Pain between upper thigh joint and groin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-13-2010, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I decided to pass up the wheelchair in favor of walking around Islands of Adventure for 4-5 hours yesterday. I wore my maternity belt, so everything FELT fine until we were leaving. I had been sitting for about an hour (waiting for DH and DS to get off a ride) and when I got up I felt this terrible pain between my thigh joint and pubic bone (I guess the groin area) on both sides. I could barely walk. I really didn't think I'd make it to the front of the park. I figured it was just all the walking I'd done. Today, I can barely lift my feet off the ground it hurts so bad- feels like my legs are going to fall off! WTH is this? Is this normal??

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 AM

doesn't seem like walking around for 4-5 hours should have been too much.  esp. if you took plenty of breaks.  Maybe its a positional thing with babies or a pulled muscle?? maybe take it easy today and see how it goes. 

Do you guys have season passes?  We are thinking of getting them this year.  I can't wait to see the Harry Potter Park. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#3 of 19 Old 11-13-2010, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

We didn't take any breaks hide.gif I did not sit or rest until I sat down for that hour (TBH I just wasn't tired, and my back didn't hurt for once- so I was enjoying myself)- I think I might go see the chiro next week if it doesn't go away.

And yes! We have season passes to both parks- DS loves Harry Potter. As a special surprise DH and I took him out of school early and surprised him with a trip to the park yesterday. (Trying to do all this stuff before the babies get here, because we know we'll kinda be limited). It really is a lot of fun, and the butterbeer is YUMMY! The weather has been perfect, and if you go on a weekday the lines are really short. Most rides (outside of Hogsmeade) were like a 5-20 minute wait only. It was really cool. The ones in Hogsmeade were longer, but not too crazy (The Forbidden Journey was only 45 minutes) The longest line was almost 2 hours to get into Olivander's. (We still haven't managed to go in there). We went into Dervish and Botts (a much shorter line) and got a wand there instead. I can give ya other tips before you go, just PM me, but it's super fun :)

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#4 of 19 Old 11-13-2010, 05:17 AM

okay, I'll probably take you up on that!  ...I don't know when we will be doing passes. Probably after Christmas.  They are so much more affordable than Disney.  I've actually only been to universal once and never IOA.  But DH went with his dad last year and said the girls had a blast (I was working!) I loved when we had disney passes but no way we could afford them as a family of 4 (almost 5!)

Hope you feel better as the day goes on! Sounds like a chiropractor would be able to help a lot. 

#5 of 19 Old 11-13-2010, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Could this be it?

"The symptoms of SPD vary from person to person, but almost all women who have it experience substantial pubic pain.  Tenderness and pain down low in the front is common, but often this pain feels as if it's inside.  The pubic area is generally very tender to the touch; many moms find it painful when the doctor or midwife pushes down on the pubic bone while measuring the uterus (fundal height).  

Any activity that involves lifting one leg at a time or parting the legs tends to be particularly painful. Lifting the leg to put on clothes, getting out of a car, bending over, sitting down or getting up, walking up stairs, standing on one leg, lifting heavy objects, and walking in general tend to be difficult at times. Many women report that moving or turning over in bed is  especially excruciating.  One woman wrote, "There were days that I didn't think I was going to be able to get out of bed and actually had to roll out of bed and onto the floor to be able to do so!" [See her story below.]

Many movements become difficult when the pubic symphysis area is affected.  Although the greatest pain is associated with movements of lifting one leg or parting the legs, some women experience a 'freezing', where they get up out of bed and find it hard to get their bodies moving right away--the hip bone seems stuck in place and won't move at first.  Or they describe having to wait for it to 'pop into place' before being able to walk.  The range of hip movement is usually affected, and abduction of the hips especially painful.  

Many women also report sciatica (pain that shoots down the buttocks and leg) when pubic pain is present.  SPD can also also be associated with bladder dysfunction, especially when going from lying down (or squatting) to a standing position.  Some women also feel a 'clicking' when they walk or shift just 'so', or lots of pressure down low near the pubic area.   

Many women with SPD also report very strong round ligament pain (pulling or tearing feelings in the abdomen when rolling over, moving suddenly, sneezing, coughing, getting up, etc.).  Some chiropractors feel that round ligament pain can be an early symptom of SPD problems, and indicate the need for adjustments.  Other providers consider round ligament pain normal, part of the body adjusting to the growing uterus.  If experienced with pubic and/or low back pain, it probably is associated with the SPD."

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm#Symptoms

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#6 of 19 Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 AM

I was thinking round ligament pain as well.  I had this pretty bad with DD, and regular visits to the chiro kept it in check.  I need to start going back to the chiro again with this baby...

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#7 of 19 Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 AM

I have chronic SPD after last pregnancy and birth and "felling like my legs are going to fall off" is the best discription I can give when I have a flare up. My flare ups usually happen after walking a lot and putting any pressure on the joins while my legs are spread up. This pregnancy around 10 wks I went up the hill skipping steps and afterwards was in so much pain I could not get out of the bed next morning.  I wanted to go to chiropractor but could not because I have no money and my insurance would only pay for treatment if it was prescribed by my doctor. The doctor I went to sent me to massage therapist instead and I was disapointed. However, she did lower back massage and shiatsu on my legs and after second treatment I was pain free again.

#8 of 19 Old 11-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

doesn't seem like walking around for 4-5 hours should have been too much.  esp. if you took plenty of breaks.  Maybe its a positional thing with babies or a pulled muscle?? maybe take it easy today and see how it goes. 

4 -5 hours would have me hospitalized!  Going grocery shopping makes my pubic bone throb for hours.  Sounds like SPD to me.  I had it with my last pregnancy toward the end but so far it is 10x worse with twins! 

I have a great book called Healing Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy with some great exercises and advice for modifying your activity for SPD. 

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#9 of 19 Old 11-13-2010, 03:50 PM

I was thinking SPD too. I had it with my last pregnancy starting maybe halfway through, and am already feeling it when I've been walking for awhile. That's exactly what the pain feels like, across the public region between the thigh joints.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#10 of 19 Old 11-14-2010, 04:31 AM

I am literally on my feet and going 12 hours a day 3 days a week.  If anything like this happened to me I don't know what I would do.   I had pain in my hips and pelvis with the last pregnancy but they told me it was most likely because they were so closely spaced. (the pregnancies- not the hips! LOL)   I have to come home and put my feet up after my 12 hour shifts but I get through them okay.  Of course I"ve got 1 bambino in there you guys have double!!

Nannette- hope you are feeling much better today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liora View Post

Quote:

4 -5 hours would have me hospitalized!  Going grocery shopping makes my pubic bone throb for hours.  Sounds like SPD to me.  I had it with my last pregnancy toward the end but so far it is 10x worse with twins! 

I have a great book called Healing Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy with some great exercises and advice for modifying your activity for SPD. 

#11 of 19 Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses ladies- I thought it was too early for SPD, but maybe that's what it was. The good news is, it was gone by Sunday :) I'm pain free today, so fingers crossed that it won't come back. I've got enough with the backaches for now. I'll be "wussing" out and taking the wheelchair for any other theme park days, the pain was just not worth it! I spoke with a chiro on Saturday, and may go in for a consult this week. I just get scared of them because I hear of adjustments causing strokes sometimes :/ I'm just super paranoid about them. Anyway, hope ya'll have a fabulous week :)

#12 of 19 Old 11-15-2010, 10:39 AM

Yea, friend of mine told me that his friend supposedly died from stroke caused by adjustment but it did not stop his wife from getting chiropractic care. I started seeing chiropractor during my first pregnancy and since then it was a life saver for me as I have a weak back and my work involves lifting heavy things. I wish I could afford one now.

#13 of 19 Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I am literally on my feet and going 12 hours a day 3 days a week.  If anything like this happened to me I don't know what I would do.   I had pain in my hips and pelvis with the last pregnancy but they told me it was most likely because they were so closely spaced. (the pregnancies- not the hips! LOL)   I have to come home and put my feet up after my 12 hour shifts but I get through them okay.  Of course I"ve got 1 bambino in there you guys have double!!

Nannette- hope you are feeling much better today!

I am really lucky to have a computer-based job I can do from home during my pregnancies.  If I had an on-my-feet job I don't know what I'd do!  My last pregnancy I didn't know what SPD is so I didn't take it easy when it started and do anything preventative (chiro, exercises, etc.) and ended up in a wheel chair.  If I were a waitress or something I'd have been out of work.  This time, since I know I'm prone to it I've really stayed on top of it and *hopefully* I can keep it in check!

Another good point for anyone with SPD - It made labor easier and was completely gone within a month of delivery!  Once your hormones go back to normal it resolves itself most of the time.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#14 of 19 Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexapurple View Post

Yea, friend of mine told me that his friend supposedly died from stroke caused by adjustment but it did not stop his wife from getting chiropractic care. I started seeing chiropractor during my first pregnancy and since then it was a life saver for me as I have a weak back and my work involves lifting heavy things. I wish I could afford one now.

Oh my!  I've never heard of this!  I go weekly when pregnant.  It does wonders for my SPD and my chronic headaches!  Massage is another option.

#15 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 PM

SPD definitely sounds like what im suffering from. but im wondering, how a chiropractor would be able to help? i've been thinking about getting a deep tissue massage because my tailbone has been killing me in conjunction with my groin/pubic area.. if a chiropractor can make this pain go away i'll totally make an appointment!

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#16 of 19 Old 11-22-2010, 02:33 PM

Chiropractors help with SPD by adjusting your hips to be even, putting less stress on the symphisis pubis joint.  In severe cases, they may even adjust the symphisis pubis joint from the front, which *REALLY* hurt the first day she did it, but helped immensely.  I'm having it earlier with this pregnancy, but it's much less severe, so I'm dealing... so far.  The chiro's name is still in my appointment book, though, for next trimester, I'm pretty sure I'll need it.

#17 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 01:34 PM

OMG this is me... I first got SPD with DD and it wasn't bad at all until a few weeks before my due date. I went 2 weeks over with her so by that point it was horrific. however, as soon as I went into labor the pain was gone and I never felt it again.... until my pregnancy with DS just 7 months later... I started getting it pretty bad at 16 weeks with him and when I delivered him at 35 weeks it was so bad I literally could not stand up or walk without assistance. I had excrutiating pain during labor with him and to be honest I dont know if I could've birthed him vaginally even if I'd been given the chance... There was no way I could separate my legs enough! Now this time SPD kicked in at 10 weeks, yep I said it 10 WEEKS! I was scared to death it was going to kill me before I'd ever even deliver. But I'm fortunate enough to get to stay home this pregnancy and that has helped TREMENDOUSLY! I still have horrible pain, need help getting out of bed, have freeze ups where I all of a sudden cant walk (or if I still try I fall down cuz my hips just wont work correctly) but overall I feel much better than expected. I think the key is to take it as easy as possible so that you dont have flare ups which push you over the edge. Whenever I do (like when we just moved!!) I have such excrutiating pain that I literally cant get out of bed for a few days but then slowly I get to the point where I can walk and eventually am back to somewhat normal. Hope this helps! Just take it easy as much as possible!!!

Would like to see a chiro I think... scared though. A friend of mine is 37 weeks and sees a chiro for SPD and she says they pop it back in place every week when she goes and that sounds HORRIBLE to me. lol.. I'm sure it's not too bad or else my friend wouldn't keep going ;-)

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#18 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 PM

I had SPD last time but can't for the life of me remember when...

So far I've avoided anything but the mildest discomfort. I'm 23 wks right now.

I'm crediting Vit C with helping things. I've been taking 500mg/day.

Last time my midwife gave me Sepia. If it's an ongoing problem there may be something your provider could recommend homeopathically.

#19 of 19 Old 12-07-2010, 11:21 PM

I would be very sore too. I had SPD last time and it's returned this time but its pretty manageable so far. Who knows what it'll be like when the baby is bigger.

Take it easy for a few days, meaning favor it if you need to, try to do thing with both legs, lean on the bed to put pants on, keep knees together when turning in bed, etc. Don't really try to stretch it at this point either, just let those muscles rest when you can.

ETA: glad it's feeling better, do the above if it returns or as a preventative. I agree with a chiro, one does the webster method. As another poster said, it focuses on the alignment of your hips and pelvis. They stay away from cracking your neck :). Chiro care gave me a lot of relief last time, and I also had to adapt how I sat at my desk at work, and had to get up every 30 min. Long time sitting was pretty painful once I got up.

Massage...I need to keep that in mind if mine gets worse later in pregnancy. It didn't start for me previously until maybe 24 weeks or so, and this time I started feeling twinges several weeks ago (22 weeks now).

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page