Any other doulas here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I work as a birth and post partum doula - are there any other doulas here in this DDC?

Do you plan to continue working as a doula after this birth? I plan to take a break from birth work after my own birth, because I don't want to leaving a baby for any longer amount of time. But after a few years I think I'll be ready again. My middle daughter is 2,5 years old now, and she is starting to sleep more at night and nurse a bit less, so she's just started to be ok with me attending births again. And here we go back to scratch with a newborn again... - but we are very much looking forward to it so the work bit is just a minor detail.

Do you want a doula at your own birth?

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
#2 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Me I am a birth doula, but haven't worked in a couple of years. It got to be too difficult after DS2 was born, as I didn't have reliable childcare and both kids had trouble being left with others. I would love to get back to it someday, but for now am happy not attending births.

I will be having a doula at my birth, I think. It'll be a doula friend of mine.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#3 of 8 Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 AM

I'm a birth doula. Just got back from my first birth in ten months at about 1am I have one more client this month, and a friend due next month who wants me there. After that I'll be on hiatus until after baby is born. Usually I'll take multips (shorter births) and homebirths (if I can bring baby and an older sibling) on when baby is about 8-10 weeks. I have to supplement from birth anyways b/c of my previous breast reduction, so baby is used to a bottle. I plan to focus more on teaching childbirth ed and my midwifery studies than on doula work, though.
#4 of 8 Old 10-21-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfyCozy View Post
Just got back from my first birth in ten months at about 1am

I am waiting for a client who has a guess date a couple of weeks from now.
She's a multip - so I am hoping we'll be ready in time for one of my many naps.
(I have stocked up on energy bars to keep me going).

I hope tp be able to to more teaching, too - tends to happen at more convenient times of the day...

#5 of 8 Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 PM

I had not attended a birth in 2 years because i have a 19 month old but I got to attend one about 10 days ago. I have only attended births while preggo(3 births now) so it will be nice to not be pregnant at one. I was lucky and got the call at 7:30am on a weekend so my husband was home with the kids and I was home by lunch I have one more birth that I committed to before I knew I would be pregnant and she is due in about 10 days. It will be my first birth center birth and now that my morning sickness has passed, I feel more confident. After this one, I may attend a friend in Feb. big belly and all but them I will break again till I have a less nursing dependant child.

SAHM to my beautiful girl(9/06) and boy(3/09).
#6 of 8 Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

After almost four weeks on call, the birthing mama called me last night - and we had 24 beautiful birthing hours together. We did "the whole book" - walking, swaying, massaging, drinking tea, laughing, stroking, going outside for fresh air, smelling lavender, lighting candles, moaning, sleeping in between contractions and lots of more massaging (ouch, my arms are sore today! ;) ) - before she setlled in warm water and had her beautiful baby girl. 

I loved the fact that they let us alone in the hospital for almost 12 hours without any interventions except for listening to the baby and giving her acupuncture - we got the time we begged for, and that was all that was needed.

When I got home, I ate lots of eggs and bacon before going to bed, and still I woke up in the middle of the night completely starving! It sure is different working when preggo! And I hope I will remember this birth as motivation to get me going again after my own birth!

#7 of 8 Old 11-14-2010, 05:45 AM

Oooh :) Congratulations!!! That sounds like a beautiful birth! Great job!

#8 of 8 Old 11-14-2010, 06:04 AM

Wow, I didn't realize that so many of the Aprils are doulas!  Cool!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page