Still use a name if it's top 10? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2010, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I are pretty set on Finnegan, but apparently on Today show this am they said it's in the top 10 names. Well, Finn is.

Would you still use it? I love that my DD doesn't know anyone else with her name, and so does she. And I always hated having 3 other Allison's in my class when I was growing up.

Apparently Aidan and Liam are the top two boy names, Sophia and Isabella the top two for girls.

WWYD?

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm not sure how entirely true that is. Social Security keeps track of the top 1000 baby names for each year. For 2009, Finnegan was number 548 and I really doubt it shot up into top 10. Finn was 343 last year. I'm a total name nerd so I always look at this stuff. ;)

The 2010 data is not out yet but in 2009, Jacob was number one boy's name with Ethan in 2nd place. I wonder what their source is?

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

I would say use the name. I think it's adorable and it's certainly NOT as popular as they stated. headscratch.gif

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 12-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Fynn is at the top of my list of boy names too.  I also find it hard to believe that it's in the top 10 names this year, I think Social Security has more accurate info.  I would use it anyway.

People in our town tend to give their kids pretty unusual names.  Sometimes I feel like it would be more unusual to name the baby Robert or Christopher than Logan or Leif!  

Lauren82- thanks for the SS link! I'll be using that info for sure! 

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM

I definitely want to avoid the top 10. It sounds like your choice is not in that range though. 

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

Old 12-02-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren82 View Post

I'm not sure how entirely true that is. Social Security keeps track of the top 1000 baby names for each year. For 2009, Finnegan was number 548 and I really doubt it shot up into top 10. Finn was 343 last year. I'm a total name nerd so I always look at this stuff. ;)

The 2010 data is not out yet but in 2009, Jacob was number one boy's name with Ethan in 2nd place. I wonder what their source is?

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

I would say use the name. I think it's adorable and it's certainly NOT as popular as they stated. headscratch.gif

Yeah, I don't even look at top 100, I always use that site to avoid them. I wonder their source too. I just know I'll be kicking myself if it really has jumped that high this year.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DDC to say that anything in the top 150 or so gets thrown out in my book. My kids have names that were 348th and 425th for their birth years. They seldom encounter another child with their name but their names are not unheard or or unique...... we just went back on the family tree a couple of generations for their names.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 AM

They might just be trending.  Aparently "Asher" is the next big thing (as well as "Isla" which was our girl choice).  I don't like common names but every time I say Asher people have me repeat it so it isn't common where I'm living.  I'm guessing if it is the next big thing it will start on the coasts in the big cities and slowly move to the midwest.  So I have time!

I think naming is a heart thing so follow yours.  Also, there are alternatives with the nn Finn - Phinneas?  I don't think that will be as popular as Finnegan. I like both names though.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:47 AM

If you like the name don't worry about how popular it is. Half the time it might not be popular in your area, etc. My oldest is Jacob and I had no idea that was the most popular name for boys that year. This was before we had internet at home, etc. We named him for personal, religious beliefs and we love his name. And honestly it's not a popular name around here. I think we know maybe 4 boys named that? I'm not worried. My girls both have less popular names that we named them again for the same reason. We started talking about a name for the baby last night that is 80 on the list. I know one child named that in our area. We're not set on it but I say if you like a name just go for it!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:05 AM

Finn is popular in 2010 (I'm guessing) cause it's the name of one of the main "hunky" male characters on the show "Glee." So I'd imagine young new moms (think maybe twilight type fans?) are latching on to it. 

That said, I named my daughter a "top 20" name back in '08 and while I know a few other girls named Ella in my circle of acquaintances, she has no peers with that name currently (at age 3) and as she gets older, at this rate, I'd say she might have 2 or 3 at any given time in her life, and not necessarily in a "2 other girls in my class" type of way but in a "2 other girls in my whole life" type of way. Which is acceptable enough for me. 

Growing up, MY name was pretty unusual. I only knew 1 other girl my age named Leah and we weren't really friends or anything. I knew an adult woman with the same name. And as an adult myself, I have met 1 other Leah. So that's 3 in my lifetime. But guess what? "Jon & Kate + 8" came out however many years ago, and guess what name suddenly appears on the popular lists? Leah. So I'm starting to see babies and toddlers with the name. 

Don't discount the power of TV shows on the masses and their perception of names. A hunky guy that sings, or an adorable half asian baby girl can make somewhat obscure names suddenly very appealing. 

And also don't discount the lessening power of "top" names these days. I read an article (posted on here) the other day about how in the '50s every single class had a boy named James (in the top 5 names.) While today, you'd have to search six class rooms to find a Jacob (current top 5). So like I said with my daughter's name...yeah, it's popular right now. But popular is a lot more relative than it has been in the past. 

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 AM

For my entire school career my name was in the top 20 and I was the only Lauren in my school. I used to think my name was weird and when I found out that it was considered common, I was shocked.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 AM

I found this article really interesting - http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20101201/sc_livescience/babynamesrevealmoreaboutparentsthaneverbefore

"As Wattenberg points out, in the 1950s, the top 25 most common boy's names and the top 50 girl's names accounted for half of babies born. Today, however, those top names are given to fewer babies. In fact, you'd have to include the most popular 134 boy's names and the top 320 girl's names to cover half of all babies born every year. [Most Popular Baby Names in History]"

I named my son a name that was ranked 36 for his birth year and has been in the top 50 for the past 100 years. So it is clearly a popular name. He's only 7, but so far he hasn't met a single other child named Thomas.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 AM

DDCC - I don't think Finn is top 10 right now, but it looks like it could be soon. www.babynamewizard.com/voyager will show you a graph of the name's popularity over the last 130 years. Both Finn and Finnegan have shot up in the last decade.

Incidentally, I wouldn't give a kid a popular name - top 10 or even top 100 - but I'm completely biased by having a popular name that peaked around the time of my birth. orngtongue.gif

Old 12-03-2010, 09:26 AM

My name was somewhat popular but it never bothered me. My oldest was a top 50 name and my youngest had a top 2 name. I didn't end up caring though. I loved the name way too much. So, it's up to you. Sure Finn is gaining popularity but it doesn't seem too terribly common to me. I have never ever met or heard of a baby named Finn. I do know of a kid with my DS2 top 2 name but I am not close to anyone with that name. With my oldest, I don't know anyone else personally with his name. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 12-03-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post

I found this article really interesting - http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20101201/sc_livescience/babynamesrevealmoreaboutparentsthaneverbefore

"As Wattenberg points out, in the 1950s, the top 25 most common boy's names and the top 50 girl's names accounted for half of babies born. Today, however, those top names are given to fewer babies. In fact, you'd have to include the most popular 134 boy's names and the top 320 girl's names to cover half of all babies born every year. [Most Popular Baby Names in History]"

I named my son a name that was ranked 36 for his birth year and has been in the top 50 for the past 100 years. So it is clearly a popular name. He's only 7, but so far he hasn't met a single other child named Thomas.

that's the article I was referring to. thanks for linking!

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post

If you like the name don't worry about how popular it is. Half the time it might not be popular in your area, etc. My oldest is Jacob and I had no idea that was the most popular name for boys that year. This was before we had internet at home, etc. We named him for personal, religious beliefs and we love his name. And honestly it's not a popular name around here. I think we know maybe 4 boys named that? I'm not worried. My girls both have less popular names that we named them again for the same reason. We started talking about a name for the baby last night that is 80 on the list. I know one child named that in our area. We're not set on it but I say if you like a name just go for it!

I agree with this. Our top boys name is in the top 100(in the 80's to be exact), but we don't know a single person young or old named that around here. So, it must not be "that" common around here yet.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:03 AM

We had three names we liked for DD and found out after we named her that they were one of the top's for 2009 (Emma, Isabella and Sophia). For us it doesn't matter much because we usually use one of her middle names along with her first name when we talk to her. I grew up with a very common name. In high school I played volleyball and there were five of us from freshman to seniors and 3 of us had dark hair. Very confusing for the coaches :) My name is spelled very different (Brittnae) and I like that it makes me stand out from all of the other Brittany/Britney/Brittnay's out there. If you really like a name go with it, but maybe make something unique about the way you spell it.

Also, love the SS site!

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

Old 12-04-2010, 09:22 PM

I just don't get why you would stop considering a name simply because some list says it is popular. Name your child whatever your heart leads you to and have peace with that. To h* with the rest of the world.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 AM

I say if you like it, use it. I decided on Isabella for my first girl back in high school before it was popular and we decided this week to name our baby(found out it's a girl) Sophia.  I know I will have the 2 most popular girls names but my 4 year old is the only Isabella we know ironically.  Our sone is Leo which is less popular but I just pick names I love and don't worry about everybody else.

SAHM to my beautiful girl(9/06) and boy(3/09).
Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 PM

If you love the name, then use it.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:24 PM

As someone mentioned, just because a name was in the top 10 doesn't mean it is common in your area.  Jacob is supposedly the number one name, but I only know 1 boy under the age of 10 or so with that name. 

Personally I want to stay away from trendy, but "popular" doesn't really bother me.  My sons are William and Michael and neither one has had another boy in his class (or grade in the case of my older one) with the same name. 

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 PM

I was just talking to DD and telling her we had to run out to someone's house.  When she asked who, I told her it was Kaden's house (which happens to be her step brother's name and also a friend of hers in her Kindergarten, and also my cousin's name, and also the name of one of our babysitters + we know numerous others).  This was very confusing to her and she had no idea where we were going until we got there because she hasn't grasped the concept of last names yet.

I personally prefer unique names or names that aren't trendy or popular for their time.  My name was popular back in the 50's and in my entire life, I've only met one person with my name that wasn't 30 years older than me.  In  a way I liked that.  Common enough that people don't say "What??" when I tell them my name, but unique enough that I don't have to worry about hearing my name in public and wondering if it's me they are talking to.

I don't know what they have in the states, but here in Alberta, I can go to the government of Alberta website and look up the birth names for the past couple years just in our province.  It tells the most popular names and then also shows a list of ALL the names of babies born in that year in our province and how many kids with that particular name/spelling their were.  I like to look at it because some names that I've only just heard that I think are cute turn out to be super popular.  I have yet to see my DS's name make the list.  DD1 turns out her name became popular that year.  I had never heard it before - she doesn't have any friends with the same name but we have heard of people with children with the same name.  DD2 has a name that HERE is not popular but in other parts of the world it is.  In fact a cute thing is, I bought her a coloring book the other day that had a story line in it and one of the Princesses had her name (spelled differently) and we thought that was pretty cool.

All that said...I think if you really like the name you should go for it anyway...unless you already know 5 little boys in town with the same name.

Mom to 6 kiddo's (C 01/05, K 11/05, M 11/06, A 02/07, T 03/08, J 12/10) and happily married to best friend Big T.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:29 PM

I am a name nut too. I check every name choice at the SS website. Jacob has been a top boys name for years but I just read an article that Aidan was the number 1 boys name in America right now. I personally try to avoid the top 100 names so if my name choice was in the top 10 I wouldn't use it for sure. Of course name data changes. My dd name ( Keira ) is now number 55.... But I def try to avoid the top 10 for sure and hopefully the top 100. I dont want my kid to have 3 other kids in her class with the same name.  Just personal opinion. My Sil is naming her son joseph and both her and her dh have siblings named joseph! Just to show you how different people can be when it comes to names.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

Old 12-06-2010, 06:59 PM

my dd name is Keira too...I had no idea it was common.  Before we named her I had never heard the name and it wasn't until after that people started saying "Oh I know so so and with a daughter named Keira."  Oh well... you never know.  I think it's a beautiful name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmama2 View Post

I am a name nut too. I check every name choice at the SS website. Jacob has been a top boys name for years but I just read an article that Aidan was the number 1 boys name in America right now. I personally try to avoid the top 100 names so if my name choice was in the top 10 I wouldn't use it for sure. Of course name data changes. My dd name ( Keira ) is now number 55.... But I def try to avoid the top 10 for sure and hopefully the top 100. I dont want my kid to have 3 other kids in her class with the same name.  Just personal opinion. My Sil is naming her son joseph and both her and her dh have siblings named joseph! Just to show you how different people can be when it comes to names.

Mom to 6 kiddo's (C 01/05, K 11/05, M 11/06, A 02/07, T 03/08, J 12/10) and happily married to best friend Big T.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 PM

DDCC from June. :) We are thinking about this too and have checked out each of our name possibilities on the SSA website, which has fabulous info. For my family, we don't want any name in the top 100, but that's because we both have names in the 400-500s for the years we were born and always liked having names that weren't "weird" but weren't common. Even a top 100 name now doesn't mean there will be a lot of kids with the name, especially in your area.

Some numbers to demonstrate how diversified things have become since many of us were kids, as referenced by PPs:

In 1982, Michael was the top boys' name, with 3.6% of births, which means there were 67,000 Michaels born that year! For girls, Jennifer was top with 3.1% of births, which translates to 57,000 births. If you were born in the late 70s/ early 80s and always knew tons of Jennifers and Michaels (or were one), this is why-- those are pretty large numbers and held true through much of that time period.

OTOH, for 2009, Jacob was the top boys' name-- but it accounted for just less than 1% of births and there are only 21,000 of them. Isabella was the top girls' name, but again, only 1.1% of births and 22,000 of them. Right there your child's odds of being in the same class with other kids named the same go down, even if they have the most popular name of the year. And the effect continues down the list.

So Finn was #343 for 2009-- but that's only 907 kids with the name in the whole country! Even if it has rocketed up the charts (and names very rarely make THAT big of a leap in one year) to, say, #8, there would still be only 17,000 of them in the country and less than 1% of kids with the name.

BTW, I didn't find any reference to Finn in the Today Show article. Is it possible that they mentioned it as one of the top "up and coming" names based on the 2009 list? Sometimes name experts make lists like that based on how much a name jumps up the charts from year to year. So if it made a big jump from 2008 to 2009, it might be an up and comer.

So, OP: I definitely understand the concern about not wanting your kid to have a common name. For us, even if we love a name, we don't want our kids to find their names date them too much as they get older (because they peaked in popularity at the time they were born) or to feel like they are boring because they are always one of many and always have to be "Michael P." or "Jennifer B." or what have you. BUT that phenomenon has greatly diminished in the last 25 years, and in any case "Finn" doesn't seem to be that popular at all. So unless you have recently met 8 little Finns in your own town and think you are living at the heart of the Finn movement, I think you are safe!

And in any case, I imagine kids have different experiences of the "Jennifer B." phenomenon. For every kid who hated being "Jennifer B.," there's probably another who enjoyed having a name that wasn't "weird" and liked the experience of sharing it with others!

BTW, totally OT, but I think someone mentioned having an Isabella? Be sure you know that anyone named Isabella gets free admission at the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum in Boston, for life! Isabella Stewart Gardner was a bit eccentric. :)

Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 AM

The name that we are considering for this baby is Lillian because she would be named after my grandmother.  I know Lily is higher on the charts than Lillian but to us, it's a family name so that is what is important. 

Also, we have a somewhat unusual and harder to pronounce last name, so I don't want to burden my child with 2 names people can't say. 

Old 12-07-2010, 01:24 PM

I'm de-lurking to post here... been TOTALLY MIA since end of August- sorry mamas!! back now though. :-)

Anyway, just wanted to say my nephew's name is Finn. Finnian actually but nn Finn. He is the only one I know of personally but I have heard several others talking about the name as well recently. I think Glee has a big thing to do with it. My DS (19 months) is named Deklan and I had only ever heard one other child named that so we picked it because it was soooo original. Well there've been like 3 movies and a few tv series in the last year all with main characters named Deklan. Now I've heard 3 more moms who've chosen Deklan for their child's name.... and it's not even CLOSE to making any sort of list.. I think when it comes down to it, you just have to try and figure out how popular you think a name is going to be and then be ok with it either way. If a name is perfect enough, it usually won't stop you from using it. If it does stop you, then it's probably not a name you'll be happy saying for the rest of your life.

Oh and someone else mentioned that they wont ever use a popular name even if they really like it. I'm KIND OF similar to that... popularity is a huge deal breaker for me (as much as it possibly can be) because my husband's name is John and he HATED being one of 100 John's in his class. Also, I have a "trendy" name (Erica) and have hardly ever met many other Erica's throughout my life, EXCEPT in school... there were 3 of us in my grade and it was really frustrating to have a name like that, especially now when it kind of dates me more... Our solution: pick a unique first name and whatever middle name we want. With my daughter we LOVED the name Morgan but I knew sooo many little girls named Morgan so we didn't want to use it for a first name. Her name is Melanie Morgan. I've yet to hear of another Melanie. and I couldn't be happier with her name. Deklan is Deklan Graham. Not that Graham was super popular, but definitely moreso than Deklan. For this baby (I dont want to share the names for fear that all of you love it and use it! haha!) for a boy the middle name will be Joseph ( a name we both love and is also in the family) and for a girl the middle name will be after my Grandma.

Ok one more thing then I'll quit. haha. I've found that the best source for finding out if a name is going to be popular or not is to go to pregnancy forums like this and do a search. I LOVVVEEE the name Harper for a girl, but it was immediately nixed when I saw like 5 other moms on here within the same thread that were all thinking of using Harper. I think that's a good indication of popularity because that's how it starts and then grows from there. Anyway, not sure if any of this was helpful to anyone or not, but just wanted to share my 2cents. I'm hoping I can start posting here alot more now. Life has been crazy (and will continue to be I'm sure) but I'm finally into a routine now that we've moved and settled a bit so that I can have a LITTLE bit of freetime to post. :-) Hope everyone's having a great day!!!

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
Old 12-07-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote: my dd name is Keira too...I had no idea it was common.  Before we named her I had never heard the name and it wasn't until after that people started saying "Oh I know so so and with a daughter named Keira."  Oh well... you never know.  I think it's a beautiful name.

The same thing happened to me with DD1.  I named her Lily after my favorite flower.  I never knew anyone named Lily, but of course after she was born I met several little Lilys.  She was Lily B. in preschool since there was another Lily in her class, but now she's back to being the only one.  There are a few in her school, but not in her grade. 

I also wanted to point out that I looked on the SS website and found that in Oregon the number one name only had 300 something kids given that name in 2009, while in NJ the number one name had almost 1000 kids with that name!  If you live in a state that's not super populated, your odds of meeting one of those other 300 kids with the same name are pretty slim. 

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 AM

I could care less how popular a name is.  if I like it, I am going to use it.   I have loved the name Ava for as long as I can remember.  It is currently #5 (or #6-not sure which) on the SS website.  Doesn't matter to me.    So new baby girl will be named Ava. 

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
Old 12-11-2010, 03:01 PM

I'm one who will avoid using a name based on its popularity -- maybe it's because I narrowly avoided being a Jennifer in the early 80's and was always on soccer teams with 4 Jen/Jenny etcs....  Dh and I both have names that are unusual for our birth year but not "trendy" or "weird", and we've both enjoyed our names so that is why I think we're drawn to less popular names.  On the other hand, my cousins, who have very common names for their birth years, have named all their kids within the top 20 or so, and are totally fine with it... I think it's just a matter of personal taste. 

I love the name Sophia, but when I found out that it's so popular, it was dropped from consideration!  I was sad, but there are lots of names and it was more important to me that my child feel unique!  And we've managed to find 3 other girls names that we love, so obviously it's not a tragedy.  I do personally know 3 or 4 young Finn's -- which would make me believe that the name is growing in popularity -- my area seems to be on the cutting edge of naming trends (my funny, tiny, hippy town... but there you go!)  I'm personally battling with the boy name we chose moving up into the top 100... so you can see how important the "uniqueness" factor is to me.

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 12-12-2010, 03:06 PM

DDCC! It's important to remember that the social security rankings only tell you how popoular each variation is. In other words, if you add together Finnian, Finnegan, Phineas, Phinneas, Finn, Phinn, etc., the name is a lot more popular than it seems at first glance. It's also rising rather quickly, which is another factor. Maybe that's how the the TV show ended up ranking it in the top ten.  If you like it, I say go for it. It's popular because lots of folks agree with you that it's a great name! That said, it is one that I consider to be "trendy." I agree with a previous poster that, personally, I prefer to avoid trendy although common/traditional doesn't bother me. For my LO due in July, though I'm looking at names in the 400s and 500s that haven't had any sharp trends in the past 5 years.

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

User Tag List