitting on the couch a certain way...it almost always triggers the neck pain and headache. So I'm avoiding that.

Still. It's really rough.

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#6 of 17 Old 10-09-2010, 11:43 PM

Make sure you have enough pillows under your neck at night. Make sure your neck isn't out of alignment with your spine. Pillows that are too fluffy or too thin can give me headaches.

A heating pad helps, water, massages and trips to the chiro if need be!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#7 of 17 Old 10-10-2010, 08:15 AM

I have been constantly getting headaches this pregnancy, which is strange because I never got even one with my first 3 pregnancies.

3 things I found helped: taking naps - the pain is definitely less upon waking.
Taking baths with epsom salts...I am wondering if the magnesium is helping? I pour a .5lb bag of epsom salts in the bath and rub them all over my skin, and then sit for 15-20minutes. I swear the head-ache is less for 24 hours.

the 3rd thing is just making sure I get enough water/fluid - which is pretty obvious.

I hope you feel better soon!

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11
#8 of 17 Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 AM

oh, and I would like to know what causes them, as well.

I am getting more and more irritated at the lack of actual biochemical knowlege about why hormones affect us the way they do in pregnancy. I can find a ton of information stating ' headaches are common and related to the hormones in pregnancy.' but nothing about: the hormone acts on the cells which travel to the brain and trigger a pain response...or something specific like that, you know??

(it's the whole sexist thing, I am sure, lol)

#9 of 17 Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 AM

I know caffeine intake during pregnancy is controversial, and I've seen some big arguments about it on these boards, but I just have to say that my sister-in-law (a nurse) suggested drinking some caffeinated soda (non-diet) to my friend when she (the friend) was having bad headaches during her first pregnancy -- and it helped.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#10 of 17 Old 10-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
For me it really help when I get into to see my chiropractor regularly. The only times I get migraines are when I'm pregnant, and haven't been in th see my chiropractor in awhile.

Melissa Wife to DH, Mom to DS (6) and DD (3) We are a homebirthing, no vax, intact, devoutly LDS happy family!

#11 of 17 Old 10-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Ooops, DH just noticed this morning that the MigraStick says "not for use by pregnant women." It's just lavender and peppermint oil, though, so not sure what the big deal is. At any rate, after I posted last night, I used it again and it actually did make my headache go away. My headaches are pretty mild, though (but persistent).

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#12 of 17 Old 10-10-2010, 04:34 PM

I normally get migraines and Tylenol doesn't do anything for them so I haven't even bothered taking it. Ibuprophen often helps but I can't take it during pregnancy. I find a cup of regular coffee works though (and I'm ok with drinking some caffeine) or even a black tea for mild headaches. Another thing is an ice pack on your forehead or back of neck when you feel it starting. The ice pack and caffeine both work similarly - they help to constrict the blood vessels to lessen pain.
#13 of 17 Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well...at least I am not alone! I'm sorry you all are suffering too.

I did use a new pillow the last couple of nights--my favorite one is old and getting pretty flat. I think it helped! I do think my headaches are related to my neck somehow, and sometimes homeopathic bryonia helps a bit.
#14 of 17 Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Had a killer one this afternoon--not super intense but just wouldn't go away. MigraStick plus ice pack (per Ola's suggestion) plus 500 mg of Tylenol, and it was still there after three hours--has finally faded after I ate dinner, so maybe it had something to do with that?

#15 of 17 Old 10-13-2010, 12:24 AM

At least I'm not the only one who has the awful headaches...

Some of my early headaches were from cutting down my caffeine consumption to nothing and doing so quickly. When I went on a gradual decline instead of cold turkey, I didn't feel like my head was going to e'splode. I also will drink a little soda or tea if I start to feel headachy, and sometimes, that does the trick

After figuring out that some of them were tension headaches from my neck and shoulders and a crappy pillow. I was gifted a memory foam pillow, and those headaches have gone away. Yay!

I also am sensitive to weather changes - especially barometric pressure changes and those trigger some horrible sinus headaches, which tend to morph into migraines. For those, I use the microwavable "Bed Buddies" that give off moist heat. For really awful ones, I'll put either Vick's or Tiger Balm on my temples, above my eyebrows, and on my cheekbones and either stick my head under the covers or take a hot shower. Metholated goodness usually opens up my sinuses and I'm good to go.

Another thing that I do when it's not any of those types of headaches and it just seems to be a straight migraine is that I eat 2 to 3 bananas. Migraines can also be triggered by low potassium levels so eating something that is high potassium may also help. I know that bananas are my last line of defense before getting the nuclear option of tylenol and the stronger stuff the OB prescribed that I have thankfully not had to use.

Best of luck, mama.

fencing.gif Carolina Kel 
Pagan * Grad Student * Amateur Ninja * Bibliophile * Photographer * Cyberpunk* Cooking Diva * Wife to RJ & Partner to Abeja * Mamí Valkyrie to Eiríkr (2/26/2009), Skaði (3/18/2011) and a surprise munchkin due 8-23-2012 * I love my tribe of hearts! *

#16 of 17 Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 AM

I've had a few complex migraines (migraine with aura which is funky colored lines in your vision, numbness and aphasia, nausea, pain) which are not fun. With the first one half of my body just went numb and my dr said to go to the er. Not a fun day. My midwives have said that in the first and second trimester you can take ibuprofen on occasion. I could take a bottle of tylenol and it wouldn't help the way one ibuprofen does. I also have a script for codeine and something else that I haven't filled yet because I haven't had another one lately.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#17 of 17 Old 10-13-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kel View Post
Another thing that I do when it's not any of those types of headaches and it just seems to be a straight migraine is that I eat 2 to 3 bananas. Migraines can also be triggered by low potassium levels so eating something that is high potassium may also help.
That's totally interesting, I hadn't heard that. Since my headache and nausea have gone hand in hand, I often eat a banana, and notice relief of my headache after....thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page