Placental encapsulation buddy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-05-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am currently researching placental encapsulation and tincture making. It is something I have never tried, and I don't know anyone who has done it. There in noone here where I live who provides this service, so I will most likely be the one doing it myself. I seriously hope I will get the opportunity to start within the first 24 hours of birth (we plan for a homebirth), otherwise I will freeze it and wait for the right moment.

Anyone else doing it? Wanna share research and experiences?

As I start I am thinking that time is of the essence, so it would be great to get in touch with someone who has done it before!

I am planning on using a part of it to make a tincture with vodka, and the rest of it I will make powder of using a raw recipe (not steaming it first).

Happy mama to DD 04 and 08 April 2011
#2 of 19 Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM

I had been thinking about it but recently I've been leaning toward not doing it. Money's tight and i'm not sure it is the thing for me right now. Have you been in touch with anyone who does it at all? I've got an acquaintance who is certified and would probably be happy to answer questions you have and offer suggestions. If you're interested in her info, send me a PM! 

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#3 of 19 Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 PM

#4 of 19 Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by preggers5 View Post

I am planning to do this. Here's a GREAT link http://www.cafemom.com/group/2212/forums/read/11246109/Placenta_Encapsulation_Instructions_w_pictures 

Thanks so much! I have applied to be a member of the group, and hope I will be able to see the instructions soon!

Here are a few links to instructions /information that I have found:

http://birth-wise.org/international_directory

http://www.mothers35plus.co.uk/plac_rec … ehydrating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=desunG6I … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt01XuuCpuk

#5 of 19 Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoose View Post

I had been thinking about it but recently I've been leaning toward not doing it. Money's tight and i'm not sure it is the thing for me right now. Have you been in touch with anyone who does it at all? I've got an acquaintance who is certified and would probably be happy to answer questions you have and offer suggestions. If you're interested in her info, send me a PM! 

Thanks so much for your kind offer! I am hoping that I won't have to disturb her, but I am so glad that there is an oportunity to be able to ask a specific question, should I encounter a particular challenge. If I am really in trouble, I'll PM you. Thanks again! flowersforyou.gif

#6 of 19 Old 03-06-2011, 07:24 AM

I've had my last two placentas encapsulated (actually, I encapsulate for women around Northern VA, too, just not with PBi). I have two friends at my house the day of the  birth, and I see them through the initial stages a few hours after I've given birth-- the rinsing, steaming, slicing, and getting it into the dehydrator. The next morning I'm usually feeling well enough to amble down, do the actual grinding and encapsulation, pop my first three pills, and get back up to bed with my baby. It is worth it to have it done ASAP after the birth, if you can. The first time I started my pills 24 hours after the birth. I had the easiest postpartum ever (it was my sixth). The second time, I didn't start taking the caps until 48 hours after and I struggled a lot. Because my placentas are small, and I was struggling, I took more, and ran out more quickly. This time I'm learning about making ointments (made my first placenta ghee last weekend!) and tinctures to help the placenta last me longer. It is well worth your money to buy a book called Placenta: The Gift of Life by Cornelia Enning. Awesome resource. Feel free to PM me with any questions. This time I'm planning on being able to consume my first caps within 24 hours, and I'm curious to see if there will be any noticeable difference with my being on a gluten-free diet, also. Best wishes.

havsulen likes this.
#7 of 19 Old 03-06-2011, 03:26 PM

I mentioned this to DH yesterday, and he spoke with the gal who would do it.  He wants to now look up research and make sure it isn't just a 'wacko hippie thing'  We'll see at $165 it may not even be an option.

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#8 of 19 Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfyCozy View Post
It is well worth your money to buy a book called Placenta: The Gift of Life by Cornelia Enning. Awesome resource. 

Thanks so much for your wonderful advice, I will do my best to start it all as quickly as possible.  No friend/doula to help me, but I will make it a priority to start asap after birth.

Thanks also for the book tip. I tried to look it up, but it's unavailable on Amazon. If you or anyone else knows where I can purchase it, I would be grateful for any info!

#9 of 19 Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM

I picked up my copy at the Midwifery Today website.
#10 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 AM

I really want to do this, but i havent researched how to. I would prefer someone else do it for me.

So if you start taking the capsules right away it helps more so with ppd?

I've had prenatal depression during this pregnancy and i feel that i should do everything to keep ppd at bay.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#11 of 19 Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 PM

I had the placenta encapsulated after my last birth.  The midwife came the next day and did it all for me.  I didn't know about using it for PPD, I was told to use it if the baby got sick (i would take it and nurse).  I never used it and still have it in a jar somewhere.  I wasn't planning to do it again, but if it helps with the postpartum time I might do it again.  I'll have to do more research.  

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#12 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

I would like to make this tincture:

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/placentaessence.html

As well as capsules, using the raw method:

http://mamamojo.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/placenta-dehydrationencapsulation-phase-one-complete/

My questions at this moment are:

- how big a piece should I cut of to use for the tincture? I want to use enough for the tincture to be proper, but not more than I have to, so that I will have as much as possible left to make capsules. In the recipe it says that: "I have been told that it doesn't matter how much placenta you use as long as you follow the instructions well and it is completely submerged in the water."

Does anyone know if this is correct? How big a piece would you use?

- how many capsules can I expect? I understand it will vary of course, with the size. But are we talking 50 or a 100 or what? In my local health food store I buy empty capsules, and they come in boxes of 60. Should I get more than one do you think?

- I don't have a dehydrator but I have heard that I can use the oven. At what temperature and for how long do you think it needs to be in to dry properly? Anything else I need to think of because I use the oven instead of a dehydrator?

- What do you use to put the powder in the capsules? A small spoon or something? 

Thanks again!

#13 of 19 Old 03-11-2011, 11:53 AM

I am going to do both the essence and the capsulation. There is TONS of info online....also someone posted some great links above. Everything i've read says you will need 150-200 capsules for the placenta. The more the better!

I cant wait to see how it all goes.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#14 of 19 Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Does anybody know: How low a temperature can the oven be on for dehydration?

I am preparing placenta medicines from my placenta born tuesday, right now. (I've already made a tinture, coctails and small frozen pills ok). Now I am dehydrating it planning to make capsules.

I have rinced it in salt water, frozen it, defrosted it slightly, cut it into thin slices and it is now on baking trays in my oven ( I don't have a dehydrator).

When it comes to temperatures to dry it, I've seen different suggestions in different recipes, including in Cornelia Ennings book "Placenta: the gift of life" which I have read. In one recipe it said  no more than 108 degrees F. Others say much higher  (200 - 250 degrees F)

I tried 108 degrees as I would like it to be treated as gently as possible. But now it's been in the oven for five hours approx. and the slices still seem very wet. In Ennings book it says "on the lowest possible setting".

I am not impatient, I don't mind this taking time. I am just eager not to destroy it in any way. Is it ok that this will take many more hours? Can I just let it be in the oven until it is dry? Do you think it will at this temperature, just given time?

Or do you think I need to turn up the heat?

Thank you SO much for any advice!

#15 of 19 Old 04-28-2011, 01:02 PM

My midwife ran our oven at 220 and it took over 12 hours for the placenta to dry to a "snap."  I'm not sure 108 is high enough to do anything... or at least it will take a very long time.

my kids thought the placenta was brownies in the oven!! lol   

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#16 of 19 Old 05-07-2011, 12:57 PM

I encapsulated mine and made a tincture....have been taking 2-3 pills day and seem to be feeling great. How many are you all taking a day?

#17 of 19 Old 05-07-2011, 01:50 PM

My doula did mine.  Her instructions are 2 capsules 3 times a day for days 1-4 and then you gradually taper off.  But my placenta was large and I have A LOT of capsules so I'm going to keep taking 6 a day for atleast 2 weeks.  I was slightly anemic as well so I know that will help. 

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#18 of 19 Old 05-07-2011, 07:56 PM

I got my placenta capsules yesterday. We weren't able to get the placenta until i left the hospital thanks to hospital rules so it was 48ish hours old when the encapsulator person we hired started on it. I've taken it now yesterday and today. So far i'm feeling pretty good, much more stable than I remember in my previous two PP experiences. I am hopeful that I will not deal with the emotional crap I did before!

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#19 of 19 Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear several of you are feeling good taking your pills, hope this will help for you all!

I have been taking two capsules every day since I finished making them, plus a smoothie every second day (I froze some small pieces for that purpose) now in the beginning. 

I have been feeling great! In fact, I think I have not really rested enough because I have been feeling so good. I started with some fresh bleeding again, so I am taking that as a sign that I have been walking around too much. Not so easy getting enough rest with two older kids to take care of.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page