How early is too early? (S/O) - Mothering Forums
April 2011 > How early is too early? (S/O)
crazyms's Avatar crazyms 10:51 AM 02-06-2011

Sort of a spin off thread... talking about the cramping I was having yesterday and worrying about whether or not it could be preterm labor got me to thinking "How early is too early?"

Right now my due date calculator says I'm down to 83 days left. Is that too early for baby? I know full term isn't until 37wks and I know that the baby is 'viable' at this point but how early would be too early? I guess I'm thinking right now when could you go in and reasonably think baby would be okay if you had to deliver? Okay as in no long NICU stays. We all know that anything can happen and you could end up with a NICU stay even if you're term but still in general. How early do you think it's really safe to deliver? I'm really wanting a homebirth this time (I'm still undecided right now if I'll actually use the midwife or not) but of course would go in if it was preterm. 37 weeks is considered to be term and that's when I had dd without any issues so that was 21 days before due date. Right now I'm 83 days out from due date so 62 days from term. I think 36 weeks would be okay so just 55 days that this baby needs to stay baking! When do you think is the earliest though? 32 wks, 34? Just wondering. Wow these babies are coming fast!!!

kittn's Avatar kittn 11:25 AM 02-06-2011

I had a 33 week-er . He did well initially but dealt with a lot of sensory issues and health issues. he was medically fragile for a long time. Then again he was a 33 week-er because even in utero he wasn't doing well. my placenta didn't do what it was supposed to. he had IUGR. needless to say hes 12 now and doing very well

bleumoose's Avatar bleumoose 11:45 AM 02-06-2011

That's a tough question, because every baby is different. Obviously, every additional week baby can stay inside is better. You hear stories of 23 and 24 weekers doing well, only staying in NICU until they're around the age they would have been born if term, then thriving at home. And you hear stories of 30 or 32 weekers who don't do well and pass away. I think it all depends on the baby itself, how healthy it is at birth, why it was born early, whether or not s/he has complications after birth, etc.

CookAMH's Avatar CookAMH 03:08 PM 02-06-2011

I don't really think in terms of days, but weeks. I would be pretty uneasy and worried if baby came between now (31 weeks) and 34 weeks. After that, I would breath a lot easier if he/she came early. I trust that baby would be *ok* now, but it's way too early yet for his/her sake.

tntmom's Avatar tntmom 03:25 PM 02-06-2011

This. I had my first at 29 weeks 5 days. He spent 6 weeks in the NICU but we also got the steriod shots for lung development a week before he was born which I think made a huge difference. No major issues in the hospital or now since he's been home. However there is evidence that some preemie issues don't show up until later in life so I'm always waiting for the shoe to drop even though he's developmentally on course.

My OB quoted that 95% of babies born at 35 weeks or more do not need additional time in the hospital/NICU. Don't know where she got that figure but it's certainly my biggest goal this time around!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

I don't really think in terms of days, but weeks. I would be pretty uneasy and worried if baby came between now (31 weeks) and 34 weeks. After that, I would breath a lot easier if he/she came early. I trust that baby would be *ok* now, but it's way too early yet for his/her sake.

Stayseeliz's Avatar Stayseeliz 04:30 PM 02-06-2011

My dr said they don't stop a really determined baby after 34 weeks. I had preterm labor last week at 29w and they're keeping on bedrest until at least 32 weeks then we'll go from there. I'm going to take it pretty easy until 34-35 weeks. They did do the steroid shots since my contrax were so close together when I came in. I'm still having contractions but they're controlled with medicine and bedrest. It stinks though.

It really does depend on the baby and the situation. My sister delivered by c-section at 35w due to preeclampsia and her DD was only on oxygen for 24 hours. Then I had another friend who delivered her DS at the exact same time and he was in the NICU for 6 days. Someone else I know delivered her baby at 34w3d and had a 13 day NICU stay.

I read a statistic that for every day you keep baby in your belly it's two less days in the NICU. Not sure how accurate that is.

My goal at this point is 35w and little to no NICU stay. I've never dealt with preterm labor before so this is all new and stressful for me.

StarCat's Avatar StarCat 06:01 PM 02-06-2011

this is a slight generalization because there will always be an exception but for the most part any baby born prior to 36 weeks will require some extra care and/or monitoring.  the earlier they are the more interventions you can assume they will need.  frequently 36/37 week babies have a hard time with the whole suck/swallow/breathe thing. 

today at work we had a lot of pre-term babies.  31 wkr had to have help breathing. 33 wkr breathing well but not able to regulate blood sugars.  every day does make a difference. 

crazyms's Avatar crazyms 12:22 AM 02-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post

My dr said they don't stop a really determined baby after 34 weeks. I had preterm labor last week at 29w and they're keeping on bedrest until at least 32 weeks then we'll go from there. I'm going to take it pretty easy until 34-35 weeks. They did do the steroid shots since my contrax were so close together when I came in. I'm still having contractions but they're controlled with medicine and bedrest. It stinks though.

It really does depend on the baby and the situation. My sister delivered by c-section at 35w due to preeclampsia and her DD was only on oxygen for 24 hours. Then I had another friend who delivered her DS at the exact same time and he was in the NICU for 6 days. Someone else I know delivered her baby at 34w3d and had a 13 day NICU stay.

I read a statistic that for every day you keep baby in your belly it's two less days in the NICU. Not sure how accurate that is.

My goal at this point is 35w and little to no NICU stay. I've never dealt with preterm labor before so this is all new and stressful for me.

Okay the bolded part in this quote is somewhat what I was looking for. I'm definitely in no hurry for the baby to get here and would be perfectly happy with a due date baby (or later?... I'm sooo not ready lol.gif). I know 37 weeks is considered term but was kind of wondering how far along you were before they didn't necessarily try to stop labor. I would definitely be going in if I had any preterm labor and I'm not expecting it but I've been having cramping/backaches that I don't remember having before although that could be my slipping memory since it's been a few years. I'm just trying to take it easier and stay hydrated so that baby can hang around a while. It just got me thinking though because I know they'd try to stop preterm labor and put me on bedrest if something did happen and I was just wondering how far along you'd be before they would most likely let it go. So far this babe looks to be all good and doc said everything was great in utero. Just hope it stays that way!

Stayseeliz's Avatar Stayseeliz 09:40 PM 02-07-2011

From what I understand even when people get put on bedrest they start lifting restrictions at 34-35.5 weeks. A friend of mine went into labor at 31 and 33 weeks and they stopped it both times but she went in again at 35 weeks and they let her go. I'm sure it depends on the hospital, etc.

Just watch your body and pay attention. This is my first time to ever have any kind of PTL issues and I really didn't know what to look for. Once I started watching a clock I realized I had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post

Okay the bolded part in this quote is somewhat what I was looking for. I'm definitely in no hurry for the baby to get here and would be perfectly happy with a due date baby (or later?... I'm sooo not ready lol.gif). I know 37 weeks is considered term but was kind of wondering how far along you were before they didn't necessarily try to stop labor. I would definitely be going in if I had any preterm labor and I'm not expecting it but I've been having cramping/backaches that I don't remember having before although that could be my slipping memory since it's been a few years. I'm just trying to take it easier and stay hydrated so that baby can hang around a while. It just got me thinking though because I know they'd try to stop preterm labor and put me on bedrest if something did happen and I was just wondering how far along you'd be before they would most likely let it go. So far this babe looks to be all good and doc said everything was great in utero. Just hope it stays that way!

puddle's Avatar puddle 10:23 AM 02-08-2011

Just agreeing with what others have said... I've had several friends with premies, and generally if you have a baby at 34 weeks or so they'll do okay with no long term serious complications, although you are usually looking at a NICU stay of about 2 weeks.  Any duration of NICU stay is pretty much hell for mama.  A 36 week old baby can usually avoid a NICU stay and be released on a normal timeframe.

StephandOwen's Avatar StephandOwen 10:46 AM 02-08-2011

I don't belong in this due date but wanted to say I just wrote a paper on this topic. From all the research I found, about 96% of babies born between 28-31 weeks survive. That's not to say they don't have complications, but the chances of survival are quite high.

Good luck!

SGVaughn's Avatar SGVaughn 09:50 AM 02-09-2011

not in your ddc but wanted to add...I had a 34-35 weeker (dates were weird) and she was 5.8 oz at birth, breathed room air but was extremely jaundiced and had almost zero good sucking reflex/ability

I was discouraged from breastfeeding...

regular hospital stay for 4 days but no NICU

I was actually induced after pprom for over 48 hrs and the dr discussed this option with us thoroughly w/o scare tactics...but cord prolapse was in the back of my mind the whole time because she was little and her head wasn't engaged

she was delivered in a very quiet room (the only light on was what was coming through the windows) with just us, the dr and two nurses...a team was on call in case she needed serious intervention but never came into the room

placed on my belly after birth and she just looked at me with this one blue eye open...cord clamping seriously didnt even happen for a few minutes

and she was handled surprisingly gentle by everyone

shes 12 now and has very thick glasses with bifocals (but so does her dad so who knows) but is the top of her class and very artistic and charming and was never really sick as a small child or now

my daughter after her was 37w1d (dates were exact) also an induction for prom after about 24 hrs and later placental decay was found (I had a retro placental hematoma the whole time)

she was 7lbs even ..was born more or less quietly except all the noise she made....she started squalling before her body was even out and wound up having a ton of suctioning because she inhaled a lot of fluids but needed really nothing other than a nap after she was born...heh..she did take quite a while to completely pink up and her O2 sats were a little low..so she did get a non-rebreather for about 10 minutes...but still given to me first (her cord was long enough to bring to my chest) and they delayed cord clamping until she got a lot pinker, probably a little longer than a minute before they decided to suction her more (airway gurgles/bubbles) and give her the O2

she was definitely handled a little rough in the delivering room which I really hate

our hospital stay was under 24 hours after she was born, great latch, zero jaundice...always gained weight..never dropped weight

she'll be 4 in march,she has no vision issues at all (different dads though) does incredibly well in preschool and has a very sunny disposition albeit a little firey and is never sick

now after all that! my oldest was born 41w6d was 7.7 lbs very crappy birth experience, went into labor on my own, water didnt break until I started pushing but the staff would NOT leave me alone

..she is a crabby person..lol, and is always always sick...seriously anything going around she gets and gets it hard

she does terrible in school and likes nothing better than to do nothing and sleep...she is also very small pale and generally a dark spirited person. Shes been tested for a million things from ADD/ADHD, to thyroid and various other hormonal probs (I have thyroid issues), depression etc etc and the most anyone has ever come up with it...shes small, sleepy and crabby.

shes 14 going on 40 (complete with middle aged cynicism)

and shes been this way since she was very little....right down to hating being swaddled or held as a baby

and of course I love her because shes my daughter but she really makes me think medicine in regards to obstetrics and gestational dates are largely bunk

I think it utterly depends on the baby

as an aside my youngest has the best teeth?? lol...Im only thinking of that because my husband and my oldest had dental appointments yesterday

dayiscoming2006's Avatar dayiscoming2006 10:42 AM 02-09-2011

I'd probably consider having my baby at home at 35 weeks or more.

I was born at 35 weeks and was fine and that was in a hospital with no NICU.

Of course, every baby is different.

Lauren82's Avatar Lauren82 11:59 AM 02-09-2011

I was a 30 week preemie and weighed 2lb 8 oz. I required about a week of oxygen but other than that was breathing on my own from birth (I did have some episodes where I stopped breathing but was never on a vent). I have no long term health issues other than terrible vision and eye floaters. My NICU stay was 2 months.

kittn's Avatar kittn 07:28 AM 02-11-2011

your oldest sounds just like my AJ who is just...ughhhh sometimes. we cant find anything "wrong" with him. he was my preemie though. he has a growth disorder but that shouldn't effect anything else. he's just dark and twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGVaughn View Post

not in your ddc but wanted to add...I had a 34-35 weeker (dates were weird) and she was 5.8 oz at birth, breathed room air but was extremely jaundiced and had almost zero good sucking reflex/ability

I was discouraged from breastfeeding...

regular hospital stay for 4 days but no NICU

I was actually induced after pprom for over 48 hrs and the dr discussed this option with us thoroughly w/o scare tactics...but cord prolapse was in the back of my mind the whole time because she was little and her head wasn't engaged

she was delivered in a very quiet room (the only light on was what was coming through the windows) with just us, the dr and two nurses...a team was on call in case she needed serious intervention but never came into the room

placed on my belly after birth and she just looked at me with this one blue eye open...cord clamping seriously didnt even happen for a few minutes

and she was handled surprisingly gentle by everyone

shes 12 now and has very thick glasses with bifocals (but so does her dad so who knows) but is the top of her class and very artistic and charming and was never really sick as a small child or now

my daughter after her was 37w1d (dates were exact) also an induction for prom after about 24 hrs and later placental decay was found (I had a retro placental hematoma the whole time)

she was 7lbs even ..was born more or less quietly except all the noise she made....she started squalling before her body was even out and wound up having a ton of suctioning because she inhaled a lot of fluids but needed really nothing other than a nap after she was born...heh..she did take quite a while to completely pink up and her O2 sats were a little low..so she did get a non-rebreather for about 10 minutes...but still given to me first (her cord was long enough to bring to my chest) and they delayed cord clamping until she got a lot pinker, probably a little longer than a minute before they decided to suction her more (airway gurgles/bubbles) and give her the O2

she was definitely handled a little rough in the delivering room which I really hate

our hospital stay was under 24 hours after she was born, great latch, zero jaundice...always gained weight..never dropped weight

she'll be 4 in march,she has no vision issues at all (different dads though) does incredibly well in preschool and has a very sunny disposition albeit a little firey and is never sick

now after all that! my oldest was born 41w6d was 7.7 lbs very crappy birth experience, went into labor on my own, water didnt break until I started pushing but the staff would NOT leave me alone

..she is a crabby person..lol, and is always always sick...seriously anything going around she gets and gets it hard

she does terrible in school and likes nothing better than to do nothing and sleep...she is also very small pale and generally a dark spirited person. Shes been tested for a million things from ADD/ADHD, to thyroid and various other hormonal probs (I have thyroid issues), depression etc etc and the most anyone has ever come up with it...shes small, sleepy and crabby.

shes 14 going on 40 (complete with middle aged cynicism)

and shes been this way since she was very little....right down to hating being swaddled or held as a baby

and of course I love her because shes my daughter but she really makes me think medicine in regards to obstetrics and gestational dates are largely bunk

I think it utterly depends on the baby

as an aside my youngest has the best teeth?? lol...Im only thinking of that because my husband and my oldest had dental appointments yesterday

SGVaughn's Avatar SGVaughn 11:48 AM 02-11-2011

yeah..my oldest is very dark...and nothing about my personality could be causing that sort of reflection. Like I'm brutally honest but I'm very empathetic if that makes sense.

she really makes me question nature vs nurture..

her father is not a terrible human being (like out and out evil) and she isn't either but she has a lot of his traits and had very limited exposure to him when she was at her most impressionable

so I really can't help but think that shes genuinely just genetically pre-disposed to certain behaviors

I've even had one psychiatrist label her as sociopathic but I think by guidelines that can't be considered accurate until shes an adult

medication didn't help, therapy didn't help...

*sigh*

it makes me sad honestly

guppiegirl's Avatar guppiegirl 07:25 PM 02-12-2011

I was a dark and morose child and young teenager. Quiet, but with a really sharp tongue. I had a really bad attention span unless it was a topic that I was personally very interested in. I had a really hard time making friends & was depressed a lot. I preferred to be alone and remember having a ton of social anxiety. In childhood photos, my siblings are smiling brightly and I'm usually frowning or sulking. My poor mom did not know at all what to do with me! I wore black all the time, listened to weird music and had strange friends. I tended to say a lot of kind of awful things that I didn't really mean, just for dramatic effect or attention.

To reassure you moms with 'dark & twisty' kids...I turned out into a well-adjusted, productive member of society. After some initial floundering (including finally getting some therapy for my anxiety disorder) in my early 20s, I ended up putting myself through college, then getting a full ride scholarship for grad school. I married an awesome, incredibly kind man and have lots of great friends. I'm still not a smiley, bouncy, chatty person and never will be.  I am really happy and have a pretty wonderful life. I still wear a lot of black.

Your kids will be fine, just love them the best you can and let them know you are there for them!

SGVaughn's Avatar SGVaughn 10:35 PM 02-12-2011

I wish it was that simple with my oldest...I was an angsty teen..dark music, clothes etc etc..

in that area she actually very bubblegum and superficial

I wont get into details but shes harmed other people, shes way over the line of moody and dark..in fact if you met her youd probably never know she had this darkness to her at least not initially..most peoples kids are just fine though, so I appreciate the vote of confidence, genuinely

guppiegirl's Avatar guppiegirl 08:54 AM 02-13-2011

Oh SGVaughn, I am sorry you have to deal with behavior like that. I hope she outgrows it...sending you lots of patience in the mean time. I do not know what I would do in your shoes.

SGVaughn's Avatar SGVaughn 10:34 AM 02-13-2011

thank you guppiegirl....shes trying to be sure and I havent given up yet. I too hope some of it will eventually be outgrown.

I often wish she was just an angsty kid...then at least I could relate, having been a bit of a pita myself at that age.

Up