Who is doing Cloth Diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)

I've found the CD forum to be a little inactive for my purposes so I thought I'd post here and see if any of our DDC mamas want to chat about cloth diapers.  

I'm not exactly new to CD but I used a service with DC and that was before I knew all the crazy array of options that are available out there.  I find the whole thing overwhelming!  Plus, I was gifted a great stash of pocket diapers that are way high-tech and it's making the whole thing even more confusing as far as getting a stash going.  

So, what are your thoughts mamas?  Wanna share some ideas, plans and etc?  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lurk.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#3 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 AM

This is my first child, but I like the idea of using cloth.  Our wrinkle is that we don't have a washer/dryer in our apartment -- or the building.  So we've signed up for an organic cloth diaper service (prefolds with covers) and we'll see how long we can afford it. 

Here's a helpful handout from the May 2010 issue of Mothering: http://diaperkind.com/Lingo.html

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#4 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Great link NR!  

I LOVED a diaper service - it was like magic!  We just used the covers that came with the service but if I could have done that over again I would probably have bought some better covers.  

#5 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 AM

I absolutely want to chat cloth diapers! I'm obsessed with cd'ing this baby! Well, maybe "obsessed" is a little strong. Actually, no its not. I could talk about it all day, and unfortunately, no one else in my life is excited as I am. 

I absolutely find it overwhelming, too. I've been lurking the forums and researching cd'ing for about three months now, and I was starting to feel like I had a pretty good grasp of it…until I received a package of all-in-ones in the mail to use for my son at bedtime. Then I realized I had so, so many questions, and it zapped some of my confidence. Ah well, cd'ing is going to be trial and error, regardless of how much I lurk the forum history and watch youtube tutorials.

I'm going to try getting the baby set up for the first couple months with a budget of around $300 using exclusively prefolds/flats and covers. Just waiting for tax return money...

#6 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 AM

Me too! One of my IRL friends is an avid cloth diaperer (is that even a word?) she gave me a great breakdown in an email of the different types, and pros and cons of each (she's tried everything) she gave the nod to GDiapers. I'm going to use the biodegradable flushable inserts at first, because I think with two, the washing etc might become overwhelming. I think I'll eventually try to switch to cloth inserts once I get the hang of it though! We don't get diaper service way out here in the country, and I don't know how the other tenants would feel if I had them pick up and drop off outside my office, but it sounded like a really good idea! What types are you ladies considering?

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#7 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 AM

I CD some with DS (not currently bc washing dipes makes me so ill right now). I didn't start until he was 8 months old, and I used prefolds and snappi'd covers. I liked it, but then I tried pockets and I really, really love pockets. My biggest obstacle was price. But then I found sunbaby one size pocket diapers, for $4.30/each they are a great price. I have several friends who are using them with great success. I'm expecting my order to arrive soon. I'll have 24 diapers to start out with, and I think I'll use them around the clock in the beginning. Then when I'm not changing diapers at night any more I will switch to prefolds with fleece soakers at night.

For me the most important qualities I look for in a cloth diapering system are:

Afforability

Ease of use

Ease of care

Cuteness

Affordability. When starting to CD, set your budget first. CDing can be addictive because there are so many adorable diapers out there. But if you drop a couple grand on a diaper stash - what are you going to do when your baby has a nasty, horrible poop in one? Freak out because there is a stain and oh it was $$ and HTF and if only it weren't stained you could get $$-$$$ because it's the "it" diaper right now? It's a diaper ladies. It's for holding in baby poop. If I could afford to spend $25 on a good quality, WAHM made diaper, I would choose it in a heartbeat over my cheap $4 Chinese diapers. But I cannot. So I chose the cheaper diaper because I'm realistic about myself and the used CD market. I doubt I will want to spend the time selling my diapers when they are done. And quite frankly, I want to have a lot of kids so my diapers probably won't be worth anything when I'm done with them. Reselling is not for everyone. Don't be swayed into buying diapers you cannot afford on the promise that you can sell them afterward. All it takes is a redesign, a new hot brand, or a few bad reviews for the resale value of a cloth diaper to plumet.

Ease of use. Some people will say, well, if you can't afford Fuzzibunz or whatever brand they adore, then you should go the prefold or flat diaper route. Well, some people love their flats or prefolds. I didn't. I wanted something that I could be wham, bam, done. Prefolds are slightly more work intensive. For overnights I like a prefold with a doubler and a fleece soaker because by golly they are cheap and they WORK. Try a cloth diaper trial program, like the one from Jillian's drawers. For a small fee you can try many different types of cloth diaper and figure out which ones you like to use. Because if you don't like to use them, you are far less likely to stick with it for the long haul.

Ease of care. Cloth diaper are pretty easy to care for in general, but some diapers are more inclined to have build up issues. Cotton is by far the easiest to care for and the least likely to have build up issues. It does stain more easily though. Microfleece doesn't stain as much but is more prone to build up. Stripping a diaper is easy to do, but some people find the prospect daunting and like to stick with natural fibers.

Cuteness. I have a friend who doesn't care a fig what her diapers look like. She used prefolds and the cheapest, white covers she could find. And I say good for her. For me, I will choose a cute print over a solid almost every time. I don't have a single white diaper cover. I like bright colors. And yes it might cost me a teeny bit more, but for me it's worthwhile because they are so darn cute!! That being said, I always fulfill my other criteria first, before buying a cute diaper. If you let cuteness rule, well, bad things start to happen in your wallet!!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#8 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 AM

We started CDing with our third child.  I had to keep it "easy" since my DH is a SAHD and does most of the diapering and the laundry.  We went with mostly Bum Genius 3.0's.  They still fit DD2 now and are in good shape.  We put them away a couple months ago and switched to cloth pull--ups for potty training.  I can't remember what they're called, but they work well. 

So now the BG's are ready for this new little one.  I thought CDing was going to be harder than it was, but it was really pretty easy.  DH did a good job with it!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#9 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 AM

We would like to cd part time this baby.  I did not with the first 2.  I am overwhelmed when I go to the cd boards and therefore have not done anything with this.  I did some research a few months ago and saw the flip diapers get some good reviews.  I was also looking at bum genius since my SIL used those and liked them and we tend to have similar shaped kids. Big but long and lean.  I"m actually hoping that some of my cd'ing friends get me some stuff at the shower so I can try stuff w/o spending any $$.  But most likely I will end up signing up for a trial thing toward the end of march. 

I read an article that even if you cd 1 day a week it makes a huge difference for the envioronment. DH was so NOT into cd before but he kinda has had some fun researching the newer options, esp the hybrid systems. So we are making the commitment to part time cd. and who knows where we will go from there. 

would love to hear if anyone else has any experience with the flip or g diapers or any of the hybrids.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#10 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 AM

I used plain ol' prefolds and white covers with DD, and will use them again for this DS.  Honestly, if you have your own washing machine, I can't imagine why you wouldn't.  It's just so easy and cheap.  Plus I think the big cloth diaper butts make little babies easier to hold and it's a nice cushion when they fall down.  It was so weird when DD started wearing underwear--hey, where'd your butt go??  lol.gif  My only advice is that when your DC gets older, stay the hell away from velcro/aplix.  Once they learn how to open them, you've gotta stick with snaps.

I used a super lazy/laid back form of EC and it helped cut down on the laundry, among other benefits.  Although I'm still a little intimidated by the thought of ECing a boy this time around...

#11 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 AM

I used pocket diapers with my first two (still using them with #2!), and love them.  They're easy to put on because it's so similar to a disposable diaper.  You do have to remove the inserts before you wash and re-stuff them afterwards, but for the ease and convenience, it's a small price to pay for me.  I tried using fitted diapers when #2 was born, but I had issues with them leaking and not wicking, so I gave that up pretty quickly.  I think some of it had to do with the material used and the sizing was a little off, but I couldn't afford to get more at the time so I went back to pockets.  I'm planning on using pockets again this time and maybe trying EC...

hbac.gifknit.gifsewmachine.gif

SAHM to DD1 12/07, DD2 11/09, and expecting 04/11!
#12 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Me me me! This will be my first time using cloth. I read so many forums, articles and websites that my head was spinning. We will be using prefolds (GMD) and fitteds (mostly adorable prints) with Thirsties covers for now. I may or may not switch to a different type of dipe depending on how it goes.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

#13 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 AM

I am not pregnant, but I Cloth diapered my son for 3 years.  He started the potty about 4 months ago. 

I used most every type of diaper out there.  Fitted, pockets, AIO, prefolds with covers, all in 2 and probably others.

My favorite was fitteds with wool pants (longies) as a cover. The wool acts as diaper cover and pants at the same time.  For ease I would say I loved pocket pocket diapers.  They were easy to use, easy to wash, and they worked really well.  There are lots of WAHM made pocket diapers, but our favorites ended up being Fuzzi Bunz.  We also used some bum genius pocket diapers with applix for when grandpa would watch our son. 

I love cloth diapers and they were really easy to use.

I also must say that having a diaper sprayer made cloth diapering a breeze. 

#14 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 AM

We have been full-time CD'ing with DD (20 months) and plan to CD this baby too.  I've tried a bunch of systems and here's my feedback on the pros and cons:

Pocket diapers (we have BumGenius and FuzziBunz)

PROS:

fast and convenient to put on/take off - more like a disposable

easy for DH to deal with (he won't do prefolds 'cause he's terrified of diaper pins)

less bulky in the diaper bag for traveling

CONS:

I find that they leak a lot, especially at night

don't fit well, especially now that DD is older (DD is small and skinny - the leg openings are too big)

sizing is awkward - you need to keep buying multiple sizes or you need "one-size" diapers which don't always quite fit

need to be stripped often and, IMO, retain 'stink' more than natural fibers, esp. in the winter when they can't be hung in the sun to dry

expensive

DD learned by 12 months how to undo the velcro tabs on the BG diapers -- which was occasionally problematic in public! 

Gdiapers 

PROS:

even more like a disposable than pocket diapers

flushable insert is convenient for travel, etc.

newborn sizing really does work for very small babies (one-size pocket diapers, etc., tend to be too big at first)

velcro tabs in the back mean the LO doesn't learn to undo the tabs by him/herself as quickly

CONS:

esp. with newborn breastfed poop, the poop tends to get everywhere so you have to wash the covers almost every time you use them anyway

flushable insert is kind of a pain to dispose of - it's not as easy as it sounds

they're not quite as eco-friendly as they advertise themselves to be (they use the same petroleum-based gels as sposies) -- I wouldn't compost that gunk

for me, they tended to leak when I used a cloth liner rather than the disposable insert

the two-piece covers were annoying to take apart & put back together

buying the disposable inserts was too much like buying disposable diapers for me

inserts were really hard to find around here, most of our stores don't carry them

Prefolds and covers (Thirsties and Econobum)

PROS:

A heck of a lot cheaper than any other system

Cotton fibers are easier to care for and hold 'stink' much less than synthetics

The covers leak FAR less often than anything else I've tried (esp. Thirsties - they're worth every penny)

Easy to pair with a doubler for overnight, etc.

Covers don't have to be washed every time they're used, so you need fewer covers than diapers

Diapers dry faster than pocket-diaper inserts -- i.e., less energy used -- and covers dry faster when hung up than pocket diapers

CONS:

DH won't touch the diaper pins and I don't like Snappis much (but this is a personal preference - lots of people love the Snappis)

a bit more labor-intensive during diaper changes (can be a challenge with a wiggly baby)

Cotton stains more than synthetics

My verdict?  Prefolds and covers, for sure.  If I could do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I never would have bothered with the expensive diapers at all.  I would have bought a full stash of plain cotton prefolds and a dozen Thirsties covers and considered myself well-stocked.  I would never have bothered with the Gdiapers -- they were a HUGE pain.  I still use the pocket diapers, since we have them, and they're ok, but IMO, prefolds are definitely the way to go.  With this next baby, I'm stocking up on a few newborn size prefolds and covers so I can use them when s/he is little -- DD didn't fit into any of her cloth diapers until she was a few months old, we were using sposies until then.  Oh goodness, the garbage!!!!!!  No way am I doing that again.

Oh, and if you have access to a diaper service, go for it, it's marvelous -- but don't be intimidated if you don't.  We don't have a diaper service in town, so it wasn't an option for me, but really, after you do it for a few months, washing diapers is really easy and just becomes part of your normal routine.  Very simple, honestly. 

Neuromancer likes this.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#15 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 AM

We CD with DS (21 mo). I recently got out all the little diapers and washed them. Theys are so tiny luxlove.gif. We use prefolds and mostly thirsties covers. I also like Mother-Ease airflow covers, and was given some fuzzi bunz pockets for older infant that we like a lot for a quick change. I have three inserts of sort that are probably bamboo, my mom bought them for me from a consignment shop. 

We used a service also with DS when he was a newborn, so I had only purchased 1 doz newborn prefolds. I got another dozen recently, and I think that'll be fine, esp considering the babe might grow out of them quickly. If we run out, we have the next size up to use even if bulky.

I'm trying to figure out the setup of clothes and diapers, should both kids' diapers and clothes go in DS's room? Baby will be with us for a little bit then in our guest room, so I might use the dresser in the guest room. But I also figure I'll use DS's changing table for clothing and diaper changes. I need to think about it a little more.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#16 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Me! :) I CD'd with both the others, although I didn't last long with DS2 before giving it up (pretty bad PPD, I just couldn't keep up :P ). And we use 'sposies at night, started with our first because he was such a heavy wetter, now it's what we're comfy with.

My biggest advice to folks starting out: if you don't do a one-size option (like Bumgenius), buy something cheap for the newborn/small sizes.  they grow so fast in the early weeks, you can waste a lot of money buying cute fancy dipes for the tiny ones. Better IMO to spend the bulk of you budget on mediums. Unless you have a very small baby or one who grows extraordinarily slowly, in which case you can always add to your stash of smalls after baby is here, once you know that.

Before investing in a diapering system, I recommend trying lots of different styles/brands of diapers to see what works for you and your family. If you don't have local people to borrow/buy from (craigslist or friends), try ebay or I think there's a forum specifically about CDing but I don't know the name..? Some companies offer sampler packages where you can try a number of different styles of diapers. That is nice if you are unable to buy individual dipes used from other sources.

So, my stash:

I have a dozen or so small (newborn?) prefolds with small covers, as well as a few small pockets and kissaluvs fitteds that I have acquired from friends giving away diapers they're done with.

For mediums, I have a hodgepodge of fitteds, prefolds, pockets, and kissaluvs.

I vastly prefer the fitteds over everything else, with pockets coming in second. I like fuzzibunz, but I know a ton of people who loooooove bumgenius, but I haven't tried those yet. Pockets are convenient, but like a PP said, they can leak and need stripped often, and for me, the hassle of stuffing them after washing is a detractor. For covers,   I like the MotherEase covers, they clean and dry well, and are easy to put on. i also like wool soakers or longies.  This time I have some stacinator wool covers someone just gave me, as well as a couple of fleece ones.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#17 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM

We're cloth diapering for the first time and like so many of the previous posters have commented it is SO overwhelming.  I've done lots of research online and in store and with other moms and I still feel so unprepared. 

I want to get as much together for my stash as I can before the baby comes, however, what I'm deducing from what I've read that most of cloth diapering is trial and error - in terms of the baby, baby size and parental preference.  Some people will really like prefolds, while someone else will swear by g diapers.  Others will swear against g diapers, while praise grovia.  And then even within those reviews you're also scrutinizing different generations of diapers, for example, I've heard to avoid 3rd gen Bum Genius because the velcro wears out and babies like to rip the diapers open, and that you should only go with 4th gen Bum Genius because of the snaps.  I tried out the Bum Genius snaps at the store and I can't easily get the darn things closed with one hand (or, embarrassingly enough, with both hands).

I went to a cloth diapering workshop at the local diaper store and that's where I decided to start.  I was able to touch, feel and try these diapers out.  To begin with, I'm going to get some prefolds and some Kissaluvs with blueberry, bummis and wool covers.  I'm also going to try out a few GroVia AIO (I liked the texture and snaps better than Bum Genius) and the AMP one-size duo pocket (I liked these better than the Flip and Fuzzibunz).  It's a start and I'm sure I'll have to shake up my strategies once I get these on the baby's bottom!

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#18 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh2006 View Post

I used pocket diapers with my first two (still using them with #2!), and love them.  They're easy to put on because it's so similar to a disposable diaper.  You do have to remove the inserts before you wash and re-stuff them afterwards, but for the ease and convenience, it's a small price to pay for me.  I tried using fitted diapers when #2 was born, but I had issues with them leaking and not wicking, so I gave that up pretty quickly.  I think some of it had to do with the material used and the sizing was a little off, but I couldn't afford to get more at the time so I went back to pockets.  I'm planning on using pockets again this time and maybe trying EC...

Which brand do you use? I found that with the pocket diapers I have the inserts spin right out in the initial rinse.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#19 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM

We will be CD'ing.  I bought almost all new prefolds and picked up a variety of used covers from friends. I also have a couple of used fitted dipes.  I knitted a few wool soakers and plan to make a pair of longies too.  I also will try EC, especially for when we are away on the weekends to help reduce the laundry going back and forth.  I want to try out various ones to see what I like best and what works for the baby.  

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#20 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

We're cloth diapering for the first time and like so many of the previous posters have commented it is SO overwhelming.  I've done lots of research online and in store and with other moms and I still feel so unprepared. 

I want to get as much together for my stash as I can before the baby comes, however, what I'm deducing from what I've read that most of cloth diapering is trial and error - in terms of the baby, baby size and parental preference.  Some people will really like prefolds, while someone else will swear by g diapers.  Others will swear against g diapers, while praise grovia.  And then even within those reviews you're also scrutinizing different generations of diapers, for example, I've heard to avoid 3rd gen Bum Genius because the velcro wears out and babies like to rip the diapers open, and that you should only go with 4th gen Bum Genius because of the snaps.  I tried out the Bum Genius snaps at the store and I can't easily get the darn things closed with one hand (or, embarrassingly enough, with both hands).

I went to a cloth diapering workshop at the local diaper store and that's where I decided to start.  I was able to touch, feel and try these diapers out.  To begin with, I'm going to get some prefolds and some Kissaluvs with blueberry, bummis and wool covers.  I'm also going to try out a few GroVia AIO (I liked the texture and snaps better than Bum Genius) and the AMP one-size duo pocket (I liked these better than the Flip and Fuzzibunz).  It's a start and I'm sure I'll have to shake up my strategies once I get these on the baby's bottom!

I know there's the desire to get the stash done before the baby comes, but honestly, you're going to have a lot of down time while nursing. Once you can NAK (nurse at keyboard), think of the fun you can have building your stash, with baby in arms, knowing what you do and do not like.

cuddleluvinma likes this.

#21 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I cloth diapered before and plan to do it again. I have to say I agree with Comtessa. It's going to be prefolds and covers for me. I have tried all kinds of diapers but the prefolds and covers are both top choices when it comes to my priorities. Number one I want a diaper that washes clean and dries easily. Nothing beats a prefold in this category. Two I want to avoid leaks. Add doublers, use wool at night, and not a leak in site with prefolds and covers. Three it must be inexpensive and prefolds it is again. Once you get use to it, prefolds and covers are not a challenge to use. I like to use snappis, as opposed to pins. Also I highly recommend cloth wipes and diaper lotion potion.

My newborn set-up consist of 3 dozen newborn white prefolds and 6 newborn light wraps from Green Mountain Diaper. This cost $120.

I already have wipes, snappis, and diaper lotion potion from my DS so don't need those.

I have a lot of things that are still good in a size medium. I have on my registry 3 dozen size small white prefolds GMD and 6 size small covers in a variety of brands, bummis, thirsties, litewrap -not sure what I will love with this baby since the different covers have different cuts and fit each baby well differently. I loved litewraps with DS which was great because they were the cheapest cover GMD carried. However litewraps wear out more easily than Bummis.

I went cheap on the newborn size because my babies tend to be around 8lbs at birth so no need to invest a lot in something they are just going to out grow in six weeks. I suggest spend more in the size small and medium range.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#22 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 11:58 AM

ME! I'm with the rest of you, I feel totally overwhelmed by all the information out there.

So far, prefolds/covers and pockets (Flips are pockets, right?) seem to make the most sense. I have registered for an Econobum starter pack and a Flip starter pack. Each is $50. The Econobum pack is 12 prefolds and 3 covers and a wet bag. The Flip pack is two covers and 6 stay-dry inserts.

What else should I register for, do you experts think? More prefolds? More inserts/covers?

What about supplies--I'm assuming the wetbag that comes w/the Econobum is one of the small travel-type ones. My friend showed me the large wet bag she has that is basically like a reusable/washable trash can liner (kitchen size)--do you know where I would find one of those to register for?

Also--I'm wondering--do you think a generic diaper genie type thing (generic so it would fit the reusable liner rather than requiring the special diaper genie liner) would work for cloth, in terms of odor control and compacting the diapers?

Finally, those of you who have CD'd before--what storage method did you use, dry or wet? How was it for odor control? I'm thinking dry is what I should do because I have to carry the diapers down three floors to wash them, and wet will get heavy. For dry storage, what do you do--layer them w/baking soda or something?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#23 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 PM

Cloth diapers are indeed the plan with us. I have been stalking craigslist for most of our baby stuff and it has really paid off. I got a huge box of used stuff from a woman who is actually going to be my doula. It included a ton of bummis covers in great condition and various fitted diapers (kissaluvs, motherease etc.) in non-newborn sizes along with a lot of doublers for the motherease and others. I just recently got another box from someone who quite CDing after a year (everything is in VERY good condition) that had over 60 organic prefolds in two sizes and 11 duo wrap thirsties covers along with a few new snappis and 2 fuzzibunz plus 5 or so doublers. I think I am set! I need some things like a diaper sprayer and wet bags/pail liners etc but I really think I should be fine for a while. my DH is fine with the snappi prefold and cover setup. In fact when I showed him the options for either snappi-ing or just stuffing the prefold in the cover, he was like oh the snappi looks like the way to go!  

I wish we had a service in town, but alas we will be just fine with our washer and dryer. I get to take 4 months off work and then go back part time so I should be okay. When daycare starts I will likely need to get some AIO's and have heard the swaddlebees simplex is a great all cotton option. On the dorky/crafting side of things I am making a ton of flannel wipes and am working on several wool soakers made from felted wool sweaters from goodwill. They will just need to be lanolinized, but I am having good luck with the designs! They are just so expensive otherwise, but I hear great things. 

ADVICE: I have had GREAT luck lurking for used CD online and do not live in a very urban area. You can probably find used at a good price if you have time and save a lot of money. I have spent less than $300 on the whole stash. ALSO, check out www.greenmountaindiapers.com They have pictures and talk ever so much about lots of different kinds of diapers and true sizing. 

partytime.gifBabytime! treehugger.gifMomma to Wyatt born April 2012 h20homebirth.gif

#24 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

I think what you have is a good start. My opinion is it's a good default to start out trying prefolds with covers, since they are less expensive. If you don't like the prefolds, you can use for other purposes (dusting, burp cloth) besides cloth diapering. OR, if you end up liking pockets where you stuff the diaper with an absorbant liner (like fuzzi bunz), then you can use the prefolds for that purpose by folding in thirds and that becomes your insert. So they are multi-purpose. And, you might end up liking them for their basic use - the "old fashioned" diaper, with a cover.  

Many say they need 3 doz prefolds...we have never need that many at one time. I have 3 doz in the infant size and I think a dozen remained in a box (but ready to go) and never got used. We have 2 doz large now with DS (21 mo), and I am sure I'll be fine with 2 doz newborn. We wash every three days.

I imagine it was helpful to actually see and look at different kinds.

I personally haven't had any issues with the velcro/aplix on the Thirsties covers that we've used since birth (XS, S, and now M, getting L soon).  DS is always clothed so he doesn't have access to the covers anyway to take them off.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#25 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 12:12 PM

I got my pail liners here: http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?category=58 but haven't used them yet. Before I was just using some canvas laundry bags that were DH's from basic training. Check the manufacturer's washing instructions. Most say no to the wet pail method, and using a wet pail can even void the warranty on some! I did the dry pail method, sprinkled with BS if there were an odor. But really, if they smell, they probably need to be washed. I didn't have any trouble with diaper pail odor until I became pg and my nose became SUPER sensitive.

#26 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 12:31 PM

We will be be CDing too.  I used cloth for both my DDs and loved it.  With DD1 we were traveling a lot and had to use random laundromats (even when we were home we didn't have a washer and dryer), so I had a lot of diapers to minimized trips to the laundromat.  I got so lucky.... a friend of ours had older kids (youngest being 12) and found there cd's in the attic one day.  She gave me all of them (about 50 prefolds!) so all we had to buy was covers.  With DD2 we used those same prefolds, but she was a very heavy wetter so we used disposables at night.

This time around I am planning to use thirsties with snaps and prefolds.  Everything else seems expensive and confusing.  I found that you can just fold the prefold into thirds and lay it in the cover like you would an insert and that worked just fine.  After poking the poor babies a couple times with pins I was over that, and didn't know about snappies until DD2 was almost out of diapers.  We used bummies covers for my DDs, but I didn't like the open mesh flap thing on the back as it would get pushed up sometimes and they'd end up with a wet stripe across their pants!  And once they figured out how to undo the velcro it became their favorite thing to do, so I've chosen snap covers this time around.

I did put some fuzibuns with inserts in the registry because a couple friends love them and my diaper knowledge is pretty out dated so I decided to try something new.  But really I loved prefolds with covers.  So simple and so inexpensive.  The prefolds we had were amazing.  They served 4 kids, took a ten year in the attic break, then served my two and have been passed on from there!  Now that's money well spent (by my friend over 30 years ago!).

I have more to say but I have to get DD1 from school... bye!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#27 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 12:31 PM

I CDed my 1st and attempted to with my 2nd but life right now doesn't make it very easy.  If I had a washer in my apartment I'd be doing it, but as I share laundry and do way too many loads as it is I'm struggling to justify it.  But I loved the big CD bum!

Prefolds are the best investment ever!  DS is potty training right now and I use them to wipe up his "accidents" or other messes on the floor.  I LOVE prefolds!

With DS we used a dry bag system (FYI bamboo diapers can possibly disintegrate if left in a wet bag system too long).  It was a PUL bag I hung on the back of his door and washed every couple of days.  I ended up with an assortment of prefolds, pockets and fitted diapers that I gradually collected.  My faves were Monkey Doodlez pockets and Mother Ease Bamboo Sandys.  I don't like AIOs, I found that they smelled after awhile.

Some diaper stores IRL and online offer newborn trial services.  Something to look into if you're not sure what to get.

#28 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 12:56 PM

We have used cloth from the beginning with DD and it doesn't look like she is even remotely interested in PLing anytime soon, so I am planning to have 2 in cloth come April.

I have the biggest random mixed stash of CDs you've ever seen! LOL! We stuck to mostly pockets with DD in the beginning because I was overwhelmed by the options and I wanted something easy and convenient for everyone.  We have had really good luck with BG 3.0's; the elastic and velcro are still trucking along.

Once she was a little older, I started branching out and trying new things: prefolds & covers, fitteds & wool, etc... Now I have quite the mix! I am still pretty frugal when it comes to diapering (they are after all DIAPERS!) All of my wool is homemade (crocheted or upcycled sweaters).  All of my fitteds were purchased used or are homemade.  We really like GMD prefolds as well.

I love the Flip system for nighttime diapering; we have never had a leak with these.  Our pockets are used when we are out and about running around town (same with wool and fitteds) and at home we stick to prefolds and covers (either PUL, wool, or homemade fleece covers).  

I second another mom who suggested adding to your stash gradually after baby comes; you never know what will work for you and for babe!

As for the technical stuff... we wash every 2-3 days (cold prewash, heavy duty wash cycle, followed by a second rinse).  I have a trashcan with a lid that we use as our pail.  I have two cheap laundry bags that I rotate as pail liners.  I prep diapers before they go in the pail (pull out pocket inserts, spray off poop if needed, etc...) that way I can just turn the bag inside out into the washer.  Everything gets line-dried; if weather isn't cooperating, then anything with PUL or velcro gets hung-up on the dining room light fixture and everything else gets tossed in the dryer. 

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#29 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 PM

This will be baby #4 for me to be CDed. The first time was 20 years ago when the only thing I knew about were the Gerber prefolds. I didn't last very long with those. With ds2, born in 2004, I got into fitteds and knit wool covers very quickly and those are still my favorite. That can get expensive, though. I can't seem to find my favorite fitted store anymore, either. They may have gone out of business. I learned to knit so that I could make my own soakers and longies and such. It has become my main hobby and I have expanded my skills a lot since then. I still have a lot of diapers from ds3, who is 3.5 now, so can't justify buying a bunch more new diapers. I'm leaning toward one-size fitteds this time, just a few to get me through the newborn phase that I can continue to use throughout.

Besides fitteds, I have used pockets (Fuzzibunz, Happy Heinys and Wonderoos), AIOs and prefolds. Prefolds are by far the cheapest if you use PUL covers. AIOs are quick and easy but they are harder to get clean and dry. I like pockets ok but I found it to be a pain to have to stuff them all the time. My DH liked AIOs and pockets the best because they were easiest for him but only if the pockets were already stuffed. I also like to use natural fibers as much as possible so don't like the PUL so much, besides the fact that it defeats the purpose of spending money on wool.

There are several online stores out there that sell a variety of CDs. A lot of them sell starter and sampler packs if you aren't sure what to get. My favorite store is DiaperWare, http://www.diaperware.com/productpage/diaperware.htm. It's been in business continuously since 2004 and sells every kind of CD and cover that I can think of. I've always gotten good, fast service from there.

If you want to try to save some money, check out the Co-Op boards. I just got some pockets for $4.30 each on The Squirmie Worm, http://thesquirmieworm.com/forums/index.php. They'll be running 2 more co-ops for those diapers before the summer. There are also some diaper co-ops coming up on The Crunchy Cooperative, http://www.crunchy-cooperative.com/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=d259d176c62035cef7dca67782fc2aa1. You can get used diapers on Diaperswappers and Hyena Cart.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#30 of 393 Old 01-26-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

As per my new and improved "To Do" list that I posted in the forum I organized the Bumgenius pocket diapers that my cousin passed down to me.  I'm putting this out there right now - I KNOW I will hate this system but feel like I absolutely have to use such a great gift and such fancy diapers.  Then, I had this great realization -- I'll just used those for the on the go diapers...always packed in the diaper bag.  

That leaves me with just coming up with a system for home.  Here's what I have so far: 

16 Bumgenius for outings

1 dozen GMD newborn PFs 

2 dozen GMD small PFs 

1 dozen misc. cotton doublers (have)

2 small/newborn prowraps 

2 small/newborn wool soakers 

1 pair 0-1yr wool longies 

2 Grobabies covers with 4 inserts for them (have)

I'll probably get a few misc. covers in addition  

3 dozen wipes 

Bumspray

Contoured changing pad

Wool changing pad 

2 medium wet bags (have)

1 fancy zippered wet/dry bag (? would you get a nice zipper wet/dry bag if you already have two medium PUL bags?)

2 Big wet bag for home

Euclan wool wash 

Spray lanolin 

1 pack disposable wipes

1 pack of NB disposable diapers (for meconium and at night if I want)  

Feel free to critique!!  If you post your thoughts I'll be happy to share what I think too.  Though most of my opinions (other than diaper services, prefolds and basic covers) will be from research and not experience.  ;-)  

Edited to update list per advice!  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page