s/o: who else has lost or not gained weight yet? - Mothering Forums
April 2011 > s/o: who else has lost or not gained weight yet?
babygrey's Avatar babygrey 06:56 PM 10-18-2010
I'm 14w3d. I started pg around 140. I gained a few pounds at first, up to 143. Then I got HG and my lowest weight, three weeks ago, was 130. Now that I'm super-medicated (blah), I can eat a bit, so I'm starting to gain a bit again, I'm up to 134.

With my other pgs, I always had normal weight gain, 10ish pounds in the first tri and always a gradual slope up, so this is all new to me.

I'm super-stressed about it, I read a book on multiples when right after I got my BFP that was all about how weight gain (esp first tri gain) was highly correlated with birth outcomes. I'm scared, but, eh, what can I do? I mean, I eat as much as possible given the circumstances, yk? Since I'm starting to gain again and since I can stay pretty well hydrated, I don't think I need to be more aggressive at treatment, but I'll certainly bring it up at my next appointment.

Who's with me? Who has had other pgs w/ first tri weight loss and been totally fine? I know, theoretically, my babies are getting what they need by taking it from my stores, I guess it is just the twins that scare me.

Ironically, my belly is HUGE. The rest of me is skin and bones. I miss my hair being shiney and my skin looking well.

Lauren82's Avatar Lauren82 07:53 PM 10-18-2010
I know many, many people that didn't gain a pound until well into the 2nd trimester and everything was fine. I've only gained a couple pounds and my midwife said to be glad I gained as she sees a lot of people who lose and that is pretty common.
Now that you are feeling better, you can focus on eating the most nutritious foods possible for you and your babies.
kaPOW!'s Avatar kaPOW! 08:10 PM 10-18-2010
i'm 17 weeks and i haven't gained a single pound. i think some of that is because i stopped working out, and thus replaced some of my heavy muscle with lighter fat. however, i hadn't gained much at this point in pregnancy in my last pregnancy. maybe 5lbs at the most.

i'm sorry you're worried
TinyFrog's Avatar TinyFrog 09:53 PM 10-18-2010
I lost 5 pounds right around the 5 week point. It really surprised me as I had never heard of losing weight in pregnancy that wasn't associated with being sick. I was concerned too, but because I was in no way needing to lose weight and was trying hard to maintain. I've gained it back now so I'm back to where I started pre pregnancy, which is still 5 pounds down from where I was in June but that's another story. The 10 pounds I lost was probably a combo of muscle and fat but the five I've gained is definitely all fat.
nadia105's Avatar nadia105 07:26 PM 10-20-2010
I'm down a couple pounds at 14w2d. My mw said she would really like to see some gain by my next appt in 4-5 weeks.

With my previous pgs, I was up a few pounds by now and up 10 or so by 20 weeks, but this pg is completely different from the others in every way so far, so we'll see.

I started off heavier this time, so I'm not overly worried about not gaining the standard 25 as long as the babe is growing well.

Any way you can switch to higher fat/calorie versions of things you already eat? Smoothies with whole milk, avocadoes, whole milk yogurt and other dairy, that kind of thing?
kalamos23's Avatar kalamos23 07:47 PM 10-20-2010
i don't think i have gained much if any this time around - i've hovered within the same 2 lbs since 6 weeks when they first weighed me, and i know i haven't been eating much lately because my appetite is just gone, and food aversions are back. by this point with dd's pregnancy, i was up 7 lbs, and gained 27 total. i was about 10 lbs heavier than when i started with her though, so i dunno. i'm hoping the ravenous second trimester starts soon, because i know i don't eat much in the third tri with baby pressing my stomach up and the horrible acid reflux i had with dd.
Blanca78's Avatar Blanca78 08:37 PM 10-20-2010
At 13w1d, I'm holding steady in the mid-upper 150s. It fluctuates, but (unfortunately) I gained about 10 lbs BEFORE I was pregnant, so while I am bigger than I am used to, I don't think I can blame the pregnancy just yet!

ETA: My doctor thinks I've gained around 5 lbs, because the nurse didn't weigh me my first appointment, just used an old weight.
gagin37's Avatar gagin37 11:45 PM 10-20-2010
i don't actually know yet, if I've gained since my last appointment, I don't weigh at home. With my last pregnancy, I lost weight a pound or two here and there throughout, and never gained. I think after I delivered, I was about 25-30lbs lighter. I started out very overweight though, and am again this time. The doctors were fine with it. I was never restrictive with my diet, I never tried to loss weight. Really I felt like I ate all.the.time. My son was a very healthy 8lb6oz baby.
jenniferadurham's Avatar jenniferadurham 12:57 AM 10-21-2010
I've only gained about 4-5 lbs. I was around 160, and have only gained 4 lbs. Even in the last week and a half I haven't gained anything. But I'm sure I will make up for it in the next few months! Lol
caitryn's Avatar caitryn 09:51 AM 10-29-2010
I started off at 189 lbs and have stayed pretty steady. I always try to weigh under the same conditions, too. In my case, this is after going to the bathroom and before eating breakfast. It's easy to keep this, too, since all of my appointments are scheduled for early in the morning. As of two days ago, I was 16 weeks 5 days along and had lost 2 lbs. BTW, I haven't had any morning sickness with this pregnancy, so I can't blame it on that. Personally, I think it's because the PCOS treatments I was going through before getting pregnant are still in my system, and my body is trying to get down to what should be a normal weight while still maintaining the pregnancy. That's just a theory, though.

With my first pregnancy, I dropped 5 or 10 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight due to morning sickness. I didn't start gaining until about half way through the 2nd trimester. On the day Little Man was born, I was only 10 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight. Within a few hours after delivery, I was weight and was 15 lbs less than the pre-pregnancy weight.

I've been told by several people (doctors and others) that this is normal. In fact, weight loss during pregnancy is genetic for me. Pretty much as long as you and the babies are healthy, and the babies are progressing properly, you are doing fine.
dayiscoming2006's Avatar dayiscoming2006 12:23 PM 10-29-2010
I'm 12 weeks and 3 days. I started my pregnancy at 169 and got to a low of 163 about a month ago. I'm around 164.5-165 at the moment. I suspect possible multiples but can't afford an ultrasound, so I'll just wait and see what happens. I am perfectly comfortable UCing a singleton or twins.

I'm glad you are able to eat something now. That's very good.
It's been quite the challenge for me this time around. With my last 2 pregnancies I ate anything I wanted with just a bit of nausea but there was a ton of nausea this time around. Could barely decide to eat anything. And I had to force myself to eat or I knew I'd end up feeling worse. Not as bad off as you were but still it stinks.
Up