Food Guilt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have food guilt! I try to eat healthy but I keep slipping. DP brought donuts home yesterday and (gasp) I ate one. Tonight I had delivery pizza for dinner (I was too tired to cook after work). With all my other pregnancies I had more self control. I wouldn't have even allowed donuts in the house. I am eating healthy food most of the time but I feel so guilty when I indulge.

So who else has food guilt???

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#2 of 32 Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sets down cheesecake to reply to this post.

I don't think I have too much food guilt, although I do have some anger when my mat jeans 'shrink' somehow....

You are pg with #5 and you feel guilty about a donut??! I think you are awesome! I try to up my fruits while pg; although it's pretty easy.... i just follow my bodies cues. But when my body says 'hey lets have that hot fudge sundae' I listen to that too!

It's just such a crazy feeling in that first tri and then heading to the second... I describe my first tri as always 'feeling just a little hung over, or like a mild case of food poisoning... you keep roaming around looking for *the right thing* to make that funny feeling go away.'

So while I was craving that sundae I ate a crazy Dairy Queen shrimp and fries basket too.... then added onion rings. Yeah, I'm pregnant!! lol, I NEVER eat that stuff normally.

I say enjoy!!!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#3 of 32 Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 PM

I haven't been eating unhealthy foods, so my guilt level is pretty low and I don't feel as if I've gained too much weight and i'm at the very end so i feel okay.

but i do feel like i'm eating more than what is necessary and that i'll regret that later if i have a hard time going back to pre-pregnancy eating habits that suited me much better.

if you're feeling guilty now while pregnant, you're gonna really feel guilty after pregnancy if you put on too much weight. what is too much? that's up to you of course, but if you see it happening... turn back and just say no to the sundae!!!
#4 of 32 Old 10-20-2010, 10:33 PM

wow. I won't even begin to tell you how I've been eating. I am just thankful I CAN eat at this point. I think the best thing I ate today was a bowl of raisin bran crunch. I try not to feel guilty, knowing that I eat well and normally make absolutely ALL of our food from real, raw ingredients. A few months of this will be alright and since I am already feeling better I am looking forward to making real food soon. I say let the guilt GO. Life is too short and as mamas we have too many pleasant things to dwell on to let guilt eat up our lives.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#5 of 32 Old 10-20-2010, 10:36 PM

I've been having some food guilt. My snacks aren't as healthy as they probably should be, and I tend to eat lunch out more than I should. During the first 2/3 of my last pregnancy, my dh was deployed overseas, and I didn't have anyone else to feed, it was so much easier! Food just seems like the constant battle right now, with wonky aversions that aren't going away then trying to make sure I still get the right nutrition, AND trying to satisfy my dh and ds.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#6 of 32 Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 PM

I not only feel guilty about the food i'm eating for health reasons but they don't even fit with my ethical worldview (cough...McD's double cheesburger)!

I'm eating lots of good stuff too but I just get these cravings that are frankly gross (peels back slim jim wrapper)

I'm so ashamed!!!

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#7 of 32 Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 AM

LOL ladies thanks so much for this thread! I have indulged in a few things that I normally wouldn't eat either but I figured I'm not drinking any wine right now so I can have another treat instead

I'm trying hard to at least make the indulgences not so horrible....like organic chocolate milk and nachos made with grass fed beef.....somehow that makes it OK, right??

Jessica mama to 2 boys 6/07 & 2/09
cautiously expecting to meet someone new in April...if you know me IRL please don't out me yet! It's still a secret!
#8 of 32 Old 10-21-2010, 12:46 AM

Me!!! I have so much food guilt this time around!! I was sooo much more strict with my diet with DD. I will find any excuse to indulge in crappy food; lately I have been telling myself that since we have pretty much decided that this will be our last baby that I should get to really 'enjoy' it this time around. Ugh...so lame!
I only wish that all of this guilt would transfer over into my actions. Apparently, I can't feel too guilty otherwise I would just stop doing it, right?

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#9 of 32 Old 10-21-2010, 05:06 AM

You know the terrible black liquid stuff that is full of sugar and additives and caffeine and one of the worlds largest brands? Well - I do not like the company, their advertising and normally not their products either.
I have not drunk it since ...last time I was pregnant and (sorry for TMI) spending a lot of time on the bath room over the toilet... Well, I forgot about it until being pregnant and feeling terribly sick again - and told my husband to get me a bottle - NOW!

Never thought I'd ever drink the stuff again!

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
#10 of 32 Old 10-21-2010, 10:17 AM

I don't feel an ounce of guilt! I was very indulgent while pregnant with my DD, but I also worked out 4/week until I was 37 weeks.
This time around I am going to *try* to be *a bit* less indulgent, but I also know I won't be excercising quite as much, so it will probably balance itself out.

Mom to DD1 8/09 and DD2 4/11

#11 of 32 Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 AM

I'm falling into the "this is my last pregnancy" category too and I know I'm indulging too much but salt is calling my name!! I'd go get two large waffle fries from Chickfila this very minute if I didn't have to buy food for all my kids too! I try to limit the bad foods and I'm working out hard but its' been difficult this time around!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#12 of 32 Old 10-21-2010, 07:04 PM

yes i am feeling guilty, very guilty. It took me a long time to get pregnant, during which time I was incorporating more organics, and eating healthier. Then i had some health problems, and then I finally conceived while eating a decent diet of mostly whole foods, but then m/s and food aversions set in and then all that was thrown out the window. At a point i could not eat vegetables or fruit for about a month, but finally started making myself eat them. I am still not up to what i used to eat pre-pregnancy, but I am trying. If i get 4 servings total of fruits and veggies I am doing good.

I crave pillsbury biscuits and ramen noodles and lucky charms for goodness sakes. (I luckily forgot the ramen noodles when shopping today), I mean I wouldn't even eat ramen noodles when preggo with ds, in college because of the msg. I also have occasional cravings for cola. And of course anything that is made of fried potatos, fries, chips etc.

I make healthy, whole foods for dinner and end up eating campbells soup because I don't like the smell of the food once it's done.

Tonight I am attempting to cook raw chicken, and make homemade chicken lo mein and actually eat it. I really hope it goes well especially since i forgot the ramen noodles at the store, lol!

I did have a salad for my afternoon snack, so hopefully that will negat the 5 mini chocolates I ate earlier today.

I've only gained about 5 lbs so far, and I am 14 weeks, I don't think i'm over-eating in general at least.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#13 of 32 Old 10-21-2010, 10:23 PM

chocolate peanut butter pie. i saw it in the cafeteria at work yesterday and the baby wouldn't let me walk away from it. I can't even begin to think how many calories were in it!! UGH! but it was SOOOOO good.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#14 of 32 Old 10-22-2010, 12:58 AM

wow. I wish I could indulge in my cravings. I can't have gluten and right now anything made with grain is making me throw up, so all grains are out..that pretty much gets rid of a lot of options when it comes to cravings! And with gluten intolerance you have to be careful with cross contamination as well so I can't just go get whatever I want whenever and wherever. It's a pregnant woman's nightmare! Last pregnancy I really was craving a wendy's hamburger, which I can have as long as I leave off the bun, but I couldn't eat it until I got home so I could put it on my own gluten free bread. Oh the inconvenience!!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#15 of 32 Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM

So poor DH is trying to help me indulge my cravings right now by bringing me home things from his travels but they're all gross. He brought home nasty tasteless fudge from the mountains a few weeks ago and thick dark chocolate brownies last night. They were all gross. I hate to hurt his feelings but I wish he'd quit spending money on these things!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#16 of 32 Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This thread makes me so happy! It's hilarious!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#17 of 32 Old 10-23-2010, 11:06 AM

ugh, this morning awoke really hungry, so decided to eat a nice healthy breakfast of oatmeal with walnuts, bananas and milk, i couldn't finish it all and then it all came straight back up. Lucky charms, great, cinnamon rolls, no problem, something actually healthy, my body goes and rejects. And I have been feeling great m/s wise for the past 2 weeks. Guess I'll wait it out and have a bowl of lucky charms in an hour.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#18 of 32 Old 10-23-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
ugh, this morning awoke really hungry, so decided to eat a nice healthy breakfast of oatmeal with walnuts, bananas and milk, i couldn't finish it all and then it all came straight back up. Lucky charms, great, cinnamon rolls, no problem, something actually healthy, my body goes and rejects. And I have been feeling great m/s wise for the past 2 weeks. Guess I'll wait it out and have a bowl of lucky charms in an hour.
That's no fun! I've been feeling good for a few weeks but Thursday was a bad day for me. I could hardly eat anything! Go figure!

#19 of 32 Old 10-23-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
I'm totally in the same boat! I am SHOCKED at how much my "body" doesn't want healthy food! Before the pregnancy, I was almost eating a raw diet, protein smoothies, chia seed, raw cacao, beans, quinoa, no sugar except agave...then pregnant. I spent the first three months over the toilet or sink retching and when I did eat it was the crappiest food on the planet. I lost thirteen pounds in the first trimester (i'm a little overweight to begin with.

What I feel the guilt about is the fact that I threw up my vitamins for the first 3 months - wasn't eating right and I am so worried about baby's health. Not to mention that my midwife is convinced that I am a GD risk, which is likely turning out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy!

I still don't feel like I am eating enough, but hopefully it will get better as we progress along!

In the meantime, pass the cheesecake.

Lisa - Mama to DD (12/07) and now a DS (3/11)! A wonderful uc.jpg!
#20 of 32 Old 10-23-2010, 06:18 PM

i am still having food aversion and nausea, so i haven't been eating as healthfully as i normally do or would, but i'm doing my best. the one weird thing i have been eating that normally has no place in my diet is sour patch kids. i've found that eating a few sour patch kids when i'm having major food aversion can sort of kick start my appetite and then i can eat some healthy foods, but generally we're a "no-refined-sugar-household" and never do food coloring because two of my kids are sensitive them, but all those rules seem to mostly go out the window during pregnancy! like, right now, i could totally go for waffle fries and a lemonade from chic-fil-a!
#21 of 32 Old 10-23-2010, 06:36 PM

Does anyone else feel ashamed about the amount of money they've spent eating out lately?? It's downright shameful! We always try to be frugal about it but it's bad!!

#22 of 32 Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinupchamp View Post
I'm totally in the same boat! I am SHOCKED at how much my "body" doesn't want healthy food! Before the pregnancy, I was almost eating a raw diet, protein smoothies, chia seed, raw cacao, beans, quinoa, no sugar except agave...then pregnant. I spent the first three months over the toilet or sink retching and when I did eat it was the crappiest food on the planet. I lost thirteen pounds in the first trimester (i'm a little overweight to begin with.

What I feel the guilt about is the fact that I threw up my vitamins for the first 3 months - wasn't eating right and I am so worried about baby's health. Not to mention that my midwife is convinced that I am a GD risk, which is likely turning out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy!

I still don't feel like I am eating enough, but hopefully it will get better as we progress along!

In the meantime, pass the cheesecake.
Flintstones! Flintstones complete vitamins. The only vitamin that doesn't make me throw up. I've tried everything, even the high priced liquid kind. My MW recommended two Flintstone children's vitamins a day. They have enough folic acid and everything she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post
Does anyone else feel ashamed about the amount of money they've spent eating out lately?? It's downright shameful! We always try to be frugal about it but it's bad!!
Yes! That is the worst part for me. We have been blowing our budget because of my inability to cook. I've been much better though. Finally figured out that frozen convenience food is cheaper and keeps me on budget but I can still stand to cook it.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#23 of 32 Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 AM

It was my birthday over the weekend and my aunt made me chocolate, pecan bourban cake, my hubby made me pumpkin pie and our good friend who is a chef made me a pumpkin cheesecake with a gingersnap crust. I have a mw apt at 9:15 and have to get on a scale. uh-oh.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#24 of 32 Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#25 of 32 Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post
It was my birthday over the weekend and my aunt made me chocolate, pecan bourban cake, my hubby made me pumpkin pie and our good friend who is a chef made me a pumpkin cheesecake with a gingersnap crust. I have a mw apt at 9:15 and have to get on a scale. uh-oh.
Ummm...you need some help finishing those?

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#26 of 32 Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
this is us too. I'm trying to do a little better, but I still have a hard time cooking meat, and dh really resents the meatless meals. He's not being very understanding about the food aversions/cravings. So we've end up eating out more.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#27 of 32 Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 AM

Cinnamon Toast Crunch. It's the kind of crap I usually won't let in the house, and yet I'm having a bowl every day. Hey, it's fortified, right? And it's so yummy!!! I'm actually hiding it from my DD. How sad is that?

Spinach has gone bad in the fridge the last few times I've bought it, yet nasty things (like, oh, bagel bites) get eaten right away. I'm just now starting to feel like I can eat anything other than cereal, so I'm hoping we'll get back on track soon at home. My husband and DD are LOVING my bad food choices, but I'm feeling bad about it.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#28 of 32 Old 10-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
Cinnamon Toast Crunch. It's the kind of crap I usually won't let in the house, and yet I'm having a bowl every day. Hey, it's fortified, right? And it's so yummy!!! I'm actually hiding it from my DD. How sad is that?

Spinach has gone bad in the fridge the last few times I've bought it, yet nasty things (like, oh, bagel bites) get eaten right away. I'm just now starting to feel like I can eat anything other than cereal, so I'm hoping we'll get back on track soon at home. My husband and DD are LOVING my bad food choices, but I'm feeling bad about it.
I've walked slowly past the Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Lucky Charms several times at the grocery store staring at them longingly. I'd totally buy them but my children would eat them in 8 seconds flat and I'd feel sick as a dog since I'm hypoglycemic. But I want them BADLY.

We laughed last night when we realized we had a whole unopened huge bag of romaine lettuce I had bought over a month ago in the fridge. But yeah, the crap gets eaten pretty fast.

I was so proud of myself yesterday when I didn't eat a piece of cake at a birthday party but DH called and begged me to go to Krispy Kreme on the way home and I caved. I only ate two and there are still a dozen sitting on the counter but still. I fall to temptation quickly here lately..Ugh..

#29 of 32 Old 10-25-2010, 02:00 PM

I've been dying to buy frozen pizzas and cold cereals but when I read the label I just can't do it. Too much horrible stuff in the frozen pizzas and just way too much sugar in the cereal.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#30 of 32 Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks Holly - I'll give them a shot today! That will help me deal with some of the guilt for sure!

Lisa - Mama to DD (12/07) and now a DS (3/11)! A wonderful uc.jpg!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page