Anyone else living in a small apartment and worried about fitting in baby stuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted a similar thread in the "Mindful Home" forum but I'm anxious to know--who else lives in a small space? What are you doing to make way for baby stuff? How are you planning to fit everything--storage ideas?

People are already handing stuff down to us and I'm starting to panic about where to fit it all. We're trying to sort through and declutter but it's going to be a tight squeeze.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#2 of 27 Old 01-23-2011, 02:34 PM

We don't live in an apartment but we have a fairly small two bedroom house and this will be our fourth. Maximizing closet space is a big deal. Get organizers, etc. Be realistic about how many clothes you need. Now babies do poop and pee a lot and go through a lot of clothes but don't go overboard. We will have one dresser for baby things, use a desk as a changing table and maximize the space under the crib/bassinet. Decide which equipment is most important. I'll have a travel swing (love them because you can drag them all over the house) and a bassinet for baby equipment at first. I had 3 showers with my first and I had TOO much stuff. It was insane and stressful since we lived in a small apartment then. I've learned that less is more!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#3 of 27 Old 01-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
When DS was born, we were in a one-bedroom (~600 sq ft) apartment and we turned down most of the baby accouterments we were offered due to space limitations. We didn't have a bouncer, exersaucer, swing, cradle/bassinet, crib/cosleeper, dresser, changing table, or stroller at all for the nine months we lived there after he was born. We did use a moses basket for the first few months and a doorway jumper once he was old enough for one, but we borrowed them from a friend, so as soon as we weren't using them regularly, they were returned. The one baby thing we had taking up space was our baby hammock which we loved because it took the place of a crib/bassinet/cradle and a bouncer/swing.

The way we saved space then was having lots of stuff that could be stored away when not in use so our precious space could be used for multiple purposes. Our king-sized mattress rolled up out of the way when we wanted more space in the bedroom. Our dining table folded up so it was only out around meal times and was close to the floor so we didn't have any dining chairs.

Other than having as little baby stuff as possible and getting fold-up or compact versions of what you do have, storage ideas will depend on your space. If your bed is not on the floor, lift it a little higher if possible and then make the best use of the space underneath as possible with organizers/tubs/drawers. I second what Stacey said about making sure any closets or other storage spaces are being used as efficiently as possible.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#4 of 27 Old 01-23-2011, 04:01 PM

We have a tiny, one-BR apartment, and I definitely worry about this.  We have three closets and a attic crawl space, and they're all pretty full.  We bought one set of shelves from Ikea and put them at the foot of our bed (like a room divider) for baby stuff, and I plan to get a high, long shelf for one wall in our bedroom to go over two doors (nothing else will really fit on that wall because of the doors), but otherwise I'm not sure we can create much more space without looking completely cluttered.  What we're trying to do is avoid big items (stroller, crib, changing table, etc.) as long as we possibly can.  And we're being as pared-down as we can be.  Gifts that don't work for us need to go straight to the "donate" or "return" pile.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#5 of 27 Old 01-23-2011, 05:31 PM

I thought of a few more things as I was sweeping. Maximize ALL the space you have-not just closets. Think about what furniture you use and how it's placed in the rooms. We were due for a new couch anyway so we bought a sectional that has much more seating than the couch and recliners we were using freeing up extra space in the room. We also moved a small desk from the living room to the bedroom to use as a changing table since it wasn't really being used in the living room. We also have a wide L-shaped hallway that would be wasted space. We use the end of the hallway to store my 3yo's toys and a bookshelf.

Also-declutter big time before the baby comes! I've spent the last 3 weeks cleaning out closets and going room by room getting rid of anything that doesn't belong or isn't being used!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#6 of 27 Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 PM

I lived in a small apartment when I had my firstborn. I had a co sleeper with storage space under it that I used to store the receiving blankets. I hung up his clothes in the closet with mine and cleared out a dresser drawer for the stuff that didn't hang up. I used a bouncy seat that I moved around the house depending on what I was doing and a swing that basically took up a ton of space in the middle of the living room. That's about it. It's funny because that small apartment felt less crowded than the 3,000 sq. foot house I have now because I worked so hard to minimize the amount of stuff I acquired.. It's true that the more space we get, the more we fill it up.

ETA: I never bothered with a changing table. Instead, I bought a large basket with a handle and filled it with diapers, wipes, rash creams (I admit, I used sposies blush.gif) and toted that to where ever I changed the baby. I would just put down a blanket on the floor, couch or bed and change him on that. Any gifts that were not needed were immediately returned if possible or I sold them on ebay. Since I really didn't have storage space, I sold any outgrown clothing immediately and that also gave me funds to buy his new clothing. If you have space for a pack n play, some versions come with a changing area on top that has space for wipes/diapers on it.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#7 of 27 Old 01-23-2011, 07:32 PM

Yes! Declutter! And LOL! Small space is actually a great thing! Get rid of almost everything you don't really need! And I would try to get seating more on the floor because baby will be there and toddlers.. we have a sheep skin and floor pillows, one futon couch and 2 ottomans (the ottomans could go). I don't even feel like we need a dining room table most days.. I perfer a large vinatge sheet (with flowers) on the floor for meal times because it is so much nicer to clean up and everyone lays on us and eats.. walks away.. comes back.. we are relaxed. 

Do NOT grab everything people give you! Toys are just kind of weird and useless until 2.. they love spoons and kitchen stuff. The Montessori peeps really know their baby toys.. and ETSY! 

You can have a large shelving thing (bookcase or metroshelving) with tons of baby stuff anywhere, just hang a vintage pretty sheet over this. and even your entertainment system (although just have the tv on the wall and Loooooveee it!) My son never looked under the sheets for a long time and then it turned into peek aboo. The bathroom stuff finally all went on the wall very high in the bathroom... DH made a shelf that wrapped around the room over the toilet. But any shelf up high will do. We store our stuff in baskets. Those natural looking baskets are amazing! All over the house.. on the fridge.. for the toys.. just everywhere and it finally just blends nicely. The co-sleeper, ehh. son hated it, he went inbetwen us. and then we got a futon for the floor and daughter was in between us. then I was on the floor tucking in and so forth. The bed was shoved against the wall so no roll offs. 

Good Luck! A small place means you will have less looking around for baby..those things for baby in the home are useless! She needs very, very little! A little floor mattress that is very low is the best thing for naps, play, nursing and then a very thick blanket for kitchen work. A carrier.. but the seats, well maybe one chair.. but not really. I would just love that you have less to clean and more time to play! Congratulations! 

Oh and check out the movie "babies" or else a book at the bookstore about families in other cultures. But seriously on the shelving with sheet... best thing ever.. and for clothing... well easy now but when they get a wee older, a shelving is best for them to understand dressing them selves with a few out fits for choice, 1 hair brush, 1 hat, 1 shoes..etc and the rest can go anywhere close by!

I live in 1100 and there are no walls and big empty spaces to play :) We have a front porch room that is closed up.. literally all of personal stuff (art, clothes, toys) is in there and some in the living room and kitchen.

How many sq ft? 

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#8 of 27 Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 PM

Boobs, diapers and a car seat (if you drive or ride).   Those are the needs.  The rest is just fluff.  Stick with 7-10 outfits and the basics.  Babies don't know if you have everything or nothing.  People may mean well but if it stresses you out tell them thanks but we're full in our space!

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#9 of 27 Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresmama View Post

Good Luck! A small place means you will have less looking around for baby..those things for baby in the home are useless! She needs very, very little! A little floor mattress that is very low is the best thing for naps, play, nursing and then a very thick blanket for kitchen work. A carrier.. but the seats, well maybe one chair.. but not really. I would just love that you have less to clean and more time to play! Congratulations! 

I totally agree! I am about ready to go insane with the amount of toys my children have accumulated and the amount of time it takes me to clean them all up each day! I miss the days when it was so simple with just my DS and his small little basket of toys. My advice is to buy some beautiful wooden toys and skip the mounds of plastic battery operated stuff.

Oh! I almost forgot. Fisher Price makes the space saving high chair  with no legs that attaches to a regular dining chair and takes up so little room compared to a full size high chair. I love that thing. :)

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#10 of 27 Old 01-23-2011, 07:51 PM

Oh and room darkening curtains are a must! Where ever naps will happen or where you want them to happen (eyes on baby is the best!)

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#11 of 27 Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'sMama View Post

Boobs, diapers and a car seat (if you drive or ride).   Those are the needs.  The rest is just fluff.  Stick with 7-10 outfits and the basics.  Babies don't know if you have everything or nothing.  People may mean well but if it stresses you out tell them thanks but we're full in our space!

Great sentiment, but we don't have a washer/dryer in the building, so I'm definitely going to need more than 7-10 outfits.  I'm not willing to do laundry that often.  ;)

A lot of these ideas will work for me.  But that storage space under the bed is precious, so I know I'll never have a mattress on the floor.  Ditto the wall-space (so I won't be pushing one long edge of my bed up against the wall).   We only have 600-700 square feet, by my estimate.  We don't even have room for a bathtub!

I do have shelves with a curtain over them, and it's a huge relief. 

#12 of 27 Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 AM

we're nyc apartment dwellers so as you can imagine space is not something we have the luxery of :(

three words that have made this bearable: THE CONTAINER STORE

anyone struggling to come up with storage solutions should live in this place. its made making space for baby, ten times easier.

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#13 of 27 Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

You wonderful women, these suggestions are sooooo helpful! I'm not sure how many square feet we have here--I'm guessing 900 or so, which actually makes me feel like we are relatively fortunate! We have two bedrooms, but the apartment is old and has a somewhat funky layout so it makes it more difficult to fit furniture efficiently. We actually have a decent amount of built-in storage space, but the problem is a lot of it is already crammed with stuff. So I think the first step for us will definitely be to declutter.

I feel way better because yesterday we tackled one of the closets. It was crammed with boxes we still hadn't unpacked from our move almost three years ago. We finally found our iron, lol. Now the closet is almost clear--there is space to hang baby's clothes and also perhaps some hanging shelves or storage bins.

Question--my cousin is handing down both a full-size Arms' Reach cosleeper and a pack n' play. Don't the cosleepers often convert to playards? So if you had to chose one, which would you stick with? We are planning on using the cosleeper until baby outgrows it and then switching to a minicrib in our room.

Also, I read somewhere that leg extenders for bed frames are great because they make more room for under the bed storage space.

Thanks for the word on clothes. I have already received TWO garbage bags full of infant clothes (hand me downs) so I will have to weed them out. I have heard that it's hard to have too many onesies, since babies get them dirty so often anyway, so that's mostly what I've been hanging on to. In your experience, is that true about the onesies? That you need lots and lots of them?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#14 of 27 Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

Thanks for the word on clothes. I have already received TWO garbage bags full of infant clothes (hand me downs) so I will have to weed them out. I have heard that it's hard to have too many onesies, since babies get them dirty so often anyway, so that's mostly what I've been hanging on to. In your experience, is that true about the onesies? That you need lots and lots of them?

I would also add that I have more onsies than regular outfits (Idk about saying that you can never have too many...lol) because I keep ALL of the children I have ever nannied or had in them all the time. The stress of blowouts is cut by  90%, because it's mostly contained inside the onsie, often - not always - leaving the main outfit still wearable. Now here's why I keep so many, though...I have no hesitation cutting the onsie off the baby when there is a blowout...unless it's a fav that I just can't part with. To me, the sacrifice of a onsie that will end up massively stained anyway, for not having to pull all that poop over the head and in the hair is WELL worth it ;)

Wife, 27, to DH, 33, and Mama to DS1 Josiah - 8/09, DS2 James - 3/11, 10 angel babies, 3 foster children, and one adorable ALMOST ADOPTED son - 5/05 

#15 of 27 Old 01-24-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

That's a great idea--some super cute onesies I would feel bad about cutting into but I also got a bunch of the cheapie plain white ones--with blowouts in mind (ick) I think I will hang onto those just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfamMama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

I would also add that I have more onsies than regular outfits (Idk about saying that you can never have too many...lol) because I keep ALL of the children I have ever nannied or had in them all the time. The stress of blowouts is cut by  90%, because it's mostly contained inside the onsie, often - not always - leaving the main outfit still wearable. Now here's why I keep so many, though...I have no hesitation cutting the onsie off the baby when there is a blowout...unless it's a fav that I just can't part with. To me, the sacrifice of a onsie that will end up massively stained anyway, for not having to pull all that poop over the head and in the hair is WELL worth it ;)

#16 of 27 Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 PM

Honey, oh boy do I feel your pain!! When we had DS we were living in one bedroom at my parents. This is what we had (keep in mind we had no money for specialized storage so we made do or went without):

n15613701_35437355_6197.jpg

n15613701_35437356_6467.jpg

n15613701_35437357_6720.jpg

I had about 14 outfits in newborn-6months plus extra onesies for layering (winter baby) and gowns for night time, a whole ton of receiving blankets (for spit up cloths and diaper changing mats), some diapers, a very few choice toys, towels, wash cloths, baby wash, warm blankets, a Boppy, a My Brest Friend, a cosleeper, a ring sling, a Moby, and a very compact folding swing. This was pretty much all he had until he was 8 months old and we moved to our current place, which is a 2 bedroom apartment that is not quite 1,000 sq feet.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#17 of 27 Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Also - the subject of clothes. I'm a clothes minimalist for the whole family. It is so much easier to keep up with laundry if everyone has a limited number of clothes. For our new baby I will probably have mostly tshirts and baby legs since we are doing cloth diapers. You might find a onesie doesn't fasten well over a big fluffy cloth diaper butt, plus your diapers are so cute you want to show them off, right?! I like the gowns for nighttime, and a few nice looking outfits for going nice places. Plan to change your baby's outfit twice a day, plus night time. So multiply that number by the number of days you typically go between washings. Add two days grace. = the number of outfits you need. For my baby I plan to wash every week, so I'll have 14-20 every day outfits plus two nice "Sunday" outfits.

Don't be afraid to tell people you don't have the space. Don't be afraid to pass on things you cannot use. Just tell anyone who asks that you passed that along to bless someone else, since you didn't need it. People like to think of their used junk as blessing someone else.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#18 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 AM

I am feeling better about the amount of space we have too. A two bedroom with just over 1000sf. Seems tiny to most people but I love less housework. I have enough to do keeping the house clean with 5 people (soon to be 6) living in a smaller house. Plus we're home a lot since we homeschool so there is always lots of mess! I'm learning to be a minimalist big time. It just cuts the stress of having too much stuff in the house!

#19 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Nerdymom, thanks for posting pics!  Here's one of our bed/shelves/cradle setup.  These shelves are supposed to be ONLY for baby stuff, but until the kid is born in March/April, we're also keeping some scarves, hats, and gloves in there, too.  ;)

5265683113_14b8ef8f11(2).jpg

To the right of our bed, but not visible in this picture, is a large, flat dresser.  We'll put a changing pad on there. 

#20 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

We live in an rv full time with a family of 4 (5 when baby arrives) so we're definitely having to get more and more minimalist. I don't have a baby space yet because we're loaning the inlaws camper right now and will be getting our own in about 3 wks. We have found the camper we will be getting - widely available same layout camper in our price range. It's small 32' with one slide so about 250sq ft definitely small lol.gif. I'm just starting to plan our layout for the place as we'll be remodeling the space. I'm not sure yet where/how I'm going to put the baby stuff until I plan the full layout of where everything is going to go. The plan though is to get a travel lite size playard with bassinet for the baby to sleep/play in. I want a moses basket to keep in our bed like a little cosleeper. Car seat but that will stay in the car. I do have a bouncer and a travel size swing. All baby stuff will be minimal and I've got to figure out the best storage solution/spot for everything but there won't be much. I do plan to have a washer/dryer in the new rv though so I will be able to run a load of clothes as needed to cut down on laundry. We're pretty minimal (and working on getting more so) because of such limited space. I have made a baby list and been cutting down/weeding out what I want. We don't have anything left from our first two so we're having to collect from scratch but that could be a good thing since I'm only buying what I feel we really want/need. Maybe we could start another thread to share our own baby lists? Comparing lists might help some of us remember things we'd forgotten or reassess what we really need.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#21 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Neuromancer and Nerdymom--thanks for the pictures! Nerdymom--all our closets look like that right now, except the one I just cleared out for the baby. I plan to hit the others sometime in the next couple months. Neuromancer--your apartment is super cute--I like that big shelving unit. Wouldn't fit in our bedroom, I don't think, but it looks like it makes a lot of sense in your space.

Crazyms--250  sf? WOW. I bow down to you.

I'm gonna try to post some pictures sometime soon--maybe when the setup is a bit more ironed out.

#22 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 PM

We have a 100 year old farm house with about 600 sq feet.  We're expecting our 3rd baby.  Our biggest change this time around has been to swap out our standard bed for 2 twins bunked for hubby and me.  (we sleep better separately anyways) and when the new baby is big enough to go into the "kids" room we will get the two older kids bunks as well.  We also have a pull behind trailer parked out back that we use as storage for seasonal items.  I change out the clothes at the beginning of every season and put the bins back in the trailer.  We had one to travel cross country a few years ago when we could afford it!  Storage options outside of the house are so nice.  I also keep all the clothes that the kids have grown out of in bins in the trailer marked with the sizes for easy grabbing when we need a new size for the little one.  Old toys get put out there, as well as all my canning supplies. 

I've learned to utilize the upward space with shelving.  Most shelving systems can be pretty inexpensive at the hardware store or IKEA.  Just be sure to know what you plan on putting on your shelves before choosing the system because you want to be sure your walls can handle the weight.  I like to use the space above windows for shelves. 

My biggest tips are:

1. organization

2. minimalize

3. use upward spaces (shelving/bunks/etc)

I hope that helps.  I'll try to remember pictures the next time I get on!

#23 of 27 Old 01-26-2011, 01:48 AM

Okay.. as some one that may or may not be RVing.. I have also dreamed! The thing that I thought of.. but never saw in a design.. and might totally be nonsense.. but was to have bunks to make more room.. like the old airstreams that folded down.. can be for bed but also can just be for storage. I also had a crazy idea of skipping the couch and having a futon with a sheep skin on top of it and a few, or 4 love sacs.. this way we could take the sheep skin out on to a camp site (sorry if you are vegan.. I understand.. just so warm!) and also have it underneath the bed sheet for extra warmth and comfort.. the Love sacs (better than bean bags) can be removed for seating outside too and moved around.. but not sure if there would be 4 or just 2. And the futon with pillows.. just seems more like an open space to play, sit in circles, etc. and have a small coffee table that is in a circle that can be used for dining, over in the area, and also taken outside, instead of a really formal table and chairs. I think what inspired me was my Moroccan friend (well LDS/Utah, but married to a Moroccan). She is so into simple living and visits her family a lot. She has one very large dish that is kind of like a platter but also looks deep like a bowl, they sit around, on floor pillows around small table, and spoon the food out of a few piles on one of these plates with bread! They wash the cookware and this one plate! I also find that the open space is less limiting for play, yoga.. hanging out and cuddling.. I can totally see how hanging cabinets would win me over, and also thinking that since one wall or side is without the pull out bed couch, that maybe that would be the place for a whole ton of cubbies with doors.. just plop a floor pillow on it's side and you have a back rest.. your feet are already out straight like they would be for an ottoman. Not like you are in danger of being lazy in an RV life! But the up and down from the floor is better. Also the whole "floor" layout is great for babies.. they don't bump, fall off, climb anything! They don't need a high chair, they just begin using the table to help them stand and as a play table at toddler age. When we got into Montessoir (which led to unschooling and Waldorf inspired more) I was excited to get a floor futon/play area and it has been a very versitale piece! I understand the play pen.. because of the steps out of the RV, but I loved, loved it, when Athena started crawling out of her naps! She would crawl out of the room (bam, bam, bam on the wood floor) and just be strectching and smiling hello! It was always large enough for me to cuddle with her before she went to sleep and we played on it all the time as a family with her (full size). Those things are just not recommended enough! 

So I guess I was thinking that there would be no chairs, dinette or couch and the beds in the back would be either a queen with a twin bunk over the head, or two bunks on either side... 

Oh and here is my house.. 

http://synd.trulia.com/property/1062866783-2165-10th-Ave-A-Honolulu-HI-96816

with all the pics because it was for sale.. is now sold.. still unsure about the RVing thing.. I think it is going to happen but I am not ready to go back to FOTR yet! My DH kind of pulled out and it is now a 8-9 month goal to be on the road and I think we are thinking of going on a Class B.. but maybe not even.. Thinking of also just getting a mini van, camping and finding little homes to rent along the way.. not sure. not sure.. ahh! I hope the divine just lands us in the right thing! Also.. it is Hawaii and I have never been or seen an RV up close.. been here ten years.. 

We have a really neat home. I wasn't sure I was going to love it... but without walls I am so aware of my kids.. they have tons of space to play and the light and air is everywhere! we also have a grand piano but that wasn't in any angles for the sale. You just can't see the family closet.. the coolest thing.. here it is.. not in it's glory because it is night time and my flash is out, but the best I can do.. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

put those together with the others... :) 

#24 of 27 Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 AM

I really admire you ladies who are RVing or considering it. I'm a Taurus and while I don't put much stock in the zodiac, I am pretty much your most typical Taurus. I really need to feel grounded and secure. The only reason I'm able to deal with moving so often for the military is that there is such great job security for DH. The idea of living in a traveling home is very stressful, not the small quarters, but the nomadic lifestyle! But I admire those of you who do it, it must be an adventure!

Also, keep in mind those are old pics, before we had DS. When we get our new bed I will post pictures of our current living space. We have just under 1000 sq feet and we'll be here for at least another year and a half. I'm not moving without PCS orders! I'm so sick of packing and schlepping boxes. We moved 4 times in 4 years on our own and when we settled in here I told DH I wasn't going anywhere until the military moved us out.

#25 of 27 Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I understand being intimidated by traveling instead of having a secure steady home. I really admire the folks that can FTOR traveling just to do it. I couldn't. I think it would make me nuts. I think the only reason I'm comfortable traveling in the RV like we are is because it's for dh's job so not that different from military style. We just go where the job sent him and we're usually in a spot for a few months at a time could even be for a couple of years. If it wasn't for the job stability I doubt I'd survive. I do get stir crazy though when we're coming up on a change because of the uncertainty. We've been in our current location since Oct. and are about to move. As it looks we'll be in the next job for about 3 mos and then could stay there for 2 years or may be moved to another job for I think a year. I don't like not knowing for sure but at least he'll be working regardless. It's definitely a change though.

Using the up/down space really helps in a small area and minimizing! I really like that the new camper will have a full size fridge though. That will be a big help for me and I've told dh that a washer/dryer in the camper is a must. It really helps to minimize when I can clean things as needed without a hassle. I also can't stand laundry in this small of a space so being able to wash each load as it comes would be amazing. No more laundry baskets/hampers taking up floor space since clothes can go from body to washer/dryer to shelf. Ahhh I can't wait.

greenacresmama - I agree with tossing the couch if you do it and are okay with that. I have decided to throw out the couch in the new camper when we get it. The couch and dinette in that one are in the slide. I'm going to replace the couch with bunks for the kids. We can sit on the beds to watch tv so who needs a couch? It'll save space for us. We're going to build the bunks for the kids with a little shelf/storage area to one end so they can keep their stuff. The bottom bunk is going to be raised enough that a small trundle can go underneath. The trundle is going to be used for storage for now and then the plan (at least for now) is to let that be the baby's bunk when (s)he outgrows the small playard. I've got some of the large playsilks that I'm going to dye and hang like curtains around their beds so they can have some privacy and their own little space too.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#26 of 27 Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 PM

Those pics are so lovely. I am a horrible housekeeper at the moment - though working on it. I've lived in my in-laws spare room for 2 months with a family of 4 (1 a newborn at the time.) DS2 (newbie) slept with us in the full sized bed and DS1 slept in a travel sized crib at the end of the bed. (He was 2.)

We only had diapers and some clothes for all of us and it worked out. 

We moved into a 2 bedroom apartment shortly after that and I felt like we had a huge place. I think it was like 900 sq ft max. 

We moved to another 2 bedroom later after having accumulated some more stuff and it was pretty tight but still worked. We now live in a 3 bedroom but only 1000 square feet living space. It seems big enough to me though. 

So, I recommend limited baby gear. Only the needed stuff. At first - an infant seat/bouncy seat. A swing isn't necessary although I actually have a swing that the seat comes out and it just stays as a regular infant seat, but I found DS2 preferred to just hang out in the seat over swinging. Also, my kids have both loved either an activity center or jumperoo. My favorite is the jumperoo. Anyway, I am not a huge help but I can tell you it is all doable. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#27 of 27 Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 AM

We're soon to be 5 in an RV too!  We're in the process of moving out of our 1400 sq ft house into the 22 ft (176 sq ft including engine and drivers seat) motorhome.  We're sleeping in it, but not cooking in it yet, since the big convenient kitchen is just a few yards away!  But we'll be in it fulltime by the time baby arrives.

Luckily, we already don't want baby stuff.  I agree with those who said toys are pointless for babies.  The world is their toy!  We'll co-sleep, and I want to hang a baby hammock over the bed too so I have the option of putting baby in the hammock hovering nearby.  That'll free up some space in our full size bed, if it works out, but baby will still be within arms reach for all that nursing.

Six year old and 14 month old are sharing the not-quite-twin sized bed that the dinette folds into.  This is awesome because until we started sleeping in the RV this week, the little one was still in our bed and I knew I needed to move her (on account of she won't fit in our bed in the RV).  It's gone beautifully.  She still wakes at night and I go sooth or nurse her because with 176 sq ft, it's pretty much all convenient to every other place!

We have never used a stroller.  We had a donated swing for baby #1 but didn't use it so we don't do that anymore.  We had a bouncy seat but it was unnecessary so we don't do that anymore.  When the new baby is old enough, we'll probably get a high chair seat that clips to the end of the dinette table since it seats four and baby makes five!  I don't dress babies in clothes unless I need to, so that keeps the wardrobe down.  I found that a hanging shoe storage device in the closet has cubbies just the right size for tiny baby clothes. 

We won't have a washer/dryer either, so I'm going to use flat diapers, which take up less space and will do double duty for newborn and toddler.  We also EC, which reduces a lot of diapers/laundry.  We don't use bottles or baby food (baby starts eating regular meals when ready) so that's a whole space saver too.

My weary pregnant self is so eager to be done with this house and all the stuff in it.  I just don't have time to take care of it AND my children!

I'll be posting about how we fit our whole family into the motorhome on my new blog, if you're interested to follow it: www.freerangedreams.com 

Closet space post coming soon ;-)

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page