Share your registry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 84 Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not doing a registry this time around, there is no need for one as I have most of what I need, and I won't be having a baby shower. But I love looking at registries! I like to see what is out there, and I always get new ideas for gifts for other people, or myself, from other people's registries. If you would like to show off your registry, or even ask for someone to look over your registry and give you feedback on items overlooked or the quality of the products, I would love to be your audience! And I will give feedback as I am able (not promising anything, but I will try), if it is desired.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#2 of 84 Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Cool~~   Here's mine.  It's my first time registering for anything whatsoever so feel free to help.  ;-)    Can you believe MDC let me cut and past the thing right from Amazon?  Crazy technology.  BTW, I'm also registered locally for some cloth diapering supplies (covers,snappys, wipes, wet bag and etc.)    

My SIL is distributing the registry to people who ask.  I plan on telling people that they should not be any means feel obligated to get any of this stuff from the sites I posted -- I'm more using Amazon to organize.  Some stuff can be gotten locally or on another site.   Do you think the things that I'm specific about brands on (cloth diapers, for instance) are obvious as opposed to things I just want something similar (like the changing pad)?  

I could make a note under each saying, "I'd like this particular brand" or "Or something similar" to make that clear.  What do you think?  

UPDATED AGAIN!!   Thanks for all the tips...

FYI, I have found lots of things (clothing and misc. baby stuff at thrift stores) and I have a gift cert to our local cloth diaper store so I'll buy things like pins and extras with that.  It sure has been fun virtually preparing with ya'll!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 84 Old 01-05-2011, 08:21 PM

I used MyRegistry.com ... I love it because It allows you to add items from any website and write little notes about each item.

You can see mine at http://www.myregistry.com/public/frohriep

It's not completely done... I still need to add the bassinet and cloth diapers and a few other small things. We already have the crib, crib sheets, whole layette, stroller/pram and carseat :)

On the welcome page to the registry I specifically said "no plastic and no clothes". Some people may think it's tacky but the only people (besides anyone reading this thread!) who will be seeing it are close friends and family and I'd hate for them to waste their money on things we aren't going to use/don't need!

Everett Kai due April 3rd!
#4 of 84 Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 PM

I think it would be best to identify the items you want the specific item vs the general idea. I didn't get any sense for that in my brief perusal of your list. People tend to buy the EXACT item you list on your registry (and might do so even if you specify otherwise). i always wished there were generic options at Babies R Us, like a barcode to scan for "0-3 months onesies" "3-6 month sleepwear" and then maybe a boy/girl/neutral choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
  Do you think the things that I'm specific about brands on (cloth diapers, for instance) are obvious as opposed to things I just want something similar (like the changing pad)?  

I could make a note under each saying, "I'd like this particular brand" or "Or something similar" to make that clear.  What do you think?  

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#5 of 84 Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 PM

IndentityCrisisMama- I agree that you should make notes especially on the items you specifically want.  and if things go together that you wouldn't need one without the other (for instance i noted that i only need cosleeper sheets if i get a cosleeper).

Beryl- I like how you have notes on almost everything.  I was a little hesitant to add lots of notes, but now I think I should.  Do you have sling or carrier in there?

Nerdymom-  Thank you so much again for you your help with my registry!  You are awesome!  :)  I went back and updated/ added/ edited and I think it is more complete and organized now.  If you wouldn't mind perusing it again I would be grateful. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html?ie=UTF8&type=baby&id=U2JEQNFS935J

I feel like maybe I went overboard a bit, but i think it will be helpful for me too just to have an organized list of what i will need.  I still have a couple things to add such as cloth diaper inserts and regular sized prefolds (i only have infant size in there now). 

ETA- where is the Universal Registry Button? 

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#6 of 84 Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Cool~~   Here's mine.  It's my first time registering for anything whatsoever so feel free to help.  ;-)    Can you believe MDC let me cut and past the thing right from Amazon?  Crazy technology.  BTW, I'm also registered locally for some cloth diapering supplies (covers,snappys, wipes, wet bag and etc.)    

My SIL is distributing the registry to people who ask.  I plan on telling people that they should not be any means feel obligated to get any of this stuff from the sites I posted -- I'm more using Amazon to organize.  Some stuff can be gotten locally or on another site.   Do you think the things that I'm specific about brands on (cloth diapers, for instance) are obvious as opposed to things I just want something similar (like the changing pad)?  

I think a note would be a good idea. People do tend to buy the exact thing you register for. Two things you want to consider adding: bath stuff and bedding. People *love* to give baby bath supplies. I think it is because of how deliciously edible wet naked baby fat is. If you are wanting to avoid certain chemicals (phthalates for example?) add a few soap/bubble bath/lotion items. You're going to get this stuff anyway, might as well try to get stuff you will use (or won't feel bad about using yourself or regifting)  I also notice you don't have any breastfeeding support pillows, washable cotton nursing pads, or bedding. Was that intentional?

Everyone else...I'll get to you tomorrow. Night!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#7 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 AM

OregonicMama- It's not completely done yet. I did have a super cute Petunia Picklebottom carrier on there before that was made out of organic cotton but I've read mixed reviews about carriers that support at the crotch... the more I thought about it, it really seems like it'd be uncomfortable for a little boy. I've read positive reviews about the Moby Wrap but it gets very hot/humid where I live in Florida and can't imagine having that much fabric/baby wrapped around me! 

Everett Kai due April 3rd!
#8 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 09:16 AM

Beryl- I think the Moby wrap looks too hot too.  But I think any carrier would be too hot in hot and humid Florida.  Hmmm.... I do remember seeing mesh slings somewhere when I was baby shopping for DD2 years ago, maybe someone still makes them.  Will the registry ever be done?  haha.... I feel like I am forgetting something every time I stop working on it! 

ETA- I found the universal registry button.  I love that!  Now I can add the diaper covers I really like.... and who knows what else.  :)

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#9 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM

Oh, cool!  I'd love an objective view on my registry, or at least one that doesn't insist on formula, disposable diapers, and $600 strollers.  I sent to my mom & MIL, but didn't get much feedback.  Mom already got us the co-sleeper for Christmas, which is really awesome.  My MIL tried to give us an old plastic changing table she had used for my husband, and then got a bit insulted when we said 'no thanks.'

Here's the link:

http://www.myregistry.com/public/Joanne-Crofts-Zachary-Fowler

It might be worth knowing that we live in a 2-bedroom apartment, don't have a ton of floor space in the living room, have a dresser for the baby, and got lots of clothes in a range of baby sizes from a few friends.

Thanks!

#10 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post

I think a note would be a good idea. People do tend to buy the exact thing you register for. Two things you want to consider adding: bath stuff and bedding. People *love* to give baby bath supplies. I think it is because of how deliciously edible wet naked baby fat is. If you are wanting to avoid certain chemicals (phthalates for example?) add a few soap/bubble bath/lotion items. You're going to get this stuff anyway, might as well try to get stuff you will use (or won't feel bad about using yourself or regifting)  I also notice you don't have any breastfeeding support pillows, washable cotton nursing pads, or bedding. Was that intentional?

Thanks, Nerdymom and all!!  I'll go back and add more notes to the registry letting people know if I'm feeling brand specific or not.  I guess I'll also add some soap and stuff.  There's lots *not* on my registry either because I don't want it or because I've already picked it up at a swap/thrift or something.  For instance, I found a Boppy this week at a thrift store and am having SIL make a funky cover for it.  

If I may critique the other registries -- here are my thoughts...

*I like how both of you have some lower priced items on your registry.  I think I'll try to find a few to add. 

*Some diaper companies offer free shipping (Abby's Lane) so that may be something to look into.

*I (personally) don't like Robeez (I think they're sweaty and tight and hard to get on and off...I'm constantly baffled by their popularity).  I LOVE Nowali booties for babies from NB-fully walking/playing.  The best style is the cable knit with the elastic over the front ankle.  Check my registry if you're interested.  

*Remember that when linking to your registry, it links your full name in case you're worried about that.  

*I have not personally tried the Nosefrida snot sucker but kept hearing how great it was so I added it to my registry 

Re: slings - I'm a ring sling gal.  I don't like the new patterns of Maya Wrap so I'm getting one used but I do highly recommend the Maya.  

Can anyone share the etiquette of registries if people are going to get something on my registry but not from the linked source.  Do you think they'll just let me (or SIL throwing a shower) know to remove something from the list?  How does all that work?   Also, what is the deal with showers/gifts for 2nd children?  I didn't have a shower with DD so it's not like I'm "milking" the shower thing and it HAS been 9 years so we're starting from scratch...but still I feel a little weird about showers/registry in general.  Wanna put my mind at ease?  

ETA:  I saw some good ideas on your registries:  Breast pads, solids food supplies (thought it seems so early to be thinking about solid food!!), wet bags...

P.s.  My DC found that sweet pea bunting outfit at Goodwill the other day!!  

#11 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM

This is a fun thread smile.gif I wasn't planning to do a registry at first, but since most family and friends are so far away, I thought maybe it would be good at all. Natural bath soaps, lotions, and toys, a toddler upright car seat, a couple warm sleepers (since this baby is completely opposite seasons from DS), and diapers and wipes are all that is on mine.
nerdymom likes this.

Wife, 27, to DH, 33, and Mama to DS1 Josiah - 8/09, DS2 James - 3/11, 10 angel babies, 3 foster children, and one adorable ALMOST ADOPTED son - 5/05 

#12 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM

As a second time Mom, here is my registry.  I have a total of 17 Aunts between our two families and if I dont have a registry we will be buried under clothes.  Since my first was a girl, I dont need anymore clothes beyond what is listed ;)

We do a combo of EC/ cloth hence all the water proof pads.. and I had a kiddo that cried in the car so Im totally trying pacis in the car this time if that is an issue!

If this was my first, the things Id add that we loved were - 2 miracle blankets, video monitor, bouncy chair, trip trap high chair, learning tower, moby wrap, linen ring sling, ergo, bouncy chair, boppy, american apparel lap tees, medela pump in style, additional diapering stuff

Apparel

PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
Under the Nile 3 Pack of Long Sleeve Side Snap T-shirts with Fold Over Cuffs (Newborn - 3 Months, Blush/Lemon/Natural)
by Under the Nile
Offered by MoonTree
In stock. Processing takes an additional 4 to 5 days.
$33.00 Nice to have 1    

Snapibasic Mitten Sleeves Snap Shirt, White/Pink Print, Preemie
Snapibasic
In Stock
$12.99 Nice to have 1    

Snapibasic Mitten Sleeves Snap Shirt, White/Pink Print, Newborn
Snapibasic
In Stock
$12.99 Nice to have 1    

Dr. Seuss Baby Girls Grey with Pink Horton Hears A Who Onesie-6 Months
Offered by Treasure Box Kids
In Stock
$14.00 Nice to have 1    

Under The Nile Long Sleeve Shirt, Pink/Dots, 0-3 Months
Under the Nile
In Stock
$13.00 Nice to have 1    

Newborn Infant Toddler Girls' Circo® Pastel Colored 8 pk Gripper Socks 0-6M
Circo
Offered by Target.com/ITC
In Stock
$10.00 Nice to have 1    
  NOTE Not picky about socks and colors, prefer the fold over cuff style  
Luvable Friends 6 Pack Basic Cuff Socks, White, 0-6 Months
Luvable Friends
Offered by BabyVision
In stock. Processing takes an additional 2 to 3 days.
$6.99 Nice to have 1    

Luvable Friends 6 Pack Basic Cuff Socks, Pink, 6-18 Months
Luvable Friends
Offered by BabyVision
In stock. Processing takes an additional 2 to 3 days.
$6.99 Nice to have 1    

Bathing & Skin Care PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
Burt's Bees Baby Bee Shampoo & Wash, 12-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2)
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
$17.62 Nice to have 1    

Bedding PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
Carters Keep Me Dry Flannel Bassinet Pad, White
by Kids Line
In Stock
$5.99 Nice to have 1    

Naturepedic Waterproof Flat Crib Pad, 28x52
by Naturepedic
In Stock
$49.00 Like to have 1    

Books & Media PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
The Twelve Gifts of Birth
by Charlene Costanzo
In Stock
$13.59 Nice to have 1    

Car Seats PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
Fisher-Price Precious Planet Auto Mobile Mirror
by BRICA, Inc.
In Stock
$26.99 Nice to have 1    

Kiddopotamus Duomat 2 in 1 Car Seat Protector Mat
by Summer Infant, Inc.
Offered by BabyHaven
In Stock
$19.34 Like to have 2    

Already Purchased Items
Diapering PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
Carters Keep Me Dry Flannel Lap Pads, Butterfly, 3 Pack
by Kids Line
In Stock
$5.99 Nice to have 1    

Luvable Friends Super-soft Hooded Bath Wrap, Pink
by Luvable Friends
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available
$12.99 Like to have 2    

Thirsties Diaper Cover- Raspberry, X-Small (5-12 lbs)
by Thirsties
In Stock
$11.50 Like to have 1    

Thirsties Diaper Cover- Lavender, Small (12-18 lbs)
by Thirsties
In Stock
$11.50 Nice to have 1    

Already Purchased Items
Feeding PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack
Offered by Kiddie Collection, Inc.
In Stock
$11.25 Nice to have 1    

NUK Orthodontic Silicone BPA Free Nipple Bottle, 10 Ounce, 3 Pack, Colors May Vary
by NUK USA
Offered by kiddie world
In Stock
$11.99 Nice to have 1    

GumDrop Pacifier Full-Term Natural Scent Pink 5 Pack
by Hawaii Medical
Offered by Baby necesitties and more
In Stock
$4.10 Nice to have 1    

Medela's PersonalFit 27 mm. Breastshields 2-pk.
by Medela Inc.
Offered by Breakout Bras
In Stock
$11.20 Nice to have 1    

Medela Replacement Membranes - 6-pk
by medela
Offered by AJ WHOLESALE
In Stock
$5.85 Nice to have 1    

Already Purchased Items
Gifts PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
Under The Nile Layette Set, Blush/Gingham, 0-3 Months
Under the Nile
Offered by Atlantis Natural
In Stock
$21.99 Nice to have 1    

Health & Baby Care PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
Already Purchased Items
Toys PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether
by Vulli
In Stock
$17.10 Like to have 1    

Under The Nile Carrot Toy
by Under the Nile
In Stock
$6.16 Nice to have 1    

Other PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
Under The Nile Green Bean Toy
by Under the Nile
In Stock
$7.00 Nice to have 1    

Tribest Single Serving Blender/Grinder
Tribest
Offered by Duddy's Electronics
In Stock
$59.99 Like to have 1    
  NOTE For making babyfood.  
Himalayan Crystal Salt Lamp 4-5 Pounds
Offered by TigerDive
In Stock
$17.60 Nice to have 1    
  NOTE Night light for nursery  
Many Colors & Sizes to Choose From - From $17.95 - Baltic Amber Teething Necklaces - Natural & Effective Teething Relief
by Inspired by Finn
Currently unavailable
  Nice to have 1    

NALGENE Tritan Grip-N-Gulp BPA-Free Water Bottle,Pink
In Stock
$7.20 Nice to have 1    

NALGENE Tritan Grip-N-Gulp BPA-Free Water Bottle,Purple
In Stock
$7.20 Nice to have 1    

Marpac Lifesounds 440 Infant Sound Screen Sound Conditioner
Offered by HealthE Goods Natural Health Products
In Stock
$89.95 Like to have 1    
  NOTE White noise machine so baby doesnt get woken up by house noise  
Already Purchased Items
Universal Registry Items PRICE PRIORITY DESIRED    
Laughing Starfish Jewelry - Gallery - Chilled Bibelotshop this store
laughingstarfish.com
This item was added with the Universal Registry Button .
  Nice to have 1    
  NOTE This is a nursing necklace so the baby doesnt get distracted and doesnt pinch while nursing :) - these go in an out of stock but I wear alot of black and white gold/ silver - i like blues.. some other ones I like are Cyclonica, Crystal Rainbow loop, Aquatic carnival, sea sparkle, light shine II, undulant reverie and sea tiger  
Maternity Mommy & Baby Nursing Sets | Old Navyshop this store
gap.com
$22.00 Nice to have 1    
  NOTE Size XL - Color: Dogwood Pink  
Maternity Empire Jersey Nursing Tops | Old Navyshop this store
gap.com
$15.99 Nice to have 1    
  NOTE XL - Blue Void  
Disana Wool Coversshop this store
abbyslane.com
$21.00 Nice to have 3    
  NOTE Large in Chocolate and Pink Medium in Chocolate
#13 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 12:56 PM

identitycrisismama...

I love your registry.. just one tip on the disana covers.  Id get them bigger.  Small and medium. You'll get alot more use out of them and they will fit a new babe fine.  All wool knit covers swim on newborns ;) 

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/disana.htm

I actually like felting my disana's up a bit, personally so I order a size up from the grow into size.

#14 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChef View Post

identitycrisismama...

I love your registry.. just one tip on the disana covers.  Id get them bigger.  Small and medium. You'll get alot more use out of them and they will fit a new babe fine.  All wool knit covers swim on newborns ;) 

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/disana.htm

I actually like felting my disana's up a bit, personally so I order a size up from the grow into size.

I want to tell you why I chose the size I did and see what you think:  My DD was born about 9lbs but she did not grow fast AT ALL.  I know all kids are different but there is a STRONG pattern in my family of babies that take forever to double their birth weight.  I literally had DC in the same sized clothing for like 3 years!   I'm kind of anticipating getting more use out of NB stuff than the average parent.  Plus, because it took so long for DC to grow into stuff I really didn't like sizing up because I would loose things of they would get ruined FAR sooner than DC would ever grow out of them, yk?  I also am pretty bad about finding stuff that's in even short-term storage if I stock up on stuff for an older/larger baby.  

Given that lengthy "excuse" what do you think about the sizing I choose?   

I also think I may like a stack of waterproof pads.  Do you like the ones you registered for?  

I updated my list a little.  I added notes under most items.   The notes say: "We would like this particular brand but this item can be purchased anywhere", "Guilty Pleasure Item", or "Any brand of this style item would be great".  What do you think?  

nerdymom likes this.

#15 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM

I had DD in med disanas just slight shrunk (maybe 10% smaller) at 4 months.  I guess I also should add that I didnt layer clothes over them for the most part so if they were big it was okay. 

Not much needed to felt baby soakers for kiddos under 6 months, they just dont make that much pee.. even though I do for night time diapers and I put a bamboo velour soaker closest to the skin to try to not have to change the baby a million times at night.  I felted down by disana large to a small kinda on accident, but after it was my favorite night time cover, even over my lanacare from 6-9 months. 

If you dont think you'd like to felt them at all then I totally understand your sizings.  They'll definitely fit and work for awhile.. you cant really go wrong either way.  If you go with the smaller sizes you just get a reason to buy more fluff down the road. ;)  The disanas are so reasonably priced you can always pick up another one and felt it if you have a heavy wetter.

waterproof pads..

I do like the ones I registered for -  The small flannel ones I keep in the diaper bag for when we are on the go and I put her down to nap on someone else's bed or have her doing diaper free time - they arent really big, so they are really only good before they start rolling.  After they start moving they make good changing pads..  the large flannel one is good when they start rolling a bit.  I dont really prefer my kiddos sleep on them all the time.. I like more natural fabrics for that.  The wool one is for the bed.  I cosleep with a toddler already and have one of these sideways on her big girl bed for the future.  Id like another one just incase DD decides she wants to start sleeping in her room so we can use it sideways on our family bed for catching milk drips and any accidents.

#16 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 PM

Thanks, Mamachef.  I'll put some thought into sizing -- I hadn't thought about felting.  I'm new to wool.  I didn't see which one was the wool pad you're talking about.  Is that on your registry?  Is it washable?  

#17 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 PM

I love love love wool!

My favorite covers are the Wild Child Woolies or Luxe Baby. http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildChildWoolies ... I just looked and think Luxe baby may be no more :( 

I bought some wool interlock off of a coop and made some of my own.. still have some left so Ill dye some up for this babe too.  They are great daytime covers and Ive used them at night too but sometimes we have had some wicking.

Darn it.. I always call it a wool pad because Id spent forever researching wool pads before finally deciding on it for DDs bed

http://www.amazon.com/Naturepedic-Waterproof-Flat-Crib-28x52/dp/B0016RVM4O/ref=br_it_dp_v?ie=UTF8&coliid=I21MRIQFE73P6F&colid=1692OQH3LFXFM

It's not wool.  Sorry about that.  Placenta brain ;)

#18 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

I am having big, ugly problems with multiquote tonight. dizzy.gif So be prepared for individual replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beryl View Post

I used MyRegistry.com ... I love it because It allows you to add items from any website and write little notes about each item.

You can see mine at http://www.myregistry.com/public/frohriep

It's not completely done... I still need to add the bassinet and cloth diapers and a few other small things. We already have the crib, crib sheets, whole layette, stroller/pram and carseat :)

On the welcome page to the registry I specifically said "no plastic and no clothes". Some people may think it's tacky but the only people (besides anyone reading this thread!) who will be seeing it are close friends and family and I'd hate for them to waste their money on things we aren't going to use/don't need!

I'm having trouble with your link. Did you change it in any way? I just cannot get it to work. Sorry. I'd really like to see it though!

ETA: I managed to use IE to get myregistry.com to work for someone else, but your link is still nonfunctional.

#19 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonicmama View Post

IndentityCrisisMama- I agree that you should make notes especially on the items you specifically want.  and if things go together that you wouldn't need one without the other (for instance i noted that i only need cosleeper sheets if i get a cosleeper).

Beryl- I like how you have notes on almost everything.  I was a little hesitant to add lots of notes, but now I think I should.  Do you have sling or carrier in there?

Nerdymom-  Thank you so much again for you your help with my registry!  You are awesome!  :)  I went back and updated/ added/ edited and I think it is more complete and organized now.  If you wouldn't mind perusing it again I would be grateful. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html?ie=UTF8&type=baby&id=U2JEQNFS935J

I feel like maybe I went overboard a bit, but i think it will be helpful for me too just to have an organized list of what i will need.  I still have a couple things to add such as cloth diaper inserts and regular sized prefolds (i only have infant size in there now). 

ETA- where is the Universal Registry Button? 

Here is the thing about detailed registries. You are giving people a lot of information about what you need, want, and like. When I'm shopping from a registry I like to see variety so I can get an idea of where someone is coming from, so if I do go off registry I have more confidence when buying. You are also giving people lots of choices in different price points, a very good thing. I don't think your registry is overboard at all. I have seen overboard. I know a lot of people IRL who are getting married and having babies. I have seen a ton of registries in the past 4 years!!

I have never seen the silicone bottle wraps but they are SO COOL. Wow. Definitely something to file away for those moms who want glass bottles. I see you have Lilypads on the list. I've heard mixed things about them, some women who have mastitis problems following birth don't like the silicone pads, and recommend washable cotton. Just something to keep in mind. I have never used Lilypads and I have heard great things about them too.

I think your list looks great!

#20 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beryl View Post

OregonicMama- It's not completely done yet. I did have a super cute Petunia Picklebottom carrier on there before that was made out of organic cotton but I've read mixed reviews about carriers that support at the crotch... the more I thought about it, it really seems like it'd be uncomfortable for a little boy. I've read positive reviews about the Moby Wrap but it gets very hot/humid where I live in Florida and can't imagine having that much fabric/baby wrapped around me! 

Just say NO to crotch danglers! Please! There are a ton of babywearing options that are safer and more supportive than either a crotch dangler or a stretchy wrap (like a Moby). Pouch slings are fabulous and very "pop-able" (easy and quick to get baby in and out of) IF you get the proper fit, for which you MUST take your measurements. Ring slings are a great lightweight option, and there are a lot of sound and safe choices out there, from the beloved Maya wrap (I'm a proud owner of a secondhand Maya) to small wahm-made products. I INSIST that when buying a RS from a WAHM you ensure they use sling grade rings, from a trusted source like slingrings. Check TBW (thebabywearer.com) their FSOT is the place to go for secondhand and WAHM-made stuff, and there are a ton of reviews on there too.

If you want to have support on both shoulders, a mei tai or soft structured carrier are good options. There is not as much fabric which means less bulk, however, good quality MTs and SSCs are constructed of Cotton Duck or other very sturdy fabrics. Some MTs and most SSCs also have some padding for comfort and support. This all ads some bulk but overall, not that much. But don't expect it to breath much. Look for a SSC that has a seat, so that baby's butt hangs down at or below their bent knees.

If you want breathability, a gauze wrap may be what you are looking for. Worn similarly to the Moby, it is not stretchy so there is a little more of a learning curve BUT very versatile. Woven wraps are also available in cotton, cotton/linen, cotton/silk, and IIRC cotton/wool blends. I don't think there are any pure wool wraps out there. Wraps can be worn a multitude of ways and because of the natural fibers are very breathable.

#21 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderfulStuff View Post

Oh, cool!  I'd love an objective view on my registry, or at least one that doesn't insist on formula, disposable diapers, and $600 strollers.  I sent to my mom & MIL, but didn't get much feedback.  Mom already got us the co-sleeper for Christmas, which is really awesome.  My MIL tried to give us an old plastic changing table she had used for my husband, and then got a bit insulted when we said 'no thanks.'

Here's the link:

http://www.myregistry.com/public/Joanne-Crofts-Zachary-Fowler

It might be worth knowing that we live in a 2-bedroom apartment, don't have a ton of floor space in the living room, have a dresser for the baby, and got lots of clothes in a range of baby sizes from a few friends.

Thanks!

I figured out that myregistry.com is not playing nicely with my firefox. Only for the love of you ladies will I hop back on ie. blech. ;)

Notes: 1) skip the balboa baby sling. It is very closely related to those dangerous bag type slings. The top rail is huge, the fit is awkward, and I feel like it is hard to get baby into a safe position in one. Yes, I've tried in IRL. yuck. Stick with your other sling choices. 2) skip anything that goes either A)between the carseat and the car's seat. Unless it is put there by a certified car seat safety person (sometimes they use cut up foam pool noodles to get a proper installation in certain cars) it is not considered safe. B) anything that goes between carseat and baby that doesn't come with the carseat. Again, there are no safety standards for these things, they are not recommended by any carseat manufacturers, and they could interfere with the safe function of the seat. 3) Don't forget baby bath stuff - body wash, lotion, etc. Again - you WILL get this stuff from people. Make sure you let them know what you'd like to have.

I think other than those small things, you look really good. I also live in a 2 bedroom apartment and I will say this: I love not having a huge house to clean!!! :)

WonderfulStuff likes this.

#22 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, Nerdymom and all!!  I'll go back and add more notes to the registry letting people know if I'm feeling brand specific or not.  I guess I'll also add some soap and stuff.  There's lots *not* on my registry either because I don't want it or because I've already picked it up at a swap/thrift or something.  For instance, I found a Boppy this week at a thrift store and am having SIL make a funky cover for it.  

If I may critique the other registries -- here are my thoughts...

*I like how both of you have some lower priced items on your registry.  I think I'll try to find a few to add. 

*Some diaper companies offer free shipping (Abby's Lane) so that may be something to look into.

*I (personally) don't like Robeez (I think they're sweaty and tight and hard to get on and off...I'm constantly baffled by their popularity).  I LOVE Nowali booties for babies from NB-fully walking/playing.  The best style is the cable knit with the elastic over the front ankle.  Check my registry if you're interested.  

*Remember that when linking to your registry, it links your full name in case you're worried about that.  

*I have not personally tried the Nosefrida snot sucker but kept hearing how great it was so I added it to my registry 

Re: slings - I'm a ring sling gal.  I don't like the new patterns of Maya Wrap so I'm getting one used but I do highly recommend the Maya.  

Can anyone share the etiquette of registries if people are going to get something on my registry but not from the linked source.  Do you think they'll just let me (or SIL throwing a shower) know to remove something from the list?  How does all that work?   Also, what is the deal with showers/gifts for 2nd children?  I didn't have a shower with DD so it's not like I'm "milking" the shower thing and it HAS been 9 years so we're starting from scratch...but still I feel a little weird about showers/registry in general.  Wanna put my mind at ease?  

ETA:  I saw some good ideas on your registries:  Breast pads, solids food supplies (thought it seems so early to be thinking about solid food!!), wet bags...

P.s.  My DC found that sweet pea bunting outfit at Goodwill the other day!!  

On the subject of Robeez and baby footwear in general. I didn't even put my child in a pair of shoes until he was walking well enough to run around outside. And then I just put him in some sturdy Stride Rites with good ankle support and the most flexible sole I could find. I think baby shoes are over-rated in general. Of course my kid also has giant feet. At birth they were too long for the baby booties!! lol

As for the etiquette thing, I have no idea!! All the showers I've had or been to in the past, people buy off the registry, but if they buy it somewhere else they don't generally notify anyone. That's normally because they are shopping at teh very last minute. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfamMama View Post

This is a fun thread smile.gif I wasn't planning to do a registry at first, but since most family and friends are so far away, I thought maybe it would be good at all. Natural bath soaps, lotions, and toys, a toddler upright car seat, a couple warm sleepers (since this baby is completely opposite seasons from DS), and diapers and wipes are all that is on mine.

I know! I had my fair share of showers and gifts last time but it is so fun to look at everyone's lists! I've got my list of wants, but it's a list I'm keeping to myself. Just some sunbaby pocket diapers, two diaper pail liners and two diaper bag wetbags, a Didymos wrap, post-partum mama cloth, 4 nursing nightgowns, and a few decent nursing bras. When our tax return comes in I am going to have so much fun shopping!! lol

#23 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:Originally Posted by MamaChef View Post

As a second time Mom, here is my registry.  I have a total of 17 Aunts between our two families and if I dont have a registry we will be buried under clothes.  Since my first was a girl, I dont need anymore clothes beyond what is listed ;)

We do a combo of EC/ cloth hence all the water proof pads.. and I had a kiddo that cried in the car so Im totally trying pacis in the car this time if that is an issue!

If this was my first, the things Id add that we loved were - 2 miracle blankets, video monitor, bouncy chair, trip trap high chair, learning tower, moby wrap, linen ring sling, ergo, bouncy chair, boppy, american apparel lap tees, medela pump in style, additional diapering stuff

The only thing I have to say about your registry is that 1) I am so jealous of the pink! ;) and 2) the car seat protector pad. I've addressed why upthread, but basically it can interfere with the safety of the seat and are not recommended by carseat safety experts.

#24 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:

The only thing I have to say about your registry is that 1) I am so jealous of the pink! ;) and 2) the car seat protector pad. I've addressed why upthread, but basically it can interfere with the safety of the seat and are not recommended by carseat safety experts.

My husband cranks the seat in to a point that it doesnt wiggle in the least bit and we use latch.   Ive done the test of marking where the slack hits on the belt with the seat in and without and can honestly say we get the seat in to .25" from without the mat with absolutely no movement with the protector.  Ive had car seat safety techs tell me they cant recommend anything that is aftermarket, but that this is a test I should use if I wasnt satisifed with that answer ;)  Obviously everyone has to do what they are comfortable with but our carseat doesnt budge... just wanted to throw that out there for anyone that was thinking of using a seat protector.

Wonderfulstuff,

You could probably be totally set with half the number of covers you have.. even less.  The thing is, you are going to wash diapers every 2-3 days max.  So, youd have to have a super messy pooper to go through more then 6 of those PUL covers in 2-3 days.  If you did, you can rinse them and they dry really quick.  The wool you could probably have half of too.  Once I got my folds down or used more fitted diapers I only washed my wool every 7-10 days and that was because I wanted to.  I know lotsa moms that wash wool less if they alternate between several covers.  I had 4-5 wool covers total. You could totally have less snappis.. judging from the price, those have to be the 3 packs.  You really only need a couple of those.  3 max.  I bought two packs and still have one pack sealed and cloth diapered till DD was potty trained completely at 2.  Id really recommend only getting the first couple sizes max of anything so that you can change things up if they dont work for you. 

WonderfulStuff likes this.
#25 of 84 Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChef View Post

Quote:

My husband cranks the seat in to a point that it doesnt wiggle in the least bit and we use latch.   Ive done the test of marking where the slack hits on the belt with the seat in and without and can honestly say we get the seat in to .25" from without the mat with absolutely no movement with the protector.  Ive had car seat safety techs tell me they cant recommend anything that is aftermarket, but that this is a test I should use if I wasnt satisifed with that answer ;)  Obviously everyone has to do what they are comfortable with but our carseat doesnt budge... just wanted to throw that out there for anyone that was thinking of using a seat protector.

Wonderfulstuff,

You could probably be totally set with half the number of covers you have.. even less.  The thing is, you are going to wash diapers every 2-3 days max.  So, youd have to have a super messy pooper to go through more then 6 of those PUL covers in 2-3 days.  If you did, you can rinse them and they dry really quick.  The wool you could probably have half of too.  Once I got my folds down or used more fitted diapers I only washed my wool every 7-10 days and that was because I wanted to.  I know lotsa moms that wash wool less if they alternate between several covers.  I had 4-5 wool covers total. You could totally have less snappis.. judging from the price, those have to be the 3 packs.  You really only need a couple of those.  3 max.  I bought two packs and still have one pack sealed and cloth diapered till DD was potty trained completely at 2.  Id really recommend only getting the first couple sizes max of anything so that you can change things up if they dont work for you. 

Ok, I just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of that.

#26 of 84 Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 AM

Another quick note about ring slings -- I used one recently with my cousin's baby.  Knowing my cousin this was a "quality" cotton ring sling.  It had a trendy sort of modern floral pattern if that helps ID the brand.  Anyway, it may have just been new and not broken in but the tail did not slide through the rings right AT ALL.  You couldn't adjust the top rail, which to me is a huge advantage of ring slings -- and really the only thing that sets them apart from other carriers.  My point is that the Maya is good, I'm sure there are other good ones out there but the type of fabric matters a great deal.  

#27 of 84 Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Yay, thanks for this thread, NerdyMom! I haven't put together a registry yet but will def. post when I do, and in the meantime looking at these others will help me figure it all out.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#28 of 84 Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 AM

IdentityCrisisMama and anyone else interested in the nosefrida...

I got this instead and really like it, and it simply uses a tissue inside for its' filter.

babycomfynose

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#29 of 84 Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

IdentityCrisisMama and anyone else interested in the nosefrida...

I got this instead and really like it, and it simply uses a tissue inside for its' filter.

babycomfynose

Cool, I updated my registry with this instead of the Nosefrida.  Good tip, thanks!  

#30 of 84 Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 AM

So, my thoughts on multiple things I noticed in different lists...

• Earthmama angel baby shampoo smells horrible – prefer burts bees – they have an unscented version out now that I just bought at target. Still use it on my 4 year old and 2 year old.
  • This swaddler looks excellent(tested it on a preemie sized baby doll and fits good with room to grow) Much better than swaddleme.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/22402870/happy-2011-sale-bogo-infant-swaddling

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page