Calling all twin mamas :) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
First ... 3  4  5 6 
April 2011 > Calling all twin mamas :)
IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar IdentityCrisisMama 03:37 PM 01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4six View Post

I am sad to say that I am no longer pregnant.

My boys were born via emergency c-section Friday afternoon.

Lucas and David are both stable and doing pretty well in the NICU.

I'm not a twin mama but I just saw this - I think you are the first mama in our DDC to have her bab(ies)!  Congrats, mama!  I'm sure the NICU is super stressful and scary.  I hope everything goes as well as it can in the NICU and that you'll be back to share your birth story when you're home with your babies.  

nadia105's Avatar nadia105 06:16 PM 01-20-2011

Hope4six, quick healing vibes to you and super growing vibes to your little boys!  So glad to hear that they are doing well!

~adorkable~'s Avatar ~adorkable~ 12:20 AM 01-21-2011

Hope4six, sending you hugs and warm safe healthy thought for you and your boys. so glad to hear that they are doing well considering how soon they came into this world. take care of yourself and the beautiful little lives you have birthed

Nanette56's Avatar Nanette56 06:41 AM 01-21-2011

Oh mama- I'm so sorry! I'm very happy to hear that those two precious little ones are doing so well though. I'm really looking forward to hearing your birthing story when things calm down over there. Take care of yourself ((hugs))

AFM- Thanks for the advice mama. The pressure is not as strong any more, it feels more normal now, I think that all the walking I did that day combined with the babies switching positions may have had something to do with it. Been having a few BH ctx but like one or two a day randomly. So I'm not worried, if anything changes I'm going in for sure though.

preggers5's Avatar preggers5 12:12 PM 01-25-2011

Hope4six-I'm sorry the babies came so early but I'm glad they're doing ok!! I will keep you all in my prayers.

BTW-Congratulations!

Liora's Avatar Liora 04:41 PM 01-27-2011

Ugh.  Massive Fail!  My GD test came back and my blood glucose was 207!!!  So bad they don't even need me to take the 3 hour (which is good because I was NOT going to fast).  So, ugh.  I had GD with DD and I felt it was a bogus diagnosis (hey, that rhymes!) because the only time my BG was over 120 was during the test.  I was initially so upset but why did I hate the GD diagnosis?  More u/s and NST and pressure to deliver by 40 weeks.  Well, with twins I'm getting WAY more u/s anyways, NST begin weekly at 30 weeks, and I don't want to go past 39 weeks anyways.  So, even if I don't end up with "real" GD then I guess it doesn't matter.  This pregnancy is so much higher tech than last time it is kind of moot.

I'm going to be careful though.  I AM older, fatter, and eating lots of sweets this pregnancy so I certainly don't want to develop full on GD. 

How is everyone?

Nanette56's Avatar Nanette56 10:51 AM 02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liora View Post

Ugh.  Massive Fail!  My GD test came back and my blood glucose was 207!!!  So bad they don't even need me to take the 3 hour (which is good because I was NOT going to fast).  So, ugh.  I had GD with DD and I felt it was a bogus diagnosis (hey, that rhymes!) because the only time my BG was over 120 was during the test.  I was initially so upset but why did I hate the GD diagnosis?  More u/s and NST and pressure to deliver by 40 weeks.  Well, with twins I'm getting WAY more u/s anyways, NST begin weekly at 30 weeks, and I don't want to go past 39 weeks anyways.  So, even if I don't end up with "real" GD then I guess it doesn't matter.  This pregnancy is so much higher tech than last time it is kind of moot.

I'm going to be careful though.  I AM older, fatter, and eating lots of sweets this pregnancy so I certainly don't want to develop full on GD. 

How is everyone?

I meant to respond to this post like oh, eons ago, but I responded on FB, so you can excuse my tardiness right?? ;) Sorry again to hear about this, I'm hopeful it won't cause any problems. I'm in the same boat with the NSTs and the sonos, and frankly, I too am ok with it. IMHO the radiation people always complain about is nothing compared to making sure everyone's ok in there. IDK, maybe that's the mainstream mama in me peeking out. How do they monitor your GD by the way?

I'm beginning to really wonder whether or not I have it, even though I passed the GD breakfast test. I went in for my 32 week sono today and the babies are ENORMOUS. 4lbs 10oz for Baby A and 4lbs 9oz for Baby B. The peri asked whether or not I had tested for GD and I told him I had (I did, but the breakfast, not the GTT) so now I'm a little worried. He said that if they're big because they're just big, then they're going to be VERY HEALTHY. If they're big because of GD, they could have breathing issues. So he's got me all stressed about that now. Additionally he told me that because they're so big, and are STILL freakin' transverse, that he's not real optimistic about them turning as the weeks go on. :( External version with twins is too risky- have you all heard that? I don't know what to do. After all this planning and preparation, I don't want a damn C-section!!! UGH.

theycallmemom's Avatar theycallmemom 01:03 PM 02-10-2011

I'm not a twin mom, but gonna comment anyway-hope you don't mind!

Nanette, GD actually does not raise breathing issues by much(nothing like actual diabetes), so please do not worry about that!!    Also, u/s can be off by a lb or more by this time, and worse as time goes on, so you could easily have 3lbers(unlikely that they are 5lbers) and now is the time that twins really start slowing on their growth. So even if they are 4.5lbs, they still might only be 6ish lbs by 37weeks.  1/2lb a week for ONE baby stops around 38w, but twins usually put on much slower starting at 30-33weeks. I haev a friend who was told her babies were 3.5 and 4lbs at 31weeks and they were born 2 weeks later just over 3 and 3.5lbs.   I also have a friend who was told both her's were over 6lbs at 37weeks.  Both were UNDER 6lbs at 40!   U/s is not reliable for weights ((hugs)).   I really hope they turn down for you, though!

theycallmemom's Avatar theycallmemom 01:15 PM 02-10-2011

Sorry my mom got here to pick up a couple littles for kite flying, and I didn't finish my post all the way, LOL.

Anyway, wrt the GD, if you are really concerned, Walmart has a 10 test, comes with everything you need for 10 or 20 tests.   Take a fasting test, and post meal series(1,2 and 3 hrs) and see what your numbers are like.   You can do it several times to get an idea.   If your numbers are high, increase protien, lower cheap carbs, find your weakness.   I don't have GD, but have had an 11lber, and the rest have all been 8-9lbers.  This time I was concerned b/c I am heavier, so I've kept a closer eye on my blood.   It's all good so far <3    Anyway, eating higher protien, lower carb(esp cheap carbs, like sugar, white flour,etc if you do) and eating smaller meals more often is the basic beginning treatments for GD, all of those you are probably doing anyway :)

J's Mombee's Avatar J's Mombee 10:59 PM 02-12-2011

I am finally getting over the flu.  Whew that kicked my butt.  I never ever want to experience that again.  The babies are doing great, but wowwy!!!!  I now feel like I understand how people did not survive the flu years ago.  I am so grateful to be moving through it.  I cannot even remember how I got from Tuesday to Friday.

I am sorry that I hijacked the thread to discuss twin pregnancy to discuss how bad my butt was kicked by the flu, but the bright side is that the twins are doing great.  I was very dehydrated, but the babies seemed to continue to bounce & flip even during my ER visit. 

I am so grateful that I am not closer to delivery whilst recovering from the flu, because that might have been worse to deliver with the lack of energy that the flu caused.

I made it to 32 weeks today! :) The countdown is on :) I am so excited!

StarCat's Avatar StarCat 06:32 AM 02-18-2011

hey twin mama's!!  Our newest April addition got me to thinking about hope4six and wondering if anyone knew how her babes are doing??  Also, Liora- how's she doing in the hospital?

If anyone has any contact let them know we are still thinking of them. 

Hope4six's Avatar Hope4six 02:02 PM 02-18-2011

Starcat, thanks for thinking of me and my babies.  I admit that I find the DDC forum difficult emotionally.  I ought to be pregnant awaiting a peaceful homebirth, not momma to 5 week-old boys.:-(  I've taken to deleting updates most days.  For some reason I bothered to read this thread's updates today.  I do think of all of you often, and try not to be envious for those of you still pregnant.  Twins need all the time in utero they can get!

I got the flu Sunday night, and today will be the first day I get to see them this week.  It's kind of gotten me down a bit more than usual.  I've had trouble with milk supply.  Pumping just isn't working that well for me, and my milk was super slow to start, because of the c-section and drugs, I imagine.  So last Thursday my boys had to start getting formula in stead of only my milk, and they've had more issues since then.  I switched breast pumps and got on an herbal tincture, so my milk's been increasing, and I'm supposed to start nursing them now.  I guess I was supposed to start on Monday, but obviously I've been unable to.:-(

They've both gained a good bit of weight.  So far they've pretty much stayed abreast of each other as they progress.  Lucas still weighs just a few ounces less than David does.:-)  Only now they are both close to 5lbs.

I'm thankful there's nothing wrong with them.  A few blips on some tests, but nothing to be concerned about, the doctors say.

My hubby has been super wonderful through this, but honestly I think he's under way more stress than I am.

The hospital is not quite an hour away, and so far there have been only two days we did not make the drive.

Once because of super bad roads (blizzard), and yesterday because I was still sick and he came down with it, too.:-(

The older kids are starting to get more settled down.  Things were pretty crazy for a while.  But I suppose things will get all crazy again for a while once the little guys get home, too.

Again, thanks for asking!  I do read a lot more than I comment these days.  I'm not much of a talker when I'm down.

nadia105's Avatar nadia105 02:47 PM 02-18-2011

Hopeforsix, it sounds like your boys are growing sooo well!  Is there a certain weight they need to get to or another milestone before they can come home with you?  I can't imagine the stress of trying to take care of the kids at home and pumping and driving to see your babies. 

StarCat's Avatar StarCat 04:47 PM 02-18-2011

Oh thank you for posting!!!  You (and babes) are still an important part of this DDC even though they are already here.  I totally get that it must be emotional for you, though. and totally respect that but its nice to know you are still here. We would love to get updates and see pics, too!!    We are definitely thinking of you and your boys! Hope you feel better soon , keep us updated if you can and much love to you, the babiies and your whole fam!!

IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar IdentityCrisisMama 08:23 AM 02-19-2011

Hope4six - thanks for the update.  I too can understand why posting and keeping up here may be emotionally too much for you...and a downer to boot.  A couple of times I've been tempted to congratulate you publicly on the forum but sensed that you didn't want that/would come post when you were ready.  I'm sorry to hear about your milk troubles - pumping w/o nursing must be so, so hard.  It's hard enough for some mamas to get a good milk flow with a baby at the breast - can't imagine with just the pump.  It seems way uncomfortable too.  I'm also sorry to hear about how long a drive it is to the hospital.  You are working 10x what you should have to right now!  Sometimes I think babies get the mamas (and papas) who they need - and the parents who get the difficult situations are the really strong parents.  I hope you'll pop in from time to time and know that we are thinking of you.  

Nanette56's Avatar Nanette56 06:28 AM 03-01-2011
Hope 4 six hope all is still well after your last update. That sounds so terribly hard, and yet I'm so happy those babies got you for a mama. Hang in there, and you'll get to take them home in no time. I love your new profile pic btw.

Who is left in here? I wanna hear updates!

AFM NST's every week. Yesterdays revealed an "irritable uterus" (I'd be irritable too if I had over 10 lbs of babies whaling on me every day!) but doc was concerned about the ctx I was having though I could barely feel them and they were really inconsistent. He asked to check me and I declined. So he said just go to the ER if they continue. But honestly I can't feel them unless I'm in a certain position and even then I'm not sure. So I'm not too worried. I'll be 35 weeks on Friday, so I really just need to make it at least another week and a half and all will be well. They are both well over 5 pounds now I'm guessing (they were 4.9 and 4.10 3 weeks ago-accurate to within a half a pound)- and I'll have a weight update on Thursday. So at least they'll be nice and big when they get here!

What's going on with you very quiet ladies??

Nanette56's Avatar Nanette56 06:29 AM 03-01-2011
Sorry re-post..
dayiscoming2006's Avatar dayiscoming2006 12:46 PM 03-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanette56 View Post

AFM NST's every week. Yesterdays revealed an "irritable uterus" (I'd be irritable too if I had over 10 lbs of babies whaling on me every day!) but doc was concerned about the ctx I was having though I could barely feel them and they were really inconsistent. He asked to check me and I declined. So he said just go to the ER if they continue. But honestly I can't feel them unless I'm in a certain position and even then I'm not sure. So I'm not too worried. I'll be 35 weeks on Friday, so I really just need to make it at least another week and a half and all will be well. They are both well over 5 pounds now I'm guessing (they were 4.9 and 4.10 3 weeks ago-accurate to within a half a pound)- and I'll have a weight update on Thursday. So at least they'll be nice and big when they get here!

Not a twin mama, but wanted to say that good for you for holding your ground with what you want or don't want. Those contractions don't sound too bad to me. I had contractions that were even painful sometimes and they would be consistent for a couple hours sometimes (every 5 mins) from around 3 or 4 weeks before my second was born (at 39 and a half weeks.) I think it would be a much greater concern if they were very regular, gradually intensifying and growing closer together.

Good to hear you are doing well. 

J's Mombee's Avatar J's Mombee 08:47 PM 03-06-2011

Hi Everybody,

We are trying really hard to hang tight for a while.  I am 34 weeks today, but I have been feeling quite odd today <-- I know that this might not mean much, whew, I am hoping to be able to hold on a little longer.  The babies estimated weight was 5 lbs, 1 oz & 4 lbs 9 oz 1 week ago, so my hope is to get them over the 5 lb mark.  My inspiration has been my aunt who had 2 sets of twins weighing over 6 lbs.

Nanette56's Avatar Nanette56 05:10 AM 03-07-2011
Thanks for the encouragement dayiscoming smile.gif Headed back today for another NST, I only had one crazy ctx yesterday, must've been BH because I didn't feel it again. Cramp started in the Lowe back (I was sitting in a recliner not doing anything) emanated up to the neck and around to the top of my abdomen. I could actually see my belly pulsing- it was weird!

J's Mombee, hang in there mama we are almost there! Running out of steam, but almost there smile.gif I've been feeling strange too. Vomiting a la first trimester has returned?? Hopefully those two will hang in there for at least another week or too! Sending you good vibes there aren't many of us left!!
Liora's Avatar Liora 06:11 PM 03-07-2011

I think you are all in a good place!  My boys were born at 32 weeks and were both over 5lbs and even though they have a NICU stay ahead of them they are really healthy and thriving!  It is more a "wait and grow" thing than a sick baby thing, you know?  I'm praying you all hold out as long as possible and here's to HUGE babies!!!

J's Mombee's Avatar J's Mombee 11:52 PM 03-09-2011

Still hanging at 34 weeks, 4 days.  I have a pain in my right hip that seems to be aggravated by any movement, including in slight weight adjustments.  Whew, it hurts.  I can say that I am looking forward to meeting my little beans, but I will and can wait as long as it takes. 

How is everyone else doing?

J's Mombee's Avatar J's Mombee 12:26 AM 03-20-2011

36 weeks today: Baby A is head down & Baby B is still breech.  How is everybody?

burleson's Avatar burleson 07:45 AM 03-20-2011

I'm still here too!

35w2d today....Baby a is Vertex, Baby B is transverse.  Still planning on a vaginal birth.

Getting REALLY uncomfortable!  But hanging in and trying to grow these babes as big as possible!!

Hope4six's Avatar Hope4six 09:00 PM 03-20-2011

I'm here.:-)  Lucas has been home for 10 days now, but David is still in the  hospital for another week, at least.  I'm getting really weary of all the travel, especially now that I'm trying to keep up  with breastfeeding Lucas and pumping enough for David.

And here I am over 9 weeks post-partum, and I've only lost 13lbs.  What's up with that?  I mean, my boobs are enormous, true, but surely I ought to have lost more of my pregnancy weight by now.  All I can figure is that the stress of everything is keeping it on.  I can only just barely fit into two pairs of my "normal" pants.  Finding matching clothes to wear ever day is an ordeal, and I can't wait until we bring David home so that I can stay in pj's all day.orngtongue.gif

I look forward to hearing how everyone else's births turn out!

StarCat's Avatar StarCat 09:04 PM 03-20-2011

Thanks for the update.  How great that Lucas has been home for so long- Hope you have David home soon with you.  I never lose baby weight right away.  Its very frustrating!

Nanette-  You've been quiet- hope all is okay!  maybe just not feeling up to posting??

EricaRN's Avatar EricaRN 10:39 PM 03-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4six View Post

I'm here.:-)  Lucas has been home for 10 days now, but David is still in the  hospital for another week, at least.  I'm getting really weary of all the travel, especially now that I'm trying to keep up  with breastfeeding Lucas and pumping enough for David.

And here I am over 9 weeks post-partum, and I've only lost 13lbs.  What's up with that?  I mean, my boobs are enormous, true, but surely I ought to have lost more of my pregnancy weight by now.  All I can figure is that the stress of everything is keeping it on.  I can only just barely fit into two pairs of my "normal" pants.  Finding matching clothes to wear ever day is an ordeal, and I can't wait until we bring David home so that I can stay in pj's all day.orngtongue.gif

I look forward to hearing how everyone else's births turn out!

Such great news that Lucas is home!!! Congrats on that! I'm sure David is right behind him! :-) My best friend's son was in the NICU 11 weeks and as hard as it was to have him there, he's had no lasting effects from his prematurity. I hope the same for your boys! He is 21 months old now and his NICU stay (and subsequent 12 months of being at home on the monitor and oxygen) is just a distant memory now. It's crazy how something that can be so extreme and life altering one minute can be nothing but a distant memory the next. I hope you've been able to find some healing from your experiences. I know it must be extremely hard. We are all here to listen if you want to talk about it, and we're here to support you if you don't.. Wishing you a happy spring rejuvenation for you and your boys! flowersforyou.gif

J's Mombee's Avatar J's Mombee 06:20 AM 03-27-2011
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. So happy to hear about the new arrivals and their continued progress.
Hope4six's Avatar Hope4six 01:59 PM 03-27-2011

David finally got to come home on Friday.  No more running to and from the NICU every day!  The first day/night with both of them was pretty tricky, and my hubby lost way more sleep than he expected.LOL

But now I think we're settling in a bit.  David is on an apnea monitor, but it doesn't go off very often; he's doing better than he was in the hospital.  Go figure!

I'm working at getting them both to breastfeed for all feedings, mostly because I simply don't have much time to pump!  David is improving nicely; he didn't want a bottle at all after his last nursing session.:-)

I still find myself wondering how in the world we ended up with two baby boys.  It's still a little bit unbelievable to me that we have twins.

I hope the rest of you are doing well!

nadia105's Avatar nadia105 04:09 PM 03-27-2011

So glad both of your boys are home now!  That will be so nice to not have to make the trips to the hospital!  I wonder if David will get stronger faster with his brother so close by?

First ... 3  4  5 6 

Up