Glucose Screening - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Where are all of you on this for this pregnancy? It's coming up for a lot of us. I'm 24 weeks and since I do have risk factors, I will be doing the test BUT am doing a meal. I'll get a fasting blood draw in the morning (in a few weeks), eat a normal breakfast, and get another draw two hours later. Last time I did the drink and barely passed. It's so unnatural, I was/am very uncomfortable consenting to the drink this time.

What are your experiences? What do you plan to do?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#2 of 22 Old 12-21-2010, 07:21 AM

The drink always makes me vomit. Then I always fail the one hour and pass the three hour. My DF is a paramedic so we have a glucometer and strips at home. I am going to test my fasting level first thing in the morning and then eat a big breakfast of pancakes and syrup. I will test again in an hour. Then I will check randomly before, after and between meals for a few days. If any of my readings are off then I will go to the doc for an A1C hemoglobin. I think the drink is very unnatural. I know I would never consume anything like it LOL it's just gross!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#3 of 22 Old 12-21-2010, 07:21 AM

I'm doing the meal too :) I did the 1 hour GTT with DS 6 years ago, an swore I'd never do it again. UCK. Since the M/W has to transfer me, she said we'll do the glucose screening "breakfast" before I go, so that the OB can't harass me about the 1 hour GTT. What's on the menu for you? I'm trying to remember mine off the top of my head, but I think it's:

2 eggs, 2 pieces of whole wheat bread/toast, a glass of "no sugar added" juice and a glass of milk OR 2 slices of cheese...

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#4 of 22 Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 AM

We discussed this at the MW appointment yesterday, she said normally it's done around 26-28 weeks.  I have no relatives with diabetes, baby measuring normal actually a hair below (but it's still early so that's not a concern), amount of fluid appears fine, my urine strips are normal.  She said the only risk factor I have is that I'm over 25 and that's a very weak factor.  So I've opted to skip it for now.  DH did not have any major objections, although he did point out that if it were him he would be doing all the available tests under the sun, but that's just his personality.

The MW talked about some good diabetic practices like no juice, no white carbs, limit sweets and sugar, get some exercise post-meals rather than sit around.  I'll be doing some of those but not others, I'm sure, we'll see how it goes.  She did say that in her opinion, if you have risk factors that make you really concerned about GD, you should just do the 3 hrs test as the 1 hr is just a screening and not perfect and if you end up doing both anyway that's just more glucose you end up drinking and more needle pokes to suffer through.

#5 of 22 Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

My meal will be pretty similar to what you mention, toast, butter, eggs, and probably milk.

I might use my dad's thingy over Christmas and test my blood there at the same times I'll get it tested later on.

Re the A1C, I thought that wasn't very relevant since GD is something that develops later in pregnancy, if one does have it?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 22 Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 PM

I was told the A1C was the most accurate test and that they would use it once the three hour was failed. I could have misunderstood.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#7 of 22 Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 PM

I'll be doing it at my next appointment at 27 weeks.  I don't have a lot of options for prenatal care where I live, especially for the hospital I want to deliver at, so I'm picking my battles with them and this isn't one I'm choosing to fight.  I "failed" the screen twice with DS's pregnancy, but my numbers were fine on the 2 hour test.  So, I'm planning that I will need to do the 2 hour this time as well.  I don't mind the drink, it doesn't make me feel sick, so I'm not sweating this one.  

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#8 of 22 Old 12-21-2010, 07:10 PM

My MW had me do an early GTT since I declined with my son (was seeing a HB MW) and ended up with a baby that weighed 10lbs, 5oz. Of course at 2 years he is 3 feet tall and weighs 32lbs so really, he is just a big kid. But they won't listen. I wasn't diabetic last time but they insisted on checking his blood sugars several times a day for two days after he was born. (all normal btw, because I WAS NOT DIABETIC.) This time, to save myself the headache at birth (and my son from a bunch of heel sticks) I submitted to the 1 hour test at 16 weeks. Passed with flying colors. My MW did tell me I didn't have to fast, she advised me to eat a high protein, no carb or sugar breakfast beforehand. I will have to do the test again at 28 weeks. Anything to save my baby from that pain and me from that stress after the birth. I don't mind them sticking me, I'm an adult and I understand why they are taking my blood.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#9 of 22 Old 12-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimomma View Post

The drink always makes me vomit. Then I always fail the one hour and pass the three hour. My DF is a paramedic so we have a glucometer and strips at home. I am going to test my fasting level first thing in the morning and then eat a big breakfast of pancakes and syrup. I will test again in an hour. Then I will check randomly before, after and between meals for a few days. If any of my readings are off then I will go to the doc for an A1C hemoglobin. I think the drink is very unnatural. I know I would never consume anything like it LOL it's just gross!

Same here, down to the paramedic DH. smile.gif

That test makes me seriously ill all day and I refuse it. I'll check my own levels at home and give doc the results.
#10 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 06:20 AM

I don't mind doing the drink.  I like the fruit punch the best.  Lemon lime wasn't bad.  Orange was not my favorite.  I can't imagine drinking the "cola" version.

I've done it enough times to not worry about the drink.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#11 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimomma View Post

I was told the A1C was the most accurate test and that they would use it once the three hour was failed. I could have misunderstood.

It's the most accurate way of diagnosing type 1 and type 2, but not for gestational diabetes.  It is a measurement of the average blood sugars over the last 3 months and that doesn't work for GD as that doesn't build up over months and months.  It's more rapid.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#12 of 22 Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 PM

I have mine at 28 weeks but I'm just drinking a combo of either orange juice or apple juice and 1/2 a banana. I don't have to do the nasty drink.
#13 of 22 Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 AM

I'll be doing it at my next appt at 28 weeks. I think my office only has the orange - bleh! Last pregnancy I "failed" by one point but did perfectly fine with the 3 hour. It's a bad test for many reasons, but my OB is the only one in the area who will actually deliver VBAC, so I'm picking my battles.

nerdymom likes this.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#14 of 22 Old 12-26-2010, 12:46 PM

I will be doing mine at 28 weeks, in my home.  My midwife told me to eat normally, but not to eat a ton of carbs or sugars that day.  I'll drink 10 oz of grape juice (real grape juice, not the sugar syrup, she said) at the time they tell me, then the midwife will come over and do the test.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#15 of 22 Old 12-26-2010, 06:29 PM

I'll be skipping the test again this pregnancy.  I have no risk factors, and understand the 'treatment' is largely lifestyle and may or may not 'work'.

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#16 of 22 Old 12-27-2010, 02:53 AM

At this point, I'm declining the test. I took it and passed w/ my first preg and declined it w/ my second.
Twins is the only risk factor I have, and, at this point, even a positive result wouldn't change much in my care (as in, I'm living mostly on IV fluids and, what I do eat is pretty much straight protein. Plus, we're watching fetal growth via US every 2-4 weeks anyway). For CYA purposes, I'm letting them draw weekly glucoses both fasting and pp (I'm already getting stuck 2x/week for IV fluids)

I actually wasn't going to fight too hard on this one- it didn't seem like a hill to die on, but peri was receptive to me not doing it.

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#17 of 22 Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 AM

I believe I am declining it. My Dr only offers the 3 hour fasting test now b/c apparently too many women were failing the 1 hour who weren't actually diabetic. I did fine w DS and don't have any risk factors other than age I suppose (33). Since my MS went away I have been watching my sugar intake (laying off the daily 1/2 pint of ice cream) and I eat healthy whole foods anyway and exercise a few times/week (would more if I had a sitter).

Whenever I decline a test there is always a small part of me that worries, but i have sort of learned to trust my instincts and knowledge about my body/pregnancy.

#18 of 22 Old 12-27-2010, 03:38 PM

I refused the drink the 1st time and ate  protein, carbs, and had some juice for the random test at the office. it was a little high, so he made me do the 3 hour GTT at the hospital and I HAD to drink the stuff. I didn't think the cola itself was terrible, but omg...I can't even think about the 4 blood draws without crying. They literally butchered me. I didn't realize that's what they were going to do before I went, so I didn't know to fight for an IV port. I warned them, but they didn't listen...of course. Meanwhile, I had the most awful spasms in my side the whole time. I had been in the hospital for them the day before, they were so bad.

3 of those numbers were high, so they "diagnosed"me with GD. But as I thought of it, I started thinking about how it started to get really bad when I started on the Aldomet. So I did some reasearch...yep! BOTH Aldomet and Lopressor cause out of control high blood sugars!! Not to mention the other list of horrible side effects that I am having from them. Now that I have a glucometer and strips, i think it was a good thing. It really is completely out-of-control high...and no, diet isn't helping...I wonder why??

I'm going back tomorrow to take my week of numbers (5x/day) back to OB and see what he says, and I'm going to BEG him to stop taking the Aldomet. I feel like I'm losing my mind *tears* 

Wife, 27, to DH, 33, and Mama to DS1 Josiah - 8/09, DS2 James - 3/11, 10 angel babies, 3 foster children, and one adorable ALMOST ADOPTED son - 5/05 

#19 of 22 Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfamMama View Post

I refused the drink the 1st time and ate  protein, carbs, and had some juice for the random test at the office. it was a little high, so he made me do the 3 hour GTT at the hospital and I HAD to drink the stuff. I didn't think the cola itself was terrible, but omg...I can't even think about the 4 blood draws without crying. They literally butchered me. I didn't realize that's what they were going to do before I went, so I didn't know to fight for an IV port. I warned them, but they didn't listen...of course. Meanwhile, I had the most awful spasms in my side the whole time. I had been in the hospital for them the day before, they were so bad.

3 of those numbers were high, so they "diagnosed"me with GD. But as I thought of it, I started thinking about how it started to get really bad when I started on the Aldomet. So I did some reasearch...yep! BOTH Aldomet and Lopressor cause out of control high blood sugars!! Not to mention the other list of horrible side effects that I am having from them. Now that I have a glucometer and strips, i think it was a good thing. It really is completely out-of-control high...and no, diet isn't helping...I wonder why??

I'm going back tomorrow to take my week of numbers (5x/day) back to OB and see what he says, and I'm going to BEG him to stop taking the Aldomet. I feel like I'm losing my mind *tears* 

I am so sorry you are going through this. I would think. if they knew you were on this medication, that they ought to have warned you. I hope you are able to find a solution soon! :hug

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#20 of 22 Old 12-31-2010, 11:15 AM

I've lost my post twice now, when I've tried to submit it, and now I'm crying...ugh...I'll try again later. 

Wife, 27, to DH, 33, and Mama to DS1 Josiah - 8/09, DS2 James - 3/11, 10 angel babies, 3 foster children, and one adorable ALMOST ADOPTED son - 5/05 

#21 of 22 Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post

I'll be skipping the test again this pregnancy.  I have no risk factors, and understand the 'treatment' is largely lifestyle and may or may not 'work'.

Yeah me too. :) Oh wait- I am 33!!! Yikes- how'd that happen?

With my 1st baby I did test my morning BG levels with a home kit. I was hypoglycemic, more than I actually ever thought I was, lol! I did a lot of work with diabetics in grad school, so it was no big deal for me to test myself. The MW was happy with that and I think it's a better representation than the 'test.'

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#22 of 22 Old 12-31-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfamMama View Post

Oh honey!!! BIG HUGS and much support to you! My advice would be to make sure to get a second opinion/more help if your OB isn't able to help enough. There are lots of PB medications... you should be able to find one that doesn't mess with your BG so much, I would hope!!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page