Braxton Hicks again...help a totally dense mama out! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

I am a total dork about Braxton Hicks.  I just don't get what people are describing BUT I do get these odd muscle contractions and think they may be BH.  

Here is a description of what I have: 

- They usually in the morning or if I'm relaxing in the bath after a long day.  

- They are start spontaneously but I can usually stop them by relaxing 

- They have no pattern and are usually single incidences because I relax to make it go away 

- They seem to start somewhere around my abdomen/uterus and then kind of pull the rest of my body inwards - almost like gently pulling me into the fetal position.  

- They are not painful at all.  I would describe it as tension - almost like a strong shiver or chill but with muscle tension.  

- I feel as though I could almost make the happen if I wanted.  

- If I were to HAVE to ID where the tension is most focused on in my uterus I would say it is actually at the top.  

The reason I would like to know better what these are is because I actually had these during DC's labor and mistook the sensation for the urge to push.  I'd love to know what it is just so I can read a little about it.  They aren't bothersome...just kind of a fascination.  I asked my MW and she didn't seem to know for sure - said it probably was BH but didn't seem to have heard of BH during labor.  

Thanks for your help!!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 3 Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Your description sounds just like my BH, except that I have more at the end of the day, especially if I've worked a long shift on my feet.

Melissa Wife to DHpartners.gif, Mom to DSbouncy.gif (3 y.o.) and DD wave.gif (infant) We are a homebirthing, no circ, select and delay vax, cosleeping, full-term breastfeeding happy family!

#3 of 3 Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That does sound like mild braxton hicks. That it is more in the morning is kind of unusual, and that you seem to be able to control it also seems unusual. But still.

Mistaking it for the urge to push sounds weird though...the urge to push should feel...well...like exactly that. For most women it's most like the urgent need to have a bowel movement.

Braxton hicks would be more akin to what you described as "tension" in the abdomen. For some women that means their belly contorts as the uterine muscle contracts, for some it's very mild almost unnoticable sensation, for others it's remarkably uncomfortable and can disrupt ones life a little.

my .02

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page