Belly Binding Anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone going to be bellybinding post partum or has with previous pregnancies?

I had bad after pains with DS2 and I would like to know more about this before using it.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#2 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 AM

i haven't done it before but I did buy a binder this time and plan to this time.  This is the one I got.  It got pretty good reviews and was less than the belly bandit. 

http://www.amazon.com/Gabrialla-Breathable-Elastic-Abdominal-Binder/dp/B000WFW7W2/ref=pd_ys_iyr_img 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#3 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I didn't do it with DS but want to do it this time because I've been pg 3 times in the last 18 months and it has done a number on my stomach! I was just about to post a thread in this DDC because I got my binder in the mail yesterday. I decided to get a Squeem waist cincher after reading this blog post with reviews of five different ones. I'm looking forward to using it and seeing how it works!

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#4 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yes thats me. This is #3 and DS1 will be 4 next month so its has definantly taken a toll on my body. I also have a umbilical hernia with this pregnancy as I did with DS2 but this time it is worse so I am wondering if binding would help it out more when everything starts to shrink back. Also with DS2 I lost lots of weight afterwards but still had some stomach issues. I would like to "help" it out as much as I can lol.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#5 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 PM

I have been looking into this since I got pregnant this time around, but I kept flip-flopping on which binder to buy. 

Sihaya, I think I am going to go with the Squeem after reading the reviews.  I am a little confused on what size to buy though?  In my "normal" state I would get a small, but I'm thinking I should go one size up for early postpartum use.  Any ideas?

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#6 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 05:09 PM

I just bought a Squeem after reading this!  Amazon has a bunch of them on sale for about $35, which looks to be a great deal!  I'm also confused by the sizing, the squeem website said to order up if you are between sizes, so I went with a Large, knowing that I might have to go to a Medium after the initial jelly belly thing gets better. 

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#7 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 05:39 PM

this idea is pretty traditional in Portuguese families. I hadn't thought about it this in years. mm ..makes me miss my grandmother. i think i may go back and look into this more as well

Annemarie~ married to super hubbysuperhero.gif  ~catholic mom of 4 boys(fencing.gif.17+14)..(ribbonjigsaw.gif.splat.gif7).(.blahblah.gif.5)..(Emmaangel3.gif) Grace Clotilde. 4/10/11 someone new 2/2013

An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

#8 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
allical - I went by my pre-pg belly size when I ordered the Squeem because I really don't want to buy more than one. If it doesn't fit immediately postpartum, I'll use a Moby or something like that until it does. It is pretty stretchy though and I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to fit into shortly after I give birth (with the help of my midwives or DH!)

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#9 of 19 Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 PM

I plan to get one as well. I have looked for a belly bandit on ebay but wanted to verify my size first. Not that I had much of a stomach before, I'm sure it'll help some just with the support of my abdominals. Those who do it, check out the book Losing Your Mummy Tummy for the right ab exercises to do to bring your abs back together.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#10 of 19 Old 02-25-2011, 07:18 AM

If you count wearing tight, high waisted jeans then I did last time. They were hideous and buttoned above my belly button, but they sucked everything in and felt supportive. When I wasn't wearing my jeans I wore my Bella Band. This time around I want to buy a real belly binder, but I'm still undecided. I think that if I'm in between sizes I'll just go to WalMart and buy something there until I fit the size I need in the binder.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#11 of 19 Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM

https://id217.chi.us.securedata.net/fstubbs.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=122

this is the one I bought after lots of reading. My sister tried it on, and I just lent it to my SIL to get their opinions since I obviously can't try it yet. My sister said as long as a tank top was worn underneath it, it worked really well. no riding up, rubbing, etc.

So I have high hopes.

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#12 of 19 Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 PM

totally thinking of doing this now as my kiddos will be 2 years apart, so relatively close in terms of pregnancy etc.  Would like the extra support, especially when I start lifting my 30 lb toddler!  Do you think I could just tie one of my large scarves tightly around my belly?  obviously with some help

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#13 of 19 Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 PM

I think I'm just going to do this using a nice big scarf.  I have several colors and things and as long as I can wrap it around nearly 2x I am good to go.  Thanks for the thoughts ladies!  I had heard of this but never thought to do it.

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#14 of 19 Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicviolin View Post

I think I'm just going to do this using a nice big scarf.  I have several colors and things and as long as I can wrap it around nearly 2x I am good to go.  Thanks for the thoughts ladies!  I had heard of this but never thought to do it.

I think that would work. At Tupler's website, author of Losing Your Mummy Tummy, she talks about doing that with a sheet. A scarf that isn't stretchy would work.

http://maternalfitness.com/

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#15 of 19 Old 02-26-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

I think that would work. At Tupler's website, author of Losing Your Mummy Tummy, she talks about doing that with a sheet. A scarf that isn't stretchy would work.

http://maternalfitness.com/

We tried the sheet thing on my sister who has a 7wk old. I cut a sheet into wide strips about 10 or 12 inches, wrapped them on her from under her bust to over her hips and pinned it. She said it helped alot at first, but it was REALLY hard to keep comfortable and it kept bunching up. After that experiment I decided to go with a different plan, and researched the different binders on the market. I really wanted to do it the thrifty way but I know if I can't be comfortable in it I won't wear it. And that isn't an option for me this time, IMO, ya know?

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#16 of 19 Old 02-27-2011, 04:15 PM

Luckily I've got non-stretchy scarves.  I totally understand needing to be comfy as well!  I'm probably only going to do it for a few weeks though, so shelling out some $$$ isn't exactly worth it to me.  I am totally cheap! nut.gif

#17 of 19 Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 PM

How did you decide what size to get on the Squeem?  It looks the best to me, but doesn't look very adjustable and I'm afraid of buying the wrong size.

Jamie ~ mama to Ryan (2.24.05) Luke (12.5.07)  Henry (6.27.09) & Josiah (due 4/11)
#18 of 19 Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 PM

I'm also wondering with the Squeem, it doesn't adjust down as your belly shrinks compared to a velcro binder. Anyone consider that and still get one?  Sounds like it has great reviews.

#19 of 19 Old 03-05-2011, 08:14 PM

The squeem looks good except that I've still got a "mommy apron" from a previous c-section and it doesn't look like this comes down far enough. Plus, funds are limited and I can't imagine buying this thing and then forking out more money for a smaller size later. I remember my mother binding my sister and nieces and just using muslin and diaper pins. I think I might try to do something similar with muslin and velcro. 

Roslyn (46) Whitney (45) Luke (5/04) (boy due 5/11) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page