How are you documenting your pregnancy, for either your baby or yourself? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-18-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of the most special things my mom did for me was keep a baby book/diary through her pregnancy and my first year or so. It's just a scrapbook that she filled with info, photos, letters to me, mementos from travels she and my dad took while pregnant, a poem my dad wrote, etc...it's really sweet. Of course, I am the oldest and my sisters didn't get anything that is nearly so detailed!

This is my first, and I want to document it so my baby has something to tell him/her about the earliest part of his/her life. But I am SO disorganized, and at 13 weeks, haven't even started! I like the idea of keeping a freeform sketchbook like my mom did, that I can just paste stuff into, write in, etc. I also had a plan to spend five minutes every day writing in my journal and reflecting about my pregnancy, but it seems I have devoted all my writing energy to MDC! I feel kind of inadequate right now, and am worried about this time passing without taking steps to ensure I remember it well.

I'm just curious--if you are documenting or plan to document your pregnancy in a similar way for your baby, what are you doing?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 12:27 PM

I like this idea! I haven't been doing anything yet and all of those "fill in the blank" baby books feel too structured when I look at them. Plus I feel like I already missed the early months because I didn't start right at the beginning, you know? An unstructured notebook sounds much more appealing.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 PM

I made a scrapbook with my daughter, and I think I'm going to do the same this time. I thought about a baby book, but I'm not sure I'd be good about filling it out.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:34 PM

Nothing so far, although I have given it thought. I kept a blog with my first, but that's not something that's easily kept and passed on when they're older. I do have a backup of it somewhere on my computer... still, not so useable.

I have done scrapbooks of each child's first year (even though I'm sadly behind on DS2's) and I will be doing that for this one too. In it, I do a page or two on the pregnancy and birth, so there's some small record of it.

I have been thinking about getting baby books for each one, as a place to have a concise record of the dates of milestones and so on. Right now that info is scattered and it's hard to remember the details. I've had several occasions where I need to know the dates when DS1 started walking, crawling, talking, etc and it sucked trying to gather it all together.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM

With both my DD I sent out a "Picture of the Week" to family and freinds. I would send the email out every Monday morning with a little blurb about their development that week. I didn't really document my pregnancy but the picture of the week helped me make their scrapbook. They each have an individual First Year Scrapbook. I thought about starting a blog, but thought the same as you Bleumoose.

Ivette; DH Nick since 1997, DD Ari 12/06, DD Jojo 07/08, 05/10, #4 EDD 4/29/11.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 AM

I got this last time
http://www.essentialorganizers.com/
it's JUST the pregnancy, instead of the baby book so it was kinda fun.
Mlisa
Old 10-19-2010, 05:32 PM

I've been trying to keep a blog where I integrated a variation of project 365 (instead of a photo a day, I'm a project 52 where I will post one photo per week). I'm doing so/so on this as September was a whirlwind where I barely had a moment to update. I'm a couple of weeks behind right now.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoose View Post
Nothing so far, although I have given it thought. I kept a blog with my first, but that's not something that's easily kept and passed on when they're older. I do have a backup of it somewhere on my computer... still, not so useable.

A friend of mine did this as well and then used inkubook to turn the blog into a photo book. It turned out really cute. I don't blog but I did use it to make a pregnancy first year book for DS. We never get around to actually printing pictures so we may just do one for each year or something.

This pregnancy I haven't managed to take a single belly picture or anything. I feel terrible about it, I swore I'd take on every week this time!

Tiffany partner to Charlie and Mama to DS Ciaran (1/08) and DS Finnian (4/11)
Adding a third in July!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...inkubook? I'll have to check that out. I have to admit I really like the tangibility of an old-fashioned book--I like writing on paper and pasting stuff in like ticket stubs from our trip to Europe when I was at 6 weeks, etc. But I'm SO bad about printing out photos. I've had a digital camera for over five years and have never gotten photos printed. They're all just on my computer. I haven't really taken any belly shots yet--I mean I have, but they don't show anything.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 AM

I'm emailing myself whenever something occurs.

I figure later if I have the inclination I can turn it into a digital scrapbook.

User Tag List