Artistic mamas brag thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 01-27-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you knit, crochet, scrapbook, sew, paint, felt, needlepoint, weave, draw, or do something else creative? Have you done something for the new baby (paint a mural in the nursery, crochet a baby cap)? Would you like to share it with us, so that we can ooh, ahh, admire and be inspired?

I want to see pictures of what you've been working on!

Here's the little that I have done so far:

A fleece blanket with crochet binding, and a newborn cap (sized a little larger than normal since DS1 had a 15" head!)

IMG_3857.JPG

I know the yarn is too bulky for a spring baby but I didn't have enough to make anything but that little cap after I finished the border.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#2 of 60 Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 PM

Love this thread! I like to pretend crafting/sewing/crocheting = me being productive but really it is just my way of delaying all of the things that I really need to be doing ;)

Here are some things that I have made for the babe so far:

IMG_4620.JPG

Top row (l-r): crocheted wool longies, crocheted wool soaker, fleece soaker

2nd row (l-r): crocheted wool soaker, crocheted wool shorties, 2 fitted diapers and a beanie

I have about 10 more fitted diapers all cut and ready to be sewn, but I haven't found the motivation to get to them.  I'll probably do a few more soakers (wool and fleece in both NB and small sizes).  I've also crocheted myself some wool/silk nursing pads for overnight use.  

Nerdymom- I love the crocheted edge on that fleece blanket!! I have never seen anything other than the standard blanket stitch.  Do you mind sharing how you attach the border to the blanket? :)

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#3 of 60 Old 01-27-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

OH! How lovely! Everything you have done looks so great, but my favorites are DEFINITELY the longies. I love the little toadstool! Did you use a pattern for them?

I would love to spend more time working on these types of things but I have trouble sitting down and doing it when there are things like laundry and dishes to be done. Funny how I don't have that same problem when it comes to wasting time online. :( As for the border, it is so simple I'm almost ashamed to share, but here's the secret: the skip stitch rotary blade I replaced the blade in my rotary cutter with that and ran it along the edges, then I pulled the yarn through the holes and did a single crochet stitch. The super chunky yarn that I chose (to make the blanket feel even more luxuriously soft and snuggly) was a PITA to pull through the small holes though. Next time I will use a lighter weight yarn and it will go much easier.

Tomorrow I want to sit down and figure out the serger I inherited from my grandmother. My next project will be a nursing nightgown, since I cannot find any I like in the store.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#4 of 60 Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 PM

Thank you! I will have to get one of those skip stitch blades; very cool! I could see doing a pretty shell stitch border on a girly blanket...

The longies and shorties are from this pattern: http://withatangledskein.blogspot.com/2008/10/little-fire-crochet-pants.html

The soaker pattern is here (same blog): http://withatangledskein.blogspot.com/2008/02/little-fire-crochet-soaker-pattern.html

The fleece soaker pattern is from here: http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/2007/10/free-soaker-pattern.html

I love both of those blogs!! All of their patterns and tutorials are very easy to follow! 

The fitted diaper pattern is online somewhere, but I can't find it now, and the beanie was a random find on Ravelry (I could waste my life away on that site!)

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#5 of 60 Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the patterns! I love the fleece soaker one, I have a whole bunch of fleece and I've been wanting to try making some fleece soakers and longies. I don't know if I want to make the jump to wool. But I always admire the gorgeous woolens I see!

#6 of 60 Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I've been using the same pattern from withatangledskein. So far I've only finished one soaker but I'm using plain wool and will be dyeing all the soakers/covers when I get done with them. I've started on a blanket too but I've only been working on it a little at a time in between smaller projects.

nerdymom likes this.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#7 of 60 Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 PM

I feel like this thread is all in mandarin! Lol I don't understand a word y'all are saying but everything is precious!!!! I can give y'all my address....lol. What are the 'soakies'?
#8 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Fleece soakers are cloth diaper covers. They breathe nicely and can be an alternative for people like me who wish to use wool but cannot afford it. They are much easier to care for and of course, they are adorable! They aren't waterproof like polyurethane laminate (PUL) covers, but they are water resistant and they breathe nicely, so as long as the diapers are not too wet they shouldn't leak. I've heard of using them, with a doubler and a snappi'd prefold, for overnights as one would for a wool cover.

#9 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 AM

I've never CD'ed...so I sort of understood that! Lol I'm planning on looking into it after baby is born...it's too much to handle right now! Lol but they sure are cute!!!!! There's not a creative bone in my body....notta one! Lol
#10 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 AM

Allical-  thanks again for posting those pattern links.  I started the soaker yesterday afternoon and had it almost done (minus the cuffs and a couple rows) by last night.  I'm not a great crocheter, so the pattern must be pretty easy!  I can't wait to make more covers.  I ordered a huge "bundle" of wool yarn off ebay when DD2 was a baby to make soakers, but couldn't figure out how to untangle it (it's well over 5 pounds of yarn).  Night before last I sat down and finally figured it out (6 yrs later!), so I think I have enough yarn here to make covers all the way through potty training!  woo hoo!

Here's a pic of my first soaker following the tangle skein pattern....

-3.jpg

What is everyone's favorite lanolizing product? 

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#11 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 12:06 PM

I love how crafty and gifty you all are.  The only thing I can contribute is that I bought a few items for the nursery from artistic and talented people off of etsy orngbiggrin.gif (sorry, I was too busy laughing at my total lack of skills in this department that I had to share my witty thought with you all).

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#12 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 PM

The only picture I have access to right now is a hat I made. 

Umbilical cord hat

I have also made two knitted soakers and recently finished a sweater.  I want to make a pair of longies too before little one comes.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#13 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 12:15 PM

I haven't started crafting for this baby yet, but I plan on it as soon as I find a nice soft wool to knit with. I love the fleece soaker pattern. I might have to make a few of those too. I have the little turtle knits pattern for longies.. picky pants I think? Something like that. What wool does everyone use for their soakers and longies? I've heard BFL is a nice soft wool, but it's so expensive I really can't afford it.

For lanolizing, I have used Lansinoh successfully in the past. I wash the wool items in the sink then fill the sink with warm water and melt/dissolve a squirt of lansinoh (half an inch or so) in the water, then soak for an hour or so. Squeeze out extra water and dry. I tend to be frugal so I have never tried a commercial lanolizing product before :)

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#14 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Dierdre, if you've made that kind of progress so quickly then I am sorely tempted to buy some wool. It looks great so far!  And I love the hat TinyFrog!

Allison I have never ordered wool but have heard that http://www.100purewool.com/servlet/StoreFront is the place to buy it. I wonder how much I would need for one soaker. I drool over their yarn occasionally but have never ordered a thing. I stick with the cheap acrylics.

#15 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM

thanks nerdymom! I forgot about that site. Some friends have ordered from there. If nothing else I will end up going with knitpicks.com -- they're cheap and decent quality. The wool of the andes isn't particularly soft, but it's not bad.

One skein of worsted (a typical skein being about like those on the 100purewool site, around 200yd) will do one small pair of longies, according to my picky pants pattern. I vaguely remember getting two small longies out of one skein when I was using another pattern, but I could be wrong... and i may have had a larger than normal ball of yarn that time too. it was too long ago to remember clearly.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#16 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

One small longies isn't bad for a skein. Especially when you consider what you would pay for a pair already made up. Tonight I conquered my fear of the serger and made a jersey knit nursing nightgown. I consider this "for the baby"  for obvious reasons. Gotta keep that milk close at hand at all times!

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

The pattern could use a little work, but I made this up using my favorite nursing bra and night gown as templates. The next one will be better. And cuter! I want to make a pretty one next. I just bought the cheapest jersey they had to make this up, as a test case.

#17 of 60 Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM

Nerdymom-  I love your nightgown!  I really like how you just sergered (?) the edges.  It looks very hip for a nursing nightgown, not at all what I was picturing. 

I got a huge bundle of yarn off ebay and it's very nice.  Granted this was 6 yrs ago, but I remember it was significantly cheaper than buying it from a yarn store or website, otherwise I would not have been able to afford it.  I can't find the seller's info anymore since it was so long ago, but I think it would be worth looking into. 

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#18 of 60 Old 01-29-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I just serged it because I'm lazy and didn't want to set up my straight stitch machine, lol! Next time I'm going to stretch the edges so that they look ruffly. Last time there was only one nursing bra that I like to wear at night because it was the easiest for me to operate in my sleep. Now that I have DS1 I'm not as comfortable reverting to my old standby - sleep naked. And there are some fugly, frumpy old nursing nightgowns out there!!!

#19 of 60 Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 AM

O, how tempting. I am just starting to gear up for making things for this baby since I left all of my crafting things and supplies in US when we moved, so I am waiting for my DH to come back from conference in US and bring me the fabric to sew with. Looking at those diaper covers makes me want to make some but we probably are not going to CD this time around. I will sew some toys and maybe reconstract a skirt to wear during labor/birth maybe.
nerdymom likes this.
#20 of 60 Old 01-31-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

I can't imagine having to leave my crafting supplies behind! I would be lost.

#21 of 60 Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM

i made this for dd, it has a hat that matches.  i still need to find some buttons for it.  I also need to get a knittin on her blanket

SDC11515.JPG

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#22 of 60 Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

I love it! Great pattern, so many interesting details!

#23 of 60 Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 AM

I love it too!  What a pretty pattern!

#24 of 60 Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Thanks, it was so easy!  I had never made a sweater before, they really intimidated me for some reason, but I found this pattern for free on Ravelry and it was very easy to follow.  

#25 of 60 Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM

Wow!  Ravelry is awesome!  What a great resource.  Now that I made longies and a soaker I feel confident enough to try a sweater too.  I foudn this kimono wrap pattern that is so adorable (the super cute baby modeling it helps too!)

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-kimono-wrap

I want to make it for my BFF's baby due any day now.  I'm thinking about making some matching legwarmers to go with it.  :)

#26 of 60 Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 AM

i knit and crochet. I havent made a single thing for this baby yet. I have about 4 wool soakers from the last two and a ton of dipers so thats all set. I found the pattern I want to make and so just need to get to the yarn shop to buy what I need

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

#27 of 60 Old 02-02-2011, 05:46 PM

baby's first blanket, crocheted ripple stitch 

2011-01-08 17.56.21.jpg

2011-01-08 17.58.03.jpg

2011-01-08 17.57.14.jpg

I've got a few baby hats I've been working on as well that I will post soon. And my half-finished granny square blanket for baby, too. I'll be buying wool yarn this weekend to try my luck at crocheting a soaker and making dryer balls.

#28 of 60 Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 AM

msmiles- beautiful!!!! I love that blanket! I really love the color choices because it works well as a baby blanket, but isn't "childish", so they won't grow out of it.

#29 of 60 Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 AM

You all are very inspiring!  I haven't made anything yet but I'm planning on sewing sheets for our New Mega Family Bed!  LOL.  We are buying a twin to push against our King and I want it to seem seamless.  I don't knit but I'd like to make some more felt play food for the babies to grab/chew on - my DD loved her carrot I made her. 

I am a little annoyed.  I told DH I was going to try to make some of my own diapers (http://www.flickr.com/photos/flutteringby/sets/72157609486548657/with/3044824654/ ) and he said "I don't think your skill is there yet"  :/  I mean he's probably right but it sure sucked the wind out of my sails.  I know he's worried about money and I could just waste some if I can't make them right or they fall apart but I was so excited.  Hmmm.

nerdymom likes this.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#30 of 60 Old 02-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Love the blanket, and those colors!  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page