Are you having a baby shower? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was pregnant with DS, my coworkers through me a shower. He's almost 6 now and I've been through a divorce since then, so I don't have anything except for a few special pieces of clothing that I wanted to save. I was thinking about having a Mother/Child Blessing instead of a shower, but honestly I don't think anyone would show. I don't know of anyone who would throw me a shower, so I guess I'm not having one with this kiddo.

Are you having a shower or other type of celebration for this baby? What number is this for you?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My work will probably throw me a baby shower. This is my 5th baby and I only had someone throw me a shower for my fourth (and that was a girl from school, none of my family came). First, second, and third baby no shower, no blessing, no anything. I don't have much of a support network. You could combine a blessing and a shower. I don't really mind not having a shower though as most people come over after the baby is born to visit with him/her, it's all good as long as they bring food and do a load of laundry before they leave, much better than a ton of baby gear I won't use anyway! LOL!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#3 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 11:41 AM

I have no idea if anyone is planning a shower. I know my work isn't as we don't do showers here, just a card and sometimes a gift card to Babies'R'Us. It's the first baby on both sides of the family but my in-laws live far away and my family isn't really up on the North American event specs. Either way I know folks are planning to get us some stuff and I know they will celebrate the baby's arrival when it gets here so I'm good with that. I don't like to be put on the spot anyway.
#4 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 PM

For the birth of DS, we lived in Washington and most of my family lived in Wisconsin. So when we went back for Christmas/Yule, my family had a shower for me. My work place also had a shower for me because they were the closest thing I had to family.

For Ninja (our nickname for the baby-to-be), having a shower depends on whether or not we're having another boy or a girl, and where we're at with our duty station.

If we have a girl, I'd like to have a shower because it would be nice to have some new "girl" stuff for Ninja. If it's a boy, we've got a lot of our boy stuff still left, so I'd be more inclined to have a "sprinkle" instead of a full-blown shower so that Ninja can have some of his own things instead of only hand-me-downs from DS.

Because we're military, we have a weight limit on how much stuff the government will pay for if they move us, so we try to keep the amount of stuff we have down to a minimum. A lot of my baby stuff was sold or passed along to my sister-in-law because we didn't think we were going to have another kid (Ha ha... Silly us).

fencing.gif Carolina Kel 
Pagan * Grad Student * Amateur Ninja * Bibliophile * Photographer * Cyberpunk* Cooking Diva * Wife to RJ & Partner to Abeja * Mamí Valkyrie to Eiríkr (2/26/2009), Skaði (3/18/2011) and a surprise munchkin due 8-23-2012 * I love my tribe of hearts! *

#5 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 PM

We are probably not having a baby shower with this one. Where I live, most women only have baby showers with their first, but that could be because people around here typically have a higher number than average of kids, and they tend to have them pretty closely. Ours DS is 2.5, so we still have all his baby stuff, and it's all in pretty good condition. (His clothes didn't get too worn out until about the 18 month sizes.)

I am thinking about having a "Meet the Baby" celebration after tthe baby is born, but we'll see if I actually feel up to doing that during the newborn phase.

Melissa Wife to DHpartners.gif, Mom to DSbouncy.gif (3 y.o.) and DD wave.gif (infant) We are a homebirthing, no circ, select and delay vax, cosleeping, full-term breastfeeding happy family!

#6 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 01:56 PM

More than likely no. This is the third, and my family threw me a shower for the first and second. Second was with my second(and final) dh and it was his first child. I don't ink I need anything anyways...my SIL had one for me and all we got was clothing that I never really used and bath stuff for the baby. I'd rather they come over AFTER the baby and bring food and do my chores like a PP suggested! Lol GREAT idea!
#7 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 PM

My mom or MIL will probably throw me one, especially if we have a girl, since we had a boy the first time around. If it's a boy, we wouldn't really need to have one, except maybe for a few more cloth diapers. I have clothes, toys and everything else coming out the wazoo!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#8 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 02:14 PM

I had a shower with my first at the church after he was born.

I was in Romania with my second and I don't think that is something they do?
I was given some gifts though. People would come visit to see my baby and give him something.

This time around, I live far away from my friends and family so it's highly unlikely. Maybe they'll send me a gift or card or something? I don't know.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#9 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Gosh, I hope not! I had 3 when I was pregnant with DS. That was plenty of center-of-attention-ness for me for a lifetime...LOL!

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#10 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
When I was pregnant with DS, my coworkers through me a shower. He's almost 6 now and I've been through a divorce since then, so I don't have anything except for a few special pieces of clothing that I wanted to save. I was thinking about having a Mother/Child Blessing instead of a shower, but honestly I don't think anyone would show. I don't know of anyone who would throw me a shower, so I guess I'm not having one with this kiddo.

Are you having a shower or other type of celebration for this baby? What number is this for you?

i think since your kids are so far apart someone may want to throw you a shower. I know with my sisters dd my family went way overboard, i couldn't believe how much they spent on her. My family is big on baby showers, my one aunt had 5 kids and got a shower each and everytime, but I don't really care to get tons of gifts, I would appreciate the things i really need like bibs and wash clothes, and a high chair. Now if I have another ds or even a dd, i am definitely doing a registry this time. My sister did it last time and so many people bought off of it, i really don't want to be stuck with a whole bunch of stuff i don't need. My ds will be going on 5, but i have kept quite a bit of his stuff and only recently began getting rid of some well worn bigger handmedowns. But regardless, i really don't want 100 outfits again, being it a girl or boy, but i know that's what i will get a lot of. My cousin is due 3 weeks after me, so we may end up having a shower together, but it depends b/c she just moved 8 hours away, so i am not sure about that, but yeah we'll be having a shower i'm pretty sure.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#11 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 06:06 PM

This is my first and we still have not told friends and family. I actually hope to not have one. I never talk to extended family and even close family we rarely talk to. I work with all men. There are just very few females who I would consider inviting. Plus with the way many of my family didn't respond or backed out without following up with the host of my bridal shower (It was in January and on a rare chance we were hit with snow), I just would not want to put another host through that. Also, my mother and step-mother are still awkward with each other.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#12 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 PM

I don't know! No one at work is likely to throw me one (based on other coworkers who've gotten pregnant), and I'm not extra-close to anyone at my church. My best friend is also pregnant, so I doubt it will cross her mind to throw me a shower (I helped throw her one in her first pregnancy), and my other friends probably aren't close enough. If someone offers, I'll let it happen. But I'm not expecting it.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#13 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 09:20 PM

I think so, only because my mom has already asked if she can throw me one in my home state, and another friend made a passing reference to wanting to host one where I currently live. I'm excited! I've attended a few and I guess it's part of the whole pregnancy experience that I look forward to, since this is my first. I love the idea of a blessing way, too, though not sure I would want one for myself. Although it would be neat to incorporate some aspects of that into a more traditional shower, which I know my mom will want to do, since she spearheaded blessing ways for friends when I was a kid.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#14 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 10:09 PM

My friends keep asking and I told them I don't want a moutain of green and yellow stuff and prefer to wait til after the baby. (since we are planning on a surprise) I tend to be the shower giver in my circle of friends- but I'm sure they will do something at some point. I don't know about family, they will probably just buy us stuff- not really do a formal shower but who knows. I just started a new job and there are several pregnant people all due around the same time so I doubt I will have anything from work. This is number 3 for us but it has been 5 years since #2 and with her I only had a little get together at work But we already had everything from dd #1 since they are just 17 months apart. This time we have NOTHING so I hope to have some sort of something.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#15 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 PM

Probably not but honestly I could really use one. We didn't think we would have another so I gave away EVERYTHING! All I have is the carseat and crib. Nothing else.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#16 of 18 Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 PM

I doubt we'll have one, unless a friend here decides to surprise me. My mom doesn't believe in showers for 2nd babies, and my mil wouldn't even come to our shower for ds (it was 5 minutes from her house and her best friend threw it). Ds is just 2, and unless it's a girl, I won't need anything. If it is a girl, we'll just need a few clothes. And really, so much of ds's newborn clothes were gender unspecific, I'm not especially worried.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#17 of 18 Old 10-14-2010, 03:56 PM

This is my first baby and I am trying really hard to let my group of friends/family know I only want 2 showers. (There's 4 groups that want to throw a shower, but I don't want that many). The first will be my family back home in MN--I'm making sure my friends that wanted to throw a shower come to the family one. The second one will hopefully be after the baby is born here in CO from friends & co-workers so I can get pink OR blue stuff. We're not finding out the sex, so I anticipate generic stuff at the family shower.

It reminds me of when I got married. I think I had 4 showers. That's WAY too much.

The only thing I really want from any shower is the necessities, and hopefully someone will splurge and buy me all the gDiapers I need!!

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#18 of 18 Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 PM

This is my second but our first since being members of our church where my husband is the pastor. The tradition at the church is to give all mamas a shower who are having their first baby since being at the church. I might actually request to have the shower after the baby is born since we don't learn the gender and I don't need/want a bunch of green or yellow outfits.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page