Dr. said stop progetserone cold turkey at 12 weeks...? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas! I was hoping some of you could give me some advice!

So I've had 2 appts with my OBGYN so far this pregnancy. I AM taking progesterone this time. I've been on it since 3DPO....and I'm 12 weeks tomorrow. I only have another day's worth of progesterone left....and the Dr. said she didn't need to do another prescription because I'm far enough along that I could just stop.

I asked her about just stopping cold turkey..but she said it was fine. I don't think that's a good idea....right? I mean to just STOP? Cold turkey? I figured I'd wean myself off of it slowly until 13 weeks and then be done with it or something.

What do you think? Would you just stop or would you wean off slowly? I'm on 200mg prometrium in the morning, and 200 at night.

The only reason I was even using the doctor was to get the progesterone so I could use my insurance...and now I think we MAY do the 20 week US so our insurance pays for it and then after that quit because I'm still planning to UC.

Anyway, just wondering if any one else has experience with this. If so...did you wean off progesterone or stop abruptly? Thanks!

Tara

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#2 of 5 Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 PM

Hi there! I was also on progesterone for the first 12 weeks as well as estrogen pills and I did stop both cold turkey. It was kind of scary because it felt like a tangible thing I was doing every day. I'm 14 weeks now and all is good. Basically by 12 weeks your placenta is delivering all the progesterone you need.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#3 of 5 Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 AM

I worked for an RE and we weaned people off progesterone at 11 wks (cut dosage in 1/2) and then stopped all together at 12 wks. BUT most RE's just stop at 12wks- he just said it seemed like people liked to go slowly better and thats why he did it that way but pretty much exactly what pp said...placenta is making plenty now so you don't need the extra.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#4 of 5 Old 10-21-2010, 03:50 PM

I didn't use progesterone with this pregnancy, but I did with DD's (I used Prochieve or Crinone, I can't remember) and my RE had me stop cold turkey at 12 weeks as well. I did freak out a bit, but all was fine. It was hard to turn over control to my body since I felt like I couldn't trust it for so long.

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#5 of 5 Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 PM

I was also on prometrium twice a day. My RE told me to stop taking them at 8 weeks and my midwives agreed. I was really scared and I continued to use some extras once a day for another week, but really I think I would have been fine just stopping. The doc would likely be happy to keep you on it forever if it improved outcomes. As others have said your placenta takes over so it is safe.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page