Birth Plans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have any of you mamas done one yet? I did a draft, and it's 2.5 pages long! I know I have to cut it down or no one will read it, but I don't know what to cut out... :( Anyone have theirs done and want to share?

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 59 Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Where are you planning to give birth? I am having a home birth so I don't bother with writing a birth plan. Can you post your plan? Maybe then I could suggest a way to cut it back.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#3 of 59 Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 AM

I thought you were planning to UC? I'm guessing that plan changed. 

Yeah, you'll probably have to force them to read it no matter how short it is. I usually keep it to no more than 2 pages and keep it in bullet style form. Sort of like when you make a resume. I have found birth plan examples online and used those for the format. In both hospital births I've had, no one cared about my birth plan in the least, sadly. I hope you found a place that will actually care and listen to you. They are supposed to but many times they don't. Definitely go over the birth plan with your regular care provider and have a few copies on hand when you go to the hospital and make sure the plan is also in your file. Wish each person who takes care of you, say a different doctor has to assist to you since your doctor was out sick or whatever and with the nurses that change shifts and things, you will want to ask them to take a moment to go over your birth plan with you. You want to make sure everyone is aware of what you want for you and your babies. Since you have 2 babies to worry about, I'd have some support people at the hospital. Maybe one person to watch you and one for each baby or at least one for you and one for the babies if they hopefully keep them together. You may end up in a situation where it is hard for you to defend yourself or babies when you give birth. That is  why hospitals are so stressful to me. Too much protecting yourself from those who think they are helping you when they are not. 

I'll probably write up an emergency birth plan for after care and stuff in case I have to transfer to the hospital during my hopeful UC. They probably will ignore it but at least I will have done all I can. I might still get some prenatal care and have things on record so they treat me better if I have to transfer, but haven't decided and haven't been approved for medicaid yet. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#4 of 59 Old 12-06-2010, 12:54 PM

As a doula I always recommended that my clients write a birth plan that is less than a page long and written as a bulleted list. Key points I would suggest to them:

• Skip all the flowery text that some websites recommend you add. Chances are, the hospital staff will not be surprised by anything you request (well they might balk, but that's ok lol), and will know the type of birth you want simply from the lists, they don't need extra gab.
  • it's not necessary to add things that the hospital staff will have little or nothing to do with -- changing positions during labor, music, and so on. That's between you and your DP IMO.
  • Make two wish lists, one for birth and one for postpartum -- labor nurses don't care about those things

This is what the plans i helped my clients with might look like

Birth Wish List for Mama Smith

Partner: Papa Smith

Doula: Doula Jones

During Labor

• Intermittent monitoring
  • No AROM
  • The chance to use natural techniques to stimulate contractions before pitocin is used
  • etc
  • etc

During Birth

• Pushing with little guidance from care providers (let mama find her own rhythm, no counting please)
  • Would like to use alternate positions for pushing
  • Prefer to tear instead of episiotomy
  • Don't cut cord immediately unless baby needs assistance
  • Place baby on mom's chest immediately after birth
  • etc

After Birth

• No Vit K Shot
  • no prophylactic eye treatment (OR: delay treatment until family has had a chance to bond)
  • Enable breastfeeding as soon after birth as possible
  • etc

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#5 of 59 Old 12-06-2010, 04:04 PM

Mine is short and sweet:

1.  No eye ointment

2.  No circ

3.  No hepatitis B shot

4.  No formula

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#6 of 59 Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 PM

I think we found something like this on the internet. This is a copy of ours for the birth of our first son. The hospital was actually really receptive and followed through with it despite us forgetting some of the  smaller details such as no bright lights.  This time around we'll be making it much shorter.

Patient: Mama

Husband: Papa

Baby: Baby Name Last Name

Due date:

Scheduled to deliver at:

Patient of:Midwife Practice Name w/ telephone number

Pediatrician: Name, Practice and Phone Number

In our desire to have the best birth possible, we have done much research and put in a lot of thought to our preferences. We have listed these below and we would appreciate your help in attaining these goals. In the event of complications, we will fully cooperate after an informed discussion has taken place and adequate time for private consideration has been given us.

Labor

·      Number of vaginal exams to a minimum.

·      No IV.

·      Prefer not to have students, residents etc. in the room.

·      I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the labor.

·      I would like to use water relief in a shower or Jacuzzi.

·      If the labor is a prolonged length, I would like to continue naturally if progress is being made. I want to be allowed to progress free of stringent time limits.

·      No directed pushing please.

Monitoring

·      Doppler

Labor Augmentation/Induction

·      No artificial rupturing of the amniotic membrane.

·      No pitocin - I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation).

Anesthesia/Pain Medication

·      Natural birth.

·      I realize that many pain medications exist I'll ask for them if I need them.

Episiotomy

·      No episiotomy - I would rather tear.

Delivery

·      Choice of positions for pushing, no stirrups, please.

·      Please place the baby on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

·      Husband to help “catch” the baby

·      No bright lights- the nurse and midwife turned off the lights, but then put spotlights to be able to see. It really defeated the purpose so we won't be requesting that this time around.

Cesarean

·      I would like my husband, Papa Name, present at all times if I require a Cesarean delivery.

·      If the baby is not in distress, he should be given to my husband, Papa Name, immediately after birth.

·      I would like to breastfeed my baby immediately after delivery.

Immediately After Delivery

·               No antibiotic eye ointment is to be administered to our baby.

·               No Vitamin K injection is to be administered to our baby.

·               Please let the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is cut.

·      While I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made, I would like to hold the baby and breastfeed.

·               Please do not wash off the vernix.

·               No pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.

·               I would like to have the baby evaluated and bathed in my presence.

·      If the baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband, Papa Name, will accompany the baby at all times.

·               I would prefer to hold the baby rather than have (him/her) placed under heat lamps.

Postpartum

·      Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from the baby.

·      I would like to have the baby 'room in' and be with me at all times.

Breastfeeding

·      Yes

·      No bottles to be given (including glucose water or plain water) to the baby.

·      No pacifiers.

·      Breastfeed on demand with the baby, not on a schedule.

Circumcision

·      No circumcision.

#7 of 59 Old 12-06-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input ladies. I'm hoping to U/C at a nice hotel suite near the hospital, but sometimes things don't work the way you want them to, and I want to be prepared (especially if there's some medical complication prior to the birth that will necessitate me going to the hospital right away)

I like the suggestion about stuff for the L&D nurses and then stuff for the Aftercare nurses.

I'm very pushy and insistent with doing things the way I want them, and I'm not afraid to go AMA if I get any of that it's "against hospital policy" stuff, or "you're endangering your babies" stuff. I can't see myself  letting these nurses run all over me and telling me what to do. I guess maybe since I've BTDT there's really nothing they can say that will scare me into acquiescence.  And I've been forewarned about refusing things or taking baby out without being released by pediatrician (read: CPS), but here's the good news: My pediatrician, who is super super laissez faire is behind me all the way, has agreed to come to the hospital immediately (provided I don't have them out of the hospital, in which case he'll see them when I bring them in), and will issue release papers right away (as long as there's no pre-term issues) He told me today he thinks it's absolutely asinine to keep babies in the hospital unless it's a true medical emergency, because of all the stuff they will pick up- this is why he's very pro-HB and works mostly with the patients of midwives and birth centers. So they can threaten CPS on me all they want :) Surprisingly, even though he's pretty non-intervention, the hospital staff loves him, so they won't question him releasing a jaundiced baby ("That's what the sun's for!") or anything that's not a really big deal. 

I will post my draft birth plan tomorrow (It's on my work laptop and I'm at home right now), and let you ladies give me some constructive criticism :D

dayiscoming2006 and nerdymom like this.

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#8 of 59 Old 12-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Nanette I was wondering why you were doing U/C at a hotel instead of your home. Is your home very far from the hospital? The reason I ask is, part of my reasoning for homebirth is that it is a cleaner environment (no weird hospital born infection things) but from my experience at hotels (I travel a lot for work and stay in pretty upscale places) is that all hotels are pretty filthy. Can someone clean your room before hand, and I don't mean the hotel staff, but someone who really cares about what you or the babes might be exposed to in there?

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#9 of 59 Old 12-09-2010, 03:26 PM

hmm should i write one out for my dh to read and sign? Oh man a lot the things i didn't want he wanted me to do and i did, oh well. I have suggested having a doula and he says no he can handle it, but I am unsure of this, because he wanted my membranes ruptured, and the pitocin and epidural, because i wasn't progressing with ds last time. I think I may need to chat with him about this.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#10 of 59 Old 12-10-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post

hmm should i write one out for my dh to read and sign? Oh man a lot the things i didn't want he wanted me to do and i did, oh well. I have suggested having a doula and he says no he can handle it, but I am unsure of this, because he wanted my membranes ruptured, and the pitocin and epidural, because i wasn't progressing with ds last time. I think I may need to chat with him about this.

Your dh doesn't sound very supportive. He might think he has your best interests in mind but he is obviously misinformed. I would ask if he would be willing to wait outside of the delivery room this time and get some other close friend or family member for support, if that's not possible - maybe a doula. My hubby is kind of ignorant on some things - like birthing positions but he'll let me do my own thing. But, once I'm in the hospital(something I'll avoid this time) he has a tendency to listen to the doctors rather than me, which is really scary for me. - So, definitely, if you aren't comfortable with him in the delivery room - ask him politely to stay in a waiting area until baby is born. If he won't listen to that - and you just want to keep the peace you could get a doula or stronger family member/ friend to be in the room with you still to help support the decisions you want. I don't believe your hubby has any real say in what happen to you, but I'm not sure about how things work with baby?

Wanted to add that I agree with the idea of coming up with a birth plan and getting him to sign it if you can. But, if you do that, you may need him to sign it in front of a notary - sure it seems extreme but it might only count if you did that. Maybe someone else knows more about that?

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#11 of 59 Old 12-10-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Quote:

Your dh doesn't sound very supportive. He might think he has your best interests in mind but he is obviously misinformed. I would ask if he would be willing to wait outside of the delivery room this time and get some other close friend or family member for support, if that's not possible - maybe a doula. My hubby is kind of ignorant on some things - like birthing positions but he'll let me do my own thing. But, once I'm in the hospital(something I'll avoid this time) he has a tendency to listen to the doctors rather than me, which is really scary for me. - So, definitely, if you aren't comfortable with him in the delivery room - ask him politely to stay in a waiting area until baby is born. If he won't listen to that - and you just want to keep the peace you could get a doula or stronger family member/ friend to be in the room with you still to help support the decisions you want. I don't believe your hubby has any real say in what happen to you, but I'm not sure about how things work with baby?

Wanted to add that I agree with the idea of coming up with a birth plan and getting him to sign it if you can. But, if you do that, you may need him to sign it in front of a notary - sure it seems extreme but it might only count if you did that. Maybe someone else knows more about that?

i think his main problem was 1) he didn't like to see me in pain (i had horrible back labor and never even felt a contraction in my uterus, only in my back) and 2) he was scared, 3) he was getting impatient that i wasn't progressing, but i think he is a bit more prepared, i don't want to kick him out of the delivery room, there really is no one else that i feel would support me during this time, during my ds's labor, my sisters house caught on fire that night and she decided she would stay at the hospital, so she slept in my room  while i was attempting a natural labor, um, talk about awkward. Of course once it was morning she left, but seriously? I was going at it without an epidural at that point. My grandma might be a bit helpful, but then i am unsure of who will take care of ds, so I don't know...I honestly just wish i could go have the baby in a cave somewhere alone, hahaha, rather than having a room full of people stare at me, but guess that is the trade off for my decision to birth in a hospital.

My ultimate decision, is to avoid the hospital as long as possible, to avoid issues of intervention. I know last time, above grandma had me convinced i was about to birth so i went to the hospital way to early, this time i am not going until as late as i feel like it, almost to the point where i joke with dh that i am not going until i can see the head, but i am kidding, i figure, the less time in the hospital the more likely i am going to have an easier labor without interventions

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#12 of 59 Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimomma View Post

Nanette I was wondering why you were doing U/C at a hotel instead of your home. Is your home very far from the hospital? The reason I ask is, part of my reasoning for homebirth is that it is a cleaner environment (no weird hospital born infection things) but from my experience at hotels (I travel a lot for work and stay in pretty upscale places) is that all hotels are pretty filthy. Can someone clean your room before hand, and I don't mean the hotel staff, but someone who really cares about what you or the babes might be exposed to in there?

I'm totally with you on the nastiness of the hotel. I travel frequently for conferences too :) The first thing I do at any hotel room I stay in is change the sheets and comforters, I ALWAYS travel with my own set. DH thinks I'm a little crazy about that stuff, but uck, who knows what's on those sheets.... Yes, unfortunately I live an hour and 30 minutes from the nearest hospital, 1 hour and 45 from my PREFERRED hospital, and I've never even done a h/b before, much less a u/c. My doula has been through many births at the birth center, but obviously she's not a midwife. Even though I've read the books, and DH has read the books, I'm still fairly nervous about the whole thing, and my nerves would probably interfere with labor if I added the additional stress of knowing I was that far away from the hospital. KWIM? My mom and I are both germ freaks though, so I know if I can't clean for some reason, she'll make sure it gets done :)

And here's my proposed birth plan:

BIRTH PLAN

NO ABX/NO ANESTHESIA/NATURAL LABOR
                    NO CIRC/NO VAX

FOR THE DOC (I don't think this part will be on my hospital birth plan, but rather stuff I go over with my OB)      

As long as the babies and I are healthy, I would like to have no time restrictions on the length of my pregnancy, and prefer to go into labor naturally rather than be induced.

I would like to discuss laboring at home as long as possible.

I trust that medical staff will seek out my opinion concerning all of the issues directly affecting my birth before deviating from my plan.

Please do not strip my membranes unless I specifically request that this be done.

I prefer to have only one vaginal exam on or around my due date.    

For the L&D nurses:

I request that my partner stay with me AT ALL TIMES unless I direct otherwise, or he is required to accompany babies somewhere.

Please discuss all procedures, no matter how routine they are, with us, before doing them.

I request that my partner, my mother, and my doula be the only visitors allowed admittance to my room during labor. I request that medical staff be kept to an absolute minimum (no residents or students please)

Despite my GBS status, I request that no antibiotics be administered while I am in labor unless one or more of the following occurs:
1) I get a fever during labor.
2) Labor lasts longer than 10 hours.
3) Babies are pre-term.
Please give me the waiver to sign upon admittance.

Whatever my GBS status, I DO request a hibiclens/chlorhexidine wash (or the equivalent) be administered at the time I go into labor or at rupture of membranes, whichever occurs first (If it has not already been administered)

I request that I have no IV or port of any kind unless a C-section is required.

I request that I have no blood pressure cuff on my arm during labor.

Please offer pain medications ONLY if I ask for them, as I am planning to deliver without the use of pain management medications (including epidurals).

I request that I be able to eat and drink freely during labor.

I prefer that fetal heart tones be monitored intermittently with an external monitor or Doppler.

I request that I be able to move into any position and walk as needed during labor.

I request that induction not be discussed until at least12 hours into labor.

In the event induction is necessary, I request that I be allowed to try natural induction techniques (breast stimulation, castor oil, walking, sexual intercourse...etc.) prior to medical induction.

If medical induction becomes necessary then I prefer to try stripping the membranes or pitocin in lieu of rupturing membranes.

I would like no internal vaginal exams (THIS INCLUDES DILATION CHECKS) during my labor until I have an urge to push.    

As long as the baby and I are healthy, I prefer to have no time limits on pushing.

I do not want an episiotomy administered. If necessary to prevent tearing I would like a perineal massage to be administered.        

I do not want to be told how or when to push.

I would like the freedom to push and deliver my babies in any position I like.

I would prefer for the placenta to be born spontaneously without the use of pitocin, and/or controlled traction on the umbilical cord.

AT BIRTH:

Once first baby is born, I would like her to be placed skin-to-skin on my abdomen with a warm blanket over her. Once I have had a few minutes with her, I would like to nurse her to begin contractions for the second baby.

Once second baby is born, I would like him to be placed skin-to-skin on my abdomen with a warm blanket over him. We would not like babies to be removed from the room.

Unless there is a medical emergency, please allow the umbilical cords to stop pulsating before they are clamped and cut. Dad WOULD LIKE to cut the cords.

AFTERCARE NURSES

We would prefer that babies not leave their mother unless there is a medical emergency. If the babies must leave the room for evaluation or medical treatment, Mom or Dad will accompany the babies.    

We would like to waive the administration of eye antibiotics, and will sign a waiver if needed.

We would like ONLY the orally administered vitamin K to be given to our babies. If it is not available, do NOT administer vitamin K to our babies.

We would like to waive the administration of the Hep B vaccination.

We decline routine PKU testing at the hospital and have made other arrangements for this procedure at a later date this week.        

Because the babies regular pediatrician will attend them at the hospital, we prefer that the on-call pediatrician not attend them.

My babies are to be exclusively breastfed. Please do not offer my babies formula, pacifiers, artificial nipples or sugar water without my consent.

I would like to see a lactation consultant as soon as possible for further recommendations and guidance.

We are anticipating the arrival of a boy and do NOT plan to circumcise.

Am I forgetting anything? Is this too long? Is there stuff that they'll already know about on here?

Thanks for reviewing ladies!

#13 of 59 Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Quote:

i think his main problem was 1) he didn't like to see me in pain (i had horrible back labor and never even felt a contraction in my uterus, only in my back) and 2) he was scared, 3) he was getting impatient that i wasn't progressing, but i think he is a bit more prepared, i don't want to kick him out of the delivery room, there really is no one else that i feel would support me during this time, during my ds's labor, my sisters house caught on fire that night and she decided she would stay at the hospital, so she slept in my room  while i was attempting a natural labor, um, talk about awkward. Of course once it was morning she left, but seriously? I was going at it without an epidural at that point. My grandma might be a bit helpful, but then i am unsure of who will take care of ds, so I don't know...I honestly just wish i could go have the baby in a cave somewhere alone, hahaha, rather than having a room full of people stare at me, but guess that is the trade off for my decision to birth in a hospital.

I understand. I can't even make myself birth in a hospital anymore unless I feel something is just reallllllly wrong that I need to be there. I am way too afraid of what the doctors and nurses might do. I lost all faith in them after my last two birthing experiences. I don't trust hubby completely either but at least I'm grateful he won't force me to go to a hospital or anything and is supportive of me giving birth at home if that's what I want.That much I appreciate.

#14 of 59 Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Just a few thoughts...  in purple

Another thought.. and please don't be mad :) ... but because you've got twins, I think making a plan for a c-section birth would be a good idea. C-sections are pretty common for twins even with moms who start out laboring intending a vaginal birth (in my part of the country anyway). That way, just in case one is necessary for one or both babies, you're prepared. You can keep it on a separate page and only bring it out in the event you need it.

Quote:
And here's my proposed birth plan:

BIRTH PLAN

NO ABX/NO ANESTHESIA/NATURAL LABOR
                    NO CIRC/NO VAX

FOR THE DOC (I don't think this part will be on my hospital birth plan, but rather stuff I go over with my OB)    good... this is definitely talk with doc stuff, and fortunately, a lot of it is under your control -- they cannot force you into the hospital in early labor :D 

As long as the babies and I are healthy, I would like to have no time restrictions on the length of my pregnancy, and prefer to go into labor naturally rather than be induced.

I would like to discuss laboring at home as long as possible.

I trust that medical staff will seek out my opinion concerning all of the issues directly affecting my birth before deviating from my plan.

Please do not strip my membranes unless I specifically request that this be done.

I prefer to have only one vaginal exam on or around my due date.    

For the L&D nurses:

I request that my partner stay with me AT ALL TIMES unless I direct otherwise, or he is required to accompany babies somewhere. Probably not necessary to include. Unless your hospital is really old-school, the only time they might ask him to leave is if you were to get an epidural or during prep for a c-section if one were necessary.

Please discuss all procedures, no matter how routine they are, with us, before doing them.

I request that my partner, my mother, and my doula be the only visitors allowed admittance to my room during labor. I request that medical staff be kept to an absolute minimum (no residents or students please) The first part is easy enough to specify when you get there, that you want no other visitors. The second part would be good on the plan. 

Despite my GBS status, I request that no antibiotics be administered while I am in labor unless one or more of the following occurs:
1) I get a fever during labor.
2) Labor lasts longer than 10 hours.
3) Babies are pre-term.
Please give me the waiver to sign upon admittance. This is something you could ask for upon arrival as well. If you don't have an IV, they won't be able to administer the abx without your consent anyway :)

Whatever my GBS status, I DO request a hibiclens/chlorhexidine wash (or the equivalent) be administered at the time I go into labor or at rupture of membranes, whichever occurs first (If it has not already been administered)

I request that I have no IV or port of any kind unless a C-section is required.

I request that I have no blood pressure cuff on my arm during labor. Most of the hospitals I've been in as a doula do not leave the cuff on a mom unless she's in bed with an epidural.. your hospital could be different

Please offer pain medications ONLY if I ask for them, as I am planning to deliver without the use of pain management medications (including epidurals). I'd leave this part out.

I request that I be able to eat and drink freely during labor. Might be something to discuss with doc ahead of time. That way if s/he agrees, you can have a signed note from him to back you up.

I prefer that fetal heart tones be monitored intermittently with an external monitor or Doppler.

I request that I be able to move into any position and walk as needed during labor. probably doesn't need to be included. L&D nurses in my experience are fine with moms being up and moving as long as there's no high risk condition like pre-eclampsia.

I request that induction not be discussed until at least12 hours into labor. check with your doctor and see what the general practice is for when they begin talking about enhancing labor with pit. It might not be for about that long. Also, if you include this, I think usually they would call it enhancement of labor and not induction?? check on that. 

In the event induction is necessary, I request that I be allowed to try natural induction techniques (breast stimulation, castor oil, walking, sexual intercourse...etc.) prior to medical induction.  talk to your doc about this, so s/he is familiar with your desires. Find out under what conditions he would push for pitocin. 

If medical induction becomes necessary then I prefer to try stripping the membranes or pitocin in lieu of rupturing membranes. stripping membranes is usually done prior to the onset of labor at your dr's office, not after you are at the hospital. check with your dr if it's something that might be done at the hospital to enhance labor.

I would like no internal vaginal exams (THIS INCLUDES DILATION CHECKS) during my labor until I have an urge to push.    

As long as the baby and I are healthy, I prefer to have no time limits on pushing.

I do not want an episiotomy administered. If necessary to prevent tearing I would like a perineal massage to be administered.        

I do not want to be told how or when to push.

I would like the freedom to push and deliver my babies in any position I like. Another one to talk over with your doc to see what s/he's comfortable with, maybe you can come to an agreement on certain positions he will and won't do for the birth itself, so you are prepared ahead of time.

I would prefer for the placenta to be born spontaneously without the use of pitocin, and/or controlled traction on the umbilical cord.

AT BIRTH:

Once first baby is born, I would like her to be placed skin-to-skin on my abdomen with a warm blanket over her. Once I have had a few minutes with her, I would like to nurse her to begin contractions for the second baby.

Once second baby is born, I would like him to be placed skin-to-skin on my abdomen with a warm blanket over him. We would not like babies to be removed from the room.

Unless there is a medical emergency, please allow the umbilical cords to stop pulsating before they are clamped and cut. Dad WOULD LIKE to cut the cords.

AFTERCARE NURSES

We would prefer that babies not leave their mother unless there is a medical emergency. If the babies must leave the room for evaluation or medical treatment, Mom or Dad will accompany the babies.    

We would like to waive the administration of eye antibiotics, and will sign a waiver if needed. Good to include this, but make sure that your partner or doula (if you have one) is watching like a hawk if they take babies to the warmer. A lot of times, the nurses just do the eye treatment without thinking about it, it's so much a part of their routine.

We would like ONLY the orally administered vitamin K to be given to our babies. If it is not available, do NOT administer vitamin K to our babies.

We would like to waive the administration of the Hep B vaccination. This is something you should have to sign a consent for, at least in my state. check with your doc or the hospital maternity unit so you know what to expect.

We decline routine PKU testing at the hospital and have made other arrangements for this procedure at a later date this week.        

Because the babies regular pediatrician will attend them at the hospital, we prefer that the on-call pediatrician not attend them. 

My babies are to be exclusively breastfed. Please do not offer my babies formula, pacifiers, artificial nipples or sugar water without my consent.

I would like to see a lactation consultant as soon as possible for further recommendations and guidance.

We are anticipating the arrival of a boy and do NOT plan to circumcise.

Am I forgetting anything? Is this too long? Is there stuff that they'll already know about on here?

Thanks for reviewing ladies!

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#15 of 59 Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 PM

Nanette, will this be your first birth? First labors often last longer than ten hours, though, obviously, your mileage may vary. Accepting antibiotics in labor for Group B strep may prevent unneeded days of hospitalization for "observation" later--if you are GBS positive, they will be watching your babies like hawks. You may want to talk it over with your care provider.

Another thing is that many women vomit quite a bit in labor--especially if they try to drink or especially eat. Avoiding dehydration through the use of an IV can be a way to save your strength, especially if nausea and vomiting become an issue for you as you progress in labor.

I have been very fortunate, in that the two hospitals I delivered in were very natural-friendly. My babies automatically roomed-in, were not given any artificial nipples, my husband cut their cords, etc. In the first case, I was GBS negative, but the IV really gave me the strength to keep going through 30+ hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing. In the second, I was GBS positive, and nurses were very relieved to hear that I'd had both doses of ABX, when my son had a mild breathing issue on his first night (It turned out, he'd swallowed too much amniotic fluid and had an overly full tummy!)

You may feel great during your labor, or hungry, or what have you. But if you can't keep anything down, do consider the IV--mine was pretty painless and did not prevent me from using the bathroom, the shower, the birth ball, or anything else.

#16 of 59 Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Girl View Post

You may feel great during your labor, or hungry, or what have you. But if you can't keep anything down, do consider the IV--mine was pretty painless and did not prevent me from using the bathroom, the shower, the birth ball, or anything else.

Bird Girl, can you elaborate on the IV? I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm looking for stories of what it's actually like to have one in. Were you actually attached to the pole, or did you have a heplock/sodium well for most of your labor?

My OB is pretty natural birth friendly and otherwise hands off (I've heard from doulas who have worked with her) but is fairly insistent on an IV.

TIA!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#17 of 59 Old 12-12-2010, 01:57 PM

I've always had a saline lock, so not hooked up to an IV pole (except for a pitocin induction).

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#18 of 59 Old 12-12-2010, 04:05 PM

I  had a wonderful natural birth experience with DD.  This time, with twins, I don't have many requests during labor.  Most of my issues are with newborn care.  Here's my birth plan so far.  I would LOVE any comments!

Labor

• I prefer to have all procedures, no matter how routine, discussed with me prior to administration.
  • Minimal internal exams.

Birth

Assuming the babies are healthy;

• Dimmed lights
  • Pushing with little guidance (I will find my own rhythm, no counting please)
  • Delay cord clamping/cutting until the cord has stopped pulsating.
  • Husband would like to cut the cord
  • Place babies on mom's chest immediately after birth
  • We want to take both placentas home with us.  Please ensure that they are placed in the provided containers which will be labeled to identify  baby A or baby B.
  • If baby B is doing well we would like to wait for him to be born vaginally in his own time. 
  • If baby B is breech we would like to request external version
  • If baby B is not able to be turned vertex we would like to attempt breech delivery
  • If baby B requires surgical delivery and baby A’s health permits we would like baby A to stay with my mother

Newborn Care

• NO bath or removal of the vernix; we will give babies their first bath
  • Babies will be exclusively breastfed.  No formula, water/sugar water, or artificial nipples
  • NO Vitamin K shot if our babies are full term and a healthy weight
  • NO prophylactic eye ointment
  • NO Hepatitis B vaccination
  • NO Circumcision or retraction of the foreskin
  • We wish to be present for all exams/procedures.  If the babies can not stay with Mom, Dad will accompany babies.
  • We will be rooming in with both babies.  We would like the twins in the same bassinet.

In Case of Emergency

Should I require a Cesarean Section:

• I would like my husband to be present at all times during the c-section
  • I would like to have the curtain lowered for the birth of my babies
  • I would like my babies handed to my husband if their health allows
  • I would like to have contact with the babies as soon as it is possible in the delivery room.
  • I prefer to have a hand free to touch the baby.
  • If the babies are healthy, I would like to hold my baby and nurse immediately in recovery.

Should one or both babies require time in the nursery/NICU;

• We would like our twins to co-bed
  • We still wish to breastfeed exclusively.  Please do not administer formula supplementation without discussing it with us.
  • We want to begin kangaroo care as soon as possible
  • We would like to discuss the need for Vitamin K with the pediatrician/neonatologist.
  • We still want NO eye ointment, vaccination, or circumcision

Also, I'll be making little signs for each baby to pin to their blanket/bassinet.  I think that helps ensure NO eye goop, vit K, etc.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#19 of 59 Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroMama View Post

·      No bright lights- the nurse and midwife turned off the lights, but then put spotlights to be able to see. It really defeated the purpose so we won't be requesting that this time around.

Are you delivering in the same place?  My birth center had a spotlight in the ceiling but it didn't brighten the room up at all because it was so focused "down there" and was quite small.  The room was still nicely dim and calm.  I caught her and brought her to my chest which is when she first opened her eyes.  I guess the light would be bad if she opened her eyes before the shoulders were born but I don't think that is common.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#20 of 59 Old 12-12-2010, 04:50 PM

Here is ours from last time. I will change some of it and add a section on if a c/s is needed. Bullet points are good, maybe you could just reduce yours to shorter statements? We had one page for the birth center birth plan and one for the hospital. This time we're in a hospital.

_____

My husband & I have planned & prepared for a natural childbirth & have created the following plan so that you may understand our preferences. We ask that it not be assumed that anything is routine; consult us before any procedure, test, or examination.We understand that certain circumstances & emergencies may prevent our plan from being followed, but hope that you will assist us in making this the experience we wish for. In the event of an emergency, we would like to be aware & informed of all of our options. Thank you for being a part of this wonderful occasion in our lives!

Our Desires
•I would like to be encouraged to walk around, move, & change position throughout labor & birth.
•I would like to eat & drink freely.
•I would like to use the shower or tub as desired for labor.
•I would like vaginal exams to be kept to a minimum.
•I would like to have a quiet environment with dim lights

•I would prefer natural methods for strengthening labor, such as walking or nipple stimulation.

•I would like to push instinctively rather than be coached.
•I would like to have support of the perineum to avoid tearing.
•My husband and I would like to discover the sex ourselves
•My preferences for immediately after the birth are

-          to have immediate skin-to-skin contact between my baby & me

-          to have my baby placed on my chest with breastfeeding encouraged

-          to be left undisturbed for 1 hour following birth, newborn procedures performed afterward.

•I would like clamping & cutting of the umbilical cord to be delayed until blood stops pulsing. If resuscitation is necessary, please do so with the cord uncut. I would like my husband to cut the cord.

•I would like to deliver the placenta spontaneously. Please do not pull on the cord.

•I would like all newborn procedures to be performed in our presence, preferably bedside. In case of an emergency with our baby I would prefer that my husband or I accompany our baby at all times.
•I prefer that my husband & I give our baby his first bath, as well as all diaper & clothing changes.
•I would like to have the baby room-in with me at all times & wish to exclusively breastfeed.  Please conduct all newborn exams in our room.

What We Wish to Avoid
•Please do not offer pain medication. I am aware that many options exist & will ask for them if I need them.
I do not wish to have

-          an IV

-          continuous fetal monitoring

-          artificial rupturing of membranes without my consent

-          an episiotomyunless needed in the event of an emergency

•Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a cesarean section. In the event of an emergency, I would like to be fully informed & part of the decision-making process. I prefer a double closure during repair as we would like more children via VBAC. I would like my husband present, & if the baby is not in distress, I would like the baby to be given to him immediately after birth.
•I plan to breastfeed our baby & would like to do so immediately after birth, please do not offer a pacifier or any bottles at any time during our stay, including formula & glucose water.
•We do not consentto the following:

-          CIRCUMCISION

-          Vitamin K shot

-          Hepatitis B vaccine

-          erythromycin treatment in the eyes

Birth Plan for The Midwife Center

Alicia & Ryan

We understand that certain circumstances & emergencies may prevent our plan from being followed, but hope that you will assist us in making this the experience we wish for. In the event of an emergency, we would like to be aware & informed of all of our options. We are very much looking forward to giving birth at The Midwife Center.  Thank you.

Our Preferences

•I would like vaginal exams to be kept to a minimum.
•I would like to have a quiet environment with dim lights for labor & birth.

•I would like to use a variety of positions to labor & give birth and are open to suggestions

•I would like to push on all fours if baby appears stuck

•I would like to push instinctively rather than be coached.
•I would like to have support of the perineum to avoid tearing.

•I would like my husband to catch the baby if circumstances permit

• My husband and I would like to discover the sex ourselves

•I would like clamping & cutting of the umbilical cord to be delayed until blood stops pulsing.
•I would like my husband to cut the cord.
•I would like to deliver the placenta spontaneously without any cord traction unless placenta is not coming out on its own with nursing or nipple stimulation.

•I prefer that my husband & I give our baby his first bath, as well as all diaper & clothing changes.

•We wish to refuse the routine eye ointment & vitamin K shot & will sign the necessary paperwork.

We anticipate two visitors, one being our cousin, and the other being Ryan’s mom, whom we have asked to visit after we have rested a couple of hours.

Since this is our first birth, there are many things we don’t know quite yet regarding what I may like or not like when actually in labor. We’re open to suggestions.  We have practiced the Bradley method of childbirth, and I am open to squatting and other labor and pushing positions. I have had a sore pubic bone area for some time and squatting seems to aggravate it, but I would like to try squatting if baby needs help moving down.

It seems so far that I like to be massaged (not rubbed) all over to ease tension, and for him to remind me to keep my face and jaw loose. Jiggling my thighs and buttocks also helps loosen me up.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#21 of 59 Old 12-12-2010, 06:56 PM

For my hospital birth I had a heplock/hepwell, where they put the needle in but cap it off instead of hook you to a wire. That gives them fast access if they need it. It was in the back of my hand, and for the most part was all right, but it did get in my way a little and was somewhat painful. I think if it could have been elsewhere (forearm?) it wuold have been better.

Curious who your OB is... you're in columbus oh right (if not ignore me lol)? You can PM me if you don't want to post it. I used to be a doula so I love hearing about natural-friendly OBs in the area :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm looking for stories of what it's actually like to have one in. Were you actually attached to the pole, or did you have a heplock/sodium well for most of your labor?

My OB is pretty natural birth friendly and otherwise hands off (I've heard from doulas who have worked with her) but is fairly insistent on an IV.

TIA!

#22 of 59 Old 12-13-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoose View Post

For my hospital birth I had a heplock/hepwell, where they put the needle in but cap it off instead of hook you to a wire. That gives them fast access if they need it. It was in the back of my hand, and for the most part was all right, but it did get in my way a little and was somewhat painful. I think if it could have been elsewhere (forearm?) it wuold have been better.

Curious who your OB is... you're in columbus oh right (if not ignore me lol)? You can PM me if you don't want to post it. I used to be a doula so I love hearing about natural-friendly OBs in the area :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm looking for stories of what it's actually like to have one in. Were you actually attached to the pole, or did you have a heplock/sodium well for most of your labor?

TIA!

I also just had the heplock. Does your OB only request the heplock or must you be attached to the IV?

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#23 of 59 Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 AM

I need to clarify that with her. She referred to it as an IV but it seems totally bizarre to want me attached to a pole the whole time. She said something like, "sometimes I've had trouble getting access when I needed it with just the needle in there," but I got the feeling she was open to just a heplock/hepwell. The potential doula I talked to said she thought this doctor's patients had just had the well before. I would not be wild about that, but would be okay with it. A pole? Not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannybanany View Post

I also just had the heplock. Does your OB only request the heplock or must you be attached to the IV?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#24 of 59 Old 12-13-2010, 08:53 AM

I am going to stalk Nanette from here on out... you are already my hero, woman!!! thumb.gif Go mama, go!!!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#25 of 59 Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoose View Post

Just a few thoughts...  in purple

Another thought.. and please don't be mad :) ... but because you've got twins, I think making a plan for a c-section birth would be a good idea. C-sections are pretty common for twins even with moms who start out laboring intending a vaginal birth (in my part of the country anyway). That way, just in case one is necessary for one or both babies, you're prepared. You can keep it on a separate page and only bring it out in the event you need it.

Thanks so much for your suggestions mama! I'm going to amend those parts. I know I have to do a C-section plan, but I'm dreading it, so thus have been avoiding it. I WILL have it done prior to going in though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Girl View Post

Nanette, will this be your first birth? First labors often last longer than ten hours, though, obviously, your mileage may vary. Accepting antibiotics in labor for Group B strep may prevent unneeded days of hospitalization for "observation" later--if you are GBS positive, they will be watching your babies like hawks. You may want to talk it over with your care provider.

Another thing is that many women vomit quite a bit in labor--especially if they try to drink or especially eat. Avoiding dehydration through the use of an IV can be a way to save your strength, especially if nausea and vomiting become an issue for you as you progress in labor.

I have been very fortunate, in that the two hospitals I delivered in were very natural-friendly. My babies automatically roomed-in, were not given any artificial nipples, my husband cut their cords, etc. In the first case, I was GBS negative, but the IV really gave me the strength to keep going through 30+ hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing. In the second, I was GBS positive, and nurses were very relieved to hear that I'd had both doses of ABX, when my son had a mild breathing issue on his first night (It turned out, he'd swallowed too much amniotic fluid and had an overly full tummy!)

Not my first birth no, this will be my second and third births. My son was born 6 hours from the time I was induced, so I have no idea what a natural labor will be like for me as far as length? As for the ABX thing, our select-vax/anti-antibiotic pediatrician is coming to see the babies in the hospital!!! I was so psyched. He is THE best. His goal is to get them discharged as FAST as possible so they don't catch anything- he's pretty anti-hospital, and is the pedi for most of the HBs in our area (he knows all the CPS horror stories) :) So he'll do the blood test, and then send us home, we've already talked about it. He said he doesn't want residents "messing with the babies" :)

I had an IV during my first labor, and it did nothing other than have me swell up like a balloon for 3 days afterwards, but I had an epidural, so I guess it's necessary in those cases :( If I start that vomiting stuff though, I wont' take any chances and will ask for the IV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post

I am going to stalk Nanette from here on out... you are already my hero, woman!!! thumb.gif Go mama, go!!!

Thanks lady! I feel the fighting spirit already. I had my first argument with my OB's nurse the FIRST time I met her (refused the urine test until I was told what exactly they were testing). Now we get along great, she knows I don't give in, so she picks her battles, and instead phrases everything as a "suggestion" rather than a demand :) Most recently: "I know you're going to refuse it, but we're supposed to do the 1hour GTT next time, can we do the breakfast instead?" She's been pretty easy to train ;) Let's hope I can do the same with this Doc!

#26 of 59 Old 12-13-2010, 11:02 AM

I hope I'm as blessed Nanette. I hope to get prenatal care as soon as medicaid accept me but they still haven't. But, if I do, I will be refusing all sorts of things. I just hope that the hospital midwife I know of will take me and that she takes medicaid. I think she doesn't but not positive. 

Sounds like things are going well for you though and I think you are setting up for a good birth experience. :)

#27 of 59 Old 12-13-2010, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're planning a UC, so I'm assuming that if we're going to the hospital, I need pain relief or there's a problem with the baby. So ours is a little different.

Pain Relief:

• Amanda would like pain relief offered immediately.

• “Walking” epidural anesthesia is preferable to IV medications.

• After the initial offer, please do not offer again unless requested.

Interventions:

• If Baby is in distress, please discuss the need for interventions such as Pitocin, vacuum/forceps delivery or Cesarean delivery.

• No Cytotec (misoprostal) is to be administered at any time.

• Please do not perform an episiotomy. Amanda would prefer to tear naturally.

Second Stage:

• If physically able, Amanda will assume upright positions for pushing and birth.

• If medicated, Amanda would appreciate assistance for squat, side-lying, or all-fours positions.

• Please do not count or direct pushing unless Baby is in distress or Amanda is unable to feel to push.

• Please do not place any time limits on pushing.

After the Birth:

• Please place Baby on Amanda's chest immediately unless Baby needs immediate medical attention.

• Please do not routinely administer Pitocin or apply umbilical traction in order to extract the placenta.

• Please do not clamp or cut the cord until it has stopped pulsating and placenta has been delivered.

• Amanda does not consent to manual examination of the cesarean scar.

• Amanda and Baby would like to be released as soon as possible and recover at home.

Cesarean Section:

• Please wait until after anesthesia to insert a catheter.

• Amanda would like to discuss ways to avoid the severe vomiting experienced after her previous cesarean.

• We would like the surgery described as it is happening and the screen lowered or a mirror placed.

• Amanda would like to hold Baby while being stitched and breastfeed in recovery if possible.

• Please double-suture uterus.

• Dissolving stitches are highly preferred to staples or traditional sutures.

Care of Baby:

• We waive all eye ointments and vaccinations.

• If Baby is a boy, we do not want him circumcised or his foreskin manipulated in any way.

• Amanda is planning to breastfeed. Please do not administer any liquids other than breastmilk (including formula and glucose) or introduce artificial nipples (including pacifiers and bottles).

• Amanda would like to room-in unless medical problems necessitate nursery care.

• Amanda and/or Michael will accompany Baby whenever it is medically necessary for Baby to leave Amanda's room.

Thank you for respecting our wishes and making our special experience a safe and happy one.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#28 of 59 Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM

Does anyone have a birth plan for a birth center?  We're most likely going with a birth center so a lot of the items listed on some of the birth plans above aren't really relevant - like eating and drinking b/c they are all for that. 

#29 of 59 Old 12-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alireb View Post

Does anyone have a birth plan for a birth center?  We're most likely going with a birth center so a lot of the items listed on some of the birth plans above aren't really relevant - like eating and drinking b/c they are all for that. 

My birth plan at the bottom of the first page of this thread has our birth center birth plan.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#30 of 59 Old 12-23-2010, 10:36 PM

Sorry--I didn't mean to disappear. I had heplocks with both IVs, in the back of the hand. During my first birth, I was in the hospital for a long, long time, before DD was born, and the heplock got a little sore after day 3. The second time, I didn't notice it at all. It was about as uncomfortable as my hair being swept up with pins.  Honestly--I was in labor, and that's pretty distracting from minor things like the heplock.

Nanette--I swelled up a ton after my first birth, too! I swear, I got more stretch marks after DD was born than before. It didn't happen after my son's birth, though, and I had IVs for both. Weird!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page