What's in Your Babywearing Stash and a question about washing carriers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any experience with wearing 2 kiddos at a time (newborn and a very small 2yo) DD at 22 mo. is short and weighs 23lbs. soaking wet.

I was thinking of putting the new baby on my front in the Moby and DD on my back in the Boba 

This is what I have; hopefully I can find a combination in my existing stash that will work:

-Moby

-Mesh adjustable Kangaroo Korner pouch sling

-Baby K'tan (never really used this one)

-homemade ring sling 

-Babyhawk Mei Tai

-Boba SSC (by far mine and DH's favorite toddler carrier)

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 11:52 AM

I've worn 2 at once. When I was watching DD's cousin, I would wear them  both and walk to get them to go to sleep. I had an Ergo and a Moby - I put DD (around 30-34 lbs) on my back in the Ergo, and put the cousin in the front in the Moby (she weighed around 16-20 lbs). I put the Moby on first, then the Ergo, but would put DD in the Ergo first and then the cousin in the Moby. Worked great.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 02-17-2011, 12:37 PM

I've worn two.  I would put DD on my front in a Mei Tai and then DS on my back in a SSC.  I figure it is likely to end up happening at least a few times once newbie arrives as well.  I put the one in the front on first since the older one of the back tends to want down faster/earlier then the younger one, so it is easier to let them down if they are the second one up.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM

I actually feel like I will have a lot now. For the record, I have somewhat of a bad back. If I had the money, I'd definitely go to the chiro regularly. 

I got the ergo original on babysteals 45% off sale yesterday and got a boba with the 40% off sale that started today. 

They are both on their way and I'm kinda sad since I won't get to try them til I deliver probably. I'll have to make hubby try my 2 year old on in them since that was my main purpose with those - to find a carrier for an older kiddo.

I also have a babytrekker that I have used with both kids and have liked it quite a bit but I think my 2 year old has sort of outgrown it, though it supports up to 40 lbs. His legs dangle down and kick at the backs of my legs. It is the 07/08 style though. The newest style has the leg stirrups and places to put the straps but I'm not willing to buy another. I do like it up through around 18 months alright. I've used it with a newborn until then successfully.

I also have an old snuggli infant carrier that someone gave me before I had my first kiddo. It was my first carrier and made me realize how much I like baby carriers. It also made me wonder if there were more comfortable ones as I made the snuggli work up through the 20+ lb mark with my first, but it was pretty ouchie! Thank God for the better carriers out there.

I do not consider myself a "babywearer" compared to some of you. I only use a carrier for going on walks, doing errands, etc. I occasionally use them with newborns/smaller babies (if they fuss a lot) for around the house. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 PM

Thanks Rachel and Sarah!! Glad to know I can make do with what I have.  I didn't even think of trying the baby in the mei tai on my front with DD in the SSC on my back.  I didn't get my babyhawk until DD was older, so I have no experience with wearing a tiny one in a mei tai, but I'm definitely willing to give it a try.

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

Old 02-18-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreignerforlife View Post

Now I feel like I need to go shopping! I have a Moby (hand-me-down from a friend) and we are planning to get an Ergo. Won't that be enough? Am I missing something--why do you need more than one or two carriers?

I'm in the same boat.  We have a hand-me-down Moby (and I've used them before, with a friend's baby) and plan to get an Ergo after the baby is born. 

However, I'd like to buy a mesh or solarveil sling because I do find the Moby a little hot in the summer.  Does anyone have a recommended source to buy one?  I've been searching and searching online and the links I find are almost all not working, out of stock or out of business!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

last night I ordered a mesh carrier off of etsy. it can be used in the water and hopefully will be cool for florida weather.  Its a pouch and I love pouch slings!  So now I will have a baby k'tan and a mesh pouch.  I'm so boring I ordered them both in black.  Hopefully I will like them both , I've never used a k'tan but I like the concept and I've never used the mesh, although I like the concept there, too.  And I got them at really great prices.  So excited for them to come!!! 

Aha!  I should have read the whole thread.  Can you send me a PM with the Etsy link?  Or, I can just do a search, so no pressure. 

Old 02-18-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreignerforlife View Post

Now I feel like I need to go shopping! I have a Moby (hand-me-down from a friend) and we are planning to get an Ergo. Won't that be enough? Am I missing something--why do you need more than one or two carriers?

Because they're pretty winky.gif  And I like lots of different options, sizes, colours, etc.  A Moby & an Ergo is certainly enough.  

I've worn 2, but they were roughly the same age/size, not a n00b & a toddler.  I think they were both 25ish lbs.  I wrapped one on the front in a front cross carry & the second in a rucksack carry (wrap) on the back, in that order.  It worked pretty well.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
Old 02-19-2011, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

I've just quadrupled my stash!  I went from the 1 Maya to 2 Hotslings fleece (one for DC and one for DH).  The Hotslings were 5 bucks.  I also decided to register for a mesh ring sling for the beach.  

Foreignerforlife - I really don't need lots of slings.  For my DC the sling became a security type item and I think she was comforted by the feel and smell of that ONE sling.  Other than the water sling I'm pretty sure I'll stick to one Maya.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 02-19-2011, 11:27 AM

I have 4 slings currently.

2 Ring slings (Heart 2 Heart http://www.heart2heart.ca/ they're made locally to me) I used this all the time with my kids until they were around age 2... - colours navy with dots and unbleached.  I absolutely loved these slings.  They're somewhat similar to a Maya wrap but with a shorter tail and smaller rings and the version I have has more padding.

1 pouch sling (hot sling & haven't used it yet) - it's black and white - I forget what the pattern is called

1 front/back carrier (Boba carrier which I haven't used yet - just ordered it) earth (dark brown).

The Boba carrier is like a Beco or Ergo carrier.  They have 3 fabric choices on sale for $60 (from $100) right now at www.theportablebaby.com with free shipping.  Some other websites have them on sale too but this was the cheapest I found with free shipping.

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 AM

my boba classic and ergo original came in the mail yesterday. They were both beautiful. I think I like the boba slightly more for comfort and how easy it was to adjust. They are very similar carriers otherwise. I tried my 2 year old son in them both. The boba was comfy enough to wear while pregnant. The ergo wasn't comfy enough for pregnancy but I think it'll work quite well later. My 2 year old liked both carriers.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 PM

i sent you the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Aha!  I should have read the whole thread.  Can you send me a PM with the Etsy link?  Or, I can just do a search, so no pressure. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM

I have a Hotsling and just ordered a Boba yesterday. I also have a friend that said she would give me her Moby wrap because she didn't like it.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

I'm still getting notifications for the hotsling fleece I was looking for on Ebay.  I found one already so thought I'd share this link with you.  It should go  for pretty cheap (I got mine for $5).  This would be too hot for summer but I think they're super comfortable for a pouch with just the right amount of stretch.  Size 3 is pretty small - for a size M woman or smaller.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150567911758&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_500wt_1156

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 AM

Uh oh!  I went to a babywearing seminar yesterday and now I have the "I need one of everything!" fever.  Worse still, I fell in love with the demonstrator's silk Sakura Bloom ring sling.  They are SO expensive!  Even the linen version (since I would think I'd want the double-layer one, so it would last longer) is more than I would like to spend.  I mean, half the reason I don't want a stroller until I can use a smaller, cheaper model is the expense.  If I spend that much on a sling, there goes my reasoning!! 

My husband said, "It's a piece of fabric with rings? It costs HOW much?!"

I did decide to buy the mesh pouch sling from Etsy.  And my sister-in-law has a hand-me-down canvas Kangaroo Korner pouch she's going to send me.  She also offered to make me one of these: http://stilllearninglife.blogspot.com/2008/01/diy-hood-to-headrest-mei-tai-tutorial.html

SO (since I also already have a second-hand Moby I can use for the first few months) maybe I can keep myself from buying an Ergo or Sakura Bloom for a while.  ;)

Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 AM

In my stash-

BH Onbu-Love this but it's only better for older babies. DH wears our 3yo in it a lot.

Fleece hotsling-Not practical for this baby.

Seven Slings Pouch-Think I need to exchange it for another size though.

And I just bought a SnuggyBaby linen ring sling.

I'm trying to decide between a Moby and a BH MT. I had a BH MT with my 3yo and it was awesome but I think I might wear the Moby more around the house. I'm trying to figure out what will be best for summer since we'll spend a lot of time at the pool, etc.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post

In my stash-

BH Onbu-Love this but it's only better for older babies. DH wears our 3yo in it a lot.

Fleece hotsling-Not practical for this baby.

Seven Slings Pouch-Think I need to exchange it for another size though.

And I just bought a SnuggyBaby linen ring sling.

I'm trying to decide between a Moby and a BH MT. I had a BH MT with my 3yo and it was awesome but I think I might wear the Moby more around the house. I'm trying to figure out what will be best for summer since we'll spend a lot of time at the pool, etc.

I have a Moby, so take this with a grain of salt (because I liked using it for my friend's kid), but I found it to be really hot.  You may not like it mid-summer at a pool.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Since we are moving into a *tiny* space, I'm trying to downsize.

I know I'm keeping my EllaRoo Mary wrap--my first wrap with dd 6 years ago, and still my favorite.

And we'll keep the celtic knot Freehand Mei Tai (dh's favorite)

I keep telling myself one wrap is enough--the EllaRoo will work in the summer, in the winter, with a newborn, with a toddler . . . and we'll have the mei tai for either tandem babywearing or when we each wear one (dd is going to be 16 months).

But I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep my 3.5m Inka Storchenwiege.  It's shorter, and great for rucksack.  And OH SO PRETTY. 

And I'll probably keep my 4.6m Didymos Indio Marine because I like it, and it's a little longer than the EllaRoo, and would work better for dh than the EllaRoo if he decides to wrap instead of using the mei tai for some reason...

Oh, but I am keeping my gypsymama water wrap because with two under two, I know I'll have my hands full at the beach/pool!

I'm doing a great job of minimizing my wardrobe, but carriers are so much more difficult to pare down!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allical1284 View Post

Does anyone have any experience with wearing 2 kiddos at a time (newborn and a very small 2yo) DD at 22 mo. is short and weighs 23lbs. soaking wet.

Keep an eye on my website come May--dd will be 16-17 months old so I expect the opportunity to add a lot of tandem wearing instruction!  My favorite combo is newborn in wrap on front and then toddler in wrap (rucksack carry) or mei tai on back.  This way you can put toddler up or take toddler down without disturbing newborn.

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adasmommy 

Keep an eye on my website come May--dd will be 16-17 months old so I expect the opportunity to add a lot of tandem wearing instruction!  My favorite combo is newborn in wrap on front and then toddler in wrap (rucksack carry) or mei tai on back.  This way you can put toddler up or take toddler down without disturbing newborn.

Awesome! I will definitely check it out!! Thanks so much for the info!

User Tag List