Do I really need to do this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-14-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I love the practice I'm going to, and they are all really great. I had my NT test on Tuesday, and things looked really good, other than a tiny tear in the placenta. It looks like it's healing, and I haven't had any bleeding for over a month.

On Wednesday, I had my 12 week appointment, and the midwife couldn't find that baby's heartbeat on the doppler. About 5 minutes in, I told her where I've been finding it and she scanned there quickly, said she thought that was too high and started trying down by the hair line. After about 8 minutes, she said congrats, you've earned yourself another ultrasound. She wanted me to schedule it for the same day, which I didn't.

I can see why they suggest an ultrasound if they don't pick up heart tone by 12 weeks, though. It does make sense to verify that everything is ok.

I'm questioning whether I need it at all. I'm all for u/s, and I like seeing the baby, but since I've already had three (due to bleeding), do I really need to go again? FWIW, I was able to find baby's hb right away when I got home, reading 154.

I'm actually a little bruised from the NT exam, and I'd like to leave the baby alone a bit I think.

WWYD?

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#2 of 7 Old 10-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Deny the ultrasound and say you found the HB when you got home. She must have looked in the wrong place. You are in charge. Never forget that. If you feel everything is fine with baby then there you go.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 7 Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM

#4 of 7 Old 10-14-2010, 02:17 PM

If the only reason she recommended another u/s was because she couldn't locate the heartbeat, and you subsequently located a strong heartbeat, then I don't really see the point of another u/s?
#5 of 7 Old 10-14-2010, 02:21 PM

DDCc

you don't HAVE to do anything.. you founf a heartbeat that clearly isn't yours.

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#6 of 7 Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 AM

I wouldn't do another u/s for that. Not if you found the heartbeat yourself.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#7 of 7 Old 10-15-2010, 03:23 PM

I didn't read the other comments so maybe you already decided, but there is no need for an u/s at this point. Especially since you have found the heartbeat. But at 12 weeks, you could easily wait till your next appt to try again with the m/w.

And lastly, because we pay out of pocket for u/s, there is no way I'd get an extra one if there wasn't a need!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page