Announcing baby's sex ideas.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-19-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd kind of like to bring in a "gender cake" to work to announce the gender after we find out next week. I doubt a store would make it at a moment's notice though so I'm thinking about making a blue AND pink cake and I'll just bring in the one that is right. Then you cut into it to find out the gender. Or I could do cupcakes......

I told DH that we could have my parents over for dinner that night and have a cake for them too. I could call Ingles and maybe order a small cake that morning so I don't have to make four cakes! I'll have to see what kind of time notice they like to have. It would be during the week so you wouldn't think they'd be that busy.

What do you think? Any ideas or suggestions? What are you going to do?
#2 of 21 Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 PM

We aren't finding out BUT I wish I had thought about (or known about) doing a cake before. I think it would have been awesome to find out boy or girl with our whole family via cutting into a cake. I like that idea so much that I contemplated finding out just so we could do that- but I decided a long time ago that #3 would be a surprise until delivery and I'm sticking to it!! (even though its really, really hard!)

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#3 of 21 Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 PM

due date club crashing

My sister owns a cake shop and does reveal cakes all the time, but it does require some planning. The latest you could call for a Saturday cake would be Tuesday.

What we did when we did this was plan a get together to replace a shower. Since my 2 youngest are only 22 months apart, I didn't need anything so no gifts or anything, but I still wanted a party. So we had a reveal party instead of a shower, for the weekend after my appointment
#4 of 21 Old 10-19-2010, 08:30 PM

I love the cake idea. I'm also thinking about ideas to share the news. I'm not any help but just thought the idea was cool.

SAHM to my DS born 12/5/07, DD born 3/21/11

#5 of 21 Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We aren't finding out, but I have heard a couple of cute ideas from other boards I'm on.

One woman had a Pink or Blue party and did a bunch of gender-related games and had decorations in blue and pink, then did the cake reveal later in the party.

A woman who is a photographer went to a party store, handed them the envelope with the results, and had them put helium balloons of the appropriate color inside a box and then went to a park and had pictures taken of them opening the box and holding the balloons and whatnot.

Another friend (due in late March) is going to have the gender results put in an envelope, then put it in a box and wrap it and keep it hidden until Christmas morning, when they will open the present and find out what they're having.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#6 of 21 Old 10-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
Another friend (due in late March) is going to have the gender results put in an envelope, then put it in a box and wrap it and keep it hidden until Christmas morning, when they will open the present and find out what they're having.
Now THAT is a really cute idea. I wish I had infinite amounts of patience to wait that long!!!

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#7 of 21 Old 10-20-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post

That is super cute but I agree,,,I couldn't wait!

I'll be ready on the SAME day to tell so that causes a problem with ordering the cake. I might just have to bite the bullet and make two cakes the night before we go. Then if the baby doesn't cooperate we'll just have cake to eat.
#8 of 21 Old 10-20-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Starcat,,,,that is a good idea about not finding out for #3. Maybe if we have a girl this time and end up with a 3rd child we'll do that too. I always said I wanted to not find out but then couldn't handle it when the time came,,,ha.

Thanks everyone for posting!
#9 of 21 Old 10-20-2010, 12:46 PM

I just have to say that I'm getting teary reading some of these ideas. LOL. Crazy preggo hormones. We'll probably just text or call everyone right away. I may post "Sugar and spice and everything nice..." or "Snips and snails and puppy dog tails..." to my FB. Assuming everyone will get it

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#10 of 21 Old 10-20-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn237 View Post
I just have to say that I'm getting teary reading some of these ideas. LOL. Crazy preggo hormones. We'll probably just text or call everyone right away. I may post "Sugar and spice and everything nice..." or "Snips and snails and puppy dog tails..." to my FB. Assuming everyone will get it
I love that idea! I'm stealing it!
#11 of 21 Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 PM

Found out by accident Oct 1 (My b-day) --- I was going to BEG the tech to peek so my morning FB post before the appt was "Please Lord let me see a penis today" which got a lot of "funny" comments from my friends LOL So when we got home I just posted "vagina" and all my friends got it.

What's really funny is that I texted my BFF from the waiting room, afterwards, saying "It's a girl, I think Steven is spiraling into a depression" but instead of sending the text to her, I sent it to my boyfriend, Steven. It actually made him laugh and cheered him up a bit. *shrug* Men.

Mama to DS T (10/11/2004) and DD M (09/03/09) and cookin' up baby #3 due late March/early April 2010!
#12 of 21 Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 PM

Not exactly about revealing to the outside world, but someone suggested to me that if we want finding out to be more special than just quickly in a doctor's office, to have the tech write it in a nice card we've prepared for ourselves, and then choose a special time to open it--Christmas morning, maybe? Or whatever holiday you celebrate. (We'll be a 20 weeks a couple weeks before Christmas.)

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#13 of 21 Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 AM

I LOVE the cake idea!

For a quicker turnaround, here's a thought:

Bake a white/yellow cake. (You could add pink and blue sprinkles for fun).

Keep the layers in the fridge or freezer. After you find out, turn some icing pink or blue for the middle layer.

It wouldn't be quite as dramatic, but it's one idea.

You could also do cookies with white royal icing and then pipe pink or blue symbols/whatever the night before.
#14 of 21 Old 10-21-2010, 11:07 AM

DDC crashing...

To announce the news to our friends, at a get-together, we brought cupcakes. I used a white-cake recipe, but reserved maybe 1/3 C of batter & dyed it blue. When filling the cupcake tins, we put a dollop of blue batter in the middle of each. The cupcakes baked up with a blue dot on the top, or blue right under the surface. Once they were iced, you couldn't see the color until they bit into the cupcakes- surprise! It was a fun dessert
foreignerforlife likes this.

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#15 of 21 Old 10-24-2010, 01:01 AM

One of my friends owns a baby boutique. A couple came in with an envelope from the ultrasound tech that revealed the gender of their baby. They picked out two outfits, then went to their car. The boutique owner opened the envelope which revealed BOY! She wrapped up the outfit and brought it out to the car for them. They opened it later...I think during the baby shower.
#16 of 21 Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 AM

These are such great ideas!!!
#17 of 21 Old 10-25-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole_marie View Post
One of my friends owns a baby boutique. A couple came in with an envelope from the ultrasound tech that revealed the gender of their baby. They picked out two outfits, then went to their car. The boutique owner opened the envelope which revealed BOY! She wrapped up the outfit and brought it out to the car for them. They opened it later...I think during the baby shower.
I love this idea to tell other people! Thanks!
#18 of 21 Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn237 View Post
It's a GIRL!!!!!!!!!

I posted "Sugar and spice and everything nice....." last night. :-) Thanks for the idea!

I wanted to add "that's what our little girl will be made of" but my husband liked it without it better.
#19 of 21 Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 AM

Congrats!!!

Hooray for little girls!!

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#20 of 21 Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Becca!!
#21 of 21 Old 10-29-2010, 11:02 PM

If we are having a girl I will be racing straight to the yarn shop for pink pink pink. And that will probably be my FB status. If it's a boy, who knows. I might "spiral into depression". j/k! I do like the "snips and snails" or "sugar and spice" idea!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page