#301 of 393 Old 02-14-2011, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

If there's anything we've learned on this thread it's that one person's issues don't even register for the next, ha?   I'll just wait and see if this is an issue for me...

That is very true. I remember that was one reason I was so overwhelmed with figuring out what to get when I first started to CD. There were/are so many different opinions and preferences. I just had to start trying stuff until I found what worked for me.

It's not too bad since you can resell anything you don't want or use (most of the time). I've had a hard time in the last 2 years trying to resell stuff. I used to list diapers exclusively on here until MDC started charging a fee for that. I haven't found anywhere to resell my diapers since. Mostly, I think that's because I wasn't too motivated to get involved with another message board and I don't like auctions or Craigslist or anything like that. Again, totally a personal issue for me. Others don't seem to have any trouble reselling their diaper stuff.

This is exactly why I did a cloth diaper trial. I think I went through Jillian's Drawers. At the time I think they let you keep them the longest. I did mine Sept 2009, but now I have seen some trials/rentals that look awesome. I really liked how they sent one of every popular diaper, some prefolds and covers and then I was able to send back what I didn't' like and keep what I liked.

Re: Open/closed pails. I vote for open. When we had a lid on our pail everything reeked. When we keep it open, you can't smell a thing.

I think a big part of cloth diapering is figuring out what works best for you/your washer/water/your baby. Everyone has a different situation, but I think message boards are awesome for trouble-shooting. My mom tried using cloth for me and had huge issues. She was very against me using cloth and basically said I told you so when DD started getting ammonia rashes. I loved it when I was able to clear all her issues up in less than a week from the help I got from other women on a cloth diapering message board. I told my mom if she had that resource when I was a baby, she probably would have stuck with cloth :)

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#302 of 393 Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

I thought of you all last night when I was talking to a friend about something going on with my 18 year old sister.  He has raised 3 kids to adulthood and he said, "Well, you're in the easy stretch right now."  Oy.  ;-)   

------------------------------------

Re: the pail -- how does this apply if you're planning on doing a hanging wet bag (like the style of the Planet Wise)?  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#303 of 393 Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:

My dad gave me the sage advice, "It get's easier when they're about 35."   It think it's true.  The challenges from newborn to 9 years are so different but they're just has hard, heartbreaking and rewarding.  

LMAO. He's probably very right. I think my dad started to relax with me when I got to be in the mid-30s. At least, that's when he started saying things about how he guessed I turned out okay after everything. I know I gave him a run through my 20s.

I think the hard thing for me is that I have two different child lifestyles going on at once. I've got the LOs who need constant attention and care, which means I don't get much time to myself. Then I've had the teenager, now young adult (ds1 was 2 months shy of 13 when ds2 was born), with late hours and wanting to be driven everywhere until he got his license while I was trying to snatch some rest or sleep here or there. I know it was hard for him because he didn't get the attention that a teenager needs because I was so busy with the LOs and so tired. Then just as things start to get settled again, I decide to throw another baby into the mix.

But, that has nothing to do with CDs. redface.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#304 of 393 Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 AM

WOW! I must not be as tolerant as you are. If my kids aren't sick. They are to leave me alone at night. lol

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by preggers5 View Post

It does happen. By the time my youngest was about three yrs old I actually started getting uninterrupted sleep. It's WONDERFUL! That's all out the window now. lol

Well, I've got an almost 20 year old, a 7 year old and a 3 1/2 year old and that still hasn't happened in my house. I do remember soon after my first I was sleeping fine. Now with more than one it seems at least one of them is disturbing me one way or another. Once they grow up and maybe move out, you stay up worrying about where they are and if they are ok. It never ends.

#305 of 393 Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 AM

I just bought 5 used proraps for 20 bucks and 6 brandnew thirtstie covers for 46 bucks. Did I get a good deal?

Someone unexpectedly gave me 12 infant indian prefolds. I plan to buy at least 24 more. Will 11 diaper covers and 36 prefolds be enough for the newborn stage?

#306 of 393 Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:

WOW! I must not be as tolerant as you are. If my kids aren't sick. They are to leave me alone at night. lol

I wouldn't call myself more tolerant. It's probably more of a difference in parenting philosophy.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#307 of 393 Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 PM

I'm getting a hanging pail made for me. It zips like normal wetbags, but I asked the woman making it to have the handles centered instead of on the side like my Planet Wise bag.  This way it can hang open off a door knob and still be opened. She said that's how she uses hers at home and it works.

Quote:

I thought of you all last night when I was talking to a friend about something going on with my 18 year old sister.  He has raised 3 kids to adulthood and he said, "Well, you're in the easy stretch right now."  Oy.  ;-)   

------------------------------------

Re: the pail -- how does this apply if you're planning on doing a hanging wet bag (like the style of the Planet Wise)?  

#308 of 393 Old 02-15-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

Thanks!  

I think the wet bag I am going to get is like you're describing (the large wet/dry bag from PW).  Is this what you're describing?  Do you think hanging this with one handle and leaving the zipper open will provide enough circulation?  http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=581

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#309 of 393 Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Yes. A WHAM is making one just like that for me except it won't have the dry pocket on it (no need if it's just going to be used in the house). I have the smaller version of this bag and love it. It will be perfect for two kids.

#310 of 393 Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 PM

I currently have a large trashcan but it is getting so crowded in our bathroom!! I'm considering using one of these http://www.organize.com/over-door-hamper-white.html lined with a wetbag. That way it stays open. But my hesitation is that I *know* DH will be dripping water all over my bathroom if I do it that way. He won't wring the dipes out when he rinses them. I'm just happy he will do it at all though so I don't complain.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#311 of 393 Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 PM

I just used a trash can with a popup lid - never had stink issues, but it also wasn't really sealed per se, kwim? I also never rinsed, just stuck the diaper in the pail - (well, nm, I did rinse once she had solid poops but since she didn't have that until like 18m and then she potty trained, it wasn't a big deal).

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#312 of 393 Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm excited, the pail liner I ordered came in the mail yesterday.  I feel like more pieces are falling into place.  On our local craigslist someone is selling a bunch of MEOS that I'm thinking of getting.  I wish I knew if we'll prefer fitteds, AIO or pockets after the nb stage...  I suppose since I'm getting them used, in case they don't get much use I can resell them and not lose much, right?

#313 of 393 Old 02-16-2011, 04:07 AM

I think I've decided to go with the flip system.  this is our 1st venture into cloth and it gets great reviews, seems easy to use (for me and DH, he's willing to try the flips) and isn't too expensive to get started.  I don't want to put too much into it but am planning to try to do cloth for 2-3 diapers a day to starte with and see how it goes.  I registered for cloth and some of my friends know that we are planning to part-time cloth and may be getting me some for my shower BUT I'd really like to have some on hand, too.  The flip trial is only $50 at cottonbabies.  So I am thinking I will just go ahead and order that.  Then I can see if get anything at showers and if not then I can order more and can get something different if we don't love them. 

***ETA- I just placed my very first ever cloth diaper order!!! SO EXCITING!!!!!***

nerdymom likes this.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#314 of 393 Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 AM

I got the Rainshine Designs diapers I bought the other day. They are gorgeous and so soft. I haven't used them yet so I can't say how absorbent but they come with 2 snap in soakers so I'm sure they are very absorbent. They look very well constructed, too. Here's the store if anyone is interested: http://hyenacart.com/onestore.php?vid=2558&category=88. They are WAHM hyena diapers so a bit hard to get and expensive but they are nice. She makes fitteds, pockets, AI2s and AIOs.

#315 of 393 Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 AM

i am thinking about doing a kissaluvs newborn rental through nell's natural--it works out to $100 for three months. i have some thirsties, prowraps, and soaker covers, and while i did prefolds with my previous kiddos, i want/am going to need more help with this babe, and think fitteds are more user-friendly than pinning or snappi-ing, so others can help with diapering. (this is all wishful thinking, i'm sure, i don't think anyone but DH or i have ever changed a single diaper on any of my kiddos!) after the newborn stage, i'm golden--i have 18 kissaluvs, lots of bummis sww covers and prefolds in small, and three dozen medium fuzzibunz that all of my kiddos have worn and that are still going strong--i may not love the fleece/PUL, but they were gifted to me when my oldest was a baby and they were the newest, coolest thing in cloth diapers! diapers sure have come a long way!

#316 of 393 Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 AM

I was going to do the kissaluvs rentals too, but I got really lucky and found 20 Little Joeys on craigslist for the same price. They haven't even been used! I think the AIO will be perfect for us in the nb stage and having DD be in diapers still. She's sort of potty training. I really like the idea of the newborn rental programs and some of the websites give you credit back if you purchase something after returning them.

#317 of 393 Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 AM

I have been searching the web for some used infant prefolds and having no luck.  So I put an ad up on Craigslist last night looking for them and already got two responses.  One lady has some EUC GMD's she will sell me for $15/ doz!  I am so excited! 

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#318 of 393 Old 02-16-2011, 06:52 PM

Cottonbabies.com is running a super good deal on infant prefolds. They are a dozen for 14.40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonicmama View Post

I have been searching the web for some used infant prefolds and having no luck.  So I put an ad up on Craigslist last night looking for them and already got two responses.  One lady has some EUC GMD's she will sell me for $15/ doz!  I am so excited! 

#319 of 393 Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Cottonbabies.com is running a super good deal on infant prefolds. They are a dozen for 14.40.

I ordered a dozen infant PF's from cottonbabies last week, and they just came in.  I really like them! I'm thinking of going back and ordering a dozen of the preemie size ones to use as doublers for my toddler...

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#320 of 393 Old 02-16-2011, 07:29 PM

I've really gotten into sewing my diapers. I've made several fitted diapers using the Darling Diapers free newborn pattern, and I just bought the Fattycakes pattern. I also made this cute little fleece soaker sleep sack. I had a few technical difficulties but next time it'll look better.

IMG_3960.JPG

I'm going to drop by Abby's Lane tomorrow and pick up another pail liner and wetbag for my diaperbag, and scope out their covers again. It's so nice to have a CD store semi-nearby! I'm leaning towards the Gen-Y covers because they have some adorable prints and they're WAHM made but cheaper than my beloved Thirsties Duos. I'm thinking about getting DH his own diaperbag, so that I'm not constantly hunting my own down. He'd like that I'm sure, since my bag is chocolate brown with big purple flowers all over it! lol!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#321 of 393 Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 PM

The sleep sack is very cute Nerdymom!

Thanks for the link and the good reference on the cottonbabies prefolds. I will order those rather than getting used ones. What a great deal!

DP and I each got our own diaper bags.  Mine is floral and very girly too.  I don't think he'd mind it really, but I wanted him to have something more masculine.  He got the skip hop duo bag from his sister at the shower.  She ordered it in lime green though, so we will be exchanging it for something more mellow. 

He really wants to make some fitteds for the baby and we found some really cute flannels at Walmart for petty cheap.  We're just sort of stuck on the snap thing.... what do we use for the nice plastic snaps?  All I see anywhere are presses for metal snaps.  Can someone stear us in the right direction? Maybe I should post this in the crafting thread....

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#322 of 393 Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 AM

I cloth diapered with DS, and in the first I'd say 3 months or so I used prefolds and prorap covers almost exclusively. With how often they need to be changed, it was the most cost effective way of diapering. After about 3-4 months, I used a combination of prefolds and all in ones. I only have 11 all in ones, so I either have to do diapers less than every other day or use a combination still. DS is 2, and I'm hoping he'll be done with diapers or using a lot less when new babe arrives, but again, for the first few months I'll be using prefolds on this baby, with all in ones only while out, simply because they hold in liquid better, and can go a little longer without a change. I have tried several different all in ones, and my favorite by far are bumgenius, even though they are harder to clean, and take a little prep work after they come out of the dryer(I go ahead and stuff them ahead of time) I also don't like that you can't use diaper cream without another barrier on the bumgenius, but I typically just switch to prefolds DS has a bad rash that needs diaper cream. I don't know if you are supposed to use diaper cream with prefolds, but they never wick or wear down, so I just stick with that. I am trying to figure out how many all in ones I need for when next babe arrives. I've already gotten 6 more, and I registered for another 6. Since I don't know how many diapers DS will be using, I don't know if this is enough. Any thoughts?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#323 of 393 Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 AM

This site will have pliers, presses and snaps http://www.kamsnaps.com/  I think they are the go to site for CDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonicmama View Post

The sleep sack is very cute Nerdymom!

Thanks for the link and the good reference on the cottonbabies prefolds. I will order those rather than getting used ones. What a great deal!

DP and I each got our own diaper bags.  Mine is floral and very girly too.  I don't think he'd mind it really, but I wanted him to have something more masculine.  He got the skip hop duo bag from his sister at the shower.  She ordered it in lime green though, so we will be exchanging it for something more mellow. 

He really wants to make some fitteds for the baby and we found some really cute flannels at Walmart for petty cheap.  We're just sort of stuck on the snap thing.... what do we use for the nice plastic snaps?  All I see anywhere are presses for metal snaps.  Can someone stear us in the right direction? Maybe I should post this in the crafting thread....

nerdymom likes this.

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#324 of 393 Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:

I got the Rainshine Designs diapers I bought the other day. They are gorgeous and so soft. I haven't used them yet so I can't say how absorbent but they come with 2 snap in soakers so I'm sure they are very absorbent. They look very well constructed, too. Here's the store if anyone is interested: http://hyenacart.com/onestore.php?vid=2558&category=88. They are WAHM hyena diapers so a bit hard to get and expensive but they are nice. She makes fitteds, pockets, AI2s and AIOs.

The look so soft, very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

I cloth diapered with DS, and in the first I'd say 3 months or so I used prefolds and prorap covers almost exclusively. With how often they need to be changed, it was the most cost effective way of diapering. After about 3-4 months, I used a combination of prefolds and all in ones. I only have 11 all in ones, so I either have to do diapers less than every other day or use a combination still. DS is 2, and I'm hoping he'll be done with diapers or using a lot less when new babe arrives, but again, for the first few months I'll be using prefolds on this baby, with all in ones only while out, simply because they hold in liquid better, and can go a little longer without a change. I have tried several different all in ones, and my favorite by far are bumgenius, even though they are harder to clean, and take a little prep work after they come out of the dryer(I go ahead and stuff them ahead of time) I also don't like that you can't use diaper cream without another barrier on the bumgenius, but I typically just switch to prefolds DS has a bad rash that needs diaper cream. I don't know if you are supposed to use diaper cream with prefolds, but they never wick or wear down, so I just stick with that. I am trying to figure out how many all in ones I need for when next babe arrives. I've already gotten 6 more, and I registered for another 6. Since I don't know how many diapers DS will be using, I don't know if this is enough. Any thoughts?

That sounds like plenty for a diaper bag, that would last you about 2 or 3 consecutive days.  It will be warmer once the baby gets here, so you can let your DS go bottomless at home and use the potty.  ( I kept a potty in one main room for each floor and I rarely had a mess to clean up)

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#325 of 393 Old 02-17-2011, 12:49 PM

I am. I Just finished my stash a few wks ago around 30wks. I was going to do a rental but seen that the 3mos I got the keep the one I was going with for $75 wasn't really that good of a deal if he doesn't end up actually fitting them for 3months and I can't keep them just in case I ever have another. Besides you can get a lot of nb sized up to 10lbs for $75 bucks. 

I ended up getting most of my NB stuff from greenmountaindiapers.com - 12 NB organic unbleached prefolds, 4 sherpa cotton diapers(so cute!) then my hemp doublers, fleece liners, and a few pins/snappis *there was that $75+7 shipping*. I also picked up one NB size BG AIO and 4 gmd prefold fitted's from another form I use for a great price. Then I got the rest of my current stash from ebay and again the other forum (babycenter). I have all sizes minus large, Mostly fitteds and a few pockets, even some wool stuff and I've spent about $170. But it took time.

Decided to use wetbags to conserve my limited space. 1 large wetbag W/handle in the middle, 1 med. dry/wet bag & 1 regular med. wet bag cost $40! total from a WHAM on B.C. They are pretty cute too. http://shop.ebay.com/75emsti/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

I prepped the prefolds and the hemp/unbleached stuff by boiling it 20mins to save water! then the 2 washes afterwards. I still hate prepping though, didn't expect that to be what I'd hate. 

I can't wait! to use them on my baby boy though happytears.gif

P.s. For those of you talking about selling off your dipes or buying I would really try to join babycenter's swap for that. That forum is definitely not dead and things get sold.

#326 of 393 Old 02-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Thanks Dierdre! I have the snap press from Kamsnaps.com (I bought one with a cosmetic defect, it's perfectly functional). Make sure you go ahead and buy the extra dies and the awl. You really do need the awl and the pliers come with the size 14/16 die on there, but the snaps you probably want to use for diapers are size 20.  Might as well get everything, then if you want to sell later it's a complete setup.

#327 of 393 Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the link Melissa!  I found that website last night and spent some time drooling over the snaps and the tutorials.  :)

ETA:  I just ordered the snap pliers from KAM and the Darling Diapers unlimited pattern.  I am impressed by how extensive the pattern is with all the options, and she offers great customer service (important since we've never made diapers before).

nerdymom likes this.

#328 of 393 Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Oh, nice! I've used the DD free nb pattern for several diapers and I like it. I understand the DDU purchased pattern is much nicer. I bought the Fattycakes pattern for my flannel diapers and I'm considering buying the DDU pattern still. It'll depend on how much I like the Fattycakes design I think.

Now that you have a snap pliers you ought to think about mama cloth too. I ended up buying a pattern (http://www.etsy.com/listing/67102711/kiki-cloth-pads-sewing-pattern-pdf) but you could use one of the MANY free tutes online. I just wanted something a little easier than making my own pattern, since I've tried it before and not liked it. My pads are really cute too, with pink snaps! And I used the pink snaps to fix a child's coat for a friend. Her DH (a Marine) didn't quite know his own strength and instead of simple tugging at a stuck zipper he yanked the zipper mechanism right off! lol She needed a quick fix because they were flying to Russia in two days so I cut off the zipper, sewed on some coordinating fleece and put snaps on the fleece. Worked like a dream and was actually pretty cute!

#329 of 393 Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 AM

I think that is enough diapers but, don't expect your kiddo to potty train necessarily. I started potty training my oldest when he was 11 months old (sit on potty at bedtime.) And, he didn't finally train until he was 3 and 3/4. Each kiddo is different. When he is ready for potty training, I really liked the imse vimse training pants.

My 2 year old sits on the potty from time to time, but has only peed on the potty once so far. I fully expect I'll be diapering 2 kiddos again once baby is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#330 of 393 Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 AM

Nerdymom:

I so wish I could sew. That sounds so neat. :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page