Who is doing Cloth Diapers? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You might never have a blowout in cloth! Our DD is now 2.5 years old and the ONLY blowouts she ever had were at daycare where she wears disposables.

We did have some early leg hole leaks with prefolds, but Thirsties covers and better folding technique stopped that in its tracks. But as far as the classic up-the-back blowout? Never happened.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenAnanas View Post

You might never have a blowout in cloth! Our DD is now 2.5 years old and the ONLY blowouts she ever had were at daycare where she wears disposables.

We did have some early leg hole leaks with prefolds, but Thirsties covers and better folding technique stopped that in its tracks. But as far as the classic up-the-back blowout? Never happened.

That would be great.  Our friends said they stopped doing cloth because of blow-outs, so I've been nervous. 

What folding technique do you prefer with prefolds?  I've been doing "Angel Wing."  I tried "Jelly Roll," too, but find Angel Wing simpler.  He's only had one serious leg leak so far.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 04-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Jelly roll, for sure, and when the infant prefolds were still too big, we folded them down towards the inside in the back rather than the front. I'm sure that helped. The leg thing also depends on the shape of the kid and your folding skills/style, so if angel wing works well for you, then keep it up!

Some people try to do the "tri-folded prefold loose in the cover" thing, but that is just asking for leaks. For breastmilk poo and pre-folds, pins or snappis are necessary IMO. 

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM

I think Ooey's fold looks really promising. Maybe there could be a combination of that and jelly roll?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Hey, mamas 

I'm back with a review from the first week of diapering.  

DIAPERS: I'm really happy with our Nicki's Diapers Imagine prefolds.  LL (our baby) was born 8lbs 3oz and fits the smalls.  I think the XS would have been too small as the Smalls seem pretty snug already.  We have 3 dozen, which is just enough (IMO).  The unbleached are noticeably softer than the bleached and I think the bleached are a tad smaller (or maybe they shrunk up faster?).  We're using the jelly roll fold.  

MISC: The Snappi seems to be even better than I remember from 9 years ago - pleased with that as well.  I love having good socks and babylegs.  

COVER: Our Kissaluvs (size Small) soaker and our two NB Loveybums wool wrap cover are the best covers by far.  I think I'll like the Aristocrats too because they are so similar to the Kissaluvs.  Now I wish I had gotten a Disana.  I'm not a fan of either of our PUL covers (Thirsties and Bummis).  They seem really uncomfortable for baby (to me...and especially compared to the wool).  We've got a few misc. wool covers that were either too scratchy or were and odd shape (Stacinator).  I also got a few fitted diapers to try but am so happy with the fit of the prefolds and snappi that I'm not even going to bother.  

WIPES: We chose Bumgenius wipes, which are OK but not worth the money.  They're hardly a step up from a pinking cut receiving blanket.  I LOVE The Lusa wipe solution.   We're using a disposable diaper container, which is working great.  

WET BAG:  We have a hand-me-down hanging wet bag that I would say is about 18"x24", which fits all our diapers from 3 days.  I wish I had gotten two of these rather than the big pail.  We're way more mobile about where we change DC so the small bag fits us better.  

WANTS: I wish we had splurged on a really nice wool (or the like) changing pad.  We've got a bunch of crappy ones and they're annoying.  I really wish we had more T-shirts for this baby.  We've got a billion onesies that we're not using.  

ADMISSION: We're using disposable for the night.  

LAUNDRY: I've only done it once.  1/4 scoop Country Save.  Cold followed by a hot wash.  Dry time wasn't too bad.  You can't even say you're folding prefolds.  I like it.  

QUESTION: The baby already has some poo coming through the diaper.  It's not leaking out the side or top but actually through - very wet poop, perhaps with a pee.  Is it already time for a doubler??  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

WANTS:   I really wish we had more T-shirts for this baby.  We've got a billion onesies that we're not using.  

I cut the snaps off to make the onesie a tshirt, the bottoms don't fray. they just roll up a little

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
Old 04-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the insights, IdentityCrisisMama! I noticed, too, that of the prefolds I've prepped, the unbleached are way softer and more quilty than the bleached ones. It's pretty amazing how soft and luscious they get. Can't wait to have opportunity to use them!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 PM

Don't worry, we're using sposies some at night, and I'm thinking about getting another pack to use only at night for the next couple of weeks. Then I don't have to change every feeding. I even put a hemp doubler in with her prefold and she was soaked after 3 hours, so there is no way I could skip a change then.

I noticed the same re: bleached and unbleached. I have a dozen of each. I am actually doing ok on that number of prefolds, but that is b/c my mom has been here doing DD & DS diaper laundry, the pail fills up quickly between the two. I'll have to wash every other day with the two of them compared to every 3-4 days with just DS, mainly because of the load size filling up quickly.

She's fitting the newborn orange GMD prefolds well now, maybe a couple weeks left of those before we move her to the yellow. She's in xs thirsties, and she's about 8 1/2 lbs.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 04-19-2011, 06:00 PM

I have a very heavy wetter too, having to wash prefolds once a day is very tiring. Considering our washer is outside in the back of the carport....I may go to sposies at night too. I hate to do that...but i'm going through so many diaper changes at night...and his little bottom is a little red today....i hate that! Not sure what else to do...considering i change his diaper so often. I use Rocking Green for hard water...because we have very hard water.....i hope the diapers are getting clean enough and rinsed enough!

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

we are using the kissaluvs contours with the elastic legs for diapers since they fit from 5-20lbs. we use some PUL covers and some wool covers depending on the outfit. we do use sposies at night just cuz im laaaazy

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 04-20-2011, 01:19 PM

Mama,

Do you remember what kind of Loveybums cover you got?  I see 4 different kinds on their website plus the pull on style.  I have 3 different newborn/small wool covers so far and was thinking of getting another 1 or 2.  I think I got a Kissaluvs pull-on, a Disana pull-on and another wool pull-on from Esty, oh and one Imse Vimse wrap wool cover.  Do you have a feel for how many wool covers are really needed?

Quote:

Hey, mamas 

I'm back with a review from the first week of diapering.  

COVER: Our Kissaluvs (size Small) soaker and our two NB Loveybums wool wrap cover are the best covers by far.  I think I'll like the Aristocrats too because they are so similar to the Kissaluvs.  Now I wish I had gotten a Disana.  I'm not a fan of either of our PUL covers (Thirsties and Bummis).  They seem really uncomfortable for baby (to me...and especially compared to the wool).  We've got a few misc. wool covers that were either too scratchy or were and odd shape (Stacinator).  I also got a few fitted diapers to try but am so happy with the fit of the prefolds and snappi that I'm not even going to bother.  

me + v + baby girl

Old 04-20-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb718 View Post

Mama,

Do you remember what kind of Loveybums cover you got?  I see 4 different kinds on their website plus the pull on style.  I have 3 different newborn/small wool covers so far and was thinking of getting another 1 or 2.  I think I got a Kissaluvs pull-on, a Disana pull-on and another wool pull-on from Esty, oh and one Imse Vimse wrap wool cover.  Do you have a feel for how many wool covers are really needed?

I don't remember for sure, sorry.  I think I may have one of the lighweight wool jersey and one wool jersey in a size small that I got new from Loveybuns seconds selection.  I also have one interlock in a size M that DH just put on the baby now.  

The lightweight wool jersey is really, really nice and so soft.  I also find it just fine if you change after each pee.  I was just holding the baby and she had peed and it held the pee for at least a half hour.  The baby peed again before I got a chance to change her and it leaked but wasn't too bad.  The other nice thing is that it's fast to dry so even if it gets quite soaked it will dry faster than some other wool.  Also, you can get a really, really nice fit with them.  Very slim.  I'd like to have one in every color!!  

As far as how many I need goes...that depends a little on laundry and how long the covers take to dry, which I don't have a good feel for yet.  Right now I have 2 wrap Kissaluvs wraps and 4 soakers that I like and that are in the baby's size.  I think a size up in either a wrap or a soaker would be a great choice for back-up covers.  I also have several covers that I don't really like that I would use if all the wool got dirty.  If pressed to say how many you need I would say 3 lighter weight (and faster drying wraps) and maybe 2 or 3 soakers would be good for daytime diapering.  That said, I think a couple of these could be a larger size that you just use as back-up.  

Old 04-22-2011, 02:50 PM

I've always used disposable wipes... how do you make cloth dipes work? It just always seemed gross to me because (this is from diapering a toddler) I end up picking up a big mess in the wipe when I change him and it seems that would need to be rinsed with the diaper sprayer too... and the thought of holding a tiny poop covered wipe and shooting it with high pressure isn't too appealing. Also, could I be cheap and just use baby washcloths instead of "cloth wipes?" or buy some fabric (what fabric would I use?) and cut up my own?  

Old 04-23-2011, 08:45 AM

IMO, any fabric works for wipes.  I started with a cut-up old flannel shirt, which actually made lovely soft wipes, but the fabric frayed, which made a mess in the laundry.  Hemming them would be a pain.  If I had a serger maybe serging the edge would be easy enough to be worth the effort.  Maybe a pinked edge would be sufficient?  Dunno.  Anyway, my mom came over with a bag of small bits of fleece left over from a craft project, and those work OK, but they wouldn't be my first choice.  It's hard to get fleece wet enough to do the trick for really messy diapers.  For the most part they work fine, though.  Besides those, we have a stack of baby washcloths which work MUCH better than anything else, but they're a bit bigger so they need to be folded before they go in the wipes box.  I don't mind the extra step, but some folks might.  IMO, wipes can be anything, as long as they can be wet. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:59 PM

Hmm, yeah. How DOES it work with cloth wipes and solid foods poo? Sounds like it could get pretty gnarly.

I have some Thirsties Fab wipes and ordered some hemp ones off eBay. Otherwise, I have plans to sew a bunch out of hand-me-down receiving blankets if I can ever figure out the sewing machine I borrowed.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Well, the past 3 days we've started getting some MAJOR blowouts, or as I like to call them, "poopsplosions."  They're decimating both the angel wing and jelly roll folds (prefolds w/covers).  Any tips?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Well, the past 3 days we've started getting some MAJOR blowouts, or as I like to call them, "poopsplosions."  They're decimating both the angel wing and jelly roll folds (prefolds w/covers).  Any tips?

lol I've always called them poopspolsions too.  No advice as I'm new to CD a newborn... where are you getting your blowouts? Through the legs or up the back?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:07 PM

i cut one of the hospital receiving blankets up into squares for wipes. as far as solid food poop I wipe most of the poop off with the diaper then the wipes aren't so bad.then i throw them into a wet pail.

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmy2Joshs View Post

lol I've always called them poopspolsions too.  No advice as I'm new to CD a newborn... where are you getting your blowouts? Through the legs or up the back?

Through the legs only, so far.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Through the legs only, so far.

I'm using the jelly roll fold and haven't had any leaks yet (well, we've had a a few THROUGH the diaper but none leaking from the sides or back).  Maybe you can adjust how you pin/snappi so that the fold is tighter around the legs?  

Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks!  That helps.  I think I might get a couple different Loveybums in different sizes.

me + v + baby girl

Old 04-24-2011, 06:38 PM

I wonder if you only rolled the edges up enough to make a tube so the pf can be pulled across the thigh (instead of hips like a fitted) if that would help.  With my other two I would do the angel wing fold, but when snappy-ing I would only fold the front and once I had it on tight I would tuck in the rest around the legs to make a psuedo-gusset, I *think* that worked ok for us wink1.gif

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
Old 05-12-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Jumping in to update.  We're still great with prefolds, snappy and wool.  I got a pair of whisper pants, which I like way better than the thicker wrap style PUL.  They seem comfortable and they're trim for when we want to use regular clothes and cheap for a back-up cover ($6).  I also have a Loveybums fleece cover and think fleece is going to be a good choice for us if we find we need covers that can be machine washed.  Also I LOVE our pair of interlock longies and think I'll use them a lot this winter.  

I started using a doubler too.  I like the hourglass or trimmer doublers in cotton or stay-dry.  I have a bunch of microfiber thirsties 5"x13" doublers.  Any ideas for how to convert them to hourglass/smaller doublers that can go next to baby's skin?  

Here are some links that look really interesting for cheaper diapers: 

http://www.babybunz.com/static.php?page=diapering&cat=39

http://www.babybestbuy.com/dappi-cloth-pinless-diapers-422.html?zenid=eef31c81566e76f1b0d35072bf5dbca7

Oh, and wetbags: Honestly, I think I prefer to just reuse a zip lock bag.  I wish I hadn't gotten a fancy wet/dry bag - too bulky and not practical for me.  

Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 AM

ICM, thanks for the links! I think I will be trying the babybunz! great price! we bought some green mountain fitteds and are loving them, these are much better price so I think I'll give them a try. smile.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 05-13-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

I know; great deal, ha?  I've read mixed reviews about whether a snappy can be used with these diapers or I would be jumping on them.  Which GMD fitteds do you have?  

Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 AM

cloth-eez workhorse!

LOVE.THEM.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 05-13-2011, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We're plugging along with the cloth here. I like the GMD prefolds/Snappi/Wool combo so much that I am selling the WAHM fitteds that I bought in order to buy more wool and larger prefolds.

My LO is a super soaker pee-er already so at night I have been using a thirsties hemp doubler in his prefold and a knit pull-up Sbish cover on him. No leaks so far but he is definitely soaked by early morning. dizzy.gif

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 05-16-2011, 06:41 AM

thanks for the links. we are using kissaluvs countours and hybrids here which have a double attached. the hybrids are still kind of bulky for grace ( too high diaper to baby ratio) we do have a few prefolds that we use when we need a trimmer fit. the countours are good for a trim fit too and they are so soft!.

as far as wet bags. i just use a reusable grocery bag. the one i have is waterproof and it only cost a dollar

Quote:

Jumping in to update.  We're still great with prefolds, snappy and wool.  I got a pair of whisper pants, which I like way better than the thicker wrap style PUL.  They seem comfortable and they're trim for when we want to use regular clothes and cheap for a back-up cover ($6).  I also have a Loveybums fleece cover and think fleece is going to be a good choice for us if we find we need covers that can be machine washed.  Also I LOVE our pair of interlock longies and think I'll use them a lot this winter.  

I started using a doubler too.  I like the hourglass or trimmer doublers in cotton or stay-dry.  I have a bunch of microfiber thirsties 5"x13" doublers.  Any ideas for how to convert them to hourglass/smaller doublers that can go next to baby's skin?  

Here are some links that look really interesting for cheaper diapers: 

http://www.babybunz.com/static.php?page=diapering&cat=39

http://www.babybestbuy.com/dappi-cloth-pinless-diapers-422.html?zenid=eef31c81566e76f1b0d35072bf5dbca7

Oh, and wetbags: Honestly, I think I prefer to just reuse a zip lock bag.  I wish I hadn't gotten a fancy wet/dry bag - too bulky and not practical for me.  

Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, everyone 

We're having success with nighttime cloth and thought I'd share.  We're using a prefold with a pumpkin-butt stay-dry doubler and a kissaluvs wool cover.  My main concerns with nighttime cloth was comfort and leaking.  The baby seems way more comfortable in the cloth and baby is in her nighttime diaper for 10 hours with no sign of leaking.  Another nice thing about the nighttime set-up is that we have only 3 pumpkin-butt doublers so it's a really great way to keep track of when it's time to do laundry.  

The baby is starting to out-grow her prefolds - I'm bummed to have to buy new ones and prep new ones already.  Maybe she'll grow slower and I can get a couple more months out of the ones we have.  I hate to buy new and do all the prep and all but because of shipping secondhand prefolds are even more expensive than new ones - bummer!  

I'm going to cross post this question in diapering but does anyone know if there is any other wool that is as soft as Kissaluvs?  I've tried lots of brands (LANA, Aristocrats, and lots more) and nothing I've seen even comes close.  I like interlock and the fabric used by Loveybums a lot but other than that I've not found anything else that is as comfortable as the Kissaluvs.  

Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, one more thing.  This is such a dorky question too and you won't believe but I actually googled it - LOL!!   How do you pack your bag for cloth diapering.  I feel like I am packing for a mini-vacation every time I need to go out for any stretch of time.  Plus, it's difficult to keep a fully stocked bag "on the ready".  Then when I go to use the diapers while I'm out my bag is totally trashed.  How do you fold your prefolds in your bag?  (I think that's a big part of my problem)   Anyone have a good system they'd care to share.  Do you have a style bag that works well?  I'm just using a cloth tote until I find a bag I like.  Do you feel that in order to keep a bag stocked you need more diapers, covers, blankets and etc?  Do you carry a separate mama bag?  My things are always at the bottom of the diaper bag.  

Do you think this is a pathetic thing to have to ask?  That's ok...I agree with you!  ROTFLMAO.gif

User Tag List