Brilliant... Jury duty @ 31 weeks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-20-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I got a summons in the mail today for jury duty... When I will be 31 weeks. I thought about trying to get out of it but they will only postpone it and I would rather go now than with a baby. It says it will be up to 2 week starting Feb 14. It's a pita because I had booked a midwife appt, dentist appt and doctors appts for my kids that week on tues and wed. Oh well. C'est la vie I guess.

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

#2 of 12 Old 01-20-2011, 03:08 PM

yeah- that sucks.  DH just got a jury summons, but I"ve never gotten one (knock on wood!)  Hopefully your number doesn't get called but I guess you have to cancel all of your stuff anyway just in case it does. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#3 of 12 Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 PM

What state are you in?  I don't know the differences between states--obviously, but in Colorado you can basically deny being a juror once a year.  Reasons were like Medical, Vacation, etc. or Personal Reasons.  You were allowed to become exempt once in a 365 day period. 

Do I live in a lucky state? Anyone else have that? 

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#4 of 12 Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
When I was called a while back, I sent a letter detailing why it would be a hardship for me to attend (sole caregiver of a 2yo with no backup care options and no reliable transportation) and said I would certainly do it when I was in a better position to and they excused me. If I had access to a car and could get cheap/free child care, I'd much rather do it while pg than with a small bfing baby.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#5 of 12 Old 01-21-2011, 01:13 PM

I am pretty sure if you can get out of it now, you will be able to it again when the baby is here. Most states excuse breastfeeding and SAHM moms with small children when you are a primary caregiver.
#6 of 12 Old 01-21-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm not sure what the rules are here. It says if I have a medical or personal reason I can postpone it, it doesn't say anything about completely getting out of it being an option. I Plan to take 9-12 months off work on mat leave. I would rather donut preg and when bfing. Also, I get paid for it now and wouldn't on mat leave. My employer has to give me full pay for the duration.

I'm not keen on doing it but better now than later.

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

#7 of 12 Old 01-22-2011, 12:10 PM

If you can't get out of it, here are some tips for making it short and sweet. I've been called 3 times for duty, the first time I made it into the jury selection round 1, the second time I was dismissed before the day even arrived (you check in online, etc.) and the third time I'd just had a baby so I was exempted. Here is what I learned...

Tip one: for the waiting, Take a pillow to sit on, and something to entertain you.

Tip two: If you don't get dismissed after sitting for a day or two (or the first morning...it's happened!!!) and you actually get to a selection for a case...ACT SMART. They HATE smart people. They will ask questions, possibly about your reading habits and so forth - include intelligent material in your answers. They hate well-read, well-informed jurors. I wish that wasn't the case but I noticed it and my brother who had jury duty RIGHT after I did noticed the same thing...everyone who gives intelligent answers gets dismissed, and the ones who sound like village idiots stay. If I were doing it again and didn't have the toddler/baby thing to deal with...I would TOTALLY play the fool just to get picked. I really want to be on a case, lol!!! My brother had JUST turned 18 when he got picked and he actually made it onto a jury for a rape and battery case. I'm pretty sure his age was a big factor in being selected. Young and stupid can be swayed and are less likely to keep track of facts.

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#8 of 12 Old 01-22-2011, 05:59 PM

I'm in Ontario too wave.gif.  If you go in on the day of selection and explain things to the judge they should be reasonable.  I remember my dad managed to get things postponed (and then eventually excused) from jury duty but I really can't remember what the exact reasonings were.

#9 of 12 Old 01-25-2011, 10:21 AM

I'm from Ontario and just got a jury summons letter earlier this month, too! Mine was for January 31st. I called the court house phone number on the paper they sent and talked to a woman in the jury selection area (or something) and she gave me an e-mail address so I could write a letter asking to be excused from jury duty. I actually got so hormonal on the phone that I was crying and needed a minute to calm myself so she'd know what the heck I was saying. She said I totally had enough reason to ask to be excused (mind you, I have 3 young kids & 1 on the way, I don't drive and I'd need my mom to take the day off work to watch them, which she wouldn't be paid to do, but I expected that to be a 'too bad' type thing since it says you need to make babysitter plans) so I wrote the e-mail and got excused.

I do wonder, though, how many times you can postpone it before they make you go anyway. I'm worried that even though I'm a SAHM, I'll ALWAYS have at least 1 young kiddo, and we're homeschooling so it would suck to take 2 weeks off school for jury duty, along with shoving 5 or so kids onto any random daycare that I've never spoken to before.

Meg
SAH, homeschooling mum to G (05/06), R (03/08), DK (04/09) + S (04/11)!!
Expecting #5, K, mid-November 2014! Team Green!
#10 of 12 Old 01-29-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by three&me View Post

I'm from Ontario and just got a jury summons letter earlier this month, too! Mine was for January 31st. I called the court house phone number on the paper they sent and talked to a woman in the jury selection area (or something) and she gave me an e-mail address so I could write a letter asking to be excused from jury duty. I actually got so hormonal on the phone that I was crying and needed a minute to calm myself so she'd know what the heck I was saying. She said I totally had enough reason to ask to be excused (mind you, I have 3 young kids & 1 on the way, I don't drive and I'd need my mom to take the day off work to watch them, which she wouldn't be paid to do, but I expected that to be a 'too bad' type thing since it says you need to make babysitter plans) so I wrote the e-mail and got excused.

I do wonder, though, how many times you can postpone it before they make you go anyway. I'm worried that even though I'm a SAHM, I'll ALWAYS have at least 1 young kiddo, and we're homeschooling so it would suck to take 2 weeks off school for jury duty, along with shoving 5 or so kids onto any random daycare that I've never spoken to before.

My understanding is that you can be exempt indefinitely if you are the primary caregiver of a young child.  My mom was called a couple years ago shortly after my son was born.  She called & explained that her daughter who had just given birth needed her.  She was never called again.  Now she may still be, but it doesn't seem too likely that it will be anytime soon.  I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#11 of 12 Old 02-19-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your insight and advice.  I thought I'd post an update to let you all know how it worked out.  I went last week for my jury summons and the case was for a sexual assault on two teenage girls (I wanted to puke when they read the accusations).  I knew immediately they wouldn't pick me (being a nurse AND being pregnant... there was no way!).  So that wasn't a problem.  They said there were two other cases which were short and I would have been fine with doing those, however they were resolved by the time the jury for the first case was picked.  They told me I had to come back the following week (on Tuesday as Monday is Family Day).  I wasn't happy about that as I had a doctor's appointment scheduled that morning that I would miss.

Anyway, I decided to fax in a letter to try and be excused on Monday afternoon.  I didn't do this initially because I was afraid of being deferred.  In my letter I said that I'm hypothyroid and consequently very tired and caring for my two children alone (my DP is living in the USA studying until around the time baby is born).  I said I didn't want to be deferred, I wanted to be excused as I would be breastfeeding my baby for at least 2 years as I did with my older children.  I also said it would be very hard for me to attend jury duty after baby is born because my DP and I have no family in Canada, so no one to leave baby with and I won't put him in daycare until he's 1 yr old when I return to work after maternity leave.

I received a call from the court house on Wednesday saying I was completely excused from jury duty... yay!  That made me happy.  I saw my dr the same day and I'm now off work on a fully paid sick leave until baby is born (thyroid related).  So now I can relax... my stresses are gone :)

#12 of 12 Old 02-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Glad that all worked out for you.

I'm a not a good jury person.  BS and graduate school in biochemistry and genetics will do that.  I've been called a couple of times, but never have to show up.  My state lets you check by computer and I'm always unselected.

I've always dreaded DH getting the notice.  He is the primary child care provider

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page