birthing outside? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm considering doing a water birth now.  The problems with doing a water birth at my house is that living in a 100y/o+ farmhouse is that the floor joists won't support my midwife's birth tub which holds 100 gallons of water roughly 800 lbs.  So naturally my first thought was: "this baby is due in April...that's not too cold, perhaps we could birth outside in the side yard"  The downsides of this decision: 1. the farm down the hill is home to my very nosey great uncle and great aunt, who already think we're weird, 2. it may be slightly cold in VA in the 2nd week of April. and 3.  It may be weird staring at the goats and chickens while pushing a baby out. What are your thoughts?  Has anyone done it before.

I've never wanted to do a water birth before but after a recent stay at a hotel with an amazing bath tub that was hugely deep.  It felt really good to be in it

#2 of 13 Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 PM

I think birthing outside sounds amazing!!! Because of the weather concerns, I wouldn't get really stuck on the idea, but I would leave it open as an option if it feels right at the time.

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#3 of 13 Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Other than the cold factor I think it sounds like a great idea!  I wanted to have DD1 outside, but it didn't work out.  I'm not sure about the animals, but you could create a wall with a sheet or something to block the view from your nosey relatives.  I'm a huge wimp about the cold so that would be my biggest concern.  oh.... maybe if you could rent one of those outdoor heater things to warm up the immediate area?

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#4 of 13 Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

The birth pool has a heater to keep the water temperature stable.  I'm actually not too concerned about the animals, but I'm afraid the ole bitty will have her binoculars out and sitting on her back porch with her walkie-talkie to all the other family members....I can see it now. But by that point who knows if I will care!

~Lizzy

#5 of 13 Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'd be worried about getting sunburned, especially my breasts and belly that never see the sun.  I can't imagine trying to nurse a newborn with sun burned nipples!  Of course, I'm really fair and burn in like 15 minutes, YMMV. 

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#6 of 13 Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

Sounds wonderful!! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#7 of 13 Old 01-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Sounds good to me!  But then a couple coworkers just today realized I was pregnant and another one piped up about how I am working right up until I am due (not true) and the nurse jumped in that she has an OB pack, but no idea what to do with it.  So all these people are all up and excited eyesroll.giflol.gif and the nurse comments that she'll just send me out in the woods.  My response of course was that yes that sounds much better than being in the company of all these hyped people. ROTFLMAO.gifThey didn't quite get it though, but what else can you expect from corporate america. duck.gif

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#8 of 13 Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM

There are other options for birthing pools. I bought a plastic kiddy pool from target and filled it up with water from the hot water heater...worked perfect. It couldnt be any heavier than your couch or bed and mattress. I'm not sure the weather would call for you being outside....what if it was raining or it was in the middle of the night? VA weather is still fairly cold in the Spring. Is this your first baby? You never know what your gonna want when the time comes...so making things as easy as possible is the best way to go.

But the best thing to do is ask your baby in meditation where he or she wants to be born....and you will get an answer. It's an amazing process that actually works. Our babies do communicate with us. So see what and where your little one wants and let us know.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#9 of 13 Old 02-05-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

No this is not my first child, nor my first homebirth.  This will be #3 baby, #2 homebirth.  I don't think I'm really serious about the birth pool thing. I've hated getting in the shower during my last two births, but in all honesty it did help speed up the labor.  Just something about being naked that I don't like...weird, but true. But laboring outside does sound nice to me.  I'm not too worried about a sunburn though that is a funny image.

Mainly just wondering if anyone here has done it before (give birth outside) and what the experience was like. 

~Lizzy

#10 of 13 Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Wow that sounds fantastic!  I live in San Diego, but unfortch across the street from a Catholic grade school, so my 'vocalizations' would probably be too much for the kiddos if school were in session.  Plus, I'd get a reputation in my 'hood as the crazy gringa who doesn't even have the common sense to go to the hospital, would rather have her baby in the backyard like in the old country.  Not too sure I'd like to explain it to the Sheriff's deputies, either.  Sheepish.gif  But if I lived in a rural area, heck yeah I'd do it!  It sounds heavenly ...

#11 of 13 Old 02-28-2011, 01:40 PM

I've been considering birthing outside for similar reasons--we'll be living in a space to small for a birth pool, but I REALLY liked the birth pool last birth.  So I've been considering it but not mentioning it to anyone because it sounds crazy!  Here in Florida the weather shouldn't be a problem unless it is raining.  My concern is finding somewhere where the neighbors aren't so close!  I picture colorful fabrics hung on trees around the pool for a beautiful, dramatic birth scene ;-)

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#12 of 13 Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM

I sort of birthed outside with my last child and it was amazing. She was born in a blow up tub on my screened in porch. For a little extra privacy I hung big sheets of translucent gauzy white fabric from the screens. What about making a tent-like area (wouldn't need a roof) in your yard so that you could have some more privacy? It would still feel like being outside but you would also have the comfort that a smaller area provides. You could make it out of branches for a really natural feel. I wish I could birth outside again, but it will be way too cold where I live in early April. 

Totally in love with my mountain man husband, and deeply fallen for my baby bird Gemma (8/09) and a new bird joining the nest this spring!
#13 of 13 Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaH2 View Post

The birth pool has a heater to keep the water temperature stable.  I'm actually not too concerned about the animals, but I'm afraid the ole bitty will have her binoculars out and sitting on her back porch with her walkie-talkie to all the other family members....I can see it now. But by that point who knows if I will care!

~Lizzy

ROTFLMAO.gif

(sorry, DDC) 

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page