Who is doing Cloth Diapers? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2011, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I have another wool question.  With something like an un-felted Aristocrat - can you stretch the cover over your diaper or does that cause leaking.  I'm looking at this small Aristocrat and I swear if this new baby grows the same as DC this diaper will fit for A LONG time, especially if you can stretch it over a diaper.  Thanks!  

You can stretch them a bit, you'll loose a little absorbancy and might have compression wicking if you stretch them too tight.

For washing..  I used Dawn to wash my diapers when I had a top loader.  I never had a problem with smell, buildup.. etc.  It was super economical.  I did a hot sanitary cycle in my washing machine once every week or two with bleach.  I tried a bunch of other detergents recommended widely for CDs, but none of them did the job of just plain Dawn.  It only took like 1/4- 1/2 a Tbsp.  Id also put in a downy ball of vinegar and Id use eCover fabric softener sometimes if the hemp started to feel crunchy.  Tide worked well but it was more expensive.  Id use it and some baby oxyclean..  I know lotsa people dont like tide, but my diapers were clean, smelled good and DD never had a rash.

I dunno what Ill do now that I have a front loader.  I think I might use my shower head as a sprayer for the poopy diapes since it reaches easy.. and I might do a squirt of bac out on everything. 

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:

MW,

Also, I just got out the felted Lana diaper I have and I've got to say I don't like it as much - but maybe it's way more absorbent (seems so).  Perhaps I'll use that at night and use the unfelted knit by day?  

Yep, that's what I thought it was. I've never used those but, if they are anything like my knit soakers, they will stretch a lot. I never liked the felted ones as much. I had one, can't remember the brand now. It go stinky and lost it's water-resistance after a while (2 babies so it still did last a long time). No matter how often or how much I lanolized it, it just wouldn't stop leaks anymore.

You have to be careful not to use in "Free" detergents on your dipes. Apparently, there's something in them that will make them lose absorbency. I found out the hard way. I always use Charlie's Soap on my dipes now. I won't use the big brands you can get in the stores anymore.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 PM

I just googled Angelwing fold and it does look like it would trap more poo than just a trifold.  I have 2 snappi's a friend gave me so that looks like the way to go. 

It also looks like Bummis Original is the best cover for preemies (and it is cheap - the Bummis Super Brights are way too expensive for me).  Or maybe the Litewrap.

Boy is GMD an awesome website.  I love how they have pictures of different sized babies in different diapers.  Most websites I've been too don't talk much about tiny babies.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Liora, 

From what I've been reading I may have settled on a couple of Proraps for the newborn period.  I think they're like 8 bucks and have the umbilical notch.  They seem to come up on a lot of threads that specifically talk about the newborn period.  

ETA: I just looked up the Bummis Original.  Similar price to the Proraps and I think that may have been what I used for DC with the diaper service diapers.  Whatever it was had the mesh lining and I remember being happy with those (though I didn't know there were any other covers back then.  Grodiapers also have the mesh and it seems like a good thing to have in there for some reason.    

Anybody care to weigh in on the Bummis Original or Proraps for the newborn stage?  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 PM

IDC.. about the lana.. they definitely arent the cutest, but I find them soft enough and their plus is that they are bulletproof.  Id recommend them just for overnights.

Thirsty extra smalls have the umbilical cord notch too.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:02 PM

I've never worried about bacteria in the washing machine. We've never had a problem with illness -- we got sick the same amount and with the same frequency when CDing as before and after (that is to say, hardly at all, and rarely more than a cold).

I used a top loader with previous CDing, now we have a FL. My washing routine: I wash one time on cold and vinegar (this cycle is to rinse away the poop), then on hot with Charlie's, vinegar, tea tree oil, then a third wash (on hot if I can still smell poo, otherwise cold), with baking soda and sometimes more TTO. I'll sometimes do an extra rinse, but usually don't need it.

Not sure if this has been covered in this thread yet (can't remember seeing it but I don't think I've caught every post). One thing to be careful of is what detergent you use with CDs. Scent and softeners are really bad for the diapers. Before I started using Charlie's I used a free and clear (forget which brand though).

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Anybody care to weigh in on the Bummis Original or Proraps for the newborn stage?  

I can't on experience but I do have 2-3 of what I think are prowraps, def newborn size. My mom bought me this little bundle of 2 or 3 wraps and some bamboo inserts from a consignment store.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 01-28-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:

I haven't tried them but I wouldn't do Bummis Originals with young babies since they don't have double gussets to keep in the poo.

I think proraps have the double gussets, so they should work alright. I've used a coupl proraps all in ones which are basically a proraps cover sewn over the top of a prefold. They did fine but I will say the quality of the cover didn't seem as good as other covers I've owned (thirsties sized V1 and V2 and Bummis Super Brites.) The bad thing with the proraps back when I tried them (2007) was that they didn't have the wash tabs so the velcro kept snagging the edges of the cover and fraying it. The cover looked pretty awful after a while but I still have at least one of the diapers and it still works fine so it'd work but it's not my fave.

As far as a washing routine. I personally run a cold wash and rinse with baking soda (hard water.) And then a hot wash/cold rinse with naturoli extreme 18x soap nuts liquid soap (LOVE) with a bit of baking soda and sometime free and clear oxiclean. I would not use oxiclean baby as I think it has the baby scent to it just like other baby type washing products. I currently have a front loader. 

I think that it was easier to use a top loader with cloth diapers and if I could go back in time I'd have gotten that instead of my samsung wash, but my washer does alright. I was attempting to save money on water costs as they are a bit high where I'm living. Oh well.

My wash routine with a top loader was different. I'd simply do a prerinse (but I'd probably change that to a cold wash and cold rinse if I had one again) and then I would use arm and hammer essentials free and clear (loved.) And then I would do an extra rinse at the end. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My hubby and I are going to CD. We've got some one size BumGenius pocket diapers and a bunch of prefolds and thirsties covers. I think we also have a few fuzzibunz.

I'm really excited, always wanted to use cloth! joy.gif

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 AM

I'm not a fan of Bummies or Proraps covers but I'm not a fan of PUL so take my opinion FWIW. If I remember correctly from 5-6 years ago. the Bummis covers I had allowed urine to soak through. I didn't have the greatest diapers at that point, though, (Motherease one-size) so that may have been the issue.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:12 AM

We're doing cloth again this time.  Most of our stash from DS is still fine (a few have shot elastic, so we'll replace those as needed).  For the newborn stage, we have Kissaluvs, NB Mutts & Loveybums.  Once he's out of those, we have prefolds, Goodmamas, SBish, Peanut Butter & Ellie, and a few assorted pockets awaiting.  For covers, we use wool almost exclusively...longies, shorties & soakers...mostly Wild Child Woolies.  LOVE her stuff!

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 AM

I would love to try wool but I haven't found an "on a budget" option.  Am I missing something?  (especially with twins on the way I'm trying to do it on the cheap).

Good point about the gussets in proraps v. bummis. 

Anyone have experience with Litewraps?  According to GMD they are the smallest preemie diapers available.

Also, why doesn't GMD sell proraps?  Seems weird.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:47 AM

What's the budget?  The nice thing about wool is that unless it gets poop on it, it doesn't really need to be washed often (once every couple weeks is fine) so you don't really need a lot of covers (3 or 4 is plenty for a singleton, IME).  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liora View Post

I would love to try wool but I haven't found an "on a budget" option.  Am I missing something?  (especially with twins on the way I'm trying to do it on the cheap).

Good point about the gussets in proraps v. bummis. 

Anyone have experience with Litewraps?  According to GMD they are the smallest preemie diapers available.

Also, why doesn't GMD sell proraps?  Seems weird

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 PM

nerdymom: hahaha! yes, my husband is an engineer. The idea of homebirth hit him hard when I first mentioned it, but now he's completely on board with a HB. The CD discussion has only come up twice so far, so I should have expected some resistance to this as well :-) I have enough ammo about this now and will gently speak to him about it tonight. Thanks!!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Thx ladies! I've been devouring all this information.

What do you think of this newborn package. Here is the link to the site http://www.thanksmama.com/Basic_Newborn_Package_p/dpk-705.htm

Is it enough?

Is too much of the same sizes?

Is it too expensive?

Are they good brands?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Also, do you put your prefolds in the dryer?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:08 PM

I love newborn prowraps!  They are the cheapest and fit so well on scrunchy babies!  I would do whatever I could to have as many newborn covers as possible -- just to keep it easy during the first few weeks.

Just pulled out my newborn/small stash and am trying to figure out what I need.  I've cloth diapered 3 kiddos, but I always feel overwhelmed trying to make decisions.  Balancing cost vs ease of use gets to me!

Most of my small dipes are homemade fitteds with PUL covers.  I definitely need some more to round out my stash, so I'm trying to decide on which free pattern to use (I make big babies, so I want to have something that's usable for a newborn, but won't get outgrown in a week...).  Or I may just go with some prefolds -- cheap and easy to wash.

If you're new to CD'ing, I'd suggest spending more of your budget on the medium size (usually from about 13lbs to 25lbs), just because kiddos seem to stay in that stage the longest (even my very chunky baby was in med. until she was potty-trained). 

I have some pockets, and prefer the Fuzzibunz in that category (because of the fit, snaps, holds up well), it's nice to have a few that any babysitter can handle, and I usually keep them in my diaper bag for quick changes when we're out an about.

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 01-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preggers5 View Post

What do you think of this newborn package. Here is the link to the site http://www.thanksmama.com/Basic_Newborn_Package_p/dpk-705.htm

This seems like a nice variety, esp in the covers, except I wouldn't want premie sized prefolds. They'd hardly last a couple of weeks on most babies, I would think. Maybe someone knows of another package that would give the same variety of covers?

Yes, I dry prefolds all the time. If they are stained and we have enough sun, a couple hours in direct sunlight is perfect for getting that stain out.  But, I use stained prefolds too, they are clean.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 01-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Donutmolly - I would like to try to make some covers.  I'm pretty novice in the sewing arena though.  It seems like a big responsibility to make something that has to keep poo in (as opposed to a pillow or felt play food, lol).  How hard do you think it is to sew?  What patterns do you like?

Can I just say Greatest Thread EVER!  :)

Old 01-29-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoose View Post

Not sure if this has been covered in this thread yet (can't remember seeing it but I don't think I've caught every post). One thing to be careful of is what detergent you use with CDs. Scent and softeners are really bad for the diapers. Before I started using Charlie's I used a free and clear (forget which brand though).

Just wanted to add, ecover fabric softener is safe for CDs.. if you search diaperswappers youll find a bunch of info on it.  Some people say the 7th gen is okay too.. basically, plant based softeners.  It's really nice not to have crunchy diapers ;)

Old 01-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Liora:

The smallest covers I know about are proraps newborn and bummis super brite newborn. Both have double gusset covers and I think they should hold in the newborn poo well. I have thirsties newborn covers - which run larger. I got those because my babies tend to come out bigger - (7 lb 14 oz and 8 lb 8 oz.)

I have used the bummis super brites without leaks. They work very similarly to the thirsties. I'd never get original bummis or any other cover without double gussets for EBF babies. 

Proraps would be good on a newborn I think. I would not want them in the larger sizes though as they aren't as durable in my experience as the other covers. (I gave my limited experience with them in a previous post.) 

I think these pics would be really helpful to you. Some of the pics show preemies and small newborns in covers...

http://greenmountaindiapers.com/newborn_baby_diapers.htm

More pics...

http://greenmountaindiapers.com/superbrite.htm'

http://greenmountaindiapers.com/thirsties.htm

http://greenmountaindiapers.com/thirsties_duo.htm

If you click on the different cover types it will give a link to more pics for all the covers.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

Old 01-29-2011, 03:59 PM

I personally don't like that package. Because I don't like...

bumgenius (base on reviews)

Kushies ultra - (based on awful personal experience)

Any cover without a double gusset. The only bummis cover with a double gusset is the super brite which is not listed in that package

15 wipes is not very many. Technically wipes are only needed during poo diapers but there are a lot of those in the early stages. I'd probably want 30 wipes.

------------------------------------------------

Those kissaluvs hybrid contours look very interesting to me. I'd also get some newborn double gusset covers like - proraps(not recommended in sizes above newborn IMO), thirsties xs, Bummis super brite newborn, imse vimse covers, etc. I also like the prefolds. Prefolds are an excellent option for a budget. 

I'd recommend 30 diapers for a newborn. They go through up to 12 a day and you need a bit of time to wash them. I prefer to wash every other day. If you think you would like to wash every day, I suppose you could get by with less.

The amount of covers you should have on hand should be between 4 and 6 (some people like to have 7 or 8 if they use unfastened prefolds but 6 should be enough.) If you only have 4 - may have to hand wash the covers in between. I don't want to bother with that so that's why I have 7 (though I'd be fine with 6.) 

Doublers can be useful depending on which diapers you get. Doublers could help with prefolds but you could also just double up prefolds for overnight whatever. Just so there is a bit of extra absorbency for longer sleeping stretches.

You'll want a diaper pale liner or hanging diaper pale (made of PUL) and a couple of small wet bags for when you go out of the house. You may want a snappi for use with prefolds.

Yes, I would recommend putting prefolds in the dryer at least for a few times til they soften up. You can line dry after that if you want.

HTH

Quote:

Old 01-29-2011, 04:22 PM

Thought Id share some of my fav links

http://goodmama.typepad.com/goodmama/2008/05/make-your-own-wool-dryer-balls.html

I made a zillion of these.  Id put a little satchet of flax in the center and then I actually inject the balls with eos when the scent wears off.  That's how I sent my diapers ;)

Longies patterns

http://www.fullvid.com/wool/WSLinks.html

http://www.aubreydoodlepants.com/

Bellbottom longies (soo cute)

http://alison.knitsmiths.us/pattern_baby_bell_bottoms.html

Another longies pattern

http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/organicwool/newbornpantspattern/Tiny%20Birds%20Newborn.pdf

curlypurly soaker

http://www.curlypurly.com/pdf/soaker.pdf

Cheaper shorties/longies providers (no stalking)

http://www.cottontailbaby.com/item_121/Kozy-Designs-Wool-Shorties.htm

http://www.llamajama.com/products/item_100/pink-green-wool-multi-wool-shorties.htm

Favorite board for advice on making your own and patterns

http://diaperdivas.proboards.com/index.cgi?

How to turn and topstitch with a regular sewing machine

http://diaperdivas.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sticky&action=display&thread=3641

This site has great tutes on how to sew blind elastic, how to use casings.. yadda yadda.. how to sew fold over elastic (like on covers like bummis, thirsties, etc)

Love that she has so many freebies up, great pics and instructions.  I really adore the not so flat wrap and have made many of the others

http://makingitlittlebylittle.wordpress.com/category/freebies/

Fave fabric sites

http://www.girlcharlee.com/index.php/cPath/131

http://www.celticclothswholesale.com/

http://www.sewzannes.com

http://www.thefabricfairy.com/

http://kidsinthegarden.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

Yahoo coops : search diaper fabric

Use a wipes container or warmer with cloth wipes :)

http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site/view_shared?p=53e6514e56c4019c21ff10&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Cutest longies ever

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTblu.html

folds.. love the bikini twist and the angelwing.. bikini twist is great for heavy wetters.  You can kind of adjust where the twist is to where they wet.. so you can get away without doing doublers for a bit.

http://www.dy-dee.com/html/bikini_twist.html

Fave fold ever.. the jellyroll

http://www.littleturtleknits.com/sidewallpf.htm

dye your prefolds

http://lookwhaterinmade.blogspot.com/2007/06/ive-been-dyeing-to-do-this.html

Good reference if you want to try drafting your own patterns

http://www.diapersewing.com/measurements.htm

Fave diaper salve, better butt(er) cream - all natural and CD friendly.. love the vapor rub too.

http://www.northernessence.com/catalog.php?category=5

How to make a fitted from a prefold

http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold_to_fitted.htm

Soaker pattern

http://community.livejournal.com/punk_knitters/110889.html

Love love love tie nappies..  you can use any fabric, put a folded prefold, flat or a couple doublers inside.  They work best on nonmobile babies.

http://barelyknittogether.com/make-and-do/how-to-make-a-tee-shirt-tie-diaper/

http://wearyourbaby.com/Portals/0/TieDiapers/images/IMG_4380.jpg

Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Mamachef - THANK YOU for all those links, that's amazing! You should think about turning that into a wiki, I think that is such a helpful post!

I just popped in to share a picture of my Sunbaby diapers, they came today! So I'm going to make some extra inserts out of microfiber towels, fleece longies, soakers, tshirt prefolds and a healthy stack of wipes and consider myself done!

IMG_3879.JPG

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 AM

I have a question for experienced CD moms. Do you prefer pre-folds or pockets?

I have never cloth diapered but so far I'm leaning towards prefolds. The pocket diapers seem like more wash to me. But that's only based on observation. What do you think?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:

I have never cloth diapered but so far I'm leaning towards prefolds. The pocket diapers seem like more wash to me. But that's only based on observation. What do you think?

It's really such a personal preference. I would have to say that I'd probably choose pockets (Fuzzibunz, specifically) over prefolds. I do not like fiddling with pins and snappis don't work well with knit covers. The edges of the snappi gets snagged in the wool. Also, I could never get those snappis to stay put. They were forever coming off and/or one corner of the prefold would slip down.

Prefolds would be less set up, take down and laundry, though. With pockets, you have the pocket shell and whatever you stuff them with, prefolds, flats, special liners (stuffers) made for pockets. You have to stuff them before use and unstuff them before washing. With prefolds, you just have the dipes and covers and the covers don't need to be washed every time.

On another note, I wanted to 2nd whoever suggested investing mostly in medium sized whatever you get. My babes stayed almost exclusively in the medium or size 2 diapers and covers. They were in smalls for only a few months in the beginning (never small enough for newborn size) and potty trained or using trainers way before they would have ever fit into larges.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Pockets. I like prefolds and would choose prefolds on a budget, but I like that pockets can be prestuffed so that when it comes to the diaper change you just quickly wrap it around baby. I have contours, fitteds and a few pockets and AIO's. Contours are my favorite overall because they are cheap and easy to quickly wrap on baby. Though if you would trifold prefolds, I suppose they could be just as easy. I always had issues with bunching with prefolds though. They still worked but yeah. I never had a problem using a snappi. I wouldn't use pins because I'm clumsy and could easily stab myself or the baby and that would suck.

My favorite pockets that I've tried are Thirsties. I have the old pocket AIO hybrid thirsties. I've used them through 2 kids so far. I expect they will last through my 3rd just fine. I don't know about hte new version known as the Thirsties duo diaper. I've heard mixed reviews but I'd think they'd be worth a try. Love the double gussets.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

I have a size question.  I am expecting that this new baby will have a similar growth pattern as my DC, which means she/he will be born on the larger size (8-9lbs) and then basically not grow much. My DC went from like 90th percentile to off the charts small in that first year.  She was well into her 3rd/4th year and I was still buying clothing in the baby section.  

For me, with something like the Kissaluvs size small, which goes until 15 lbs, I would assume that would fit this new baby through potty learning.  

What is my point?  I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance with buying mainly smalls with our particular family growth patterns because I hate to ignore all this good advice to bulk up on mediums (I've seen this advice all over the place so no doubt it's good advice!).  

ETA: Also, because my DC grew so slowly, I tended to not like to "buy big" for her and just in general don't like my babies to have to wear over sized clothing.  I think DC didn't really like it so I never much bothered with sizing up.  Now if I had a kid that grew like a weed you can better believe she/he would have to do that but for a kid who wears the same stuff for like 3 years in a row, it isn't worth the trouble.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My babies grow small and slow too--we never buy bigger clothing ahead of time. dd2 is 3.5 years old and only 25 pounds. I got mostly XS/Newborn diapers for now but anticipate being in Smalls for a long time. Mediums look HUGE. One size look huge too.

Quote:

I have a size question.  I am expecting that this new baby will have a similar growth pattern as my DC, which means she/he will be born on the larger size (8-9lbs) and then basically not grow much. My DC went from like 90th percentile to off the charts small in that first year.  She was well into her 3rd/4th year and I was still buying clothing in the baby section.  

For me, with something like the Kissaluvs size small, which goes until 15 lbs, I would assume that would fit this new baby through potty learning.  

What is my point?  I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance with buying mainly smalls with our particular family growth patterns because I hate to ignore all this good advice to bulk up on mediums (I've seen this advice all over the place so no doubt it's good advice!).  

ETA: Also, because my DC grew so slowly, I tended to not like to "buy big" for her and just in general don't like my babies to have to wear over sized clothing.  I think DC didn't really like it so I never much bothered with sizing up.  Now if I had a kid that grew like a weed you can better believe she/he would have to do that but for a kid who wears the same stuff for like 3 years in a row, it isn't worth the trouble.  

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 AM

I'm going to say that each kid is different so I would not base my purchase strictly on your first DC's growth. Probably, your baby will be born at around the same weight but that's no guarantee either. So, I wouldn't go crazy buying diapers until you see what you are dealing with. If you have diapers already in the small size then you can wait and see if your next child starts growing out of them, when/if you'll need the next size up.

Quote:

Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM

On the pockets v. prefolds question.  I really love my Fuzzi Bunz OS pockets.  However they are expensive - so for the time between newborn and when FB fit (they say 7 lbs and up but I've heard 9-10 lbs is more realistic) I'm going with prefolds just because they are cheaper and will be used for less time.  I don't want to spend the money to have the xs FB that they'll only be in for a while.  I'm hoping my FB one size will fit through potty learning for all 3 kids!

The stuffing and unstuffing isn't that big a deal and it makes diaper changes easier.  So I guess you're either stuffing after washing or folding/pinning/snappi-ing during changes. 

User Tag List