issues with side laying anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure how to get comfortable when sleeping on my right side makes my shoulder ache and the right hurts my hip.  Sometimes I wake up on my back and think oh darn my belly is waay too big to be on top of the baby!

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#2 of 20 Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 PM

I'm also having a tough time at night (numbness in my arms/hands, aching hips, leg cramps etc), but I have found a that a SOFT body pillow to wrap myself around gives me some relief. I'm not sure why, but it has helped, at least for part of the night.

SAHM to my beautiful, joyful, silent D (9/90) and exuberant, charismatic, not-so-silent S (11/07) and our precious little chickpea DD born 3/11 ,+7 animals. Partner to my lovely "M.O". Trying to live with intention.

#3 of 20 Old 02-02-2011, 07:02 PM

oh yeah, me too. I can't sleep on my left side, because it makes my left shoulder hurt. I sleep on my right side all night, and somewhere about half to three quarters of the way through the night, my right hip hurts so bad it wakes me up. I'll roll onto my back for awhile until the pain stops, then back on my side. I sewed myself a snoogie pillow in November and it helps SO MUCH. Having something between my knees really helps keep my hips from hurting more.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#4 of 20 Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 PM

I've been complaining to DH for about 3 weeks now that I can never get comfortable. I wake up 10 or more times every night just to change positions because my hips and/or shoulders start to hurt. For a while a body pillow seemed to help but lately it seems to make it worse. Unfortunately I'm also on modified bed rest so I don't get much of a chance to work the kinks out during the day as I'm in a recliner for most of it! Which I've heard is bad for baby's position.....but that's OT.

Anyhow - just wanted to commiserate since I don't think much can be done until after baby comes!

Katie, wife to big TNT, momma to DS1 born @ 29 weeks on Leap Day 2008 and DS2 born @ 32 weeks on Feb 16th!
#5 of 20 Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM

Tons of big fluffy pillows helps some but I do hate being on my side for too long. This makes bedrest rather uncomfortable but ah well..

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#6 of 20 Old 02-02-2011, 08:57 PM

Rotate your mattress if you haven't done it lately. That helped me a little. Plus if I don't have a pillow between my legs I am just miserable. I'd use more pillows in other places but we don't have any more. I'm just holding on, night by restless night, waiting for the government to give us back our money so we can go buy our big, memory foam bed!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#7 of 20 Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 PM

I need two pillows for my head (a flat one and a medium support one) in order to avoid feeling like my lower shoulder is bearing a lot of the burden. . Pregnant or not, I always have to hug a pillow also in order to support the arm on top. And, with pregnancy, I have a rolled up bath towel between my legs to straighten my pelvis and alleviate my pelvic/pubic ligament pain. I sleep quite well that way and only awake to go to the bathroom, then situate myself again and fall asleep. thumb.gif

So, as I know others have said, support, support! Especially if your mattress is on the firm side. Later, I may tuck a folded towel or small pillow between my belly and the mattress.

Do you currently see a chiropractor? If things are out of line, esp in your pelvis, getting them straightened *could* help with hip pain.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#8 of 20 Old 02-03-2011, 07:15 AM

I'm also miserable sleeping on my sides.  I get shoulder and hip pain.  I also wake up on my back but I really feel that if being on my back was dangerous my body would tell me - I mean that might be why you wake up - your body is hinting that you need to roll.  So I don't know how to be comfortable but I think you can relax a little about waking on your back!

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#9 of 20 Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liora View Post

I'm also miserable sleeping on my sides.  I get shoulder and hip pain.  I also wake up on my back but I really feel that if being on my back was dangerous my body would tell me - I mean that might be why you wake up - your body is hinting that you need to roll.  So I don't know how to be comfortable but I think you can relax a little about waking on your back!

I wake up on my back, too. I'm not worried about it. I sleep with three regular pillows and a body pillow and still wake up frequently, in a lot of pain, if I sleep on my side. What works best for me is to put a pillow behind/under one side of my back so I'm not laying totally flat on my back, and one under my belly so it doesn't get achy from hanging there.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#10 of 20 Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Right side laying is miserable.  A king-sized pillow between the legs has helped immensely with the hip pain.  I'm seeing a chiropractor later today to help further, and I'm quite hopeful.  Left side laying is easier, but not easy, if you know what I mean.  Good luck!!!

#11 of 20 Old 02-03-2011, 04:41 PM

I wake up with my ears sore, from being mashed against the pillows!

#12 of 20 Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 PM

I always feel awful after sleeping on my back, I wake up in the middle of the night because my body aches and sometimes my head hurts too. So I'd agree that if sleeping on your back is hurting you, or the baby, you're going to know about it. I remember almost passing out at a MW appointment when the apprentice MW was having a hard time finding the baby's heartbeat with the fetoscope. I was on my back for so long that I blacked out for a second and the room was swimming, I was very nauseous too. After that, they had me lay on my side and if they needed me to lay on my back one of the senior MWs checked the fetal heart rate.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#13 of 20 Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm going to start sneaking DD closer to the middle of the bed once her and DH are asleep so I can get into a better position!

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#14 of 20 Old 02-19-2011, 11:02 AM

I sleep on my side with a fairly firm pillow under my head.  I have one skinnier pillow between my knees and I hug a nice big cuddly pillow and kind of tuck a bit of it under my belly.  I'm very comfy like that laying on either side.  It works great for me!  Better than a body pillow too, having two different pillows you can adjust them to suit your position better.

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

#15 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 PM

It's definitely been a challenge. I have 2 body pillows and 2 regular pillows I sleep with. I support one arm with the front body pillow and try to support back with the other and have a pillow between my legs for my hips and a memory foam pillow for my head. I am constantly waking up on my back though. I have all kinds of body pain normally but pregnancy makes it worse. I have a bad left hip, bad back and neck, bad right shoulder, bad left knee. Ugh, it's just annoying. 

I figure baby will be fine. I can't do anything about whatever position the pain forces me into when I'm sleeping.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#16 of 20 Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 AM

Lurking from the May group...

I've been having the same problems for well over a month now. I've got the body pillow which helped to a degree, but the thing that's saved me the most was buying a mattress topper for our bed. I normally sleep on my back and prefer a firm mattress, but I bought a memory foam mattress topper and that really helps the lower hip and shoulder pain. Coupled with the body pillow, I get twice as much sleep before having to switch sides or have some back time. It's cheaper than trying to get a new mattress altogether too.

#17 of 20 Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Reelgeek,

I got one of those memory foam mattress toppers a little over a year ago, it does help I think, but still waking up on my back. Oh well. I'm thinking I might need to remove it after (or just before) baby is born too as I foresee potential co-sleeping time here and there for the first few weeks and memory foam doesn't seem particularly safe for a baby. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#18 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 AM

I have one of the memory foam toppers and I swear it makes my hips hurt more because they sink down. I can't win. lol.gif

I agree about the co sleeping! I'll be taking mine off the bed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Reelgeek,

I got one of those memory foam mattress toppers a little over a year ago, it does help I think, but still waking up on my back. Oh well. I'm thinking I might need to remove it after (or just before) baby is born too as I foresee potential co-sleeping time here and there for the first few weeks and memory foam doesn't seem particularly safe for a baby. 

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#19 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 10:55 AM

I have a firm mattress so I got a fiberbed mattress topper. It's basically a big pillow that covers the bed and it helps me a lot.  I do still have to sleep with a pillow between my knees and when I wake up every couple of hours to pee and eat I have to switch to the other side or my hips will hurt, but it's still better than it was.  Also, I whined to my doctor about the hip pain and she said sleeping on your back is okay if you stick a pillow behind it so that it's not completely flat.  The worst part for me really is that my uterus is getting too big for me already (I was so not this big the first time!) and I have horrible pain in my ribs and the ligament in my pubic bone.  There is no position that fixes those...

#20 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 11:16 AM

i keep waking up on my back, i really like to sleep on my left side or stomach, well stomach is def. out right now, lol, but i hate turning from one side to another, my belly just feels like it weighs a ton...

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page