Iron- how to increase quickly. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Help me mama's.  The past 2 days I have been so run down I can barely function.  I think I slept about 18 hours yesterday on and off.  I go back to work tomorrow and work 2 days off 1 and then work 3 in a row.  I need to feel better.  I suspect that it could be my iron.  I haven't taken a prenatal in about 2 weeks because I've been out and I don't eat meat (and haven't been eating that great the past week) I'm kinda short of breath and just feeling so run down and my brain feels slow, too!   DH went to whole foods last night and got me some lentil dish and some broccoli stuff and spinach something.  He also grabbed some prenatals.  But I think if it is my iron it will take a while for all that to get me up to normal. 

Anyone know a quick way to boost me up??  I hate to say it but I feel like a steak would do it!  I never wanted meat with either of the girls and I don't think I could do it now. I've been vegetarian for so long.  I will eat fish once in a while but I'm really picky about it and I don't think its very iron rich anyway. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/usa/products/R64771.htm

Floradix Iron plus herbs available at Whole Foods. Recommended by my midwife, I have used it during each of my pregnancies.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#3 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 07:13 AM

I know this sucks, when you are not a meat eater, but yes, a steak would give you some iron pretty quick.

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

#4 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 AM

Pattimomma, Do you know if floradix causes constipation?

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#5 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

Pattimomma, Do you know if floradix causes constipation?

It's not supposed to. I got it for a better price I believe on Amazon. It's recommend to take with some vitamin C. I have iron probs too. I've also taken Herbal Iron and that was good but more expensive I think.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#6 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been taking Floradix daily with no ill effects. If your iron is super low, you might want to try Slow Fe pills. The amount of iron in the Floradix dose is actually quite low because we don't absorb the entire amount. You're supposed to avoid taking it with dairy or calcium since that stops absorption of the iron.

I have been feeling extremely wiped out lately and am waiting for results of having my iron and thyroid checked. I eat read meat daily and still feel this way. I suspect that stress is playing a part in my fatigue. I hope you can find something that helps!

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

#7 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 AM

Hi Mamas, forgot to mention that you could also take Molasses or incorporate it into your diet because it has a high iron content that is easily absorbed in the body.

Also for long term, a cast iron skillet is something my nutritionist recommended I buy.

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

#8 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.  I bought some Floradix. I got more prenatals that have 30mg.  I'm feeling marginally better today but still pretty wiped out.  I guess stress could be part of it, too. 

so how exactly do I incorporate Molassas into my diet. oatmeal, maybe?? 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#9 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 PM

Hmm, I actually took a couple tsps of it. Ha. Yuck. It wasn't very tasty. But also you could definitely do oatmeal or bake some yummy bread with molasses. I forgot the stuff I got was called Blackstrap Molasses.

Good luck. I know iron is such a big deal and so many people are deficient. I never even thought of my iron being low!

#10 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Floradix has never caused me any constipation problems. Here is a link to a pdf, it is a handout on iron that my midwife gives her clients

http://www.gamidwife.com/pdf/iron.pdf

I almost always get diagnosed anemic with pregnancy but the floradix seems to do the trick for me and my levels come back up pretty quickly.

Oh and most of the info on the handout comes straight out of Ina May's Spiritual Midwifery.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#11 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 PM

DDCC

I am vegetarian as well and just got my numbers back...they were fantastic.  She said they were higher than most meat-eaters.  SO, you do not have to go eat a steak!!  I take my normal prenatals and no extra supplements.  However, my midwife suggested that if I was feeling run down, the quickest way to get iron is to eat food made in a cast iron skillet, preferably eggs.  I would go pick up a cast iron skillet and start cooking with it.  HTH!

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#12 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM

Food sources are going to give you more absorbable iron then a supplement. Dont eat them with calcium/dairy

Do you eat seafood?  Oysters have more heme iron that the equivalent amount of liver or beef.

Sea vegetables have alot of iron 18-40 mg a 1/2 cup!

Tahini has more iron then meat :)  2 TBSP give you 9mg

Prune juice and cherry juice are iron rich..

Blackstrap molasses has 5mg per TBSP

dried apricots and peaches have alot of iron

Oh.. and watermelon, kidney beans, lentils, spinach

#13 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaayeh View Post

DDCC

I am vegetarian as well and just got my numbers back...they were fantastic.  She said they were higher than most meat-eaters.  SO, you do not have to go eat a steak!!  I take my normal prenatals and no extra supplements.  However, my midwife suggested that if I was feeling run down, the quickest way to get iron is to eat food made in a cast iron skillet, preferably eggs.  I would go pick up a cast iron skillet and start cooking with it.  HTH!

Ditto on my numbers! Vegetarian here and my iron levels were higher than average, my doctor was really surprised! I also second the cast iron skillet idea :)

As far as food goes, Barley, Lentils and Sea Vegetables contain some of the highest levels of vegetarian sourced iron. I found this website that has many barley recipes: http://www.barleyfoods.org/recipes.html

Everett Kai due April 3rd!
#14 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

Thanks everyone.  I bought some Floradix. I got more prenatals that have 30mg.  I'm feeling marginally better today but still pretty wiped out.  I guess stress could be part of it, too. 

so how exactly do I incorporate Molassas into my diet. oatmeal, maybe?? 

Make sure you get unsulphered BLACKSTRAP molassas. It is so delicious! I grew up eating it instead of syrup on pancakes. It is to.die.for on fresh, hot corn muffins. make yourself a lentil stew and make a pan of corn bread. For dessert have corn muffins *drowning* in blackstrap. mmm. A recipe like honey baked lentils http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/10/honey-baked-lentils.html is delicious and easy.

Raisins are a great, iron-rich snack.

Also, don't forget, in winter time greens are in season! Anything you cook you can find a way of working in some spinach, kale, or collards. I love steamed kale chopped and mashed with potatoes. Serve with a vegetarian "meat" (bean and lentil) loaf. Make green smoothies, or dairy free fruit smoothies with a handful or two of kale. Make hummus with a generous amount of tahini.

I'm full of iron ideas because I am anemic and close to IV meds for it if I don't bring it up soon. I am taking slow Fe 3x a day and it is a pain.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#15 of 15 Old 12-22-2010, 07:46 AM

I have absolutely no help for you, but your post reminded me (I'm sure I'm dating myself here) of the Friends episode where Phoebe, who is a vegetarian, is craving meat so badly.  Joey offers to be a vegetarian in her place so she can eat meat while pregnant.  Funny one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

Help me mama's.  The past 2 days I have been so run down I can barely function.  I think I slept about 18 hours yesterday on and off.  I go back to work tomorrow and work 2 days off 1 and then work 3 in a row.  I need to feel better.  I suspect that it could be my iron.  I haven't taken a prenatal in about 2 weeks because I've been out and I don't eat meat (and haven't been eating that great the past week) I'm kinda short of breath and just feeling so run down and my brain feels slow, too!   DH went to whole foods last night and got me some lentil dish and some broccoli stuff and spinach something.  He also grabbed some prenatals.  But I think if it is my iron it will take a while for all that to get me up to normal. 

Anyone know a quick way to boost me up??  I hate to say it but I feel like a steak would do it!  I never wanted meat with either of the girls and I don't think I could do it now. I've been vegetarian for so long.  I will eat fish once in a while but I'm really picky about it and I don't think its very iron rich anyway. 

Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page