Spotlight on Starcat! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Becca, it's your turn in the spotlight! Enjoy!

How did you choose your username?
How did you announce this pregnancy to family and friends?
Does this pregnancy feel any different from your previous ones? If so, how?
Do you have a feeling about this baby's gender?
I noticed in your belly pics album you have some really beautiful tattoos--any stories behind them you'd be willing to share?

p.s. Sorry I capitalized your username incorrectly in the thread title--can't figure out how to change it...

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-24-2010, 02:05 PM

How did you choose your username? My user name is actually related to my tattoos. I have a tattoo on my lower back (tramp stamp!) and it is a cat standing on a star, pawing at a crescent moon. It was a notecard and it was entitled starcat. I carried it around with me for a year or 2 until I decided for sure I wanted it as a tattoo. I got the tattoo on my 21st birthday and for some reason have used that as a screen name ever since. yesterday I turned 36!

How did you announce this pregnancy to family and friends? I told my close friends right away (I was freaking out a little) and my co-workers as well. We waited to tell the girls and we bought them big sister charms for their charm bracelets and kinda let them work it out. They were/are super excited. We let them tell grandma and family.

Does this pregnancy feel any different from your previous ones? If so, how? At first no. The 1st 10-12 weeks were kinda miserable and icky. much like the 1st 2 times. I also started gaining weight right away like I did with the first 2 but at 12 weeks it was like a switch was flipped. I feel pretty normal (a little more moody and irritable, though) but overall feel really great and am not gaining quite as much as I did before. I havent ever really had a 'difficult' pregnancy, I just really am not one of those who enjoys being pregnant. Maybe because this will be the last I am trying to savor it a little bit.

Do you have a feeling about this baby's gender? I just KNEW my girls were girls. This time my gut says boy. But its definitely not as strong of a feeling as I had before. In fact, my first thought was that it was a girl. But since then I have been having boy feelings. I'd be lying if I said we weren't hoping for a boy. It would be nice to have someone on Team Mommy since the girls are all about daddy!! But we actually have a girls name we have agreed on and we know what to expect with girls so another little girl is great, too!

I noticed in your belly pics album you have some really beautiful tattoos--any stories behind them you'd be willing to share? thank you! yes I have a few tattoos. Some kinda old and need some work. The swallows on my belly are brand new! I'm kinda freaking out about them because I LOVE them and I am worried about how they will handle the pregnancy. We didn't really think we would be having a 3rd when I got them in the spring but here I am.... My arm piece is called "multitasking mommy". I had it designed for me. It's me holding a baby with 2 arms and then there are 4 other arms that are holding various other things. cell phone, lipstick, martini, feather duster. I had it added on to to make a full quarter sleeve so on the inside part is a nurses cap, baby bottle, baby rattle because I'm a nurse and specialize in OB. I'll have dh take a pic later and I'll post it. I have my girls names on my other arm. After this one is born I'll have its name added and maybe turn it into another quarter or 1/2 sleeve. The rest of my tattoos are just little bits and pieces here and there. snake on ankle, lotus flower on the center of my chest, dragon on my upper back and I have Bast on my head but you can't see it because I have hair there now.

p.s. Sorry I capitalized your username incorrectly in the thread title--can't figure out how to change it..

No worries! Thanks for the great questions!!

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#3 of 15 Old 10-24-2010, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
What sort of OB nursing do you do? L&D; postpartum; pregnancy care?

What would your ideal birth be like?

Melissa Wife to DH, Mom to DS (6) and DD (3) We are a homebirthing, no vax, intact, devoutly LDS happy family!

#4 of 15 Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM

What sort of OB nursing do you do? L&D; postpartum; pregnancy care?
My certification is in in-patient ob. Mostly I have done labor and delivery. (I can also do postpartum and well babies) I left L&D for a little over a year and worked for an RE. That job was awesome I loved it but it was a little unstable so I decided to go back to L&D. I have always worked small community hospitals and the hospital I worked at had some really great midwives and I got to support a lot of mama's who wanted to go natural so that was pretty cool. But overall I can't stand the way hospitals treat pregnancy and birth. It drives me nuts. so many interventions, so much pit. Even trying to be a good advocate it breaks my heart for people. And so many people just don't know any better and let the docs do whatever. So I made a decision to leave L&D. I am still in OB but I went from a hospital that does 100 deliveries a month to one that does well over 1000. I am strictly OR/PACU. So I basically do c-sections. I've only been there 2 weeks and I am still adjusting. It's a very high risk facility and a lot of the people truly need the c/s. Of course a lot don't, but that isn't my fault. I am there to make sure the OR part goes smoothly. Its very busy and days go fast but I get a lunch break and I get to leave on time. My heart isn't in it like it was in labor but I am still doing what I was trained to do and getting good experience. I havent' ruled out being a midwife someday but for now I need to focus on my own family and being a midwife is a hard life.

What would your ideal birth be like?

baby #1 was a transfer to hospital from birth center and a vacuum delivery. I wish it hadn't gone that way but it wasn't traumatic for me, and everything went pretty good, considering.

baby #2 was a PERFECT water birth at the birth center. It was a pretty fast active labor (although the early labor part lasted about 8-10 hrs) I was 41w3d and she was 9lbs 11oz. and it was EASY!!

I would love to do it just that way again. I wanted a home birth but dh isn't 100% on board. Mostly because he thinks I won't relax enough with people in my house to let go and birth. he knows me pretty well and that is definitely a possibility but I am leaving that option open still. There was a student midwife who delivered #2 who now works at a local birth center that does home births and bc births. I really like her and I am leaning towards going there. That way I will be able to keep both options open.

Mostly I do NOT want to go to a hospital. I want my girls to be there. and I would really like it if it happened before 41wks this time (but if going to 42 wks gives me a perfect birth, so be it) and I'd like to catch the baby myself and have the mw be hands off (which she is fine with). I know birth is unpredictable and I have no control over what happens only how I react to it. Its best to just see where it takes you and go with it.

#5 of 15 Old 10-25-2010, 12:52 AM

Are you religious? If so, what faith?

When you have an hour by yourself, no kids no hubby, and you can do ANYTHING, do you stay in or go out?

Coffee, tea or other?

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#6 of 15 Old 10-25-2010, 06:06 AM

Why did you join MDC?

What do you most look forward to after your baby is born?

Do you have a favourite saying/quote/mantra?

Are you reading a book now - if so, which one?

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
#7 of 15 Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Are you religious? If so, what faith?
Not now. I was raised Catholic but I don't practice- much to my fathers dismay. I have thought about joining the UU. I would like to expose my children to religion and I think they would fit us best but I haven't made that step yet.

When you have an hour by yourself, no kids no hubby, and you can do ANYTHING, do you stay in or go out?
so may options. go for a run, get a pedicure, read a book. probably those would be top 3.

Coffee, tea or other? Oh coffee for sure. I do 1 cup per day now. But when I'm not pregnant its much more. I like tea okay but coffee. mmmmm... I"d say my 2 biggest vices are coffee and red wine but if I only had to pick one I'd take coffee.

Why did you join MDC? I can't remember! I was here in December 05 DDC with my #2 baby. I really loved it. I feel like Im not as crunchy as some on here but I still think I fit here best and think the group here is more open minded in general. I kind of dropped off after the birth last time but I really loved being a part of the DDC. It was one of the first things I did after poas. look to see my due date. call my BFF freaking out. poas again. check to see if April DDC was up!!

What do you most look forward to after your baby is born? This time I'm so excited to see how my girls react to baby. I think they are a great age for this. I want them to be a big part of the pregnancy and birth and I can't wait to see the interactions.

Do you have a favourite saying/quote/mantra?
my birth mantra for #2 was from Dune.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Not too long ago I got an email newsletter (from MDC?) that had that same mantra listed. I don't think I need anything that intense this time. I'm not afraid.

Are you reading a book now - if so, which one? my book choices are almost embarrassing. although I occassionally read books with substance mostly I read trash! I love the paranormal romance type books (sookie stackhouse books, etc) right now I am reading a series- the first book was called undead and unwed. Its very lighthearted and funny. and trash. but entertaining and I love it.

#8 of 15 Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM

i'm hoping for some pics

what are your favorite movie genres and what are some favorite movies?

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#9 of 15 Old 10-25-2010, 01:20 PM

i'm hoping for some pics

I tried to take some myself but its hard to take pics of your own arm!! they didn't come out very good. I'll try to remember to have dh take some tonight. My friend (who is a chef) came over last night and made me a birthday dinner so I got sidetracked.

what are your favorite movie genres and what are some favorite movies?

I'm not a huge movie person but I like movies like I like my books. Nothing too serious. I feel like I have to think a lot at work and when I watch movies or read I really like to just be entertained. I'm definitely not a critic or movie snob. If it keeps me entertained for 2 hours or whatever then I like it. Some of my all time favorites I guess are: Party Girl, Ever After, The Harry Potter Movies. The last movie I saw in the theater was eat, pray, love. I liked it, also loved the book.

#10 of 15 Old 10-25-2010, 02:18 PM

StarCat, I just have to say I'm right there with you on books and movies! My husband was a film major in college and he gets so frustrated with me. I do appreciate a good film but typically if he puts something on in b/w or with sub-titles I whine and then I'm asleep in 10 minutes. However, put on a chick flick and I can stay up through the whole thing.

Mom to DD1 8/09 and DD2 4/11

#11 of 15 Old 10-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanG View Post
StarCat, I just have to say I'm right there with you on books and movies! My husband was a film major in college and he gets so frustrated with me. I do appreciate a good film but typically if he puts something on in b/w or with sub-titles I whine and then I'm asleep in 10 minutes. However, put on a chick flick and I can stay up through the whole thing.
that's how my husband is too! drives me batty although he will *pretend* that he likes them... the snoring demonstrates otherwise.

#12 of 15 Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 PM

okay as promised tattoo pics- these are just my arms. right arm is the one with girls names. left arm is the 'multitasking' mommy.

girls names

multitasking mommy

I know, she's bottle feeding I get crap for that all the time. It was completely in the interest of the design. If it was true to life completely it would be breastfeeding, have a glass of red wine instead of a martini and a broom instead of a feather duster. I actually asked for those things but had to compromise in the interest of aesthetics... also- my boobs are not now nor have they ever been that awesome. I do, however, love him for making me so stacked in the pic!!

#13 of 15 Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 PM

<3 them!!! cute belly ya got there too

#14 of 15 Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 PM

thanks. I had him take a belly pic, too. I just got home from a run and was sweaty and icky and looked horrible in that one so I didn't post it.

#15 of 15 Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post
okay as promised tattoo pics- these are just my arms. right arm is the one with girls names. left arm is the 'multitasking' mommy.

girls names

multitasking mommy

I know, she's bottle feeding I get crap for that all the time. It was completely in the interest of the design. If it was true to life completely it would be breastfeeding, have a glass of red wine instead of a martini and a broom instead of a feather duster. I actually asked for those things but had to compromise in the interest of aesthetics... also- my boobs are not now nor have they ever been that awesome. I do, however, love him for making me so stacked in the pic!!
great tats!!!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page