Checking in with homebirth mamas - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh and most people still think I am going to a birth center, including family.  My mom asked where and who would be there besides DH, I told her "where" and said the midwife, assistant, doula would be there.  She said she would like to be there but would respect my wishes, but she WILL be coming over once I am home.  yikes2.gif  Guess who will NOT be getting a call any time soon after the birth.  Her entitlement just shocks us.  I am not close to her, I have no idea what makes her think I would want her at the birth or showing up unannounced when she wants.  Besides lying about the location, is it any wonder why I told her a due date of May 1, when I'm actually due the 9th? demon.gif

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#32 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 PM

We're having a homebirth here too!  I need to make it 37 weeks which is just 2 weeks away thank goodness.  My baby has dropped, lots of contractions (which I did with DS as well) and tired.  I get random spurts of hectic energy and have been a nesting fiend.  lol

We have only told my in laws that we're delivering at home.  My rents and the rest of the family think hospital lol. It's just much better that way because it would only make them nervous.  They tend to be more mainstream in that manner.  At the end of the day, it's up to DH and I, but I don't want to deal with the extra stress so it's just better that it's not mentioned.  Other people know and are totally cool with it. 

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#33 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

My transfer plan, btw, mostly consists of desires surrounding a c/s, to the extent they can be honored. I too don't anticipate transferring for anything but a c/s.

I got the details on the birth kit and will go ahead and order everything. I don't care for the pink and blue hospital striped hats, so I'm not sure if that is the kind that is included or what.  Obviously I can throw a different one in the oven packet that I'll need to get ready.

I had to choose between two tubs, La Bassine and a bigger green one with a lid. I opted for the smaller one, no lid. Any reason I might regret that? Both are the soft inflatable kind as compared to the Aqua Doula, and I'm renting from our student midwife.

I figured out something today. I've been feeling great with regard to pelvic soreness and figured out why - I've hardly spent much time in the car in the last several days.  Today I had an hour roundtrip errand to do and feel like I am waddling now. Felt limber and really good yesterday!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#34 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Dermoplast is a great idea! We had our DS at home, and I had spent so much time planning for the birth, and for the baby, that I was really not prepared for anything regarding post partum recovery for myself. Of course, he was my first baby, so I really didn't know what to expect as much. This time I'm planning on getting the dermoplast, witchhazel, cotton balls, and long pads that I can soak with witch hazel, and maybe freeze them. I also plan to have some pull-up depends to wear for the post partum bleeding and discharge; so much easier to manage postpartum then pads, IMO. We have everything we need for the homebirth, except I want to get some electrolyte drinks, and some honey sticks. All the other stuff, we have. Oh, except for the birthing kit that our MW will bring with her next week for our home visit. I do need to get it all gathered together into a box so that we have easy access to it. And we need to pull out our inflatable birthing tub from DS's birth and get it sanitized from sitting in storage. Hopefully I will have time to do all that, as I am already 36 weeks. I can't believe it's all getting so close already!

Melissa Wife to DHpartners.gif, Mom to DSbouncy.gif (3 y.o.) and DD wave.gif (infant) We are a homebirthing, no circ, select and delay vax, cosleeping, full-term breastfeeding happy family!

#35 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

My transfer plan, btw, mostly consists of desires surrounding a c/s, to the extent they can be honored. I too don't anticipate transferring for anything but a c/s.

Oh, I get it now.  I read your birth plan and thought it was your transfer plan.   Got it!   I'm not doing a plan for my MW but we have been talking about lots of the issues you have in yours.  I'm trusting that these things will be in her chart (I see her writing requests and concerns as we're talking).

I do need to revise my pit plan - I've think MW and I left it that I would like pit as a preventive.  I want to be sure MW knows that I was speaking about pit after the birth of the placenta.  And, I am leaning towards only asking for pit if I have a long pushing stage and/or other signs lead to MW thinking PPH may be an increased likelyhood.  I'd really rather not have it but I'd REALLY like to not have another PPH.  

What are everyone's plans for a pediatrician?  I really like DC's doctor so we'll keep her for this baby.  I spoke to her today about a home visit after the birth.  Unfortunately she doesn't do that.  She seemed a bit extreme at first as far as when she wanted to see the baby (saying w/in 24 hours!) but, fortunately, I had spoken to my MW first and she told me all the things that she does for newborn care.  I managed to leave the pediatrician with a more open time frame.  It seems like I can get away with bringing the baby after the MW completes her care without getting grief from the doctor.  Which, gearing up for the whole vaccine thing all over again, I am not looking forward to.  I swear...not a single "non/delayed vax friendly" doctor that we've seen (4 of them!) have been 100% on board.  I know it's the party line and I guess I'm lucky that they haven't been too pushy but, MAN, they are coming out with new vaccines every 6 months (Hep A now and a mandatory pox booster) it seems and then you get the big push.  All in all the doctor was really cool about it but it's just so exhausting to me.  

I'm sorry to hear how many of us don't want to tell people about the birth.  I have told everyone and haven't gotten any negative reactions at all.  One person I would have hesitated with is the school nurse at DC's school.  I get the feeling she would be pretty shocked and a bit opinionated.  OTOH, she just told me today that her grandmother had 21 live births!!  No way all those kids made it to the hospital.  Can you imagine??  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#36 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 PM

IdentityCrisisMama, my pediatrician wants to see me 24 hours after a home birth, too.  I'm hoping I can talk them out of it -- or have my midwife give them a call to go over the ways in which she'll be supporting me those first few days.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#37 of 47 Old 03-11-2011, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

IdentityCrisisMama, my pediatrician wants to see me 24 hours after a home birth, too.  I'm hoping I can talk them out of it -- or have my midwife give them a call to go over the ways in which she'll be supporting me those first few days.

If you want some advice - I'd investigate the things your ped would want to do (pku test and etc.) and find out if your MW does that.  Either way, I would just be as vague as you can and just play dumb, "Oh, you wanted to see me?  My MW was providing postnatal care up until now."  Ask your MW to give you her good baby records from those first days/weeks and bring those with you when you go in for the first time.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#38 of 47 Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 AM

So, any of you have hospital transfer birth plans? I'm thinking to write one up but I'm not sure what I need to put on there. Any ideas? Do you have one to share?

I'd only go in if there was a serious emergency.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#39 of 47 Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

So, any of you have hospital transfer birth plans? I'm thinking to write one up but I'm not sure what I need to put on there. Any ideas? Do you have one to share?

I'm planning to write up a birth plan with a "homebirth" section as well as one for "hospital" and "c-section".  A hospital transfer here means I may either stay with my MW or transfer care to an OB depending on the circumstances, so I'll probably err on the side of caution there.  The "homebirth" section will just be more like discussion points for our next few appointments I think (we still have lots to cover IMO) so I will do the two (home and hospital) separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyFrog View Post

I also feel the need toprepare myself that DH will not be prepared in a way that I want him to be.I knew from the beginning he likely wouldn't, but he seemed to be interested and said he do whatever  Iwanted but now that we are about there, yeah, not so much. 

I'm kind of there with you, unfortunately.  The fact that he hasn't even read the Birth Partner is pretty surprising to me, and I think it's making DH anxious too cause he's starting to act a little stressed.  But the book's still sitting on the counter.  I'm so glad that I pushed for taking a prenatal class even though he thought it wasn't needed, at least we got some exposure to what happens, what to expect, and for DH lots of "natural birth re-programming" as his ideas were pretty mainstream before.  Blah.help.gif

#40 of 47 Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post

The fact that he hasn't even read the Birth Partner is pretty surprising to me, and I think it's making DH anxious too cause he's starting to act a little stressed.  But the book's still sitting on the counter.  I'm so glad that I pushed for taking a prenatal class even though he thought it wasn't needed, at least we got some exposure to what happens, what to expect, and for DH lots of "natural birth re-programming" as his ideas were pretty mainstream before.  Blah.help.gif

Maybe you could make him up a few pages of what to expect in more of an easy read/ maybe bullet format and make sure he looks over your birth plan so he knows your desires. I'm kind of doing something like that for my hubby. The worst part about possibly needing to transfer is hubby is not very good at talking to people of authority. He'd likely just let them do whatever they wanted to me and baby as he'd be too afraid to speak up based on my previous experience with him. I'd probably be my only advocate but there's nothing I can do about that. I'm just hoping to stay home. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#41 of 47 Old 03-11-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

If you want some advice - I'd investigate the things your ped would want to do (pku test and etc.) and find out if your MW does that.  Either way, I would just be as vague as you can and just play dumb, "Oh, you wanted to see me?  My MW was providing postnatal care up until now."  Ask your MW to give you her good baby records from those first days/weeks and bring those with you when you go in for the first time.  

Thanks for the advice!

#42 of 47 Old 03-11-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMtm View Post

Dermoplast is a great idea! We had our DS at home, and I had spent so much time planning for the birth, and for the baby, that I was really not prepared for anything regarding post partum recovery for myself. Of course, he was my first baby, so I really didn't know what to expect as much. This time I'm planning on getting the dermoplast, witchhazel, cotton balls, and long pads that I can soak with witch hazel, and maybe freeze them. I also plan to have some pull-up depends to wear for the post partum bleeding and discharge; so much easier to manage postpartum then pads, IMO. We have everything we need for the homebirth, except I want to get some electrolyte drinks, and some honey sticks. All the other stuff, we have. Oh, except for the birthing kit that our MW will bring with her next week for our home visit. I do need to get it all gathered together into a box so that we have easy access to it. And we need to pull out our inflatable birthing tub from DS's birth and get it sanitized from sitting in storage. Hopefully I will have time to do all that, as I am already 36 weeks. I can't believe it's all getting so close already!

Yep!  Trust me, it will be your BFF.  For me it was the difference between wincing around and being rather comfy. ;)

#43 of 47 Old 03-11-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyFrog View Post

Oh and most people still think I am going to a birth center, including family.  My mom asked where and who would be there besides DH, I told her "where" and said the midwife, assistant, doula would be there.  She said she would like to be there but would respect my wishes, but she WILL be coming over once I am home.  yikes2.gif  Guess who will NOT be getting a call any time soon after the birth.  Her entitlement just shocks us.  I am not close to her, I have no idea what makes her think I would want her at the birth or showing up unannounced when she wants.  Besides lying about the location, is it any wonder why I told her a due date of May 1, when I'm actually due the 9th? demon.gif

She sounds similar to my mom - but my mom wouldn't ever respect my wishes! LOL  I wouldn't tell my mom anything other than "April" for when I'm due so she has no idea I"m already 36w.  She thinks it's the end of the month.  SHe's 1000 miles away but would pop into her car and show up uninvited and unannounced if she knew much more.  I've gotten the entitlement crap too about "HER" grandchild.  Whatever.  You'll be invited when we invite you - that's that.

#44 of 47 Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Here you go:

Birth Plan (Hospital)

Expected Due Date: April 1, 2011

J and I are eagerly awaiting the birth of our third child (our first pregnancy) and have thought a lot about our ideal preferences for our labour and birth experience. It is our wish to have as natural a birth experience as possible, we understand that labour and delivery does not always go as planned. While we are planning a homebirth, should we be transferred, we value and appreciate any information you can give us to help us make informed choices during our time in hospital.

My support people are my partner J and our Doula Hayley. I would like them to be present at all times during my labour and birth. No students or non-essential personnel are to be present during my labor or the birth.  I would like to have all procedures, no matter how routine, discussed with myself and J prior to administration.

Labour
•    I would like to be free to walk, move around and change position at will around during labor
•    I would like to labour in various gravity-enhanced, vertical positions
•    I am planning to eat light snacks and drink fluids throughout labour
•    I may be bringing music to play during labor
•    I would like the environment to be kept as quiet as possible
•    I would like the lights in the room to be kept low during my labor and delivery
•    I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum
•    I do not want an IV unless it is absolutely necessary in the case of dehydration or the administration of medication

Monitoring
•    Pelvic exams and fetal monitoring should be kept to a minimum
•    I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring or an internal monitor unless it is required by the condition of our baby or unless our baby has shown signs of distress

Labour Induction/Augmentation
•    I do not wish to have my labour induced or augmented, except for in an emergency
•    If labor is not progressing, in order of preference, I would like to be allowed to try changing positions, other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation) or rupturing my amniotic membranes before pitocin is administered

Pain Management
•    I am planning to have a natural birth and will use a combination of movement, counter pressure, hot and cold applications, water immersion, touch and massage, aromatherapy and meditation for pain management
•    I realize that many pain medications exist — I'll ask for them if I need them

Delivery
•    I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, and prefer those that utilize gravity-enhanced, vertical positions
•    Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming our baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase and be allowed to continue without intervention for as long as it takes
•    While I am bearing down, please encourage me with supportive statements like, “You’re doing great,” “You can do it,” and “Hang in there.”

Episiotomy
•    I would like to keep my perineum intact and request massage with oil, hot compresses and other forms of perineal support to reduce the possibility of tearing during the pushing stage
•    No episiotomy will be performed under any circumstances
•    I would like a local anesthetic if any stitches are required

Immediately After Delivery
•    I would like to have to have immediate skin-to-skin contact between the baby and myself after her birth
•    I would like to be left undisturbed for a minimum of 1 hour following birth with newborn procedures performed afterward while the baby is on my chest
•    We would like to have our midwife cut the cord. We would like to wait until the cord has stopped pulsing before it is clamped and cut. We plan to keep the placenta to take home with us.
•    I would like to hold our baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made
•    If our baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, J or Hayley will accompany her at all times
•    We would prefer to hold our baby rather than have her placed under heat lamps nor on a warming mat if she is having a hard time maintaining her temperature
•    We would like to delay the eye medication and vitamin K injection for our baby until after I have had the chance to nurse her

Cesarean
•    Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a cesarean and I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process
•    I would like J and Hayley present at all times if our baby requires a cesarean delivery
•    If our baby is not in distress, she should be given to J as soon as possible after her birth
•    I would like a double layer closure
•    I would like to see my baby and have her placed on my chest if there are no complications
•    I would like an epidural or spinal as opposed a general anesthetic

Postpartum
•    I would like a private room, if available
•    Unless required for health reasons, we do not wish to be separated from our baby
•    We would like to have our baby "room in" and be with us at all times

Breastfeeding
•    I plan to breastfeed our baby and would like to do so immediately after birth
•    Do not offer a pacifier or any bottles at any time during our stay, including formula, glucose water or plain water

Thank you very much for your support during the birth of our child!

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#45 of 47 Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 PM

Ack! I am so far behind on reading everyone's posts! I've skimmed through, but will go back and catch up later...

My "birth supply closet" is complete!! Our birth kit came in and we gathered all the other supplies our MW requested.  I love peeking in there at least once a day to see everything neatly organized.  

Dh and I re-decorated our bathroom to make it more birth-friendly.  We added a dimmer switch for the lights, painted, changed out some fixtures, etc... It is soo nice in there now; it's like a birthing sanctuary!!

We have our home visit from our MW a week from tomorrow.  My mom is coming into town this weekend and will stay until after the birth.  We haven't told any family members about about our HB plans.  We will tell my mom once she arrives (since our MW will be here next Monday for the home visit!)  Hopefully she will be supportive; her job will be to care for DD.  She was awesome to have around during DD's birth, and I am really hoping she doesn't have anything negative to say. Other than my mom, we have no plans to tell anyone else until after the birth.  Some family members have asked if we were going to use the same (hospital-based) MW as we did with DD, and we have just said "no, we found another MW who is closer". We neglect to mention that the "closer" location is our house :) 

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#46 of 47 Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allical1284 View Post

Dh and I re-decorated our bathroom to make it more birth-friendly.  We added a dimmer switch for the lights, painted, changed out some fixtures, etc... It is soo nice in there now; it's like a birthing sanctuary!!

That sounds awesome.  I think our bathroom is about 10 feet long by 2 1/2 feet wide.  There isn't even room for a bathtub in there!

#47 of 47 Old 03-14-2011, 04:38 PM

This will be my second home birth adn we have had no issues with family not being on board.  I've been pretty open when they had questions or concerns, but for the most part, people were more interested than anything else.  My sis did have a home birth with her son 14 years ago, so my side at least was not surprised or worried.  We are doing a water birth, luckily my MW has them to rent, not costing us much and we just purchase a disposable liner.  We use the Aqua Doula mostly because the heater means the water stays the right temp no matter how long you're in there!

My MW has a birth kit that I just order from a mail order pharmacy, plus she has a list of a few things to buy, mostly stuff for clean up.  Last time we just used the towels and sheets we had.  I figured if anything needed to be thrown out, we would just replace it after.  I think we threw away one towel and everything else cleaned up just fine with peroxide!  So that's the plan again--if I need to buy something, I'd rather spend the money on getting new than buying something to throw it out. 

Blessings and a peaceful birth to all you home birth mommies!  Can't wait to hear all the birth stories in the next few weeks.  (35 weeks and counting!) 

Married to Chris (4/07),  WOHM to DSD Sam wave.gif (2/01), missing our angels Phoebe angel3.gif (3/10) and Ronan angel2.gif (4/11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page