Checking in with homebirth mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 01-25-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there are a lot of homebirthers on here, there is an old thread talking about who all is planning on one. DH and I recently made the switch to a homebirth from a hospital birth for my VBAC. I'm a little nervous but also excited.

How is everyone else doing? Have you gotten any things ready, or dealing with family members who freak out at homebirth? We haven't told our families yet but I think they will generally be ok with it. They were fine with us choosing a birth center with DS and it's essentially the same thing, especially in WA state, as far as emergency measures go.

Planning to either rent a tub from a company or from our midwife's students. DH doesn't want to hassle with filling and cleaning but we talked to them today and it doesn't sound too bad. Plus it's an inflatable one vs AquaDoula, so it's softer to drape yourself over it. Anyone use both and like one over the other?  The company rental is a good bit more money.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 02:20 AM

After going to pre-register at the hospital yesterday (we have to in case of a transfer), I'm even more excited than ever for our home birth!

I've been spending some time over at the HB forum, and even read through most of this thread on birth tubs and all of this thread on home birth supplies (I made a supply list from here which I hope will be incredibly useful).

Like you, I'd love to labour or birth in a tub.  I had done a lot of research and thought I was going to go with the birth pool in a box as I liked the size and handle option.  However, I just purchased a La Bassine.  Someone was selling a used one with an unused liner for $100 which was cheaper than buying new or renting (would have cost well over $200).  All I have to do now is get a net, hose, thermometer and drop cloth for it!  Oh, and of course, I'd love to do a trial fill run so that we can ensure there are no leaks.  The thought of having it leak or explode over the top floor of my house is my personal nightmare 2whistle.gif.

Our families are both aware that we're planning for a home birth, but I don't think they really believe we'll do it.  We have to correct them every time they refer to us bringing the baby home from the hospital yikes2.gif.  On DW's side, it's a little more complicated because there is a long line of health care professionals.  My MIL is a nurse and my SIL is a 4th year med student wanting to specialize in OBS/GYN.  They're being very respectful of our choices, but that doesn't mean we avoid some very interesting and heated conversations.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#3 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Hey, Mamas 

I've been focusing on getting my birth kit all ready - it makes me feel like a frontier mama.  lol.gif   I've been trying to get most of the things from Goodwill type stores, which is why I started so early.  

I'm starting on 2 week intervals after my next appointment with the MW, which is good because we hadn't done quite enough chatting for my taste - I still have a pretty long list of things to talk with her about.  

For me, family is fine with HB.  My only thing to work out in that department is SIL wants to be in charge of DC during the birth and SIL, of all people, is not the best choice for making DC feel calm.  I've got to have a talk with her about that.  

I had a transfer with DC so I'm a tad worried about not "getting my HB", which I think will disappoint me the second time around.  Sigh.  

Oh, no pool for us - just not my thing.  I do plan to take lots of baths though.  Have fun with the prep, mamas!!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#4 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

I know there are a lot of homebirthers on here, there is an old thread talking about who all is planning on one. DH and I recently made the switch to a homebirth from a hospital birth for my VBAC. I'm a little nervous but also excited.

How is everyone else doing? Have you gotten any things ready, or dealing with family members who freak out at homebirth? We haven't told our families yet but I think they will generally be ok with it. They were fine with us choosing a birth center with DS and it's essentially the same thing, especially in WA state, as far as emergency measures go.

Planning to either rent a tub from a company or from our midwife's students. DH doesn't want to hassle with filling and cleaning but we talked to them today and it doesn't sound too bad. Plus it's an inflatable one vs AquaDoula, so it's softer to drape yourself over it. Anyone use both and like one over the other?  The company rental is a good bit more money.

I have met with the midwife (numerous times) and doula (once), but won't meet our backup midwife and doula until next month.  I'm having a TEENY bit of anxiety about the fact that both my midwife AND my doula will be out of town on my EDD, but since chances are I will go late, hopefully I won't have the baby until they're back.  ;)

My midwife asked us to buy a birth kit from a company that she uses, so I did that (medical-type and misc. supplies).  Now I'm working on gathering the other stuff that wasn't included.  Here's that list:

2 medium sized non-breakable bowls (for medical instruments)
2 - 6 old towels
2 washcloths
vegetable or baby oil (for baby's bottom)
1 flat sheet
1 quart size tupperware container (for the placenta)
1 shower curtain liner
wet wipes
bottle of hydrogen peroxide
1 newborn gown/outfit
2 receiving blankets
1 powerful flashlight

I don't want to have anyone but the midwife, doula, and my husband at the homebirth (we have a small apartment), but we did tell our parents.  My in-laws are more nervous about it than my parents (who said as long as we feel comfortable, they're comfortable), but everyone has been pretty respectful.  My MIL did "get my husband alone" to express her fear to him while I wasn't around (which I thought she might do), but he's firmly on board with the HB (luckily!) and wasn't swayed.

We're renting an AquaDoula.  I thought about the La Bassine inflatable tub, but I don't want to risk it getting popped by my cat.  ;)  Plus, I'm tall, so I think I'll appreciate a little bigger tub.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#5 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else care to share their supply lists? Here is my partial list that I worked on a few weeks ago.  I have my son's routine written out for my friend and a caregiver consent form (we do that whenever he is away from us just in case).

Birth

Old sheets

plastic painter’s drop cloth (one for both beds, couple extra)

crockpot for towels

towels (from thrift store)

several washcloths

straws for sipping

bowl for throwing up

bowl for placenta

Rubbermaid tote for supplies

heavy black trash bags

mirror to watch birth

unopened roll of paper towels

honey

Post partum

anica tablets

bottle of peroxide – 2

Depends pads for first couple of days

Food

frozen bagels

cream cheese

cereal

Frozen muffins

Frozen soup

Grape juice

Apple juice

Misc

cleaning wish list for those who want to help

gentlemoon.com for herbal mixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
I'm starting on 2 week intervals after my next appointment with the MW, which is good because we hadn't done quite enough chatting for my taste - I still have a pretty long list of things to talk with her about.  

Do you care to share some of the things you need to discuss (if they apply to most women)? Since we just switched, I want to talk about things that I might not have thought of yet. I had a huge list of questions that I went over with her when we interviewed a couple of weeks ago. I just had my first appt yesterday and it went well. I met her student who I liked. Her student has apprenticed under a different midwife we interviewed, and she was a doula for 5 years before that, so though a student, she's got some births under her belt.  They (she and her student) are so laid back.   I'm back in three weeks at 32 weeks then starting every two weeks after that. I meet with my doula officially at 35 weeks but we've been talking almost weekly as we've been considering homebirth. I think she's getting to know me pretty well and already knows to tell me to stop analyzing things! LOL

I was a little annoyed that I had to pee on a strip though for glucose and protein. It was neg, and they said just let us know what it was, don't need to show us or anything. All of my m/w experience in the past has been no pee tests every appt, and I thought research showed it wasn't that helpful or telling to do so anyway.  What do you think? I think if there is something they would say, oh that's ok, if it got to be a lot more or frequent, we'd want to talk about that, etc. She was fine with me refusing the GD test.  They drew blood just for iron, and also for D at my request. AND they send it to a cheaper lab which is great for me!

Neuro, I think my family will probably be like yours, including my MIL voicing concerns to DH (prob via text) about it but generally leaving us to our decision. We also plan to have the same people present that you do. My mom will be available to drive up the next day from about 4 hours away, so we'll give her a heads up.  I think I'm ready to send "the email" pretty soon, then they can call us or just process it for a little bit. 

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 AM

I am lucky to have several friends that have recently had homebirths, so they have been bringing me all of their leftover birth supplies (old towels, herb mixes, leftover Depends, chux pads, etc...)  My MW provides us with a birth pool, so I am not worried about that.  I have a small list of things that I need to start gathering/ordering in the coming weeks, but overall, I feel pretty prepared. 

The lack of anxiety surrounding this birth is almost causing me to be anxious (I know that doesn't really make sense...)  More than anything, I am really excited to be giving birth again soon!  I would like to dedicate more time during this last trimester to some "optimal positioning" exercises and really need to listen to my affirmations/relaxation practice tracks on a daily basis just to get my head in the right place.  

We haven't told any family members about our HB plans (I don't want to hear any of their opinions, positive or negative ;)  Seeing as my Mom will be here though, we are going to have to tell her soon.  Subconsciously, I think I am afraid to tell family because I don't want to be the one with the "failed HB" in case of transfer; I don't want them thinking "what was she thinking trying something crazy like that!?"  I did the same thing with DD's birth... we were planning an all natural MW-attended hospital birth, and I didn't tell any family about it because I didn't want to have to tell them that I had "failed".  Now, once Dd was born (after an incredible intervention-free hospital birth), I was screaming our birth story from the rooftops to our families.   

One of my biggest fears for this birth is that someone (uninvited) will show up at the house while I'm in labor (like my MIL...shudder)  Is this totally irrational? I hope the whole shebang occurs in the middle of the night!!

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#7 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have almost all my homebirth supplies in place. I have a list provided by my midwife of things I need besides just ordering the birth kit. It makes it so much easier than having to come up with my own list. I used an inflatable child's pool for my last water birth and that worked great. You can get one from birth with love for under $40. I will prepare all the sheets and towels at about 36 weeks.

If you want to see my supply list: http://www.gamidwife.com/supplies.html

Additional supplies for water birth: http://www.gamidwife.com/water.html

I like to buy things a little at a time so I don't have one big hit to the bank account.

Since this is my third homebirth my family has nothing to say about it. DH's mom (anesthesiologist) is against it but it doesn't matter because he hasn't spoken to her for months and I doubt he will anytime soon (DRAMA).

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#8 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allical1284 View Post

... We haven't told any family members about our HB plans (I don't want to hear any of their opinions, positive or negative ;)  ...

We did the same thing.  A couple of friends knew I am home birthing but everyone else ... well I lied and told them we are going to the birth center that is very close to the hospital.  I have never been once to lie but so far I have said it with a dead serious straight face, I think because it is just so important to me to have my peace and not hear anyone's feedback.

I'm still on 4 week intervals.  I appointments tend to be very boring and straight forward.  My last appointment I finally did have questions to ask but they were regarding travel and newspaper announcements, nothing of dire pregnancy concern.  Hurray for boring peaceful pregnancy!  So my next appointment is next week then it will be three weeks because we will be out of town, then I imagine I'll go down to two weeks apart.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#9 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 AM

FYI, here's what came in the Birth Kit my midwife had me order from a website:

6 23x36 underpads
10 23x24 underpads
1 Cord Ring
6 packages (1per) 4x4 gauze pads
4 medium sterile singles-2vinyl/2 latex
1 bulb syringe
1 reg hat
1 peri bottle
4 sterile gloves, pairs, med-2 vinyl/2latex
1 paper tape measure
2 sanitary panties
2 straws
10 peach pads
10 pkts lube jelly
1 TB syringe
1 100cc syringe
15 alcohol prep pads

#10 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Yes! We are planning a homebirth and really haven't had any issues, thankfully, with family. My brother and I were both born at home and my husband's family raises cattle which I think gives them an inherent understanding of natural birth. People at work (Hospital, I am an RN) have also been pretty supportive as several are pregnant and planning birth center births or have had them. I guess I am just lucky and careful about who I tell. I actually have been receiving care up to this point at the hospital on base because it is free and we will have to pay out of pocket for the MW visits etc. They know I"m coming though and plan to start seeing them after my glucose tolerance screen in two or three weeks! 

We are planning to water birth in our big jetted tub. It isn't so wide as our last house but very deep. Plus the bathroom is quite large and the tub comes out of the corner so there should be plenty of room in there for the MW, husband and doula, plus the dogs will probably want to know what the fuss is all about. 

I am focusing on being fairly relaxed about the whole thing and preparing myself mentally to transfer to the hospital if necessary. I have seen enough to know that things can go wrong and don't want to set myself up for a trauma if things don't go as I hoped, but I am healthy, young and fit so hopefully...

No birth kit list yet. I'm sure there will be time for it later :)

partytime.gifBabytime! treehugger.gifMomma to Wyatt born April 2012 h20homebirth.gif

#11 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 PM

As far as the pee stick - it's about as non-invasive as you get, IMO, and I'm not paying for the sticks (well not directly) AND it's been protocol for both of my HB MWs so I never gave it much thought.  You're right, though, if there's not statistical benefit it seems silly, ha?  

What I am planning on talking with my MW about are three main things:

1. Transfer policy, procedure, hospital and etc.  I'm new to this area and my MW is a CPM not licensed in my state so I'm concerned about how that will work.  Plus, I want to know what hospital I will likely go to and if there's choice in the matter, yk?  

2.  PPH (postpartum hemorrhage) procedure.  I had a PPH last birth and I want to know if my MW carries certain medication/herbs to deal with that.  Mainly pitocin but also things like Shepher's Purse, capsicum and etc.  

3.  The procedure for seeing a pediatrician after birth.  I want to know if her postpartum care is sufficient or if she would rather me see a ped early on AND if she knows a pediatrician who does house calls.  

I've got a good list going for the birth but keep in mind that this does't include the required things my MW wants us to have:  

Misc: 

Make sure DH, Mom and SIL know where the birth supplies are

Ice

For DC:

Transfer bag

Labor jobs

Possible labor gift/activity 

Start of labor: 

RRL

Make a soup

Charge cell phones 

Ask SIL to do a labor shipping trip 

Food:

Energy drinks – Gatorade, recharge AND smoothy with coconut water and apple juice and popsicles made of that stuff. 

Lasagna

Chocolate covered strawberries

Soup

Cup a soup

Bendy straw

Postpartum care:

Frozen comfrey pads

Little bottle of olive oil for baby’s bum during meconium phase

Jar of honey for labia

Depends

"Make your own flexible icepacks by combining rubbing alcohol and water. 
Use one part alcohol to 3 parts water. If you increase the ratio of alcohol,
the frozen mixture will be slushier, gentler. Put this mixture into a
condom and tie the end closed like you would a balloon. +can also use dish soap

*Birthday gift for DC

Laxatives of some sort (mag citrate, colace, prune juice, smooth move)  

Clean up: 

Ammonia

Another plastic pad for bed

Plastic pad 

In case of PPH:

Liquid chlorophyll

Floradix

Shepherds Purse 

Birth comfort: 

Kneeling pad

Yoga pad

In case of transfer:

House keys for mom and SIL

Transfer bag

Insurance forms

Gas in car

Pack charger 

#12 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 PM

Oh, and I've also been stocking up on some things like towels, bath mats and receiving blankets from Goodwill.  As far as all the medical paper products and etc. unlike my first MW my current MW just has you order a kit that she has made with a local company so there's not chasing down chux and etc.  I did stock up on pads and have decided to get some Depends per the other huge supply thread on the HB forum.  Check that out if you haven't seen it.  

#13 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allical1284 View Post

One of my biggest fears for this birth is that someone (uninvited) will show up at the house while I'm in labor (like my MIL...shudder)  Is this totally irrational? I hope the whole shebang occurs in the middle of the night!!

This is my biggest fear.  I freaked out knowing that MIL and SIL were in the *waiting room* when I was in labour with DD (thankfully DH sent them home).  We're not going to tell anyone except my parents when I'm in labour (they're taking the kids) and if we do tell people we're telling them to stay the hell away until we're ready for visitors.

Of course the only people in our families that know we're having a HB are my mom and sis.  Both freaked a little (my sis is one of those who would go pain free if she could for labour) but when I explained the parameters for being allowed a HB they relaxed a bit.  We're not telling anyone else until after the birth.

My MWs have a kit we can purchase from them with almost everything we need.  My mom says she's going to give me some old sheets and I'm going to hit up the thrift stores for old towels and the like.

We live in a small apt so having a water birth is not really an option.  It's possible but I'd be worried about the kids and the water as well as if it leaked everywhere. 

#14 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 02:21 PM

As for someone showing up - we did put a sign on the door and someone STILL knocked during DC's birth.  It was our friendly but kind of drunkardly landlady.  She actually asked if she could come in even after DH said I was giving birth at the moment!  Good news, though, for those of you who are worried about that -- I had NO idea this even happened.  DH handled it and I only heard about it days after the birth.  

#15 of 47 Old 01-26-2011, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
This will be my second home birth. I'm waiting until 34-35 weeks to order supplies and buy more towels and stuff like that, but I'm going to be getting around all the supplies we have from last time some time in the next month. We bought a La Bassine pool (inflatable) for DS's birth, so we still have that to use this time around. I don't have experience with both kinds, but I spent almost all of my 2-3 hours of pushing with DS leaning on the side of the pool and I can't imagine it would have been nearly as comfortable with a hard-sided pool.

The only comments we have had from people this time have been from one or two of DH's family members asking if we're having another home birth (in a tone that makes it seem like I'm endangering my life and the baby's) but nothing directly in opposition to it. We kept our home birth plans from most people until the very end last time. Fortunately, no one was all that negative before the birth (more just uninformed - thinking home birth was illegal and things like that), but I didn't appreciate the "I'm so glad everyone's safe and healthy" comments after the fact like I had been reckless and it was pure luck that we both survived eyesroll.gif

As far as the pee sticks go, there may not be a statistical benefit, but my midwife has been able to tell I was fighting off a bug just by looking at one and they are pretty non-invasive. If I ever decide to UP, I will definitely use the strips for my own information as I have liked having them for both of my pregnancies so far.

And here's my super-long list of supplies:
two small bowls
a paper grocery bag and a kitchen-sized plastic garbage bag
vinyl tablecloth with flannel on one side
Shower curtains (2)
2 packages large underpads (chux pads)
lots of pillows
two extra blankets
four old bath towels and old washcloths
extra set of sheets for double-making the bed
Scissors
nasal aspirator (2-3 oz)
small baby bottle with nipple
chin-up bar/rope to hang on
Hydrogen Peroxide to remove bloodstains
bowls - 1 in case of puking, 1 to catch placenta
rice socks
crockpot for heating compresses
SeaBands in case of nausea
essential oil burner, candles, and matches
exercise ball (inflated)
massage oil
Baby name list & books
Birth books for reference
iPod with all Hypnobabies tracks on it as separate tracks and a music playlist ready just in case, fully charged w/ headphones attached
digital camera - fully charged with an empty memory card
a new roll of paper towels
bendy straws
Arnica cream and pellets
Rescue Remedy (cream, drops and spray)
2 pairs of socks
Robe & big underwear
baby clothes: 4 receiving blankets, a sleeper, an undershirt, socks, & diapers
birth tub (La Bassine)
accessories for birth tub (hose, electric air pump, water pump, faucet adapter, "Y" adapter, thermometer, floor cover, debris net, neck pillows)

Food, Drinks, Cooking, etc.
Food for me during labor (yogurt, applesauce, frozen grapes, crackers, hardboiled eggs, popsicles
Food for others present during labor and after birth
Food for me after birth
2-3 bottles of Recharge brand sports drink from health food store
Coconut water
Vegetable/Tomato juice for placenta smoothie
Spillproof drinking cup
RRL tea frozen into ice cubes
Tea Kettle
2 coffee mugs & honey/sugar (for attendants)
Milk in the fridge (for attendants)

Postpartum
hospital sized sanitary pads (freeze some ahead of time)
frozen condom filled with water and alcohol
Depends and/or mesh panties
Flannel fabric - to cut into rectangles to protect mama's skin from plastic Depends/pads and to protect cloth diapers from meconium
olive oil for baby's bottom to prevent meconium from sticking
Afterease tincture
Wishgarden New Mother's Balm
Nori seaweed for labial tears
honey for labial tears
Postpartum sitz bath herbs
Prune juice for first post-partum bowel movement
Stool softener for first post-partum bowel movement:
peri bottle
toilet paper/paper towel rolls for postpartum
Freezer meals from Dream Dinners for postpartum
Food staples (bread, butter, rice, etc.) for a month after birth

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#16 of 47 Old 01-27-2011, 02:50 AM

I always said I wanted a homebirth for my last birth.  My midwife has a birth center and a home birth option.  DH isn't comfortable with homebirth.  Not because he doesn't feel safe with it but mostly because we have dogs and he thinks they would freak out about so many people in the house.  Plus, the mess.  Right now the house is kinda in chaos because we are trying to organize and get rid of things and change rooms around and we desperately need new carpets. But we are working on all of that and I am wondering if we get all of that done if he would change his mind. He was okay with home birth IF we had not been able to get our insurance changed and it was either homebirth or hospital because of $$.  But since it will be the same amount for us whether it is hb or bc he is pretty set on bc.  TBH- I'm okay with it.  I like the BC. It's really pretty and comfy.  But I will be stalking this thread because I have until March 1st to change my mind!! 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#17 of 47 Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM

#2 was a home birth and we're planning it for this one, as well - so long as I get to 37 weeks!  I won't be ordering supplies for another few weeks (30w now) and haven't really even started to think about preparations for it!  I have a bunch of old towels and still have some things from last time (unopened chux, etc.).  I need to look through all your lists and compare with my MWs list so I can start making my own!

#18 of 47 Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We are planing our second homebirth. I haven't really done as much preparation this time around, yet. Partly because we are going to move within the next few weeks, and I don't really want to get anything set-up or bought and stored until we are all settled into our new place. Family hasn't really said too much this time around. I think they all got it out of their system with the birth of our DS. None of them had ever even heard that you could give birth at home. Now, they are a little more used to the idea, and more comfortable with it since they have seen how well it all went with DS, and DH and I have answered all their questions regarding safety. I even have a SIL who is due with their 4th in August, that is planning a homebirth now!

Melissa Wife to DH, Mom to DS (6) and DD (3) We are a homebirthing, no vax, intact, devoutly LDS happy family!

#19 of 47 Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM

This is our third ( second home birth ) I saved all the stuff from last time... towels, receiving blankets etc. All I need to do is make some frozen witch hazel pads and I am good to go. I washed all the stuff an  put it all in bags..

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#20 of 47 Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

We emailed our parents this week to let them know of our switch to homebirth, and my parents were very supportive. They completely understand our decision (and I think my mom even hinted she would like to be there but we will politely decline thumb.gif). DH's parents are still digesting it and we'll talk to them today. They've had other things going on emotionally so I think it's been a busy week that way, and we know MIL will worry but will try her best to understand and support. It'll be good to talk to her at some point today.  If we can help her understand that the safety situation is the same as the birth center, that should help a lot.

ETA: MIL is supportive. She'll worry but she's fine with it. We wouldn't have changed if they weren't but it gives us less stress.

#21 of 47 Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM

Loving all this :) I am having my 2nd homebirth in april as well! I am due on my 3rd childs 1st bday! LOL so i JUST had a homebirth last april, waterbirh and it was amazing. I have a different MW this time and really like her alot! I am excited....

Wifey to Z and SAHM to C (12/03) T (7/08) M (4/10) and her irish twin C (4/11)

#22 of 47 Old 01-31-2011, 11:56 AM

DD was born at a free-standing birth center and it was nice.

This time, though, we're having a homebirth. WooHOO! We have a great midwife team and things have been going great with them. Don't know how I'll feel about water (didn't get much out of it last time) but we have a giant jacuzzi tub in our master bath, which we'll have ready to use.

We've told some relatives but not others. We expect my husbands family to have irrelevant objections (they were SO RELIEVED that we had a girl last time because we wouldn't have been able to get a boy circumsized at the birth center- they were shocked and appalled when we said we wouldn't have bothered) and I would rather not tell them until after, but I'm leaving it up to him. If he wants to tell them, he can deal with any objections/questions they raise. 

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#23 of 47 Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hey ladies! How is everyone doing? I have a week and a half until I can have a homebirth if I go into labor. I'm confident that'll happen. I was working on my birth plan. I had pretty much nixed it since it's a homebirth, then I realized there would probably be some things that would be helpful to lay out since people's desires vary. I'll paste it below.

We met with our doula today (though we've talked a good bit already and were pretty comfortable with her) so that was fun. I have a lot of my supplies but need to order the birth kit soon. Our home visit with the mws is next week.  I greatly desired a photographer because I LOVE good birth photography, but we just couldn't fork out $800 for one that I LOVED. So my doula suggested she could ask around on a list for photographers who want more birth photos in their portfolio who'd come for free just for the exposure. So I hope that might work out.

I'm feeling great when it comes to the SPD that I've been dealing with, my chiro would be so proud of how well I'm moving around haha.

So we haven't been telling people about the homebirth except immediate family and a couple close friends, and a lady from church (my DH is the pastor) asked us today where we were giving birth. I gave a flustered answer of "We're not sure!" then turned to DH and said, what do we say?? She was the ONE we'd fear asking since she's a nurse and worries and we knew she'd scold us. But, we felt we couldn't lie and she asked if we were homebirthing after so we said yes, and she was totally cool with it and said women have been birthing for years and she's seen what can happen in hospitals. So, that was a relief even though we didn't need her approval. So far, we've gotten a lot of support all around. I'm afraid of a question in front of my baby shower group this Saturday though! I may try to avoid the answer if I can.  But, we decided we'll just be honest, we're confident in our decision.

My birth plan: (I also have a transfer plan)

We realize a lot of this is probably a given in having a homebirth but though we’d put our desires out there anyway since everybody’s different.   Mom is committed to having a homebirth and a VBAC, so if she starts talking about transferring for pain relief, please support her extra and help her cope with the pain and remind her of her desire and that the pain will not last.    If she starts asking for a cesarean as a result of not coping with the pain (vs. a medical reason), please encourage her and physically support and give food/drink. She believes, leading up to the birth, that she can succeed at this.  Also remind her of the strength that the Lord gives her.

We’d love photos taken of the birth if we’ve been unable to find a photographer

• Mom is open to a water birth or a land birth, whatever ends up happening, and in whatever position

• Mom is open to variety of labor positions and suggestions but otherwise would like quietness during active labor, although she seems not to notice anyway. But music would be good.  She doesn’t really want to be asked how she’s doing.

• If it’s sunny, Mom would love the blinds open to let the sunlight in during pushing, but otherwise would probably like it dimmer (maybe, we can play it by ear, she doesn’t recall noticing light/dark during labor last time)

• Mom would like to be discouraged from looking at the clock or knowing what time it is

• Mom would like to push with the urge to push, only with coaching to, say, slow down a rapid pushing stage to minimize or avoid tearing

• Dad would like to catch the baby if possible and declare the gender

• Mom’s preferences for immediately after the birth are

-          to have immediate skin-to-skin contact with baby

-          to be left undisturbed for 1 hour following birth, newborn procedures performed afterward

-          be warmed with a blanket from the dryer to facilitate the uterus clamping down

• Mom would like clamping & cutting of the umbilical cord to be delayed until blood stops pulsing. If resuscitation is necessary, please do so with the cord uncut. Dad would like to cut the cord.

• Mom would like to deliver the placenta spontaneously without cord traction

• Mom consents to prophylactic pitocin if you feel that would prevent a possible PPH
•We will be refusing the eye goop

•We plan on refusing the Vit K unless the birth results in bruising to the baby

•We consent to PKU testing

#24 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 AM

Hi, Cook 

We're also pretty close to term - 2 weeks I think.  I've got all the homebirth supplies ready and am ready to get them used and out of the house!!  They're so cluttery because of how temporary they are.  They take up way more space than the baby stuff. :lol  

I'm having my home visit next week, which should be nice.  

My MW wanted me to have cranial sacral therapy, which I'm going to decline.  I'm a skeptic and not in the mood...

Once again (I had a planned HB with DC) I'm not all that focused on transfer even though I did transfer with DC.  My MW thinks the only way I'll transfer for this baby is as an emergency transfer.  I think she's right.  In that situation I'd rather defer to the ambulance/hospital staff.  I do think I'll pack a bag this time and I'm going to have to prep DC - thanks for the reminder!!  

I've been pretty good about staying off the sofa but could really walk more...grrr!  

#25 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 AM

I'm due the 28th, but my midwife is out of town after this weekend until the 29th or 30th.  I don't know if I'll end up going into labor while she's gone (and using her backup) or if things will wait until she gets back.  All my midwife visits have been home visits, but starting this week we go to weekly visits.  I'll see the doula next week and the backup the week after, and then my midwife will be back.

We've got the birth kit and all the supplies except for the tub, which we pick up on Saturday.  I'll be 38 weeks on Monday!  I'll print out my transfer plan today and stick it into the transfer bag I packed the other day.  I know some people think that packing an emergency transfer bag is tempting fate and "giving in" to the idea that you might have to transfer, but in my opinion, if I don't pack one I might need it, so hopefully packing one will be like a charm ensuring I'll never need the bag.

IdentityCrisisMama, I don't like the clutter, either!  I've got a big stack of stuff on a side table in our tiny living room (4 room apartment over here) and I can't wait to put it all away again.  ;)

CookAMH: I thought I'd be keeping it more on the down-low that we're doing a homebirth, but I've surprised myself by just telling almost anyone who asks.  The one person I lied to was my dermatologist (because I didn't want to risk having a whole discussion with her).  And I didn't mention it to my family member who is a nurse (we were at a funeral, and, again, maybe he wouldn't have cared, but I didn't want to risk it).  Everyone else has been really supportive.  One friend said the idea made her nervous, but she was not being all "horror story" about it, so I didn't mind her saying that.  And she does know people who've had home births.  And one coworker said something like, "I thought that people were moving away from homebirths," which was a sort of odd comment, but she didn't follow it up with any negative details, so I didn't let it bother me.  Oh, and my in-laws are nervous about it, perhaps because they're research scientists and have worked in hospitals and are traditional in that sense, but they're trying so hard to be supportive and nonjudgmental that I can't complain.

I want some photos taken at the birth, but my husband thinks that our midwife mentioned she doesn't like having photos being taken at the births she attends.  I can't imagine that she actually said that (unless maybe she just doesn't want to be IN any photos, which is fine by me).  I have no memory of her saying that, either.  I think I'll just tell him to take any photos he likes and I can edit them later.  ;)

#26 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 AM

I'm full term today so we're on for a home birth!  I'd really like this baby to stay in until at least March 18 as I'm planning to work till then, but would definitely prefer she wait until April.  Given our spending lately in preparation for the baby's arrival, I definitely want those 5 days of salary.  I've also got all of our homebirth supplies on hand and I just need to get them organized.  I had this huge list of all of the various items we needed, but then decided to order them online from Momma Goddess and they arrived yesterday.  It was so much easier (and cheaper!) to be able to get everything I needed from one shop and not to have to spend a couple of days running around the city. Whew!

This weekend, we're going to do a trial run of setting up and emptying the birthing tub.  Once that's done, I'm going to feel totally prepared, relaxed and ready for this birth.

Quote:

• Mom consents to prophylactic pitocin if you feel that would prevent a possible PPH

I really like that line from your birth plan, CookAMH and I think I'm going to borrow it.  Like you, I had had a hospital birth plan drawn up just in case of a transfer.  However, I realized in finalizing my hospital plan, that I should write down my homebirth plan as well.  In the least, it was a good exercise in sharing my labour vision - it turns out that I clearly had one, but hadn't communicated it all that clearly to my DW or doula.  I've been going back and forth on the pitocin for PPH.  There was some earlier fear in my pregnancy that I may have this clotting disorder, however, I did all of these tests and I don't have it.  The tests also revealed that my clotting is 105% of normal (so I'm an overachiever!).  The PPH fear still lingers for my midwives, and to a lesser degree myself, so I've been asked to consider pitocin.  I'm just not sure how I feel the interaction of all the natural oxytocin and labour endorphins will mix with something synthetic.

Here's my homebirth plan in case you're interested:

Key People
Primary Caregivers:  Claudia or Amanda
Doula:  Hayley
Wife:  J
Children:  R (15) and B (13)

Labour
•    We will be setting up the upper level of our house for birthing and I would like to labour wherever I chose notably our bedroom, bathroom and nursery
•    I am planning to have a natural birth and will use a combination of movement, counter pressure, hot and cold applications, birthing tub, touch and massage, aromatherapy and meditation for pain management
•    I imagine that I will be very introspective and internally focused during the laboring process and would like to do so in a calm, comforting and serene environment
•    I would like to be supported by my birth team in labour and delivery in various gravity-enhanced, vertical positions
•    While I am bearing down, please encourage me with supportive statements like, “You’re doing great,” “You can do it,” and “Hang in there.”

Immediately After Delivery
•    I would like to have to have immediate skin-to-skin contact between the baby and myself after her birth and will encourage immediate breastfeeding
•    We would like to have our midwife cut the cord and we would like to wait until the cord has stopped pulsing before it is clamped and cut
•    We plan to keep the placenta and have provided a bucket in our birthing kit for this purpose
•    We would like to delay the vitamin K injection for our baby until after I have had the chance to nurse her and the midwives may leave the eye medication for us to administer

Interventions
•    I would like to have all procedures, no matter how routine, discussed with me prior to administration
•    I have agreed to have oxytocin preventatively administered to reduce any post-partum hemorrhage risks or complications
•    I do not want to have a heplock or IV, unless an intervention is imminent and medically necessary  in the case of dehydration or the administration of medication
•    I understand that there may be circumstances in which it is necessary that I transfer to the hospital.  Some of these situations are unambiguous, while others are judgment calls.  While it will be a joint decision, I will rely upon the expertise of my birth team to help make this call.

Our Children
•    Our children may be home and may choose to participate, or not, as they are comfortable in the labour and delivery process
•    J or Hayley will attend to the children’s needs as they may arise

Food and Drink
•    There will be snacks/food and drink on hand for the labour team.  This is a self-serve household – eat/drink what you want and please put the dirty dishes in the dish washer.
•    We will have some sort of special meal and cake to celebrate our daughter’s arrival

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#27 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have 9 days until 37 weeks, but depending on the circumstances, my midwife would be willing to attend at 36.5-37 weeks so there's no one day where I'm all of a sudden eligible for a home birth. On the to do list for the next week is making a few birth plans for a hospital transfer, packing a bag in case of transfer, and testing the birth pool and related accessories. I've had the birth supplies gathered and organized for a few weeks now. I put them on the closet shelf in the room where the birth pool and futon are set up and I'm excited about how much storage space I'll have after we're done with them!

I made a birth plan for our home birth with DS, but it really wasn't necessary as my midwife had spent so much time with us at each appt that she knew (and had noted in my file) the things I wanted/didn't want/needed. Instead of a birth plan, I'm thinking of making a 3x5 note card for each person who will be there (mw, apprentice, my mom, MIL, DH) with the things I expect/need from them.

I packed a bag in case of transfer last time and will be doing it again this time. I am way too type A to rely on DH to go back to the house and be able to find the things I want/need to be comfortable during an overnight stay. I also would rather he be able to stay with us than have to leave to go get things. Guess I should probably pack something for DS too in case he ends up at Grandma's if we can't get anyone over to our house to watch him.

Last time we were picky about who we told we were planning a home birth, but it ended up coming out to family a week or two before he was born and there was no real fallout. Just a lot of "We're so glad you and baby are okay" after the birth eyesroll.gif We haven't been shy about telling anyone this time. But, we have an awesome home birth under our belts and we've been interviewed in the newspaper about it, so it's not something we could hide if we wanted at this point since everyone's first question is if we're doing "that" again lol.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

I greatly desired a photographer because I LOVE good birth photography, but we just couldn't fork out $800 for one that I LOVED. So my doula suggested she could ask around on a list for photographers who want more birth photos in their portfolio who'd come for free just for the exposure. So I hope that might work out.

I'm in the exact same position right now, though it was my midwife who said she would ask around. This reminds me that I should probably ask her about it and see if she's talked to anyone yet. She had surgery recently and I can definitely see it not being at the top of her priority list.

Thanks so much to everyone for posting their birth plans! It gives me a lot to keep in mind when I write ours up some time in the next week or so.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#28 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 AM

I have 6 days till 37w.  I'm already having prodromal labor - baby has dropped, the shape of my belly is radically different now and tons of ctx so hoping to keep it in till at least then, but would prefer to keep this one in till April.  For one, I just don't feel ready yet and also since this is likely my last pg I want to savor every moment. :)  Also a silly/selfish reason is that then I have a March, an April and a May baby. :P  I had prodromal lablor and was dilated to 5 for 3 weeks before DD was born so hopefully this one stays put a while (though I COULD stand some easing up on the ctx - some are quite uncomfortable already and sleep would be nice!!).  Hoping also to be able to use the tub this time.  DD was so fast that I didn't even make it upstairs let alone to the tub.  We had our home visit yesterday and it was funny to talk about all the contingency plans (keep a small stack of towels and chux downstairs, too, just in case of another super fast labor, etc.).  I tend to think that BECAUSE everyone expect me to go early and super fast I will go past my EDD and have my first ever slow labor!

This is our 2nd HB and people pretty much expected it so no real comments this time.  We didn't "tell" last time will I was 36 weeks so we wouldn't have to listen to comments too long though! LOL  I still had most of the towels and such from last time so only had to buy the disposible and/or stuff that expired. 

One thing I didn't see mentioned in birth kits was DERMOPLAST!!!!!  It's a spray on analgesic that totally numbs the area for a few hours at a time.  I would never typically use it but DS was a hospital birth and they gave it to every mom PP and HOLY WOWWIE!!!  It helped those first few days with the pain and burning.  I need to get a new bottle for this one since the one that was tossed in with my birth supplies from last time is expired.  Seriously mamas, go and get some.  It's cheap (maybe $5 at Walmart/target) and even if you only need to use it once you will not regret it. 

#29 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 AM

We are officially "go" for homebirth as of this coming Saturday (2 days from now, yay!).  Our birth pool rental is being delivered next Saturday at 38 wks, though if I should go into labour early I'll be making an emergency call to them and hope they can bring it over asap. LOL  We still need to do our home visit with the MW sometime in the next couple of weeks.  DH is starting to get anxious and nest-y because he's worried that the baby will show up early.  I don't really think so but I don't know how much I can predict it either.  So my plan is to just take it easy for a couple of days till we're in the homebirth "safe zone".

I'm going to start shopping for supplies and getting the house ready soon, tomorrow is my last day of work before I go on mat leave (gotta love Canada!).  Next week we will pick up our homebirth kit that the MW office sells with chux pads and the like so that will take care of a lot of what we need.

#30 of 47 Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 AM

My 36 week home visit is Tuesday.  I have a couple of supplies to get/find but nothing major.  The birth kit I ordered is here, towels/blankets/clothes are all washed. SO from that perspective I am feeling ready.  I was feeling good mentally, but DH and I have been having a hard time lately, he  hasn't read any of the hypnobabies materials, so mentally I am not feeling as prepared.  I am still working and will work through end of next week.  I feel I am more in work mode lately and really need to get out of my head, ya know. I also feel the need toprepare myself that DH will not be prepared in a way that I want him to be.I knew from the beginning he likely wouldn't, but he seemed to be interested and said he do whatever  Iwanted but now that we are about there, yeah, not so much. 

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page