DHA woes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-23-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I bought the one a day prenatal multivitamin and DHA supplement pack.  The only problem is the DHA pill gives me horrible gas every time I take it, including fishy tasting burps.. yum! I've only taken it a handful of times because it's really awful.  Can anyone suggest a DHA supplement that is easier on the stomach?

#2 of 10 Old 12-23-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm taking the Spectrum Prenatal DHA supplement and I don't have any problems with it.  It's not made from fish oil.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#3 of 10 Old 12-27-2010, 06:28 AM

Thread crashing smile.gif

Try freezing the fish oil supplements.  I find that they stay fresh longer, and I stopped getting that weird after-taste too.

Or find a supplement made from flax?

Mac + Nick Expecting someone new in late June 2014.  Remembering our 3    1 * * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * *  40 * * 43
#4 of 10 Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM

i take a fish oil supplement but have to take it before bed or I get the nasty fish burbs. Can you take before bed?

#5 of 10 Old 12-28-2010, 11:23 AM

I once made the mistake of taking a fish oil capsule during the day, had awful nasty fish burps.  I keep mine in the fridge now and take them just before I go to sleep and it doesn't bother me at all.  If that didn't work my next step was going to be putting them in the freezer as a PP said but the current routine works fine so I haven't bothered.

#6 of 10 Old 12-30-2010, 06:25 AM

I bought an algae-based version of DHA, and for the last four months I have only had one time where I got a fishy taste later on. I got it at our local food co-op, so its not a brand name, but I bet a good health food store might carry an alternative to fish oil. Taking them at night before bed also seemed to help.

#7 of 10 Old 01-05-2011, 03:08 PM

I've had the same problem.  Mine (New Chapter Prenatal Wholemega) recommend to take two just before eating my two largest meals, so I was taking them before lunch and dinner.  But then I'd get bad heartburn and fish-burps right before bed. grossedout.gif  

So, the last few days I switched to breakfast and lunch, and it seems to work because I actually tend to eat more during the day (after the meals) than at dinner.  I like that the pills are smaller, and if I feel like I'm getting too much, I can cut the dosage really easily because they're 4-a-day.  If it starts to happen again, I'll try the fridge or freezer thing, thanks to the above posters. :)

#8 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 AM

I second the Spectrum.  It is small and easy to take- I can get it down even when I am not feeling great, and it doesn't have any taste.

#9 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 AM

DDCC - I take an algae based one in a veg capsule and keep it in the fridge.  No issues at all!  Here's the brand:

http://www.healthsuperstore.com/p-deva-nutrition-vegan-omega-3-dha.htm

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 08:23 AM

I mix a little lemon juice and honey and take that with the DHA pills to stop the fish burps....as for the gas, well...I just laugh. I mean, I pee my pants when I sneeze or laugh as it is....why not add flatulence to those fun times as well? Haha.

Good suggestions about keeping your supplements in the ice box though! I did find with the One A Day Prenatals, I could only take them every other day or I couldn't "clear" myself properly....even when I just stopped short of eating tree bark on a fiber rampage and drinking water until I was about to pop.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page