Who is skipping Group B Strep testing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 AM
 
dayiscoming2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaRN View Post

 

Again, I just urge you to question what the disadvantages of testing would be? There dont seem to be many (if any) and it's one of those things that to me will never be worth the risk.

 


I'm UPing (unassisted pregnancy) because I can't handle the treatment that one of my midwives in the midwife hospital group was giving me. She was extremely rude to me and doing things I didn't want before I had a chance to say anything. Never letting me know in advance. I had only started going there at 24 weeks and didn't decide I really disliked it until 30 weeks. I was hearing bad things about the OB's available to me as well and I'm just not interested in dealing with it. I've already had two awful hospital births with crappy OB's. I completely UP'd except for one ultrasound with my last pregnancy as well. 

If a person is like me and hates prenatal care, then the GBS test is a bit impossible unless there is a private lab available. I'll watch my baby for any signs of struggle and go in if I think they need help. 

 

One thing that annoys me, is seriously, what do you think people did before all this prenatal care stuff? I find myself having a much more relaxing pregnancy (which I think is good for baby) when I just do things myself. 


Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

 homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

 

dayiscoming2006 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 AM
 
EricaRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dayiscoming2006- I just noticed you're from Montana. What part? My aunt is a birth center MW in Great Falls. Just curious if you've ever heard of her? :-) It's cool to see someone from MT!! I'd love to live there one day. My whole family that lives out there loves it and I imagine it's so peaceful to be in such a laid-back place all the time. How do you like it out there?


Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
EricaRN is offline  
Old 03-18-2011, 06:52 PM
 
dayiscoming2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We moved to Montana a couple years ago. I'm near Billings. It's pretty here for sure. We're honestly trying to move southeast at this time because we have good friends that way. If we had some good friends here, I wouldn't mind staying. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaRN View Post

Dayiscoming2006- I just noticed you're from Montana. What part? My aunt is a birth center MW in Great Falls. Just curious if you've ever heard of her? :-) It's cool to see someone from MT!! I'd love to live there one day. My whole family that lives out there loves it and I imagine it's so peaceful to be in such a laid-back place all the time. How do you like it out there?



 


Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

 homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

 

dayiscoming2006 is offline  
Old 03-19-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
Mamato3wild ponnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: hopefully close to bliss
Posts: 2,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My midwife at the birthing center has informed me that since i have declined the GBS testing....that if my water breaks they will only give me 18 hrs to deliver...or be in active labor. ....before they would send me tot he hospital. Now....if i did do the GBS test.....they would give me 24 hrs to go deliver or be in active labor. My last baby was born in the caul and the water never broke...so i'm praying that my water doesnt break with this baby. But to me 6 hours isnt that much of a difference to risk taking antibiotics and all the issues that come with them.

 

 


Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Mamato3wild ponnie is offline  
Old 03-19-2011, 04:55 PM
 
nadia105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

I was just trying to find if the erythromycin was only gc/chly related or if there there was anything else potentially that it was for- i never worried about it since I am neg for all stds.  but since i am gbs + now I was wondering if that bacteria (although i know its not an std related bacteria) was an issue that possible would warrant reconsidering the erythromycin.   I can't really find anything to support it so probably will not get the erythromycin as originally planned. 

 



Nadia- were you negative with the first 2 and the positive with #3?? 

 

I really am still researching the hibicleanse.  you can search for it.  its chlorhexidine and is a topical solution you can use that is supposed to kill the bacteria.  i think some midwives recommend it in a certain concentration as a rinse or douche in labor. 

 



Yep, it was not a very nice surprise.  I will find out on Monday what my status is with this one, hoping for another negative!

 


 


 

 


Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
nadia105 is offline  
Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM
 
mrsberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

I was just trying to find if the erythromycin was only gc/chly related or if there there was anything else potentially that it was for- i never worried about it since I am neg for all stds.  but since i am gbs + now I was wondering if that bacteria (although i know its not an std related bacteria) was an issue that possible would warrant reconsidering the erythromycin.   I can't really find anything to support it so probably will not get the erythromycin as originally planned. 

 



Nadia- were you negative with the first 2 and the positive with #3?? 

 

I really am still researching the hibicleanse.  you can search for it.  its chlorhexidine and is a topical solution you can use that is supposed to kill the bacteria.  i think some midwives recommend it in a certain concentration as a rinse or douche in labor. 

 



My MW mentioned it helping if there is a potential E. coli infection from feces, but I'm not worried about that. From my understanding, it's not commonly used for that anyways.

 

As for Hibicleans, from what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, you're supposed to use it every 6 hours while in labor to kill the bacteria. You shouldn't use it to get a negative test, then not use it in labor.  I don't remember the exact ratio to dilute, but it's simple to find by searching.

 

 


married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

mrsberman is offline  
Old 03-21-2011, 01:02 AM
 
Bird Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

"One thing that annoys me, is seriously, what do you think people did before all this prenatal care stuff?"

 

Um, they had babies that got sick and sometimes died, is what. Or, in the case of pre-ecclampsia, they got sick and died. Why do you think midwives have journals and go to conferences and do continuing education? Fun? No--they want to make birth as safe as it can be.

 

I wouldn't use the Hibicleans, personally. It's not recommended for mucus membranes by the manufacturer, so douching with it is definitely off-label. And there's no study or other evidence that suggests that it will prevent the transmission of strep. The whole recommendation reminds me of the use of nonoxynol 9 on condoms and in lubricants based on the finding that the stuff killed the AIDS virus in test tubes. When they finally got around to testing it on women, they found that it INCREASED the likelihood of transmission, because the chemical chewed up women's mucus membranes and interfered with natural lubrication and gave the virus more ports of entry.

Bird Girl is offline  
Old 03-21-2011, 04:19 AM
 
mrsberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaRN View Post

 

Also wanted to add a bit about my past for those who are skipping the testing altogether. I was GBS- with my daughter (3) and GBS+ with my son (23 months). With my son they found bacteria in my urine at my first prenatal checkup at 8 weeks so it was definitely systemic even that early on. They retested me at 32 weeks and my colonization count was through the roof. I had no real symptoms up until about 33 weeks when I noticed an increase in mucousy discharge which I attributed to losing bits of my mucous plug. Turns out the GBS infection was running so rampant in my body that it was doing some serious damage. My water broke at 35 weeks due to the GBS infection and even though I had 3 doses of abx during the 13 hours of labor (before my csection- booo!) my son still developed an infection. He had a spinal tap at 12 hours old, spent a week in the nicu and had some pretty touch and go times while there. I say all this because the results can be so life threatening of a baby who "catches" GBS and who isn't treated immediately. Menengitis being the most serious. My midwife's son developed menengitis from her GBS + status. It's just too serious of a thing to mess with. The GBS test is so simple and uninvasive that there's really no reason NOT to. Especially if you're considering a home birth it's something that you should be armed with going in. If you're GBS+ and have a homebirth, you're going to pay alot more attention to anything that might be "off" with the baby for a bit. we're having a home birth this time and there's no way I would do it without knowing my status. I'm testing tomorrow and will still have a homebirth even if I'm +, but will definitely be looking out for certain symptoms and be more cautious than I would if I knew I were negative. It's just too big of a risk to take. Anyway, I'm sure many won't agree or will think "yea but the % of babies who actually contract it..." etc., but it's one of those things that until it's YOUR baby, the numbers are just numbers and you're ok with taking the risks. Again, I just urge you to question what the disadvantages of testing would be? There dont seem to be many (if any) and it's one of those things that to me will never be worth the risk.

 

Good luck to all of us in our final weeks of being pregnant! 37 weeks Monday here and SUPPPPER excited to meet this baby!!



Just wanted to say, this has made me rethink my original plan. I've had a ton of mucous discharge that could be mucous plug (I've also had cramps and back pain), but I would rather know for sure that negative or positive. If I'm positive I'd like to start probiotics and test again in 2 weeks. If I'm negative, I'll still do a rinse before leaving for the hospital. I was positive with DD, so I know I have the bacteria present in my system.


married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

mrsberman is offline  
Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
 
EricaRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post





Just wanted to say, this has made me rethink my original plan. I've had a ton of mucous discharge that could be mucous plug (I've also had cramps and back pain), but I would rather know for sure that negative or positive. If I'm positive I'd like to start probiotics and test again in 2 weeks. If I'm negative, I'll still do a rinse before leaving for the hospital. I was positive with DD, so I know I have the bacteria present in my system.



I'm glad to hear my experience has helped someone. Hopefully it's just your mucous plug and NOT gbs, but to me it's just better to know. You don't have to do anything with that information, but you just never know how you're going to feel about things until they happen. Good luck with your test- I REALLLLLY hope you're negative! And if you're not try not to stress because it can be treated (like you said, probiotics, garlic, and/or antibiotics). It sucked having to go through it with my son but hopefully I've helped someone else with that story. Let us know how it goes! I did my GBS test today and will hopefully hear back soon. I've had NO mucous whatsoever this entire pregnancy as compared to last pregnancy when there was a TON so I'm feeling pretty good. If your GBS test comes back negative and you're still concerned you might look into bacterial vaginosis, which could also be causing the extra mucous. Crossing my fingers for you for a negative GBS test!!

 


Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
EricaRN is offline  
Old 03-22-2011, 05:53 AM
 
mrsberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaRN View Post





I'm glad to hear my experience has helped someone. Hopefully it's just your mucous plug and NOT gbs, but to me it's just better to know. You don't have to do anything with that information, but you just never know how you're going to feel about things until they happen. Good luck with your test- I REALLLLLY hope you're negative! And if you're not try not to stress because it can be treated (like you said, probiotics, garlic, and/or antibiotics). It sucked having to go through it with my son but hopefully I've helped someone else with that story. Let us know how it goes! I did my GBS test today and will hopefully hear back soon. I've had NO mucous whatsoever this entire pregnancy as compared to last pregnancy when there was a TON so I'm feeling pretty good. If your GBS test comes back negative and you're still concerned you might look into bacterial vaginosis, which could also be causing the extra mucous. Crossing my fingers for you for a negative GBS test!!

 


Ugh, bv would suck! I haven't had that for years, but this doesn't mimic my usual symptoms. I had my test yesterday and I go back for a check up next week. Hopefully it's just mucous plug, but I'm only 36 weeks. I've had tons of BH, menstrual cramps and lower back cramping/pain so who knows. I didn't get any of this with DD.

 


married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

mrsberman is offline  
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM
 
donutmolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Crunchyville
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So interesting to read all the responses.  GBS testing is the one that I always do -- in my mind, it is purely "defensive medicine", so that in the event of a transfer I can prove negative status or that we have followed accepted protocol.  My decision is totally based on my subjective personal experience rather than data, etc. 

 

When my brother was born (in the early 90's), my mom was GBS+, but the protocol then did not call for routine treatment with antibiotics during labor.  Healthy, full-term baby born with no apparent risk-factors, a couple of days later, he "missed a feeding", and my mom called his Dr. to be cautious (based on discharge instructions)... and boom, my brother was admitted to the regional hospital.  My mom had to fight all sorts of battles to be able to stay with him, keep breastfeeding, etc.  They almost did a spinal tap and did plenty of other invasive testing while he was hospitalized.  The culture takes 3 days to come back (positive or negative) -- so until then, he wasn't going anywhere.  In the end... he was totally fine, never had GBS, all that stress and treatment was done to prevent... nothing.  The Dr. had recently lost an already sick preemie to GBS and was overly sensitive to the possibility of losing another patient.  Having witnessed this as a young teen, I just don't want to go through this with my baby.  Thankfully, I've never been GBS+, so I've never had to make the decision about antibiotics.

 

I'm interested in the taking baby's temp thing... I've always been given instructions to take baby and my temp. after birth every 4 hours, for the first 48 hours (I think...) so I'm surprised to see that this is not "standard practice" with even other HB MWs.

 

My MW has done some updating of her GBS protocol since I last had a baby with her (only 19 months ago) and will now offer a hibiclens rinse to mamas who are likely to give birth before 4 hours have passed, since the antibiotics would not be effective on such a short time scale. 


Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

donutmolly is offline  
Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
 
alireb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another one who just found out I'm GBS+ after being negative with my son.  So bummed since I have to have antibiotics in labor (birthing at a freestanding center) and I'm allergic to penicillin which is the main antibiotic they use.  They also do extra temps after the birth. 

 

I was taking probiotics before the test and have since stopped but will up my use of them again.  I'm so terrified of getting thrush after the birth :(

alireb is offline  
Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM
 
mrsberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alireb View Post

Another one who just found out I'm GBS+ after being negative with my son.  So bummed since I have to have antibiotics in labor (birthing at a freestanding center) and I'm allergic to penicillin which is the main antibiotic they use.  They also do extra temps after the birth. 

 

I was taking probiotics before the test and have since stopped but will up my use of them again.  I'm so terrified of getting thrush after the birth :(




Is it possible to continue taking probiotics and test again?  I'm not allergic to antibiotics, but I almost always get a yeast infection after using them. I'm still not sure how I didn't get one after DD. I had at least 6 doses during her birth.


married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

mrsberman is offline  
Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM
 
alireb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post


 




Is it possible to continue taking probiotics and test again?  I'm not allergic to antibiotics, but I almost always get a yeast infection after using them. I'm still not sure how I didn't get one after DD. I had at least 6 doses during her birth.




I don't think it's worth it to retest at this point.  I actually am not that prone to yeast but I am going to take probiotics and use garlic pills to at least decrease colonization of the bacteria because I worry about the risk to the baby, especially since I can't have the penicillin. 

alireb is offline  
Old 03-25-2011, 06:04 AM
 
ILoveMyBabyBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

well i got my results and i was negative this time, I was positive with ds. I did use the hibiclens, but only 2 times prior to testing, I read online you are suppose to wash every 6 hours for a week with it, well i wasn't going to spend that much time washing myself and i was a little leary of using the product that much, I just used it in a diluted form in the shower on a washcloth like regular soap or bodywash the day before the test and the day of the test, no way would i douche with it as some pp mentioned. I won't be using it again until i go into labor and then i will do the same thing, wash with it once or twice in the shower. I am going to continue with the garlic and priobiotics pills though to be safe. I am pretty sure the rainbow light prenatals i have been taking this whole pregnancy have probiotics, but i will be taking extra because i don't always get my yogurt in. Honestly i am not too worried about GBS, it is relatively new testing and actually transmitting it is pretty rare from what i've read and that the antibiotics given is not a very effective method of treating it during labor. I am honestly glad i don't have to be hooked up to the machines extra and having all those unnecessary antibiotics during labor.


supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
ILoveMyBabyBird is offline  
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 AM
 
kittn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In a perpetual letdown
Posts: 1,367
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

check with your MW/DR because apparently a lot of labs have gotten smart and started testing the GBS strains to see which antibiotic is best. they don't routinely use penicillin anymore. I asked my MW because I am also allergic to penicillin. maybe that will at least give you some comfort?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alireb View Post


 




I don't think it's worth it to retest at this point.  I actually am not that prone to yeast but I am going to take probiotics and use garlic pills to at least decrease colonization of the bacteria because I worry about the risk to the baby, especially since I can't have the penicillin. 



 


Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
kittn is offline  
Old 03-26-2011, 06:16 PM
 
Neuromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post

check with your MW/DR because apparently a lot of labs have gotten smart and started testing the GBS strains to see which antibiotic is best. they don't routinely use penicillin anymore. I asked my MW because I am also allergic to penicillin. maybe that will at least give you some comfort?
 



 


Yes!  My midwife does this for anyone who tests positive.

 


First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Neuromancer is online now  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
Mamato3wild ponnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: hopefully close to bliss
Posts: 2,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I skipped it and agreed to take babies vitals every 4 hrs for the first 24 hours to satisfy the MW's. I am not willing to take any antibiotics unless really needed and i still am not sold on GBS and the need for them in labor. I get yeast so easily that i refuse to even go there...esp. postpartum....yuck...no thanks.


Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Mamato3wild ponnie is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off