What's in Your Babywearing Stash and a question about washing carriers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've been trying (and failing) to keep up with the cloth diaper thread and it has me dizzy.gif I am a minimalist when it comes to diapers, but start me talking about wraps and slings and good luck getting me to shut up! lol.gif I would love to hear what other people have in their stashes or what they are hoping/planning on getting. Feel free to post pics, too!

I had 6 carriers before DS was even born and I have since added 4 more for a nice round total of 10:
Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch in a brown/tan color
Reversible Solarveil water pouch in blue/green
Reversible Peanut Shell Pouch with lightly padded rail, one side black, other side red & white floral pattern
WAHM-made ring sling - brown with red trim dupioni silk
Moby Wrap in brown
Bali Baby Breeze gauze wrap also in brown
Homemade teal wrap a friend made for me shortly after DS was born
Wallypop onbuhimo in black with multi-colored embroidery
Mei Tai Baby mei tai with 2 different panels, headrest, and adjuster at bottom so smaller babies can fit
Older-style Beco (4th gen, I think) with extra slip-on skin and sleeping hood

After getting all of my carriers out and making sure they have all of their accessories and pieces, I'm having trouble deciding whether to actually wash all of them or just throw them in the dryer (no heat) with some good-smelling EOs on a piece of fabric to freshen them up. I don't think any of them have been washed since I got them because they never got filthy and I'm scared that washing them will shrink, fade, or otherwise ruin them even if I follow the manufacturers directions for cleaning. I have a bad track record in the past of ruining non-clothing items by washing them according to the directions on the tag/package.

How often do you wash your carriers and what, if anything, do you do to get them ready to use again with a new baby?

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#2 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would check the manufacturer's recommendations for washing. I'm not sure what the instructions are in general. Most of my carriers over the years have been handmade by me, so I never worried much about washing. They were simple cottons or cotton-linen blends, and I just washed them normally.

My stash is pretty pathetic compared to many people's. Right now I have

moby in cream

Freehand (mei tai) celitc knot pattern

hotsling, can't remember pattern, but it's red and black

maya wrap, blue

and a few handsewn ring slings

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#3 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM

I've never had a carrier that I loved.  I used and ergo mainly as a back pack when my last was older than the little-baby stage.  I *really* need a great sling or carrier for the tiny stage--can anyone recommend?

#4 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 02:06 PM

I have a Kozy Carrier Mei Tei and love it. That has been used the most in DS life. I also have a maya wrap that I like for when baby is littler. For months, DS would nap in that during church as a young infant. I hope the same will happen with this new one since I'll have a toddler sitting with me too (and I'm by myself since DH is the pastor).

I don't think I have washed them yet....hehe.  But I will soon, before baby comes.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#5 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 PM

I highly recommend a Moby for the tiny stage. I made one after DS2 was born from a cotton knit and looooooooooooooved it. Because it's so stretchy, you can get it nice and snug and it holds baby so close and tight to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwenna View Post

I've never had a carrier that I loved.  I used and ergo mainly as a back pack when my last was older than the little-baby stage.  I *really* need a great sling or carrier for the tiny stage--can anyone recommend?

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#6 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post

I've been trying (and failing) to keep up with the cloth diaper thread and it has me dizzy.gif I am a minimalist when it comes to diapers, but start me talking about wraps and slings and good luck getting me to shut up!  

I'm totally up on the whole diaper hysteria but I know myself and will end up settling on something when baby arrives and then sticking with it.  When I have time I can be a total researcher but when it comes to actual life I'm not picky at all.  

This can be been in my carrier stash.  I want to say that I am a total babywearing mama.  My DC lived in the sling for no exaggeration 8+ hours/day for many years.  Not only that I wore her for a LONG time.  She was in the 1st grade the last time I wore her.  

All that time (6 years!) I had one sling: a Maya.  When I looked at it for this new baby I suddenly saw how worn and tattered it is.  It is literally falling apart!  I found another in a beautiful blue color, which I'll use until I find my exact Maya fabric on Ebay.  (Off white with brown & green stripes if anyone sees one!)  

For washing I just put my Maya in the washer AND dryer.  

I have tried a few other slings and don't like most of them.  The one other sling I would like (especially for DH) is an old Hotslings fleece.  The kind that doesn't adjust.  That was the only sling I liked about as much as the Maya, but it is seasonal, unlike the Maya (imo).  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#7 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 03:50 PM

Excellent, I definitely need some info on this topic!  I'm thinking of getting a linen ring sling and a DIY wrap that's kind of like a Moby in a bamboo jersey.  Does that sound like a good start or should I consider something else/different?

I was showing them to DH to get his input on fabrics (so I get colours that he would be ok with wearing too) and apparently it's totally not what he was thinking of.  He's picturing something athletic-looking with plastic buckles and such.  I think he'd probably like an Ergo but that will probably work better once baby is bigger, right?

#8 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM

I only wash carriers when they're dirty.  I might throw a couple wraps in the wash ahead of time, but probably won't wash my structured carriers.

Right now, I've got:

Assorted carriers:

Little Stars Pouch Sling

Solarveil Ring Sling

4th Gen Beco (Brick Birds)

Beco Butterfly 1.0 (Olivia)

Wraps:

Chocolate Moby 

Rubinrot Didymos Nino 

Tussa Silk Didymos Nino 

Didy Aare with wool 

Didy Linen Indio Ficus 

Green Tea Girasol 

Natibaby Dandelions (Bamboo)

I'd like to get a Mei Tai of some sort, but not sure what I want yet.  I'm mostly a wrapper.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#9 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 07:07 PM

I'm really interested in the Moby for when the baby is really tiny, but I wonder if it will be too hot in summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoose View Post

I highly recommend a Moby for the tiny stage. I made one after DS2 was born from a cotton knit and looooooooooooooved it. Because it's so stretchy, you can get it nice and snug and it holds baby so close and tight to you.

Quote:

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#10 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 PM

I live in Houston (hot hot hot summers), and I still used my Moby when DD was tiny without problem (she was an April baby as well).  It wasn't too bad because I didn't hang outside too long with a little baby anyway (carrier or not).   I love the Moby for the tiny phase as well but never really touched it after.  My advice is to buy 5-5.5 yards of jersey knit fabric from your local fabric store and cut it in half lengthwise (this makes two Moby wraps).  That is all you have to do to make a perfect Moby replica! I had a Jo-Ann's coupon and was able to make 2 wraps for about $15 total.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

I'm really interested in the Moby for when the baby is really tiny, but I wonder if it will be too hot in summer?

Quote:

Quote:

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#11 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 PM

OH! I love babywearing! A word on stretchy wraps (like the Moby) - they are suitable for front carries only, and once your baby reaches 15-20lbs, the fabric isn't supportive enough. That being said, I really like a Moby for newborn snuggles.

I have in my stash:

2 Moby wraps (1 orange and 1 hunter green)

2 Ring slings (1 Maya (old pattern, purple/blue stripes) with the old shoulder style, I need to re-do the pleats, and 1 Ellaroo (Mango Stone)

1 homemade Mei Tai, (mossy green with a colorful floral panel) toddler size

1 Storchenwiege (Anna) woven wrap, size 6

I'd like to add an Ergo before the year is out. I've played around with the idea of a pouch but I really like the adjustability of a ring sling. All of my carriers I bought second hand except the Mobys (I didn't know any better) and the Mei Tai that I made. The Ellaroo was my first purchase for the new baby. I picked it up for $10 at a consignment sale right after I found out I was expecting! And the Storch I just bought.

I have my two Mobys and my Maya on loan to a friend but I really ought to get them back so I can fix the Maya and get them all washed up. On the subject of washing, I'm very picky. I wash in cold water, gentle cycle with Charlie's Soap. I *NEVER* put them in the dryer. I will use a warm iron to iron them if they are wrinkly. I've never had a wrap shrink or have any problems doing it that way.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#12 of 50 Old 02-06-2011, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Well my *stash* is going to be pathetic compared to everyone else because I'm pretty much a minimalist on just about everything. Some of that is trying to be more frugal but a lot of it especially this time around is space considerations too. Putting a family of 4 (soon to be 5) in an rv means I can't have much of anything. lol.gif  

So far I have: One pack type carrier I forgot what kind but like you'd find at Walmart. I'm not sure how much I'll use it since I never used it much before but I am holding on to it for now since I already have it. And I have one Moby. I plan to get a ring sling since I love it for the little ones and used one constantly with ds. I also want to get a mei tai type carrier but I'm not sure which one yet or if I may just make it myself. I'll probably wait to get it until after baby comes though since I wouldn't use it for a few months anyways.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#13 of 50 Old 02-07-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

I find the Moby way too hot & way too much fabric.  DH LOVES it, though.  I'll be using a woven wrap from the start probably.  DH will use the Moby until baby is too heavy & then he'll likely switch to his Beco (we each have our own so we don't have to adjust the straps all the time).

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#14 of 50 Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 AM

I too only wash baby carriers when they are dirty. My DD was not a spitter-upper or anything, so that's been pretty infrequent! When I did, It was a cold wash and line dry. Unless they are visibly dirty, I'd probably just try airing them out a bit if they have, you know, storage smells.

I have

• an ergo
  • a "fancy" Moby (with a decorative panel and side knot)
  • an adjustable Rockin' Baby pouch sling
  • a Solarveil ring sling from a WAHM

I like them all but I would love to get one of the pretty new Ergos or a new fixed-size pouch, but for budgetary and common sense reasons I'll stick with what I've got.

With a Spring baby on the way, I expect to use the Solarveil sling a lot more than I did last time. It has plastic rings which are not great, so I may see if I can get a local sling maker to swap them for metal rings.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#15 of 50 Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 AM

I just have two carriers, a padded ringsling from Kangaroo Korner that I used all.the.time with ds.  I LOVE it, it's still in great shape too.  I also have a homemade mei tai.  I washed my sling when it got gunky.  i got the mei tai late in the game, and didn't get to use it much with ds, so i havent had to wash it yet.  

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#16 of 50 Old 02-07-2011, 03:54 PM

I had a Moby last time and just never got the hang of it.  It seemed like SO much fabric, it was hot, and the baby just never seemed comfortable.  I think I need something very simple. 

#17 of 50 Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:

I had a Moby last time and just never got the hang of it.  It seemed like SO much fabric, it was hot, and the baby just never seemed comfortable.  I think I need something very simple. 

I hear you on this one.  The maya wrap was my first sling and I liked it alot but didn't care for the tail part.  Then I got a pouch sling.  I took to them so well.  I know a lot of people don't feel comfortable with them but I felt great using the pouch and used it from the time dd2 was a newborn and could just as easily carry a 3 year old in it.  I couldn't stand the Moby for the same reasons as you.  So much fabric- so complicated to me.  the pouch you just pop them in and out. the trick is to get one that fits you well.  I ordered one last time from a company called happy slings.  I don't know where I found them but I am pretty sure its a wahm business.  I used the sling I got there forever and then passed it on to my SIL for her baby.  Its kinda girly so I think I am just going to splurge and buy a new one.  I also think I am going to try out a mesh sling or maybe a solar veil since we are in florida and end up in the pool a lot throughout the summer.   But I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the pouch sling. It worked last time and I'm guessing it will work for me this time, too. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#18 of 50 Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 PM

I currently own 3 carriers - a stretchy wrap, a ring sling and an ergo.   I did have a baby hawk at one point but I sold it after I got the ergo.  I've only washed the ring sling in the washer and spot cleaned the ergo, although it could use a better cleaning.

I'd like to get something with UV protection for the baby and am considering getting a woven wrap.  I'm also thinking of having my mom make my older kids their own pouch carriers.

Question - does your DH/DP wear your DCs?  DH refused to wear DS but DD demanded to be carried so he ended up wearning (and liking) the ergo.  While I can't see him in a wrap I think he'll continue to wear the kids in the ergo.

#19 of 50 Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windymama View Post

Question - does your DH/DP wear your DCs?  DH refused to wear DS but DD demanded to be carried so he ended up wearning (and liking) the ergo.  While I can't see him in a wrap I think he'll continue to wear the kids in the ergo.

DH loves wearing babies and young toddlers. He finds it a lot easier to multitask with a baby in a carrier. He's willing to use any of the carriers we have that fit him no matter what the pattern/color (though we don't have anything super-girly anyway). He gravitates toward the Beco, but has also used the Moby, fleece pouch, and Solarveil pouch.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#20 of 50 Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymama View Post

DH & I used to fight over who got to wear DS when we went somewhere...LOL!  I suspect the same will happen this time as well.  He loves wearing our babieslove.gif  He uses the Moby, his Beco & woven wraps sometimes as well.

#21 of 50 Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 AM

DH liked wearing DS, but could never quite figure out the Moby or Mei Tai on his own. I think if I got him an Ergo he would wear both of the kids a lot more.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#22 of 50 Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM

We have an ergo for Daddy and Ill help him with the Moby if he wears baby before she is good with the ergo infant insert.

I have:

3 ring slings.. 2 with a Kalea shoulder, one is linen and the other is a didymos linea waves that has been slingified.  Love them both.  The Slingified Didy is new and I cant wait to use it.  I also have a Lime green raw silk one that was made by a WAHM that I use for dressier occasions.  Id love to sell the silk one and get a graduated PSling.  But I just havent found a Psling at price I feel okay about :)

2 Onbus  - These are by far my favorite carriers.

1 Podegi - I love this carrier, it's zebra minky on the inside and hot pink and patterned on the outside.  I have gotten oohs and ahhs from strangers every.single.time Ive worn this carrier and DD loved it.  I really like Pods because they are so adjustable and you can tie high and not have the muffin top of Mei tais when you do back carries.. LOL  I really dont like Mei Tais.  Two sets of straps annoy me. and I dont like where they distribute weight.

Sold all my wraps except for the Moby and some lengths of cotton gauze material.  Just not a wrapper :)

#23 of 50 Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM

I used to have a really nice WAHM made mai tai I was given when I had DD2 and I loved it.  I also had a ring sling for her and DD1, but it always bothered my sensitive back to have the weight on one shoulder.  I don't have those anymore, but I really wish I still had the mai tai.

Now I have an Egro (just got it at my shower!).  I always wanted one for my older girls but cheap skate XH wouldn't spend the $.  We got the new grey one with the stars, it's very cute.

I also have a 7 slings pouch sling which I think will be good until we can start using the ergo.

I would like to have something else, but not sure what.  The moby looks like too much fabric, I don't care for the patterns of the maya, and rings slings don't seem to agree with me. 

DP is excited about wearing the baby, which is great.  But I'm not excited about sharing my cute new ergo with him!  I might have to order him his own (he's much taller than me and having to adjust everything to change wearers seems like a pain). 

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#24 of 50 Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 AM

I just ordered a baby k'tan from baby half off for $30.  Seems like it gets pretty good reviews and it was a pretty good price.  Its like a moby/pouch hybrid.  Hoping to like it!! 

#25 of 50 Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 AM

My stash and I haven't bought anything new for baby boy.

2 Kangaroo Korner Pouches one is DH's and one is mine.  Mine is mesh so it can be used in the water.

2 Mei Tais, 1 BabyHawk and 1 Eden Velveteen which is just so soft and cuddly with a newbie

1 Beco Butterfly 1 I really like the infant insert and it is easy to get baby on back early in once they have neck control.

2 Calyx carriers, these are DH's go to carriers, we keep one in the car and one in the house.  DH loves this carrier, and I really like it as well

1 18inch Olives and Applesauce SSC, this is mine, I got it for DS when he outgrew the Butterfly, I got a harness inside it though so I can put a newbie in it, and I used it for DD when she was little as well.  I really like this carrier as well.

The only carrier I am debating is a Toddler Kinderpack, but DD is so tiny at almost 2 that she fits in all our current carriers, and DS doesn't really get carried anymore at 4, so I will probably wait for awhile on the Kinderpack.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#26 of 50 Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM

I love carriers - it's like my second addition after cloth diapering :)

From DS, I have the following:

Hotsling - no idea where this is, probably won't use

SBP Ringsling

Babyhawk MT - loved this with DS

Angelpack LX - great for when baby is a bit heavier

Calyx - favorite carrier for back carries

I also have on the way to me, 2 woven wraps

Didymos Agave in size 6

Vatanai Orkney in size 6

I'm so excited to use woven wraps this time around.  I was kind of chicken with DS. 

#27 of 50 Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 AM

Now I feel like I need to go shopping! I have a Moby (hand-me-down from a friend) and we are planning to get an Ergo. Won't that be enough? Am I missing something--why do you need more than one or two carriers?

#28 of 50 Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreignerforlife View Post

Now I feel like I need to go shopping! I have a Moby (hand-me-down from a friend) and we are planning to get an Ergo. Won't that be enough? Am I missing something--why do you need more than one or two carriers?

Two carriers should work fine.  In the beginning, if you find it isn't working then you can always buy more.

I like have multiple carriers because various types are useful at different times.  Or if I want to wear 2, which has happened before it is nice to have a choice of what to use.  Also if DH is carrying one child I like to be able to carry the other.  That being said my stash has grown slowly over the past 4 years, so it wasn't all bought at once, various carriers were bought at needed.  For instance we used the pouches for DS for the first 4 months or so, and then decided we needed something more supportive because he was so big, so we got a Mei Tai and I got the second one as a present from my sister, because I liked having a backup just in case.  Then I wanted a SSC so I got the butterfly.  Then we wanted one for DH too because he didn't like the butterfly so we got the Calyx.  Then we got another SSC because DS had outgrown the butterfly and I wanted to try something new.  We got our last one the custom Calyx because we really needed a carrier we could leave in the car.  It just made life easier to know we had a carrier in the car, so if we forgot to grab it from the house it was there.  Plus that way we didn't need to remember to grab it from the car every time we got home as well.

It just makes my life easier to have a bunch of carriers, and they work for different types of carries, different weights and different times of the day depending on how I feel like wearing baby or toddler.  That being said, I could get by with a pouch or Mei Tai for a newborn and a SSC as they get older without issue, it just would be a bit more confining for me, not to be able to chose a carrier based on my mood, or have to remember to move the carrier from home to car and back everytime we went out, rather then knowing there is always a carrier in my car.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#29 of 50 Old 02-16-2011, 06:07 AM

last night I ordered a mesh carrier off of etsy. it can be used in the water and hopefully will be cool for florida weather.  Its a pouch and I love pouch slings!  So now I will have a baby k'tan and a mesh pouch.  I'm so boring I ordered them both in black.  Hopefully I will like them both , I've never used a k'tan but I like the concept and I've never used the mesh, although I like the concept there, too.  And I got them at really great prices.  So excited for them to come!!! 

#30 of 50 Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 AM

oooh, I ordered an Ergo Sport today from babysteals for 45% off.  I've always wanted a soft structured carrier, just couldn't bring myself to pay for one.  I'm very excited to add to my stash.  I think dh will love the Ergo.  He never liked the ring sling.  

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page