Has Anyone had any Experience with High Umbilical Cord pressure? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had my first appt. for Biophysical u/s and non stress test last Monday, and the tech (same one who was really insensitive about the lost twin. And, no, she has never had a baby - I asked her straight out) said that she wanted to explain to me what was going on, because the dr was going to say something about it, and she didn't want me to be blown away by it in front of him. I have to say, that was very sweet of her.

Anyway, she said that the pressure in the cord was quite a bit too high in 2 of the 3 places that they measure it - baby's abdomen, and in the middle. She showed me how if it goes below the baseline, its an ambulance ride and immediate delivery. It wasn't quite that low in the dips, but it wasn't very far from it.

I googled it and tried to research it, but I literally could find nothing. Does anyone here have and knowledge of this? The tech told me that basically, my placenta is failing, and that the baby gets less and less blood and oxygen the higher the pressure goes. When it hits that baseline, the baby is getting nothing until my heart kicks back in and "overrides" the placenta...basically.

I'm already at almost 100 units of insulin per day, and high doses of 2 bp meds everyday...

Wife, 27, to DH, 33, and Mama to DS1 Josiah - 8/09, DS2 James - 3/11, 10 angel babies, 3 foster children, and one adorable ALMOST ADOPTED son - 5/05 

#2 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

I'm sorry - I know nothing about this but can I just say...this tech sounds nuts!  Are they supposed to say stuff like this to you?  I realize she/he feels like they are doing you a favor but it doesn't sound like you've gotten good info or that you really understand what's going on, which is what an expert is for.  

Let us know what's going on...I'll poke around the internet too...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Article on placenta failure (possibly a scary read for you but, to me, it indicates that there is MUCH more that you need to know besides the bits the tech told you).  http://www.obgyn.net/pregnancy-birth/pregnancy-birth.asp?page=/pb/articles/placental_failure

#4 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 02:24 PM

I poked around.  I did see a few posts on other message boards where moms were told something similar to you (but by their care provider...not the tech!).  

How is the size of your baby?  

What I think is that this tech should not have discussed things like "your levels are close to the level where you need immediate ambulance ride and delivery" unless the VERY next step was for you to immediately see your care provider.  Also, it seems like the tech identified cord pressure and then gave you ONE likely cause according to her untrained opinion.  As far as I know a tech is trained to take good pictures - NOT diagnose problems.  

Of the two women with what sounds like similar ultrasound results - one was asked back for a second ultrasound and the other was diagnosed with some problem (baby not getting the right nutrients) and needed to be born early.  

If it were me, I think I would take this seriously and ask to speak to my care provider about it right away.  Because of what the tech told you, I would not feel badly about wanting a consult from my care provider on a Sunday evening.  I would also do the other women seeing this tech a favor and tell your care provider what she told you.  

Something, though, is also telling me that if you weren't offered a consult with your care provider ASAP then things are probably OK for now.  Can you tell that I just think this whole thing is just wrong?!    

I'm sorry mama!  I hope you get this all worked out asap.  

#5 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 02:04 PM

we had this problem with AJ my second child. he was induced at 33 weeks. we had a BPP and he scored very low on the first but still "passed". then even lower 3 days later when they repeated it. he was born the night following the second BPP.  he did ok once he was born but he was very small for dates and struggled some. he did better than they expected off the bat but worse later in the first 3 years. hes a healthy (MOODY MISERABLE DARK TWISTY) 12 year old now

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Of the two women with what sounds like similar ultrasound results - one was asked back for a second ultrasound and the other was diagnosed with some problem (baby not getting the right nutrients) and needed to be born early.  

If it were me, I think I would take this seriously and ask to speak to my care provider about it right away.  Because of what the tech told you, I would not feel badly about wanting a consult from my care provider on a Sunday evening.  I would also do the other women seeing this tech a favor and tell your care provider what she told you.  

Something, though, is also telling me that if you weren't offered a consult with your care provider ASAP then things are probably OK for now.  Can you tell that I just think this whole thing is just wrong?!    

I'm sorry mama!  I hope you get this all worked out asap.  

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

#6 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you ICMama, and Kttn.

ICM - I had seen those forums where the moms had posted about it but since they weren't "medical information"...more just discussion, I didn't know what to believe. I'm also very surprised that the tech said all that she did last week. 

Again I had my appt before the u/s today, and he was basically going to not address it at all, until I pressed him. This is what I learned. It's not exactly "pressure" in the cord...it's more accurately blood flow. The top peaks are how much blood is flowing through the cord when the baby's heart is constricting and the bottom valleys are how much blood is flowing through the cord when the baby's heart relaxes. The number is the ratio between each peak and valley. So, when the number goes up, the baby's heart is having to do more and more of the work that the placenta should be doing on it's own. He did also say that when the valley goes below that "baseline", you are at the hospital in 2 minutes having the baby (his exact words). He went on to explain that the u/s gave them an idea of what was going on with the baby, the ability to see when problems are starting to happen, and whether or not they can reasonably hope that the baby will be ok for the next 7 days. It's when the number gets above 4 that they really start to get concerned (it's should be 2-3).

On to my u/s next, the number was up from 3.62 last week to 3.97 today. (His breathing, movements, and the amniotic fluid were all fine)  I don't know if I'm making more of this than I need to, or if my dr is not taking things seriously and/or not telling me what's going on like normal - and YES, I tried to transfer, but since I'm so high-risk, I found out the hard way that NO dr will take me without a referral from him.

Wife, 27, to DH, 33, and Mama to DS1 Josiah - 8/09, DS2 James - 3/11, 10 angel babies, 3 foster children, and one adorable ALMOST ADOPTED son - 5/05 

#7 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post

we had this problem with AJ my second child. he was induced at 33 weeks. we had a BPP and he scored very low on the first but still "passed". then even lower 3 days later when they repeated it. he was born the night following the second BPP.  he did ok once he was born but he was very small for dates and struggled some. he did better than they expected off the bat but worse later in the first 3 years. hes a healthy (MOODY MISERABLE DARK TWISTY) 12 year old now

Are you saying that the "valley" was very low, as in close to that all-important baseline? Or that the ratio number was really low (like less than 2 or something?)

#8 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 AM

the score for the biophysical profile was low his first one he scored 4 out of 8 and the last(the day they induced) was 2. he made no breathing movements, low fluid and there was something else I cant remember. in addition to an issue with the pressure in the cord. I dont remember the numbers on that, just that when they switched the doppler to color the tech gasped and grabbed the dr. aj was born that same day

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfamMama View Post

Quote:

Are you saying that the "valley" was very low, as in close to that all-important baseline? Or that the ratio number was really low (like less than 2 or something?)

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

#9 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

How is the size of your baby?  

Forgot to answer this...yeah...it's something I would love to know, as well. Last week, she said he didn't order any measurements on the baby, so she didn't know. I forgot to ask her yesterday, but I know for sure she didn't take any measurements of the baby - just amniotic fluid, etc.

Quote:

the score for the biophysical profile was low his first one he scored 4 out of 8 and the last(the day they induced) was 2. he made no breathing movements, low fluid and there was something else I cant remember. in addition to an issue with the pressure in the cord. I dont remember the numbers on that, just that when they switched the doppler to color the tech gasped and grabbed the dr. aj was born that same day

Yes...I know what you're talking about now...he did say that a "perfect score" is 8. I don't know what he scored...they didn't tell me. One of the (other, many) things that bothers me about the dr and his office is that there isn't any "repeated u/s in 2 or 3 days". The tech is only there for a couple of hours on Monday and Friday...that's it...  

#10 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM

call the office ask for the baby's score as part of the BPP. they should have taken measurements as part of it. if your  baby scored low insist on a repeat right away. if you notice any issues with movement or you feel like something just isnt right please dont hesitate to go straight to the hospital. I know it seems scary and just from my experience , it can be. I dont want to scare you but pay close attention to your intuition 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page