what is nuchal translucency test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't believe I did this with my first DS since I didn't have an ultrasound until 20 weeks. I did just have an ultrasound with current baby at 12 weeks because we couldn't find the heartbeat. Just wondering if I could have had this NT testing done without my knowledge? The sonographer had that sonogram probe up there for quite awhile taking lots of pictures. Just curious what it is.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#2 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It examines an area at the back of the baby's neck called the nuchal translucency. If it is more than 3mm, it is a marker for Down Syndrome. Less than 3mm is considered within the range of normal. It is part of the 11 week triple screen, where they test for DS and two Trisomy genetic disorders. The triple screen is more accurate than the 15 week quad screen that tests for the same disorders. I doubt you would have had this done without your knowledge. It would be a complete violation of patient privacy. I had to have an hour long genetic consultation before they would give me the results of my triple screen. I didn't have it with my last, and didn't feel like it was absolutely necessary to have it with this one though I ended getting it so I could see the baby at 11 weeks.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#3 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM

my understanding is that not all sonographers are qualified to do this. It is a pretty specific test and requires specific training. I could be wrong but I believe I read that somewhere. I didn't have to have any specific counseling or anything about it but I knew what they were doing and had requested it. They also have to do blood work at the same time as part of the screen.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#4 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 01:53 PM

I doubt they would have done it without your knowledge. It's a specific set of tests that you have to consent to. Sometimes insurance companies won't pay for it unless there's a "real" reason for having it (like being over 35).

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#5 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 03:05 PM

I know that the one we were offered was more than just the ultrasound. They would take a family history and find out your age, any relatives with those disorders in your and DH's family, etc. Based on that and the measurement of the nuchal fold from the ultrasound they would then calculate whether your risk is higher or lower than others in your age group.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page