insane rib pain - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone have any helpful tips on how to rest/relax comfortably?  My LO has his/her feet up under my 12th rib on my right side... right by the liver.  It's causing me all sorts of grief. 

I'm 35w4d but my fundus measures 33cm... so I know the bugger is getting cramped in there.  Wondering if anyone has found anything that works to stay comfortable while resting?

Thank you!

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#2 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 04:58 PM

sorry-  no advice for you. My lo isn't there ALL the time but quite frequently he starts kicking right in that same area and it actually makes me sore!  i usually just push him down. 

Have you tried a ball.  i love sitting on my ball and then leaning forward onto the couch and sort of letting my belly hang. that usually helps move him into a more comfortable position.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#3 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Bummer feeling huh?  :) 

I have not tried a ball... for I do not have one!  I have laid on my boppy on the bed, almost in "child's pose" in yoga to stretch out my stomach a bit, but it never seems to work!  I love that I know exactly where his/her body parts are at all times, but it's seriously beginning to hurt!

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 AM

I love the ball.  If he decides to be wedged up in my rib it won't necessarily get him out but it does help rotate him off of my back and it definitely helps with the achy hips.  I can do childs pose sort of leaning over the ball and that feels pretty good, too.  I highly recommend a ball ($9 @ Target!) but I do know some people who did not like it.  (think they must have been crazy!!)

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#5 of 6 Old 03-03-2011, 01:43 PM

Are you 100% sure it's a foot?  If it's always on your right side, it might be your gallbladder.

When I was pregnant with DD I thought her foot was constantly up under my right rib because I had so much pain & pressure there for my entire 3rd trimester.  But with this pregnancy, I had the exact same pain, only it started earlier, and I knew it couldn't be a foot yet, not up so high under my ribs. 

I got it checked out, and apparently it was an inflamed gallbladder -- fairly common in pregnancy (which I didn't know until my MW told me) and quite painful.  I modified my diet (cut out almost all fat, except a little bit of nuts, avocado and olive oil), and the pain has gone away almost completely.  If I slip and eat something fried, or have some cheese or pizza or something, then the right-rib pain comes right back, but the modified diet has helped a LOT. 

Just wanted to be sure you considered this possibility; I'm sure it was the same thing with my first pregnancy and I never realized it.  If you're having really bad heartburn and gas/bloating in addition to the rib pain, I would definitely look into gallbladder as a culprit.  I can't believe how much better the heartburn is since I went on the gallbladder diet.  I can even drink coffee this time around; I couldn't even look at the stuff during my last pregnancy without having severe heartburn. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#6 of 6 Old 03-06-2011, 12:27 PM

While I really savor the last month of pregnancy, I could *so* do without the foot under the ribs.  All my babies have hung out on the right side, so the rib pain is under my left bottom rib.  Seems like it's worse when I have a full stomach.  Seems like laying on the opposite side of the rib pain helps a little.  I know it's the foot because when I press down with my hand I feel the little foot move, but then he usually just puts it back after I stop pushing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page