What else do I need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My mind is all over the place lately.  Friends have been handing down loads of baby things to me (because my friends are awesome!) and I've gotten out the things I kept from DD's baby days...and I'm trying to figure out what I still need to buy.  Help me get my thoughts straight please?

I have: 

• a cosleeper
  • a bouncy chair
  • a swing
  • a playmat
  • lots and lots of gender neutral baby clothes
  • a ton of cloth diapers, covers, liners, snappis etc.
  • hooded towels & baby washcloths
  • a carrier
  • carseat & snap 'n' go
  • diaper bag
  • 50 million blankets

I'm thinking I need:

• diaper cream
  • thin baby washcloths (to use as cloth wipes)
  • a manual breast pump (I won't pump a lot as we won't use bottles, but I found it handy to have a manual pump on hand when DD was a baby)
  • nursing bras
  • swaddle blankets?
  • lidded trashcan for diaper pail

I really can't think of anything else.  I'm trying to run through things in my head, and if I can feed the baby (check), wash the baby (check), diaper the baby (check), dress the baby (check), transport the baby (check) and put the baby down somewhere (check), I'm pretty much covered.

Am I missing something?  Is there a baby essential I've forgotten?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 03:45 PM

nursing pillow, white noise machine, nursing pads?

Old 03-11-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alireb View Post

nursing pillow, white noise machine, nursing pads?

Oh thank you!  I do have a nursing pillow, as well as a tube of Lansinoh (and obviously forgot I have them - total scatterbrain!), but I think I only have one set of cloth nursing pads.  Definitely need to get some more.  I don't have a white noise machine but I think we made a white noise CD for DD when she was a baby - I'll need to look to see if we still have that.  Or maybe something we could put on my iPod would work.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM

Do you bathe baby in the sink, or do you need a baby bathtub/tub pillow? Special detergent/;vinegar/baking soda/TTO for washing diapers?

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
Old 03-14-2011, 12:00 AM

I bathed my babies in the sink, or else I held them in the bathtub with me. The baby bathtubs that I've seen basically don't get used until the baby can sit at least somewhat on their own, and then it's more a way to save water, since you don't fill them up as much as the big tub. Much more of a "nice if you want one" than a "need."

I washed my diapers in regular (although it was unscented) detergent. No need for extras.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we're holding off on a baby bath for now.  DD went into hysterics when we tried to bathe her when she was a newborn, and we ended up just getting into the regular bathtub with her because it was the only way she was happy.  We're figuring we'll do kitchen sink bathing to start out this time, and just see how it goes.  If the new baby takes to baths, we'll get a bath seat of some kind.  I have unscented detergent and vinegar for the CDs and all the baby clothes, and I'm just going to have to see how it goes with that too.

User Tag List