Halfway Through March Chat Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppiegirl View Post

I went to the Dr today for my 38 week appt. My Dr. said that baby feels like she is 8 to 8.5 lbs already. She checked my cervix (OUCH! now I understand why lots of ladies decline to have that done), it is effaced and soft, but dilated only about 1/2 cm. Baby is in the right position, but head is not yet engaged. Dr. thinks I could go for another week or two before going into labor. Also, she predicts that this will be a 9 to 9.5 lb baby. This sounds soooo big to me. The Dr. said that she has delivered bigger babies vaginally in smaller women than myself, so not to worry and to be patient.

I'm worrying though and feel my bravery wavering... I can do this, right? I can't imagine being pregnant much longer. I'm physically very uncomfortable.

Will having sex speed up the dilation and get labor started? Husband is more than willing to assist. I feel like a large manatee right now and not very sexy.

You can definitely do this!  Your body will grow a baby that it can deliver, really.  Also know that even experienced drs and mws can be off in their weight estimates, either by palpitation or by u/s (I would trust a guess based on fell moire than an u/s, but still).

Sex can help get everything started or more ready, it's the prostaglandins that do it.  It won't bring on labor if your babe isn't ready, but it can help expedite the process.  I went into labor a few hours after dtd when my second was a few days late, fwiw.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Big babies seem to = babies that sleep well and are content, at least in our case and that of some friends. I love big babies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppiegirl View Post

I went to the Dr today for my 38 week appt. My Dr. said that baby feels like she is 8 to 8.5 lbs already. She checked my cervix (OUCH! now I understand why lots of ladies decline to have that done), it is effaced and soft, but dilated only about 1/2 cm. Baby is in the right position, but head is not yet engaged. Dr. thinks I could go for another week or two before going into labor. Also, she predicts that this will be a 9 to 9.5 lb baby. This sounds soooo big to me. The Dr. said that she has delivered bigger babies vaginally in smaller women than myself, so not to worry and to be patient.

I'm worrying though and feel my bravery wavering... I can do this, right? I can't imagine being pregnant much longer. I'm physically very uncomfortable.

Will having sex speed up the dilation and get labor started? Husband is more than willing to assist. I feel like a large manatee right now and not very sexy.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Guppiegirl, sounds like you've got a good doc there. A lot of docs would try to scare you into an induction at this point since you're considered full-term. Don't worry, fat is squishy. Your body will be able to push your baby out just fine!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 03-25-2011, 03:28 AM

Guppiegirl- sounds like we had the same appointment!!  38 weeks.  My cervix is essentially closed and posterior but soft and thinning.  She said baby is definitely down in the pelvis at a -1 station and is also about 8-81/2 lbs if she had to guess.  My previous babes were 8-12 and 9-11.  We know if he goes to 40/41 wks he will be a 10lb baby.  I"m fine with that.  Its all about positioning.  Lots of time on your hands and knees, birth ball, etc. I still would like to go before 42 weeks dd2 was almost that and although I had a perfect labor I"d still rather have a perfect labor at 39 or 40 weeks!  I wanted her to strip membranes but wasn't open enough to do it so next Thursday she will try. Its all fine- I will make it to my baby shower tomorrow which is good- there is still some stuff we could use so that will be good.  and I'll probably make it to work through next week which will give me more PTO time and more $$!  Although I have a friend who insists baby is going to be born on Sunday! 

In 1 week our month starts!!!  Can you believe it?  We've come so far together and we are now at the end!!

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

ok i complain a lot dont I? i cant stop crying i feel horrid and I just want to be done. 37 weeks today but I just want a damn cookie or piece of cake. What kind of cruel joke is this being pregnant and not even being able to eat anything fun. I discovered last night chinese food  is not good for someone with sugar issues. and I thought I made good choices. my bg went over 250. it came down ok and I was fine but damn seriously. i ate veggies and beef. WTH

UGHH

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 AM

Kittn, have you checked the diabetic food section at the grocery store? You should be able to have cookies and cake without sugar. Or pick up some Splenda and make some yourself. I have PCOS, so I have to be careful with my sugar and I've used Splenda for baking with great success.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 AM

Ugh, so tired today. Yesterday was the first time this pregnancy I felt done. I reluctantly dressed for the gym and even drove all the way there just to leave when I got to the parking lot. I did get some shopping done at Target. I feel heavy and physically done. DH took the girls to a pottery painting place and to dinner last night, so I had several hours alone. So nice. I did nothing. Seriously. I watched man v food, ate some dinner and sat on the exercise ball. In peace and quiet smile.gif

Anyway, I'm feeling crampy with a lower back ache today. Not sure what's up with that.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Heading out to the store to pick up some RRL tea and EPO capsules. I am so ready to be done! Anybody have any guidelines on how often to drink the tea or use the capsules? I didn't use them with DS.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 AM

i cant use the artificial sweetners they make me violently ill. i am going to try a cake i make with stevia tonight. we shall see. the issue isnt just the sugar but the general carb count. ughh at least im almost there right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post

Kittn, have you checked the diabetic food section at the grocery store? You should be able to have cookies and cake without sugar. Or pick up some Splenda and make some yourself. I have PCOS, so I have to be careful with my sugar and I've used Splenda for baking with great success.

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 PM

Have you tried sucanat? It it much lower in carbs than white sugar, and far more nutritious. Maybe a combo of stevia + sucanat, to help cut the odd taste some brands of stevia can have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post

i cant use the artificial sweetners they make me violently ill. i am going to try a cake i make with stevia tonight. we shall see. the issue isnt just the sugar but the general carb count. ughh at least im almost there right?

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
Old 03-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Same here- all artificial sweeteners give me diarrhea and make me feel really icky. Any idea why this happens for you? people think I'm weird when I say this- including any doctor I've ever talked to.

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
Old 03-25-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Ditto on stevia with a combo of a natural sugar. I haven't baked with stevia but use it in iced coffee (half that, half sugar). I've baked with sucanat and it works well. I also really like using palm sugar both in coffee and in baking. I love the smell of it! It smells like graham crackers but doesn't impart a flavor.

EPO - I'm taking two by mouth and inserting 2 vaginally. I started waiting to insert them until my 2am bathroom run. I usually sleep from 2-5 and that is long enough for it to dissolve and absorb and not leak when I get up. But, when I was putting it in at 10:30 or 11 for some reason, and peeing at 2, I felt it running out and didn't really care for that.  I'll probably keep that amount up until the baby's born and not increase it.  RRL tea - many try to drink a quart a day. Lots of ways to prepare it too. Hot, iced. I like lemon and honey. Some brew another flavor of tea with it or add some juice. Many make a big batch for a day or couple days.

I can't believe how many babies we've had born!

I keep thinking that my time is nearing but I know that I really can't know that (37w4d or 6d). I got a walk in today, and it felt good. It was a flat, slow walk in my neighborhood. It's sooo beautiful today (any other Seattlites here?).

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 PM

I have never heard of it before. ill have to check it out. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleumoose View Post

Have you tried sucanat? It it much lower in carbs than white sugar, and far more nutritious. Maybe a combo of stevia + sucanat, to help cut the odd taste some brands of stevia can have?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:52 PM

I am very chemically sensitive so whatever they use to "create" the sweetener makes me sick. the worst is nutrasweet my face actually swells and gets red! i can take a very very very small(read one bite or sip) of anything with splenda and even that can give me the trots!

there are very few things I can use that have any kind of chemical because i am so sensitive (heaven knows my lack of candor and sensitivity in other  areas makes up for it) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaRN View Post

Same here- all artificial sweeteners give me diarrhea and make me feel really icky. Any idea why this happens for you? people think I'm weird when I say this- including any doctor I've ever talked to.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 AM

Good morning! My two year old woke me up by singing "it's morning over heeeeere!" and whispering "pancakes, pancakes, pancakes..." in my ear. I love it!

I had contractions all day yesterday. A handful during a playgroup in the morning, then I laid down for a nap with DD and they were coming every 7-8 minutes for several hours. Eventually they slowed down and by the time I went to bed they were done. I hope they did something, but mostly I wish it meant I would be having this baby soon. It's frustrating to think that this could go on for another several weeks.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:43 AM

So cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannybanany View Post

Good morning! My two year old woke me up by singing "it's morning over heeeeere!" and whispering "pancakes, pancakes, pancakes..." in my ear. I love it!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:09 AM

today is my due date!! carrot.gif

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 03-26-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

joy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post

today is my due date!! carrot.gif

Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I am very chemically sensitive so whatever they use to "create" the sweetener makes me sick. the worst is nutrasweet my face actually swells and gets red! i can take a very very very small(read one bite or sip) of anything with splenda and even that can give me the trots!

there are very few things I can use that have any kind of chemical because i am so sensitive (heaven knows my lack of candor and sensitivity in other  areas makes up for it) 

Yea same here. Even one sip of something with splenda will wreck me.. I can tell right away if it has it. Alot of times we'll get something that doesn't say anything about splenda and I tell DH "this has splenda or something in it". He'll swear it doesn't, check all the labels, etc. and not see it anywhere and then sure enough we'll find out later it has it. I can TELL! I made a grave mistake with this last summer when McDonalds came out with their smoothies. I had a cold the first time I tried one and my taste buds were off. I drank the WHOLE darn thing before realizing my mistake.... the 2nd half of that road trip was NOT very pleasant. lol. Again, DH and even the employees swore there was no Splenda or artificial sweetners in it. Looked online and BAM there it is, SPLENDA! grrr.

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
Old 03-26-2011, 01:27 PM

I'm making my list of things I need to do yet.  I would like to get a haircut and a pedicure.  I need to pack the hospital bag.  Still need to find an oufit for the baby.

Still need a name!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:58 PM

I need to do some catching up, but FYI -- I gave birth Thursday and posted my birth story and a few pictures over in the March DDC (Sebastian Cook thread).

Planned homebirth turned surprise breech (footling) homebirth!!

And here I was so sure I'd be an April mom!!

Now, off to read the last 26 posts in this thread.  ;)

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Congratulations neuromancer!  heading over to march to read your  story...

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
Old 03-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Neuromancer, that was an awesome story. Congrats on a gorgeous little guy!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Congrats, Neuromancer! I hope you are enjoying your new little one! love.gif

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

User Tag List