2 cm dilated and 50% effaced at 35 weeks!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As my eyes were popping out of my head, my OB assured me that I could stay this way for weeks, but I was curious if moms who have had babies already experienced early dilation or effacement. How long before you finally delivered? With my first, I did not dilate at all until about 1.5 weeks before due date. My son was four days early. But maybe things are different the second time around? I'm also losing mucous plug a scant amount at a time. Anyone else showing signs like this?

Married to Tony 6/07. Mommy to Jude 4/08 and Gemma 4/11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 PM

With my 2nd I was 3cm and 50% by 36 weeks(we didn't check before that), and was 6cm and 75% by 38 weeks...I still made it to my induction date 5 days later(if I knew then what I know now, I would have let it happen naturally), I was 7cm and 80% when I checked into the hospital...NOT in labor.  LOL

Shannon~mother to 7 #8 due @Sept 8th.

#3 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM

If you are having regular strong contractions I might be concerned but otherwise wouldn't worry...we're just getting to that point. I never dilated until I was in labor either time so I would be surprised to find I had.  But you could walk around 2 cm until 41 weeks or you could have a baby in a few hours.  It's not super reliable.  BUT it is 2 cm you don't have to dilate later!! 

Holy Cow Shannon- you were 7cm not in labor when you admitted?!?!?  Were the nurses freaking out??  How long til you delivered??

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#4 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

number 4 was 80%effaced and 3cm dilated  at 35 weeks and went 13 days late

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreenemama View Post

As my eyes were popping out of my head, my OB assured me that I could stay this way for weeks, but I was curious if moms who have had babies already experienced early dilation or effacement. How long before you finally delivered? With my first, I did not dilate at all until about 1.5 weeks before due date. My son was four days early. But maybe things are different the second time around? I'm also losing mucous plug a scant amount at a time. Anyone else showing signs like this?

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#5 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 PM

I could be but I'll never know :).

I believe your OB. It's not your first baby, your body is already primed and will show signs weeks ahead of actual delivery.

And WOW at the other mamas who were very much dilated without labor! I'm guessing the births went pretty quickly?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 9 Old 03-05-2011, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yes! a little over 2 hrs from first contraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

I could be but I'll never know :).

I believe your OB. It's not your first baby, your body is already primed and will show signs weeks ahead of actual delivery.

And WOW at the other mamas who were very much dilated without labor! I'm guessing the births went pretty quickly?

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#7 of 9 Old 03-05-2011, 04:10 PM

I was 4cm dilated from 34 weeks on with my ds. I didnt have him until 39w2d and I was induced then for pre e.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 9 Old 03-06-2011, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I had no signs of labor with my first until I was in labor but ds I was dilated for about 3 wks before having him including being 3cm for over a week before he came on his due date. I also lost bits of mucus plug I think about 2 weeks before I had him. Drove me nuts. With dd I had no signs of labor and it just started with my water breaking at 37 wks. DS made me crazy thinking he was coming 'any minute now' for weeks before he appeared. I was beginning to wonder if I was really going to have him. eyesroll.gif At least this time I know what to expect...

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#9 of 9 Old 03-11-2011, 02:30 PM

With #1 I was seeing a hospital CNM and had preterm labor (was hospitalized at 23w) and constant cervical u/s checks.  I was dilated a bit (it changed weekly) and 50% effaced from 23w onward.  With #2 I saw a HB CPM and we decided that despite irritable uterus and contractions we were not going to check my cervix until/unless I wanted her to so as not to stir things up.  I was 5cm and 80% effaced with #2 at 37w and we all assumed I would be having her in the next day (was also contracting intermittently), at 39w I was 6cm but stretching with the slightest touch to 9cm.  DD was born at 40W.  AND I had prodromal labor - contractions daily for a few hours.  You can most DEFINITELY stay pregnant for many weeks where you're at! 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page