Pregnancy Struggles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-31-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been so extremely hormonal with this pregnancy (not that I wasn't with my DS). I'll be fine one moment and then raging about something the next. It's even more hard when I get upset with my DS, because I know my feelings are just my hormones talking. Does anyone have advice for calming down or clearing your head when something just seems to really bother you and you can't get it off your mind?

My main annoyance in my life right now is my MIL. As long as she's not near me, I do okay, but I get all upset after I've been around her and then I'm fine after I cool down, but I don't want to be that way. I'm working on just not being around her often, which shouldn't be too hard since we live 2 hours away.

But for everything else in life that "annoys" me, well, I don't want to keep acting like an insane person and flying off the handle every other minute. I know it's a little over-exaggerating, but I think you ladies know what I mean.

Since my son has hit 12 months, he's started the yelling/screaming when he wants things (he's still not talking really, so it's hard to tell what he wants) and throws a little fit (not really tantrums yet) when I change his diaper or do something he doesn't like. After about an hour or so of trying to work with him when he's like that, I tend to get edgy. How do you ladies keep patience with your LOs? I hate it when I hear my self get upset back at him and yell or something and then I feel guilt and regret.

I hope I'm not going on too much about this, I'm just looking for some advice on cooling down quickly or how to possibly make better use of my 'me' time so that I'm calm and collected with my family again. Thanks!

Lydia , wife to DH , mama to Titus (8-11-09) and we just started
#2 of 3 Old 10-31-2010, 03:16 PM

hugs, mama. It's tough being pregnant and having another little critter to look after. I know when I was pg the second time, I had a lot of trouble in the latter half of the pregnancy, things similar to what you describe. I had no patience with DS, and would yell and scream at him, then deal with waves of guilt, which would make me even more prone to yelling. I think I had antepartum depression, as I continued to deal with this type of anger on into postpartum and got even worse. (Not saying of course that you have AD, just that that's what I think I dealt with )

Try taking time for yourself each day, or every couple days. Even a few minutes before bed to read a book, meditate/pray, or light a candle and enjoy some silence and a cup of tea. Remember to breathe when you're feeling like that--sounds silly but sometimes we forget to breathe when we're upset. Breathe deeply, slowly in and out.

If you're not already, try adding evening primrose oil, a b complex, and fish oil/omega 3 supplement. These things can all help with mood and balancing out hormones. Some evidence shows that evening primrose might increase the risk of miscarriage in the first trimester, but that shouldn't be a problem at this point (and my MW said that she doesn't worry about that for her moms).

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#3 of 3 Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 PM

Please don't think I'm patronizing you by asking such a silly question, but, are you eating enough? I find that if I am hungry I am more irritable and short tempered with my DS. (He's almost 2 and throws huge raging fits that are hard to deal with sometimes.) Often I don't even realize that I AM hungry until I feel irritable. I get busy and forget to eat. When you feel irrationally angry, try asking yourself when you last ate. If it's been a few hours, try eating a small snack like a scoop of cottage cheese or spoonful of peanut butter (natural peanut butter, not the stuff w/sugar). Try to make it a high protein, low or no sugar snack.

Another thing that helps me is prayer. Just saying a quick one, asking for peace, thanking God for my son who IS a blessing despite his tempers, you get the idea. Prayer is incredibly soothing. If you do not believe in God, try meditation or reciting some affirmations.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page