DPs Travelling Before Due Dates - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So judging from the comments in another thread I thought I'd ask how many of you have DPs travelling before your due dates?  How close to your due date are they going to travel?

My DH is away right now and will be away for a few days when I'm 35 weeks which makes me very nervous as DS came at 35 weeks.  I don't think he can get out of these trips and I'm not sure how quickly he'll be able to get home.  I am so pissed of at him and his workplace right now.  I have a feeling he'll be travelling shortly after the baby's born too leaving me alone to cope with the 3 kids. :-(

#2 of 16 Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM

My DW's job involves a lot of travel. She's usually gone 2-4 days a week from late-September to December and then again from February to May. I also work full-time, so when she's gone I'm solo-parenting in the evening.

Our EDD is April 2, so she's blocked out March 21-April 15 as no travel dates in her calendar and she'll be taking one-week off after the baby is born.  I think she's gone for 3-4 days of my 36th week, but I don't think there's anything other than a day trip during the 37th (well, today at least). 

It sucks. I don't always like it. But, this is what we signed up for as a family. She makes pretty good money and enjoys her job for the most part. We split most of the running of the household, although she's back in school part-time until July and I've been trying to pick up more, and thankfully we have teens who have stepped up.  Other than the occasional times where it's really nice to have respite from the kids, she does miss us horribly when she travels, and would she would rather be home than living out of a suitcase.  So that feels nice.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#3 of 16 Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 PM

DH is traveling this weekend (almost 33 weeks), but so am I. wink1.gif I'm driving 4 hours to my parents for the weekend and he'll fly back into their airport, and we're going to the OR coast for our anniversary then drive home together next week (and 22mo DS is staying with my parents while we go to the coast woohoo).

He won't be traveling other than that. With DS (our first), he had a potential interview on the other side of the country and we would have been comfortable with him going no later than 37 weeks. I went into labor at 38w3d. The job ended up wanting us all to come, so we all traveled for the interview together when DS was 8weeks old.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 16 Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Alicia... the coast for your anniversary will be so nice.  I love the OR coast, it's like nowhere else.  Where are you going?

My DP will be flying to NJ March16-21 when I will be 34 weeks.  I'm not concerned about it at all.  He and his son are flying out to visit family and I am looking forward to some time alone with my daughters before the baby comes.  My DDs were both born at 38 weeks, so I think there is little risk of anything happening while he is gone.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#5 of 16 Old 02-17-2011, 02:48 PM

DH has no travel plans on or around my due date. He does travel for work some but very infrequently. If he was going anywhere, we'd know about it by now. I however have Jury duty March 7th. I hope I don't get picked! What do you do if you get picked for jury duty and are 40 weeks pregnant or something? Can you get out of it?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#6 of 16 Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 AM

DH had to opportunity to participate in a conference mid-March, when I'd be around 37 weeks.  He declined, although I was ok with him going.  Part of the challenge is that it's in England so an 8 hr flight + time to get to the airport and from the airport to home - but first time babies tend to take a while and I'm not expecting the baby to show up early.  In retrospect it's probably good that he decided not to go, just one less thing to worry about and I'm sure it would be very stressful for him to worry about what was going on at home.

#7 of 16 Old 02-18-2011, 04:46 PM

I'll be 35 weeks on Monday and my husband will be going on a snowboarding trip for about 4 days over the weekend when I go from 35-36 weeks.  I'm very glad he gets to go, but worried about him getting hurt!  And, of course, I'd be more comfortable with the idea of going into labor early if he were going to be in town -- or in the state! 

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#8 of 16 Old 02-18-2011, 07:06 PM

My DH is grounded at 36 weeks (I'm 31 now), although I'm not anticipating the baby to come that early.  I'm hoping he won't need to travel again until at least June, but I wouldn't make a big deal about it if he had to go before then.  My mom is close by & retired & happy to come stay when DH is away so we'd be fine.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#9 of 16 Old 02-19-2011, 09:42 AM

My DH is supposed to be going on a business trip mid-April when I'm 37 weeks.  It's still up in the air, but I'm still hesitant about him going although the extra money would be good  since he's self employed and I won't be getting paid while I'm on leave.  In any case, my mom will come down if he goes away.  But I really hope I don't go into labor early.  DS came 2 days after his due date, so hopefully this one will follow that pattern.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#10 of 16 Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 AM

My DP isn't even living here yet unfortunately.  I live in Canada, he lives in the US and is in school until mid May.  He's coming up here in 2 weeks for about 5 days.  Then he's coming for spring break on April 15th for about 10 days (I'm due April 18).  I'm just hoping I don't have this baby early - my daughter was 1 day early, my son was born at 37.5wks so my midwives think I'll deliver between 37-40 weeks.  We are really hoping he doesn't miss the birth but there is a fairly good chance that will happen unfortunately.  His sister is coming up when I'm about 37 weeks to help me and make sure I have someone here if I do go into labour earlier.  I also have good friends who plan to attend the birth (home birth).

Around April 25 he leaves for 3 weeks and comes back May 15.  My parents will be here (from New Zealand) while he's gone for his exams at least, I'll need help with my older kids.   I am hoping to keep this little guy in until close to 40 weeks... At least I'm off work on a fully paid sick leave now (due to low thyroid related tiredness).  So I can try and relax and take it easy for the next 8 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

DH has no travel plans on or around my due date. He does travel for work some but very infrequently. If he was going anywhere, we'd know about it by now. I however have Jury duty March 7th. I hope I don't get picked! What do you do if you get picked for jury duty and are 40 weeks pregnant or something? Can you get out of it?

I got summoned for Jury Duty recently and just managed to get out of it.  I went to the first summons which was for a sexual assault case on two teenage girls - I knew they wouldn't pick me.  Then then wanted me to come back a week later so I wrote a fax to the court.  I didn't do it earlier because I was afraid of being deferred instead of excused and then having to go back when my baby was young.  Anyway, I managed to get completely excused by saying I plan to breastfeed for at least 2 years like I did with my older kids, plus DP and I have no family in Canada so I'd have no one to look after baby until I go back to work after my 1 year mat leave and put him in daycare.  There should be some instructions on how you can ask to be excused from jury duty on the summons you received.

Good luck!

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

#11 of 16 Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Mine is supposed to be gone March 1st-15th and I'm due April 1st.  We're not sure if that trip may be canceled or not.... either way he's flying home early if something happens!

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#12 of 16 Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post

DH had to opportunity to participate in a conference mid-March, when I'd be around 37 weeks.  He declined, although I was ok with him going.  Part of the challenge is that it's in England so an 8 hr flight + time to get to the airport and from the airport to home - but first time babies tend to take a while and I'm not expecting the baby to show up early.  In retrospect it's probably good that he decided not to go, just one less thing to worry about and I'm sure it would be very stressful for him to worry about what was going on at home.

Umm... I thought that too but my first came at 37 weeks in 7 hrs start to finish. Second didn't come until due date and was 5 hrs start to finish. I'm not sure what to expect this time LOL

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#13 of 16 Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM

Dh's job requires travel (contract type work) but we go with him. Right now our current 'post' is about 6 wks so I'm going to be around 36-37 weeks when it ends. We think the next job will start right after it and be in another location also about 1 1/2 hrs from our hometown. Depending on what is going on at the time I'll probably be at my mom's and he'll just rush to us when labor starts. If I have no signs of being close though and feel alright we may go with him. Ugh it sucks not knowing where I'll be or what'll be happening around labor time.

#14 of 16 Old 02-24-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post

Umm... I thought that too but my first came at 37 weeks in 7 hrs start to finish. Second didn't come until due date and was 5 hrs start to finish. I'm not sure what to expect this time LOL

Yeah, we kind figured that counting on that was bound to make the baby show up early and fast too.  And I can picture him running around Heathrow airport looking for a last minute flight. LOL  You just can't predict it I guess!

#15 of 16 Old 02-27-2011, 10:22 AM

It'd be nice if we could though! I'd certainly feel better if someone could tell me okay here's when to expect baby. At least within a week time span! Nope all I get is this due date and it could be anywhere from 38-42 wks though unless of course it's early... ugh LOL!

#16 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 05:05 PM

Update....I said above that DH isn't traveling. But his aunt died yesterday and he'll be going to the funeral in FL (we're in WA). He'll be gone 5 days because that $200 less than going for a shorter trip. I'm not worried about going into labor (34w now) but about being so tired taking care of DS while he's gone. My parents might come up to help out but that also means me buying more food and I'd hate to have my mom cook all the meals, but I am not up for cooking all the meals either.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page