Are you still nursing your older nursling as you reach full term? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-12-2011, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Posted this in "I'm Pregnant" too.  Still nursing my almost 3yo, but noticing that his nursing brings on contractions.  I *am* full term (37 weeks as of last Friday--due April 1), so i shouldn't be *too* concerned, but since my others came close to 40 weeks, thinking that his nursing could trigger "early" labor has me pondering... whether or not I should be more judicious and not just nurse "all the time".  We have a good nursing relationship and he has good nursing manners.  Also, since my milk supply for him as an infant sometimes was on the leaner side, I am looking forward to him helping to boost my supply after the baby is born.

Your thoughts?

#2 of 20 Old 03-12-2011, 09:51 PM

I'm still nursing our 32mo but I'm actually getting less contractions over all than I did when I was pregnant with dd. I do have more contractions while nursing though.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#3 of 20 Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm... you know it's only been the last week or two that nursing ds (5/08) has caused the more pronounced contractions.  I see that you are due at the very end of April... I wonder if the contractions will increase as you get closer to the due date... one thing I know, it seems like as many different people there are, there are just as many different pregnancies and births!

#4 of 20 Old 03-13-2011, 11:15 AM

My daughter was still nursing quite often until about 10 days ago. I had wondered whether she would wean because I was away for 11 days, but she continued as if we had not been apart at all. Then quite suddenly she seems to have lost interest - she has only made two short, half-hearted attempts at nursing in the past 10 days. She's 32 months. Even though I have not enjoyed nursing her for a long time, it still feels like an abrupt end.

#5 of 20 Old 03-13-2011, 12:23 PM

My almost 3 yo is still nursing too.  Only once a day, though, and I haven't really noticed that it's bringing on any more contractions than I'm already having (which is quite a lot).  I'm 35 weeks now.  

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#6 of 20 Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 PM

I'm 37 weeks and my 28 month old is still nursing. She's really cut back A LOT though. Only nursing 2-3 times per day (both sides each time). I haven't noticed any contractions while nursing.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#7 of 20 Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM

36 wks here and my 2 1/2 yo is still nursing several times a day. It does bring on some super duper BH. But i also nursed my 3rd baby through my last pregnancy and i didnt go into labor any earlier. Went to my due date plus a few days. It does help get your uterus in gear though.

OliveJewel likes this.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#8 of 20 Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 PM

I'm nursing my 2 year old, and his nursing causes seriously strong contractions sometimes.  I had written in a post awhile ago how I got him to stop nursing and just cuddle milk, yeah that lasted for 2 days and he seems to be nursing much more than before now (I also noticed that his 2 year old molars are coming out, which could have something to do with it).  I nursed through my 2nd pregnancy as well, although that was a bit more challenging because I had an awful nursing aversion that developed during the pregnancy and never went away until my son eventually weaned a year and half after the birth of baby boy #2.  Anyway, although I was nursing at least 3x a day with my second pregnancy, I went to 41 weeks.  As long as you're staying well hydrated I wouldn't worry about it.

OliveJewel likes this.
#9 of 20 Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 PM

I'm still nursing my 22 month old DD at just over 35 weeks now.  I do have strong BH contractions when she nurses, but lately she only nurses once in the morning, before nap, and sometimes before bed.  I'm aware of the contractions when she nurses, but it's not enough to alarm me at all.

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#10 of 20 Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM

I'm around 33 weeks, and dd is almost 15 months.  She's nursing tons.  I don't know that I'm having more contractions during nursing than otherwise, though.

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#11 of 20 Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM

DD is still nursing a little, but barely.  I think maybe she's weaning.  She's 3.5, but was nursing about 8 times a day when I got pregnant.  Now she doesn't even nurse every day.  I still have milk, but it hurts so bad and I think she doesn't really enjoy it when I'm screaming.  redface.gif  I offered last night when she was going to sleep and she refused.  Anyway, I'm 35 weeks and nursing doesn't seem to affect my contractions at this point.  I have BH contractions ALL THE TIME and they're driving me absolutely crazy, but nursing doesn't seem to make a difference.

#12 of 20 Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 PM

Still nursing my 17 mo and 3 y.o,  though I have to tell DS only when Bella goes to sleep in bed for her nap may he nurse, and that seems to be about once a week these days. 

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#13 of 20 Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM

It's amazing that you've been able to tandem nurse during pregnancy! My older son weaned right before I became pregnant, and I was so happy not to tandem nurse while pregnant.  I'm seriously impressed lol

#14 of 20 Old 03-19-2011, 01:33 PM

I'm about to crawl out of my skin....my 2 yo is super fussy and clingy and is not happy with anything but nursing....i can barely sit for longer than 10 min or so before i have to stand up and change positions because i'm so uncomfortable. I just want to scream and run away....i'm not sure what else to do. My nipples hurt so bad from all the nursing over the past few days, im thinking maybe he knows the baby is coming and is trying to be as close as possible....but again...it could be the full moon. I dont know....poor little guy...i want to be there for him...but i can not handle all the nursing.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#15 of 20 Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 AM

I am nursing my 11 month old still, but only 2x in the morning and then occasionaly thru the day. But she was sensitive to dairy and i needed to up my food intake so i added cheese back in and have been just nursing her in the AM and its working nicely, she loves her morning nursies :) 4 more weeks and she can have MILK again ...yayayaya!!

Wifey to Z and SAHM to C (12/03) T (7/08) M (4/10) and her irish twin C (4/11)

#16 of 20 Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 PM

me too... Im 38 +5 days and still nursing my 17 m old about 3ish times a day. It hurts so bad and its so uncomfortable with him leaning/sitting on my stomach.. and yeah more recently has started giving me contractions. I wouldn't worry about it though.  My contractions always stop after the nursing stops.. looking forward to nursing pain free and having abundant milk again!

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#17 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Anyone else notice that they've been making colostrum? I almost completely dried up for awhile, and my son had these firmer poops that would roll right off his diapers which was fantastic.  But I've been making colostrum for about 2 weeks, I can tell when he finishes nursing because he has a dribbly chin now and sometimes the bed gets wet.  His poop is back to smushy, and I have to rinse them off again which is annoying... I had grown to like the easy to clean ones lol.  Just wondering if anybody else has noticed a change in their supply.

#18 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 AM

My supply has been gone for a month or two now, but about that same time she started getting the orangey more liquidy poo's...i hate it! LOL i put a sposie on in the AM since i know she will poop then after she nurses. but she still poops a few times sometimes during the day! I never feel letdown anymore which i have ALWAYS felt the tingle...i am praying she keeps nursing the next few weeks!!! Almost time :D

#19 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmy2Joshs View Post

Anyone else notice that they've been making colostrum? I almost completely dried up for awhile, and my son had these firmer poops that would roll right off his diapers which was fantastic.  But I've been making colostrum for about 2 weeks, I can tell when he finishes nursing because he has a dribbly chin now and sometimes the bed gets wet.  His poop is back to smushy, and I have to rinse them off again which is annoying... I had grown to like the easy to clean ones lol.  Just wondering if anybody else has noticed a change in their supply.

I've had colostrum since around the beginning of January.  I was hoping it would prompt ds (31months) to wean, but no luck.  He could care less.  He nurses once a day, because I can't stand any more than that.  I think he'd nurse a little more often if I could take the pain and the skin crawling it induces.  

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#20 of 20 Old 03-31-2011, 01:45 PM

So i was thinking i had colustrum, well last night i was leaking it out both sides :) Made me excited! So soon and i will have milkies again for my 1yo :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page