Vit K injection or Oral....are you doing it - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know i started a thread on GBS and it's about 50/50.....but i am now ownderinf about Vit K injections and oral. I did not do it with my last baby and all was fine. This baby though is w a different midwife and she is pushing it. However i can decline. I have done some research on supplementing my diet post birth for 10 weeks. What are you doing?

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#2 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i researched it last time and went for it. i tend to have babies that come really fast and all four have had some sort of bruising or broken blood vessels on their eyes and faces from firing out of the birth canal like a cannon ballyikes.gif i was very glad I went ahead and did it last time since my darling Nate's collar bone snapped as he rocketed out

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#3 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM

i choose to do vit. k injection.  i'm sure all would be fine w/o it but I feel like the need for it could be there so I do it.  I kind of weigh things out- if i DON"T do this and this happens how will I feel about it.  Don't do any early vaccines, don't do eye ointment but the vit k i feel better about doing.  guess its just where my personal line is. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#4 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 PM

I'll be taking a vitamin K supplement starting any day now, but my baby will not be getting an injection or oral. I read that it can overload their system if they get it through injection or oral but if it comes from you they get the right amount. If it were me, I'd decline it and if you want you can explain what you will be doing as an alternative.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 07:42 PM

We're declining (the injection) it unless the birth results in bruising.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 PM

So what is the Vit K for? It sounds like if I choose to do so that I would rather take it myself than have baby have to deal with it. Plus I'd rather do that and not worry about baby getting too much or little of something they need.

A little OT...eye ointment...what is that for? Isnt it for something like an STD or something..?? pardon my naivety :) 

#7 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Vit. K helps with clotting. Baby's don't have much of a supply until the 8th day after the birth I think? 

I agree with your thought process on it. :)

Eye ointment is in case of an STD, but I've also heard it can cause some bad side effects occasionally and of course it makes baby rather blind temporarily after the birth. If it were me, I'd decline it unless you suspect you could possibly have an STD.  The specific STD's that they are concerned about are gonorrhea or chlamydia. 

http://childbirth.amuchbetterway.com/newborn-baby-eye-drops-explained/

One thing I'd disagree on with the last comment personally, is my hubby absolutely wouldn't cheat on me or I on him. It just wouldn't happen. I know him well and trust him and besides that, he'd never have time for anything like that. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferadurham View Post

So what is the Vit K for? It sounds like if I choose to do so that I would rather take it myself than have baby have to deal with it. Plus I'd rather do that and not worry about baby getting too much or little of something they need.

A little OT...eye ointment...what is that for? Isnt it for something like an STD or something..?? pardon my naivety :) 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#8 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 PM

Thats what I was thinking about the eye ointment. I dont have to worry about STD's, so I will be declining the goo. But I think I may start the Vit K supp. Thanks ladies!!!!!!!!!

#9 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 08:27 PM

Another good thing about taking a vit. K supplement (or eating Vit. K rich foods) is that it's supposed to help with your clotting too, so less chance of a hemorrhage.

#10 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 PM

I have declined the vit K in the past and will do so againt his time.  I will be supplementing with alfalfa starting in a couple weeks though.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#11 of 23 Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM

Not planning on on Vitamin K here although my MW will have it on hand in the event of a traumatic birth (lots of bruising, etc...)

I have already started taking alfalfa capsules and will continue through PP period.  I also make daily infusions with RRL, nettle, and alfalfa.  I bled pretty heavily last time even with all the supplementation, but hopefully it will help this time around!

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#12 of 23 Old 03-15-2011, 06:47 AM

My midwife asked me a few weeks ago if I'd be having the Vit K injection again. I'm pretty sure she meant for me, though, as I do remember having a shot in my thigh once and an IV last time. I tend to be slightly anemic even when not pregnant so I never really thought twice about it. As far as I remember, I'm not sure they've ever given Vit K to my kiddos... I'll have to ask, maybe I was just out of it or something.

I was going to ask here about the eye stuff, but since that's been answered, thank you! I didn't remember it was for STDs, and since this is my fourth pregnancy with the same midwives group, I've basically been copy and pasting my previous birth plans. I only thought of it after reading a comment on the vaccinations board about the eye goo being silver nitrate(?) that made me start wondering.

Meg
SAH, homeschooling mum to G (05/06), R (03/08), DK (04/09) + S (04/11)!!
Expecting #5, K, mid-November 2014! Team Green!
#13 of 23 Old 03-15-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

What are you taking to supplement for Vit K? Actual vit K supplements and if so where are you getting them....names...doages...etc...

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#14 of 23 Old 03-15-2011, 04:25 PM

My midwife suggests supplementing with 3g of alfalfa per day starting at 36 weeeks and continuing for the first 6 months of BF.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#15 of 23 Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I did oral K with DS because he was bruised from being on my perineum for 2-3 hours and his cord ripped as he came out. We will be making the decision after the birth with this baby depending on the situation, but will definitely do oral if we think giving it is necessary. I am focusing on other herbs at the end of pg (RRL and Nettles), but will be taking alfalfa for my milk supply postpartum.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#16 of 23 Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 PM

My midwife offered the choice of oral or injection and gave me some articles to read.  We chose injection.

She said she wouldn't need the eye goo because my OB tested me for STDs before I transferred to her care, and I was negative.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#17 of 23 Old 03-17-2011, 06:57 AM

I'm still undecided on this one, but I'm leaning towards no. I thought that Vitamin K doesn't pass through breast milk (or enough of it right away) and that's why they want to give the injection...I can't remember where I read this though, I think in the vaccines forum even though it's not a vaccine. Does anyone have links/studies saying that it does so I can have it on hand?

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#18 of 23 Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 AM

We are undecided still.  We were leaning towards it, and asked to se the list of ingrediants.  THE MW said it was in an alcohol base, well she hands one over and no, it is in aluminum.  Absolutely not doing that.  The MWs student was going to look into an aluminum free one.  I think I will look into the oral one too.  The MW does not supply that one, I have to get it from a compounding pharmacy, about an hour away.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#19 of 23 Old 03-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Couple of links to check out... Please read through them as this is an important decision. Just like when you decide whether or not to vaccinate, It is very important to look at all the information and figure out what makes sense to you. 

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/vitktop.html

http://legaljustice4john.com/jaundiceVitKshotNewborns.htm

Quote:

BREASTFEEDING - WHY IS IT A RISK?

Several authors have noted the higher incidence of HDN in solely breastfed babies. 9, 30  The incidence has been quoted as 1 in 1200. 30  Studies comparing breastmilk with formula and cow's milk have shown that breastmilk is lower in vitamin K. 22, 28, 32  Breastmilk substitutes are heavily supplemented with vitamin K, however, it is possible that, like iron, vitamin K is biologically more available to the baby from breastmilk, and so such high levels are not necessary.  

Measured levels of vitamin K in breastmilk seemed to vary depending on the type of measurement used; however, they all come out lower than cow's milk.  Fournier22 and Greer28found levels of around 8-9mg/l, which would mean that if a baby was taking in about 500ml per day, it would be getting the recommended 3-5mg daily.

Vitamin K content and availability are greater in the hind milk because of its higher fat content and vitamin K levels are also higher in colostrum.32  As an extra plus, breastmilk contains thromboplastin, one of the factors in blood clotting.18  

Vitamin K levels in the breastmilk rise markedly in response to the mother eating vitamin K rich foods or taking vitamin K supplements.29, 54  Nishiguchi found no cases of low vitamin K levels in breastfed infants whose mothers had been given supplements, as opposed to infants who had only been given 1 or 2 doses of oral vitamin K.54

Unrestricted access to the breast in the early days after birth is important, due to the higher levels of vitamin K in colostrum.  The importance of early feeding has been recognised since the 1940's.  Babies who have been fed within their first 24 hours have significantly better coagulation times than babies not fed until after 24 hours.24  

It is essential that, to receive the full complement of vitamin K in breastmilk, the baby completely finishes one breast before being offered the other.  Any practice that involves restricting either the baby's time at the breast or the number of feeds will not allow the baby to receive optimum amounts of vitamin K and will also prolong the time it takes for the baby's intestine to be colonised by friendly, vitamin K manufacturing bacteria.

More on it at the link http://www.vaclib.org/basic/vitamin-k.htm

#20 of 23 Old 03-18-2011, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

thanks for the links. i will read through them carefully and see if I change my mind

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#21 of 23 Old 03-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the links. I just have to read them now.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#22 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM

It turns out the injectable my MW carries contains aluminum.  I do want to have something on hand and I found a local compounding pharmacy that carries an oral dose that is a plant based K1 in olive oil.  I am fairly certain I will go with that.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#23 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)

We'll probably do the "wait and see how birth goes" thing.  I've got alfalfa to take...I should start that now.  I'm feel like I'd go with injection from what I remember reading about digestive issues.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page