Avoiding illness before delivery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone thinking about going on "lockdown" until the baby comes? We've been on bedrest so we haven't been out and about as much as we usually are but we still managed to catch a virus and colds while on bedrest. I did go to a homeschool event last Wednesday then to an indoor play place with some friends and DD2 now has a cold. Bleh..I'm really hoping I don't catch it but the chances of that are slim.

I'm seriously thinking about just staying home for the duration. I soooo don't want to get sick again. We already decided not to go to church tomorrow since DD2 is sick but we figured we better avoid germs as much as possible anyway. A friend of mine had the flu at 34+ weeks and had to stay in the hospital for a couple of nights. Ick!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#2 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 05:56 PM

I plan on working until at least April 3.  Unless I deliver before then plus I work in a hospital. eeeeewwwww germs.  and I have 2 kids in school.  double eeeeeewwwwww.  I had a mild cold a few weeks ago- nothing major. Hopefully I don't get anything.  That would really suck to have a cold and be in labor but I'm not really planning on going out of my way to avoid anything. 

With dd2 I got food poisoning at around 36 weeks.  O.M.G.   that was THE WORST!!!!  I thought I might die. either that or puke or poop out the baby!!  awful.  I had to do phenergan suppositories that made me pass out and DH had to bring me in sips of gatoraid once they kicked in otherwise I couldn't keep a thing down.  It lasted about 48 hours.  I refused to go in to the hospital because I was afraid they would find something wrong and keep me.  such a nightmare- wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#3 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yup i like lock down idea. I'm already a germaphobe. my 6 year old had a bug with the squirts, now my 3 year old did today. if I get it i will loose my mind. I am running around with my can of pursue (a disinfectant we sell) and hand sanitizer. normally not this bad but I cant get sick being this close to done

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#4 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

I really don't want to lock ourselves away for the next few weeks but I guess it's better than getting the flu. Our area has been plagued with bugs, the flu, colds etc this season. It's been awful. I was looking forward to hopefully getting sprung from bedrest completely next week and being able to be out and about until baby is born but I think I'll stick close to home.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#5 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM

Huh. I hardly go anywhere or do anything and I am getting over a stomach bug right now. So awful, omg. I say, you can try but don't be surprised if it happens anyway.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#6 of 12 Old 03-13-2011, 08:04 PM

take PROBIOTICS!! If you have enough of the good 'germs' around you won't succumb to the bad ones.

Also, it's imperrative that you have really good microflora for your baby when it's born...the bacteria s/he picks up coming down the birth canal is hers/his first defense against any illness.  The next is breast milk. 

There is tons of medical research on this and it is just barely becoming mainstream.

Especially Nerdymom, if you have a stomach bug go to the health food store and get live culture kefir or kombucha or high quality (no sugar) yogurt or real fermented sourkraut and drink/eat as much as you can.  If you don't like any of that fermented food, buy supplements that contain: acidophilus, L. bacillus, and L ruteri...at minimum (I think the best one is Biokult) and take really high doses of the supplements to help populate your gut and fight the bad guys!

Here are 3 short abstract/articles showing benefit of probiotic use in medical world.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/73/6/1152S.short

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u8163qv0563j3747/

http://journals.lww.com/co-clinicalnutrition/Abstract/2001/11000/The_gastrointestinal_tract_in_critical_illness.15.aspx

There is a lot of hypothetical discussion in the medical community that the hygeine hypothesis (keeping everything clean to stay healthy) is what is causing many infections and diseases...because we are TOO clean, we don't have the good bugs to fight off the bad ones.

Kids growing up on farms have less allergies/asthma/illness than those in suburbia...which kids are in a cleaner environment?!  Same with households that own pets as opposed to those that don't.

I am passionate about this good flora thing for infant health as I am about breastfeeding for infant health, because they go hand in hand for the baby's immune function.  oh...and just one bottle of any formula changes the infant's gut flora (which is very special and protective) to an adult gut flora (not protective) from then on.  (scroll down to 'Acquisition of gut flora in human infants' in this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_flora )

Let me know if you would like links to support that, there are plenty...it's fascinating!

(oh yes, and to fight colds and such, Zinc, Mg, Vit c in high doses can only help your immune system fight it - the baby needs those nutrients so depletes you of them)

Hope you feel better soon

(I and my family just got over cough/colds, too)

nerdymom likes this.

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11
#7 of 12 Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

Lockdown seems extreme.  Get sleep, and wash hands a lot.  Hope for the best.

#8 of 12 Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 PM

Lockdown wouldn't do us any good here.  DH was the one that was sick.  Came on very suddenly yesterday afternoon and by 9 I called for a paramedic.  He ended up in the ER and we got home at 4am.  So whatever it was that hit him I was already exposed to.  I have another week of work and DH will go back to work in a couple of days when he is ready so we can't avoid all of the germs.  I'm taking my supplements (and then some), so far I feel ok.I just have to hope I won't catch it. We so rarely get sick and this hit so hard, boy was it ugly. 

asd

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#9 of 12 Old 03-14-2011, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

krizzanne I have read it and totally agree, which is why normally I'm not a mess at home. however i wont touch things when I go out if I can help it. my ocd takes over in those situations. in fact I have been stuck in a bathroom because I had nothing to open the door with.lol

i don't typically use disinfectants either, but this stomach bug was NASTY! I did however start everyone on pro-biotic which seemed to to help because the last 2 to get it were sick for less than 12 hours. its funny we all got a bug a few months ago I was sick for 48+ hours, all the kids less than 6 hours each. yay for extended breastfeeding benefits.

if i get a bug now I'm screwed ughhh. i cant imagine what it will do to my blood sugar. coincidentally the two times I have been sick this winter were after a large birthday party at one of those indoor crazy playhouses. aka germ farms

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#10 of 12 Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 AM

Can anyone recommend a specific probiotic? I need to order some because I have taken antibiotics. Yuck.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#11 of 12 Old 03-14-2011, 04:41 PM

I do believe that this: http://www.gapsdiet.com/Bio-Kult_Probiotic.html is the 'best of the best' but may be unnecessary for you.

Here ( http://articles.cnn.com/2009-03-10/health/healthmag.probiotics.stomach_1_boulardii-probiotic-saccharomyces/2?_s=PM:HEALTH) is a mainstream article, very informative, which on page 2 talks about which strains to look for with antibiotic use: ''Fortunately, three specific probiotic strains (S. cerevisiae boulardii, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, and Bacillus coagulans GBI-30) can reduce infection risk while you're taking antibiotics and shortly after. That's the vulnerable period''

It goes on to talk a little about depending on what type of infection you have, which probiotic is more helpful.

I am not sure about brands...sorry, maybe contact a local health store. 

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11
#12 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the reminder. We do like our cultured dairy products over here so I think I'm set up on the probiotics front. I was just getting into traditional fermentation at home when I got pg and morning sickness...no so pickles or saurkraut for now. The very thought makes my stomach churn even now! I try to make up for it with raw vinegar which I really love, and kefir and yogurt.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page