What's in your birth plan? Have you shared w/ Dr. yet? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't really solidified my wishes yet, but I hope to labor at home this time long enough to avoid pitocin coming up.  I was given it with DD and was totally petrified!  ( Fluid was meconium stained and no good cx after 5 hrs and Dr. didn't want to wait any longer)  I know I want to delay cord clamping, and don't want the placenta tugged out.  I may be getting encapsulation done, I just haven't found the courage to tell DH.  Do I have to justify these things and discuss them with Dr. or do I just give him a sheet for my chart since any of the 8 Drs may deliver with me?

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Hey mama, just went through this myself about a month and a half ago. I wrote up a birth plan, and took it with me to the first appointment. I told him I was going to need more than the 15 seconds he was planning on giving me to go over it with him ;) I put a line on the bottom of it with his name underneath for signature. We went over each item, and he put a disclaimer underneath it (i.e. unless there's an emergency) and signed it. He took a copy and put it in my chart, so that any one of the 5 docs on call with his practice will see it. I plan on posting it on my door while laboring at the hospital. When they sign it, it becomes more of a "prescription" and less of a "we'll see what we can do" type thing. I also think some hospitals will allow you to sign consent forms ahead of time. You may want to check on that too.

Oh, and for the cord cutting thing- sometimes they just cut immediately, automatically. My m/w had a grand idea. DH has asked to cut the cord, and she whispered something like "drop the scissors" lol. Hell it may just work to get a few extra minutes- especially if they don't have a spare pair laying around the delivery room ;)

Wife (34) of 13 years to DH (36), Mom to Logan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10), and Tristan and Cael,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the wee ones, born 3/18/11, and little baby Silas
born 1/22/13. TTC #5!
#3 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 AM

I've just started thinking about this. The practice I'm with is very pro-natural birthing mamas, so I know as far as that goes I won't need to fight for most of what I want. One of these appointments soon I will make a list of things to talk to the MW about, just to make sure where they stand on each point. Things like IV/hepwell, when they want to augment, how far past EDD they are willing to let mamas go, delayed cord clamping.

A lot of things I'm confident in my ability to simply state to the nursing staff (No thanks, I do not want an IV/hepwell. Yes, I understand the risks, and still decline that procedure. Thank you.) Even so, I will be making a list for the nursing staff, particularly for post-birth baby things: no eye goo, no vit K, delayed cord clamping, wanting to keep placenta (I also want to encapsulate). I'll also be reminding DH to be on the watch and hover if they take baby away to the warmer, to make sure they don't do the goo and vit K -- they usually do it so much by habit they might forget, and sometimes they call in extra nurses right at birth who won't have seen the wish list. I'll also have a doula there, who can help with these things too.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011

#4 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 AM

ITA with Nanette about going over your birth plan with the OB and getting him/her to sign it.  If you're using a generic plan from the internet it may have stuff on it that is not even available at the hospital (ie many hospitals don't have nitrous oxide for labour).

FWIW I had my OB go over my plan with me for DD before signing and she left a signed copy in my chart.  I knew she wouldn't be at the delivery but having her signature meant that many people do take it more seriously (like L&D nurses) but not all will.

Oh, and I really like the "drop the scissors".  I'd never have thought of that! :)

#5 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 11:29 AM

I just started thinking about this too. I have an appointment coming up and I was going to ask my MW when we discuss all the options. With DD we ended up leaving the state at 36 weeks and I didn't come up with a birth plan.  I was really upset they gave DD the eye ointment when I had a c/s and they gave her the Hep vax when I signed papers for her to not get them. When she had her first well baby check up she got the vax and then two weeks later we got a bill from the hospital and noticed the vax was on there. So twice in two weeks? I thought that signing papers was enough to have my wishes understood but now I know better.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#6 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Oo this would have made me furious! Not that it would have made any difference since you can't unvax a child, but did you ever talk to anyone at the hospital about that? That's all kinds of wrong Cuss.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post

they gave her the Hep vax when I signed papers for her to not get them. When she had her first well baby check up she got the vax and then two weeks later we got a bill from the hospital and noticed the vax was on there. So twice in two weeks? I thought that signing papers was enough to have my wishes understood but now I know better.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#7 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:  I never spoke to anyone. We had already returned home by then (IL to RI) and it seemed pointless and her pedi assured me she would be fine. Now I know that even though you might have some requests in writing for your birth plan/nb procedures, they might not get followed.

Originally Posted by bleumoose View Post

Oo this would have made me furious! Not that it would have made any difference since you can't unvax a child, but did you ever talk to anyone at the hospital about that? That's all kinds of wrong Cuss.gif

Quote:

they gave her the Hep vax when I signed papers for her to not get them. When she had her first well baby check up she got the vax and then two weeks later we got a bill from the hospital and noticed the vax was on there. So twice in two weeks? I thought that signing papers was enough to have my wishes understood but now I know better.

#8 of 11 Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:  I never spoke to anyone. We had already returned home by then (IL to RI) and it seemed pointless and her pedi assured me she would be fine. Now I know that even though you might have some requests in writing for your birth plan/nb procedures, they might not get followed.

Isn't that the truth!  That's why it's so important to be clear about your preferences and NEVER EVER let the baby out of your (or your partner's or doula's) sight.  It's not usually deliberate; they just have their routines and it's like an assembly line in a lot of those L&D's -- "this is what we do," they say, and short of standing right there reminding them what you want, it is quite difficult to convince them to change it.  I had a signed birth plan for my first, too, but I still had to speak up a LOT to remind people of the things that were on there. 

FWIW, I have discussed my birth plan with my MW already so that I wasn't surprised further down the line. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#9 of 11 Old 02-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Exactly, you can't trust that something will/not happen just because it's written down. A lot of the hospitals here are doing triage on the baby at the mom's bedside, which makes it a lot easier to keep track of what's happening to the baby. It's worth talking to the hospital and finding out ahead of time whether this is an option. If it is not, then definitely have dad/doula/other responsible person **right there** watching every move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

Isn't that the truth!  That's why it's so important to be clear about your preferences and NEVER EVER let the baby out of your (or your partner's or doula's) sight.  It's not usually deliberate; they just have their routines and it's like an assembly line in a lot of those L&D's -- "this is what we do," they say, and short of standing right there reminding them what you want, it is quite difficult to convince them to change it.  I had a signed birth plan for my first, too, but I still had to speak up a LOT to remind people of the things that were on there. 

#10 of 11 Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just started thinking about this too. I have an appointment coming up and I was going to ask my MW when we discuss all the options. With DD we ended up leaving the state at 36 weeks and I didn't come up with a birth plan.  I was really upset they gave DD the eye ointment when I had a c/s and they gave her the Hep vax when I signed papers for her to not get them. When she had her first well baby check up she got the vax and then two weeks later we got a bill from the hospital and noticed the vax was on there. So twice in two weeks? I thought that signing papers was enough to have my wishes understood but now I know better.

That is terrible!  I could see how you wouldn't know what they were doing though, both deliveries I was having my tears sewn while daddy was in the back peeking over the nurses shoulders

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#11 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

FWIW, I have discussed my birth plan with my MW already so that I wasn't surprised further down the line. 

This is what I'm going to be adamant about this time. DH doesn't get a lot of the stuff that bothers me about nb procedures and common delivery practices. He just thinks we should let everyone do their job. I think this is nuts and I would never let anyone decide for me how birthing my baby should go! He is coming around on my wishes/wants for myself. It's just convincing him that if the baby is out of my sight, then he has to speak up if they start to do something I don't agree with. Last time we both had no clue. We didn't expect a c/s. He went with DD and let them do their routine while he video taped everything. A year later I watched the video and was pissed to see her get a shot (could have been vitamin K or the vax) and someone else giving her her first bath. Honestly though, I think I was more hurt about not being the first one to give my baby a bath. I didn't know I would be bothered by it until seeing it on video.

I guess this time I'm leaning towards two birth plans in the event the vbac doesn't go as planned. I realize hospitals have their way of doing things, but it's still my right as a patient/parent to chose what I want for myself and child.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page