Showing earlier = bigger belly in the end? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a weird question... I definitely started showing much earlier with this pregnancy than I did with my first, and now at 22 weeks I look like I did when I was about 26-28 weeks with my first. My weight gain has been pretty much identical however (~10 pounds so far).

In 2nd, 3rd+, etc... pregnancies do you just hit your max belly size earlier on in pregnancy or do you get bigger each time. I seriously felt stretched to the max by the end of my first pregnancy; I can't imagine getting even bigger with this one.  

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#2 of 10 Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 PM

DDCC - This is my second pregnancy and I seemed to grow really fast early on and now at 30 weeks I am about the same size as I was last time (maybe a tad bigger) - I've just been this big longer if that makes sense.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#3 of 10 Old 12-13-2010, 01:08 PM

I don't know, I too at 23 weeks look like I am at least 6m pregnant. This id my second pregnancy.

#4 of 10 Old 12-13-2010, 04:36 PM

I am totally with you and was about to post something similar. i have same weight gain at 23 weeks with 2nd pg (about 15 lbs) as with 1st, but my belly is HUGE in my opinion, as well as my best friend and mother's opinions who keeps telling me i am so much bigger this time. thanks ma. i haven't had fundal measurement yet but i am sort of dreading it. i hope it doesn't mean this baby is a lot bigger than DS. I doubt that i guess, but the thought has crossed my mind. 

My cousin just says your body knows what it's doing this time and starts to get to the shape and size sooner. 

???

#5 of 10 Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 PM

I'm curious on this too...i've wondered. 

My sister is 9wks ahead of me with her first, so...she's hitting 8mos and I am bigger than her easily. 

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#6 of 10 Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 PM

I think it's normal to show earlier with subsequent pregnancies because your body has been through this before and the muscles have all been stretched out already, so they flex sooner and more easily. I showed a few weeks earlier with #2 and this time than with #1, but I don't think I was any larger at the end.. with #2 anyway, we'll see about this time around. I gained about the same amount of weight both times.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#7 of 10 Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoose View Post

I think it's normal to show earlier with subsequent pregnancies because your body has been through this before and the muscles have all been stretched out already, so they flex sooner and more easily. I showed a few weeks earlier with #2 and this time than with #1, but I don't think I was any larger at the end.. with #2 anyway, we'll see about this time around. I gained about the same amount of weight both times.

I'm really hoping this is the case! I actually kind of enjoy looking pregnant earlier, but I don't think I can handle being any bigger at 40+ weeks than I was the first time around.

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#8 of 10 Old 12-14-2010, 08:24 PM

I agree with Alison- I think it's completely normal (in my experience and those around me) to show earlier in subsequent pregnancies.   However, I don't think my fundal height was any different in preg #2 or preg #3.    I think it's the first that's usually the 'tightest', and I see a big difference how women carry in their first to women carrying subsequent pregnancies. 

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#9 of 10 Old 12-23-2010, 01:58 PM

This is pg #3 for me, and I am much larger so far than I was at this point in my first 2.  With my second, I had a bigger belly faster than with baby #1 but in the end I was about the same size.  I think you "pop" earlier with your later pregancies, but your belly will be around the same size in the homestretch

#10 of 10 Old 12-26-2010, 10:12 PM

I'm on my 4th, and this is the first time I've showed really early (people were guessing before 12 weeks...).  I did show earlier with each of my pregnancies though, and did not end up with a larger fundal measurement or super-enormous belly by the end.  It just sort of seems to even out by the end....  Oh, and DD's 2 and 3 were each almost a pound heavier than the baby before... but belly size seemed pretty much the same. 

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page